New Feature Coming - Targeting Heroes

Comments

• Dogface
    Dogface Posts: 967 Critical Contributor
    Just to be sure, I'm keeping all my LT's and CP in store. Never much of a hoarder, but this feature looks promising enough to wait for.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    I read around this forum that the devs are anti-hoarding and I'm not sure how true it is.

Assuming it's true, I don't think they will build this feature mainly around opening tokens because 1) Hoarders benefit greatly. 2) It will prove that hoarding is future-proof. These two effects work against the dev's belief. 

Hopefully, there's some update next week.  >:)
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    @HoundofShadow, in the past the Devs had said they are against hoarding, in principle, but often new features like Shield Clearance Levels and Bonus Heroes greatly rewarded hoarders so “forum wisdom” tends to favor hoarding. 
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,244 Chairperson of the Boards
    When the Champion system was introduced, hoarders were the big winners. Until then all extra covers were just sold for iso. Many players heard about the coming system, and began to hoard, and came out far ahead of those who had been opening tokens as they got them.  
  • supergarv
    supergarv Posts: 408 Mover and Shaker
    Of course the devs don‘t „like“ people hoarding. They want players to spend and buy all the time, and always be short of resources.

However, the game and its mechanics hugely favor hoarding. The wisest thing would be to hoard for months or years, but that tires people out, and is not really a joyful thing to do.

Despite the devs not wanting it, they sure do a bare minimum to work against it. Took many years to finally get saved covers.

Some time ago, prestiging chars was rumoured and people hoarded like crazy. To prevent hoarding, communication and positive gameplay loops are required.
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,651 Chairperson of the Boards
    supergarv said:
    Of course the devs don‘t „like“ people hoarding. They want players to spend and buy all the time, and always be short of resources.

However, the game and its mechanics hugely favor hoarding. The wisest thing would be to hoard for months or years, but that tires people out, and is not really a joyful thing to do.

Despite the devs not wanting it, they sure do a bare minimum to work against it. Took many years to finally get saved covers.

Some time ago, prestiging chars was rumoured and people hoarded like crazy. To prevent hoarding, communication and positive gameplay loops are required.
    Hoarding for years would actually not be wise for 4* characters or 5*'s for that matter. The longer you wait the more diluted the pool becomes. You may miss some really good 5*'s from latest legends that would then be in the larger diluted classics and harder to cover or catch up on.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2019
    Based on what have been shared by the vets, hoarders benefit greatly from hoarding: SCL, Championing and Bonus Heroes. I agree with the first two but I think BH don't impact hoarders a lot because it's directly related to RNG. 500 pulls will net about 25 extra 4* covers and 3 extra 5* covers from Bonus Heroes, which doesn't seem significant.

For those who benefited from the above, are they also the ones with excessive iso-8?
  • CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hoarders didn't really benefit from SCL as xp was applied retroactively.

• supergarv
    supergarv Posts: 408 Mover and Shaker
    CT1888 said:

They did, because at that time you got XP for applying covers that you hoarded.

As for the „hoarding for years“: Yeah, theres a cutoff when you‘re not in the meta (or a wrong one - looking at you, Gambolt). But say you got Okoye/Thor on their first run and hoarded since, you should be around 1200 LT pulls, that gets you close(r) to the magic 550 trinity of a Latest3, and with that you‘re a golden god (among other MMR gods, so yeah, it always comes at a price)
  • Vins2
    Vins2 Posts: 183 Tile Toppler
    I may be in the minority here.. but I almost wish that they didn’t make an announcement about an announcement on whats coming.. the speculation (even if not official and completer our own doing) can lead us down a path where we start feeling good.. then it rolls out and it’s the complete opposite.. at least if they just rolled it out we could “critique” it and go from there but this speculation is, to me, a painfully unnecessary first step.. *shrug* my two cents
    I think they rushed out the announcement of an incoming system to get the pressure off of them for a disappointing anniversary.  We would still be wondering about feeders and if Carbage meant the end of the anniversary semi-season.
  • Aldaen
    Aldaen Posts: 24 Just Dropped In
    IceIX said:
    chrisH said:
    Can you give some details on what counts as progress towards your target hero cover? Opening tokens, placement in events ect?
    Those kind of details will be coming out in the next couple weeks, yes.
    So this week will be 2 weeks.  Any details this week?
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    CT1888 said:

It was only applied retroactively up to a maximum level of 60 when the feature rolled out, IIRC.  Plenty of people were in that situation so the ones who hoarded got a jump-start over the ones who didn’t, assuming play-style and spending was otherwise the same.
  • CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    ZootSax said:
    CT1888 said:

It was only applied retroactively up to a maximum level of 60 when the feature rolled out, IIRC.  Plenty of people were in that situation so the ones who hoarded got a jump-start over the ones who didn’t, assuming play-style and spending was otherwise the same.
    I stand corrected twice, cheers! 
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    I may be in the minority here.. but I almost wish that they didn’t make an announcement about an announcement on whats coming.. the speculation (even if not official and completer our own doing) can lead us down a path where we start feeling good.. then it rolls out and it’s the complete opposite.. at least if they just rolled it out we could “critique” it and go from there but this speculation is, to me, a painfully unnecessary first step.. *shrug* my two cents
    One additional thing to remember is in an interview they did they said a new feature would be coming before the end of the year.  By announcing it in an interview it is very smart to announce it on the forums to tease what thy will be bringing.

i will also say I appreciate any communication on things the devs are working on and wish they would take more time to communicate what they are working on and how they feel about the state of the game and how the game is working.
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,651 Chairperson of the Boards
    shardwick said:
    Borstock said:
    370 Bishops and WorthyCaps....everywhere. 
    Took the words right out of my mouth 😂
    Yeah, I don't envy 5* players. Though in 4* land it's Juggs, Juggs and more Juggs.

Last season: Wooo I'm one of the few that has a champed Juggs.
    This season: Dammit.
    Hey don't know if you got round to this yet but yesterday I sat down and hit sim hard and as I expected Gamora, Rocket and Juggy were devastating. I quickly got to 50 wins without a single health pack. Unfortunately at 1900 points all I see now is Kitty, Rocket and Bishop and I've been pushed back to 1700 so I'm going to just have to grind for the 25 wins for the 2099 cover 😒
    Yeah at this point I just play fun teams in sim. Which is currently Kitty, OML, Iceman. They have 3 cheap power options and firing any of them will get kitty buffing tiles.

When I find bishop with gritty I use black suit spidey, vulture, and bishop. I lose bishop every match but the other 2 come out fine. Just focus black because once vulure is flying it's over. It's not a super speedy team but it works.

When I find worthy cap I use kitty, bishop, gamora. Gamoras cheaper stun means I can lock down cap before he gets rolling and she generates specials for kitty to buff when she stuns people. You just have to not match kitties colors early in the match.

I take many more hits with 3 synergistic 5*'s as my defensive team than I do by just using bishop gritty. I can play any teams I want and still get to 75 wins just fine.

Seeing busted bishop and worthy cap just severely limits my team options and sucks the variety straight out of the game. Horribly designed characters imo. If we had more hard counters for their designs it would be a bit better but still obnoxious.
  • DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,191 Chairperson of the Boards
    bluewolf said:
    We need some news this week on this.  The thread is veering off into broken meta discussion.....help us, developers!  Save us from Bishop creep!

Don't all threads veer off in that direction :smile:
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2019
    CT1888 said:
    ZootSax said:
    CT1888 said:

I stand corrected twice, cheers! 
    Another thing to remember is that when SCL first rolled out, XP was given for Green-checking nodes in story, so loads of us had really inflated SCL ranks compared to the actual shape of our roster if we'd been playing with any regularity to that point. It was only later that they switched it to "roster building activities" like applying champ levels and adding new characters that you'd never previously rostered. So that feature benefited all players at launch perhaps more than was intended initially.

I was actually just thinking that it's been awhile since I'd seen a thread get OVERCLOCKED! and was wondering if y'all had found a counter to Bishop I missed out on lol.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,244 Chairperson of the Boards
    I was thinking more about the timing:

The season ends November 11th.

Carnage enters November 18th.

Thanksgiving week is the following week and I assume the devs would want to avoid launching a new feature (with potential bugs) on a week when there are likely to be staff planning to be out early in the week and they will close the office for at least 2 days.

So I am thinking the new feature will launch in the next 2 weeks or so.  If I were them I'd want a system that is tied to opening things to be in place by the time the Latest tokens update.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    bluewolf said:
    [...] I assume the devs would want to avoid launching a new feature (with potential bugs) on a week when there are likely to be staff planning to be out early in the week and they will close the office for at least 2 days.[...].
    historically speaking, I would say the opposite of this is likely to be true. Loads of things often seem to go live right across holiday weekends.