New Feature Coming - Targeting Heroes

Comments

• pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    bluewolf said:
    [...] I assume the devs would want to avoid launching a new feature (with potential bugs) on a week when there are likely to be staff planning to be out early in the week and they will close the office for at least 2 days.[...].
    historically speaking, I would say the opposite of this is likely to be true. Loads of things often seem to go live right across holiday weekends.
    Also, they love to hit the "Update On" switch on their way out the door before a long holiday weekend.
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    shardwick said:
    Borstock said:
    370 Bishops and WorthyCaps....everywhere. 
    Took the words right out of my mouth 😂
    Yeah, I don't envy 5* players. Though in 4* land it's Juggs, Juggs and more Juggs.

Last season: Wooo I'm one of the few that has a champed Juggs.
    This season: Dammit.
    Hey don't know if you got round to this yet but yesterday I sat down and hit sim hard and as I expected Gamora, Rocket and Juggy were devastating. I quickly got to 50 wins without a single health pack. Unfortunately at 1900 points all I see now is Kitty, Rocket and Bishop and I've been pushed back to 1700 so I'm going to just have to grind for the 25 wins for the 2099 cover 😒
    Yeah, I wouldn't worry about pushing to 2k until closer to the end of the season if you need the points for season pvp placement. I just knock out my 75 wins and relax for the rest of the season. Maybe do a retal here and there.
  • CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    wymtime said:
    I may be in the minority here.. but I almost wish that they didn’t make an announcement about an announcement on whats coming.. the speculation (even if not official and completer our own doing) can lead us down a path where we start feeling good.. then it rolls out and it’s the complete opposite.. at least if they just rolled it out we could “critique” it and go from there but this speculation is, to me, a painfully unnecessary first step.. *shrug* my two cents
    One additional thing to remember is in an interview they did they said a new feature would be coming before the end of the year.  By announcing it in an interview it is very smart to announce it on the forums to tease what thy will be bringing.

i will also say I appreciate any communication on things the devs are working on and wish they would take more time to communicate what they are working on and how they feel about the state of the game and how the game is working.
    Don't forget, there are people who do Nefarious Things with the game code, so this could also be a case of controlling how the information reaches the general playing population. 
  • Therealsmkspy
    Therealsmkspy Posts: 254 Mover and Shaker
    bluewolf said:
    [...] I assume the devs would want to avoid launching a new feature (with potential bugs) on a week when there are likely to be staff planning to be out early in the week and they will close the office for at least 2 days.[...].
    historically speaking, I would say the opposite of this is likely to be true. Loads of things often seem to go live right across holiday weekends.
    I believe 5 stars with Surfer was released around Thanksgiving or was it Christmas? 
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2019
    bluewolf said:
    I believe 5 stars with Surfer was released around Thanksgiving or was it Christmas? 
    Neither.  5*s were revealed in late summer 2015 and SS entered the game in September 2015. 

Don't believe me?  Check who created the SS character thread right after the 5" teaser announcement was made. . .
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,215 Chairperson of the Boards
    Turns out my guess might be wrong.....it was stated on Discord today that the feature wouldn't launch before 11/18 at the soonest.
  • ElReyFelix
    ElReyFelix Posts: 101 Tile Toppler
    bluewolf said:
    Turns out my guess might be wrong.....it was stated on Discord today that the feature wouldn't launch before 11/18 at the soonest.
     Did they provide any other information about the new feature? Is that date because of the new versus season starting?
  • Therealsmkspy
    Therealsmkspy Posts: 254 Mover and Shaker
    edited October 2019
    Vhailorx said:
    bluewolf said:
    Neither.  5*s were revealed in late summer 2015 and SS entered the game in September 2015. 

Don't believe me?  Check who created the SS character thread right after the 5" teaser announcement was made. . .
    Lorda mercy, hostile much? Heaven forbid my memory from 4 years ago is a bit hazy.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,547 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm now thinking this tease was a bad idea if we are so far away from any implementation judging by what @bluewolf reports. The radio silence will I fear drive many forumites to distraction.
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    DAZ0273 said:
    I'm now thinking this tease was a bad idea if we are so far away from any implementation judging by what @bluewolf reports. The radio silence will I fear drive many forumites to distraction.
    I mean I don't mind little teases leading up to a new feature even if we won't see it for like another month but yeah the silence is pretty lame. I guess that was their last "surprise" for Anniversary. I'd rather that they just give everyone a 10 pack to the post Anniversary vault and just surprise everyone with info on the new feature a few days prior to it going live. 
  • Chipster22
    Chipster22 Posts: 297 Mover and Shaker
    bluewolf said:
    Where was that said?  I'm reading about blowing out torches and not baking cookies as jokes responding to requests for updates, but I take them as jokes and not anything of substance.  I don't see the 11/18 date at all.

Am I reading the wrong timeline in Discord?

Thanks.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,215 Chairperson of the Boards
    @Chipster22

I have a screenshot I saved. I dunno. No other info was shared....  Maybe the date given was wrong. 
  • jtmagee
    jtmagee Posts: 158 Tile Toppler
    I say Christmas time. 
  • Zeofar
    Zeofar Posts: 45 Just Dropped In
    edited October 2019
    A guess: Complete missions/milestones with a chosen hero (Deal X damage with hero, Clear X PVP Nodes with Hero, Win X PvP Batles with Hero, etc.) during a season and receive a cover of your choice for that hero at the end of season. Mechanics revealed 1 week before start of next season.

• Omegased
    Omegased Posts: 553 Critical Contributor
    Zeofar said:
    A guess: Complete missions/milestones with a chosen hero (Deal X damage with hero, Clear X PVP Nodes with Hero, Win X PvP Batles with Hero, etc.) during a season and receive a cover of your choice for that hero at the end of season. Mechanics revealed 1 week before start of next season.

That's not a bad idea, but specifically PVP would be horrible. If you're in 5star world, using an underleveled 5star and a 3star would be impossible to compete.

If it's PVE based, it would be a LOT better, as it's not going to hurt as much. It will impact your time for clears, but I think that's a valid sacrifice for a potential 5star.

• Xception81
    Xception81 Posts: 406 Mover and Shaker
    Zeofar said:

I like the thought but feel like they have to give you a way to get a character you don’t have yet... so I think it’ll be tied less into using specific characters and more into something else, like tied directly to opening covers (which I don’t love the thought of). 
  • Scofie
    Scofie GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,097 Chairperson of the Boards
    Zeofar said:

I like the thought but feel like they have to give you a way to get a character you don’t have yet... so I think it’ll be tied less into using specific characters and more into something else, like tied directly to opening covers (which I don’t love the thought of). 
    I think they're more likely to want to keep momentum on new releases by getting people to play for them (keeps players longer and gets new players hooked) and new 5*s by pulling them and identifying spending that way. 
  • Barnstormer
    Barnstormer Posts: 6 Just Dropped In
    I'd be perfectly happy if it was tied to opening covers.  Every 4* you open adds XP towards a targeted 5*.  That would be a little better than simply relying on RNG.  If there was a way to get usage XP, that would be icing on the cake.
  • Aldaen
    Aldaen Posts: 24 Just Dropped In
    I'd be perfectly happy if it was tied to opening covers.  Every 4* you open adds XP towards a targeted 5*.  That would be a little better than simply relying on RNG.  If there was a way to get usage XP, that would be icing on the cake.
    That would be great!  (although what would opening a 5* get you?  Also shards for a 5*?)  I'm guessing it would more likely be opening a 3* gets you shards for a favorite 3*, opening a 4* gets you shards for a favorite 4*, opening a 5* gets you shards for a favorite 5*.  Depending on how many shards you get and how many it takes to get a cover, this would be very welcome.  But if 4* covers got you 5* shards, even better.
  • Xception81
    Xception81 Posts: 406 Mover and Shaker
    Aldaen said:
    That would be great!  (although what would opening a 5* get you?  Also shards for a 5*?)  I'm guessing it would more likely be opening a 3* gets you shards for a favorite 3*, opening a 4* gets you shards for a favorite 4*, opening a 5* gets you shards for a favorite 5*.  Depending on how many shards you get and how many it takes to get a cover, this would be very welcome.  But if 4* covers got you 5* shards, even better.
    That’s my gut feeling, but I’m hoping any cover gets you a shard (meaning the shards aren’t tied directly to level) and it’ll just require more shards to “redeem” whatever favorite you’re selecting if it is a 5* instead of a 4*. If the only way to get a 5* cover is to keep opening 5* tokens which have low odds, this won’t help much.  

Of course if my guess is right, then I suppose you’ll only be able to select one character for this feature, instead of multiple ones at different levels. And that’s not super great either. 

Here’s hoping it’s something we aren’t thinking about that’s going to be an awesome addition to the game. Lol