Supports are coming to PVP

Options

Comments

• The_Boogie
    The_Boogie Posts: 25 Just Dropped In
    Options

I’m really looking forward to this. As someone who tries to counteract the lack of rewards because of my PVE ineptitude by grinding out extra wins for 1* and 2* covers in PVP, this will make it a lot easier.

• Tanglefoot
    Tanglefoot Posts: 147 Tile Toppler
    Options

Did anyone really want this? This is supposed to be a simple game. Making it MORE complicated is a fail. Ascensions almost made me quit. Supports in pvp probably will.

• Seph1roth5
    Seph1roth5 Posts: 396 Mover and Shaker
    Options

All live/mobile games add stuff over time. If they hadn't done ascension/shards/support shards/3 and 5 releases the game would just be new 5s every month for years with nothing changing.

• CoxLargo
    CoxLargo Posts: 54 Match Maker
    Options

This is stup1d. The older players got richers...

• Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,751 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@Tanglefoot said:
    Did anyone really want this? This is supposed to be a simple game. Making it MORE complicated is a fail. Ascensions almost made me quit. Supports in pvp probably will.

The question was in the last survey so people outside of this forum must have given positive feedback. I said I wanted them but only on attack.

• turbomoose
    turbomoose Posts: 777 Critical Contributor
    Options

It is a trial run and they will tweak it after the experiment stage

• Zalasta
    Zalasta Posts: 273 Mover and Shaker
    Options

This is a great idea! I look forward to boosted supports the following season. 😎

• Glockoma
    Glockoma Posts: 555 Critical Contributor
    Options

Chaos 🔥🌎

• CHRISJN
    CHRISJN Posts: 108 Tile Toppler
    Options

i think if emma/aunt may are both not boosted, turn 0 cannot be done, against boosted characters with 200k + health..

For those who likes and do grills, maybe..

• Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@CHRISJN said:
    i think if emma/aunt may are both not boosted, turn 0 cannot be done, against boosted characters with 200k + health..

Sure, but it makes a nice effective scarecrow if you can essentially guarantee your defensive team is gonna hit for all that team DMG on turn 0. If you don't bring someone to negate that DMG, you're basically guaranteeing yourself three health packs used after every single match, even if you win.

Let's also not forget how simple it is for RiRi to stunlock a team and all the supports that grant green. You might only get 1 turn before you become a spectator.

I don't understand why they are doing this now. I assumed it took so long because they needed to tweak stuff for implementation into a game mode they weren't designed for. Instead, it's just go. I hate this.

• BriMan2222
    BriMan2222 Posts: 1,110 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@Borstock said:

@CHRISJN said:

Sure, but it makes a nice effective scarecrow if you can essentially guarantee your defensive team is gonna hit for all that team DMG on turn 0. If you don't bring someone to negate that DMG, you're basically guaranteeing yourself three health packs used after every single match, even if you win.

Let's also not forget how simple it is for RiRi to stunlock a team and all the supports that grant green. You might only get 1 turn before you become a spectator.

I don't understand why they are doing this now. I assumed it took so long because they needed to tweak stuff for implementation into a game mode they weren't designed for. Instead, it's just go. I hate this.

The ai prefers to fire more expensive powers. Its gonna waste all that red ap on Emma's red.

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 5,184 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@BriMan2222 said:

@Borstock said:

@CHRISJN said:

The ai prefers to fire more expensive powers. Its gonna waste all that red ap on Emma's red.

I think he rolls to see which power he'll cast, which means you'll randomly either eat some giant AoE or Emma's lousy red.

I don't know that the Aunt May team is even the biggest thing to worry about here -- I saw a couple other teams posted that seem just as unpleasant and reliable with the right supports. If more of these teams don't exist now (and I still think folks have more turn0 teams that are being kept quiet), players will absolutely discover the most obnoxious, reliable defensive teams fairly quickly.

• ArchusMonk
    ArchusMonk Posts: 191 Tile Toppler
    Options

@Borstock said:

@CHRISJN said:

The AI can’t boost AP, so you’ll be fine. If the defensive team is running Krakoa on Emma and 2x 80% 6 AP boosts, then worst case scenario, defensive team will have 4 red AP and 12 other AP. You need 6 red AP for May, so they’d have to match red on turn 1, then cast the red turn 2. That would hurt, but unless they cascade, they’ll probably only have 19-20 AP, not the max 30. No one should lose turn 1 to May on defense.

• KGB
    KGB Posts: 3,057 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@entrailbucket said:

@BriMan2222 said:

@Borstock said:

@CHRISJN said:

I think he rolls to see which power he'll cast, which means you'll randomly either eat some giant AoE or Emma's lousy red.

If more of these teams don't exist now (and I still think folks have more turn0 teams that are being kept quiet), players will absolutely discover the most obnoxious, reliable defensive teams fairly quickly.

On the plus side, the days of endless MThor queues are probably over because MThor won't be part of any of those type of teams :)

Also I continue to hope this change spurs them do away with health packs in PvP unless you lose (lose/retreat all 3 characters downed, if you win all 3 characters healed to full health) so that scarecrow teams who can just damage but not win are pointless.

KGB

• entrailbucket
    edited 24 June 2024, 17:20
    Options

@KGB said:

@entrailbucket said:

@BriMan2222 said:

@Borstock said:

@CHRISJN said:

If more of these teams don't exist now (and I still think folks have more turn0 teams that are being kept quiet), players will absolutely discover the most obnoxious, reliable defensive teams fairly quickly.

On the plus side, the days of endless MThor queues are probably over because MThor won't be part of any of those type of teams :)

Also I continue to hope this change spurs them do away with health packs in PvP unless you lose (lose/retreat all 3 characters downed, if you win all 3 characters healed to full health) so that scarecrow teams who can just damage but not win are pointless.

KGB

I think Retreat is meant as a strategic option to preserve packs when you're stuck in a match that you're clearly not going to win. I don't think downing your entire team as a response would be very popular.

It'd also break some other stuff that's really important for certain aspects of high end PvP. Fully downing your entire team on a retreat would make point dumping much harder. Honestly, it'd be popular with the Line coordination crowd that the devs seem to be terrified of, because it'd let them score a ton more, but it'd cause some inflation in the overall point economy.

• BriMan2222
    BriMan2222 Posts: 1,110 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@entrailbucket said:

@BriMan2222 said:

@Borstock said:

@CHRISJN said:

I don't know that the Aunt May team is even the biggest thing to worry about here -- I saw a couple other teams posted that seem just as unpleasant and reliable with the right supports. If more of these teams don't exist now (and I still think folks have more turn0 teams that are being kept quiet), players will absolutely discover the most obnoxious, reliable defensive teams fairly quickly.

Whenever I face mthor and shang (which is alot) 99% of the time the ai will never fire mthors red. They always use it on Shangs red, the more expensive power. Only if I either ko shang already or if they have enough ap to fire both red do i ever get hit by mthors red. Unless I've just been extremely lucky it has to be favoring the more expensive red power.

• DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,196 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Good luck everybody!!!! This should be hilarious

• LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,341 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited 24 June 2024, 17:50
    Options

@BriMan2222 said:

@entrailbucket said:

@BriMan2222 said:

@Borstock said:

@CHRISJN said:

Whenever I face mthor and shang (which is alot) 99% of the time the ai will never fire mthors red. They always use it on Shangs red, the more expensive power. Only if I either ko shang already or if they have enough ap to fire both red do i ever get hit by mthors red. Unless I've just been extremely lucky it has to be favoring the more expensive red power.

I have noticed this as well. AI definitely prioritizes SC red over MT red.

• entrailbucket
    Options

@BriMan2222 said:

@entrailbucket said:

@BriMan2222 said:

@Borstock said:

@CHRISJN said:

I think if he has enough to cast the more expensive power, the roll is weighted in favor of the more expensive one, but I'm pretty sure he does still roll. If he only has enough to cast the cheaper power, he rolls every turn to decide whether to save up for the more expensive one or not.

I imagine you'd set up supports such that you end up with a max of 6 or 7 red for the Aunt May team, and then it'd be RNG whether he fires Aunt May or saves for Emma.

This is the kind of silly stuff that's suddenly going to matter a whole lot when you're building defensive teams, and I guess the strategy is cool at first. But it's going to be solved and disseminated really fast and then we're all going to be stuck facing the same teams with the same supports.