What if any of these 20 buck 1 stars worth it if any

Options
17810121317

Comments

  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 5,029 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

    @bluewolf said:

    @TheXMan said:

    @entrailbucket said:
    How many points did that player have when you queued them?

    If the theory is that there's some massive silent group that suddenly can't play PvP at all but refuses to complain about it in any public forum, there's no way to dispute that. But I think it's far more likely that nobody's complaining because all of these folks are just fine.

    The offensive player has such a huge advantage in this game that it's possible to win almost any match. Softcappers at like lvl270 are trivially destroying CL10 PvE, vs like lvl650 opponents. I'm running 672s in many events and I lose to crazy low-level stuff all the time.

    Some people want to play easymode PvP and use fully covered characters to stomp noobs, and that's fine, I guess, but punching up is possible and has always been possible. Nobody gets locked out, because harder matches are still winnable.

    I don't think people are saying they cannot play pvp AT ALL. However, they make for easy targets and it has to be tough competing against OR, Colossus, mThor, etc at their new mmr. It likely does make their pve experience much better though.

    A Reddit poster yesterday has 35 roster slots, a 455 1Venom5, then a 5/1/2 3Khan and some low level champed 2s.

    Basically complaining that they can’t win PvP now and asking if they should sell Venom aka toss $20 out the window.

    Again I think the devs should/could have set some base level to allow players to see these ascended 1-5s.

    Anyway. I’m sure they liked the revenue and I’m not sure why they have paused the 1-5 offers but I still think making them less frequent is a possible strategy because we see them often shifting the value of what we can buy.

    I also wonder if they are reconsidering the fact that you can gather so many resources from rostering them with relatively low cost. Old days: join a buy club, get 140 cp from $99. Today: buy 5 1-5s and gather hundreds of cp and dozens of LTs from applying 1* covers.

    This sounds incredibly fishy. Have you ever played PvP with this sort of roster? When you've only got 2* and a few random 3*, the loaner is the best character you have. PvP between these rosters is basically loaner vs loaner, and as soon as they score points, someone with better characters will take them all away.

    This player may be facing more difficult opponents now, but there's no way they were playing enough PvP before to have any frame of reference. Unless...it's not a real account/story/player...

  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,726 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

    @bluewolf said:

    Anyway. I’m sure they liked the revenue and I’m not sure why they have paused the 1-5 offers but I still think making them less frequent is a possible strategy because we see them often shifting the value of what we can buy.

    I also wonder if they are reconsidering the fact that you can gather so many resources from rostering them with relatively low cost. Old days: join a buy club, get 140 cp from $99. Today: buy 5 1-5s and gather hundreds of cp and dozens of LTs from applying 1* covers.

    They haven't paused anything. Sometimes they have come regularly, sometimes there's been a decent gap between offers. Even if you buy a 1* ascended it's still a slow path. I bought three and opened 4000 standard tokens, which took multiple years to get. I still only had enough pulls to get two of them to 550 and one almost there. I doubt many people have sat on tokens that long.

    As for the in game currency I stated a while back when they were seen as super generous that they had blown up the economy.

    I used to have to hoard and open between 250-350 LT per latest three 5* releases. I'd have to use a mix of LT and CP. Now with how feeders are rewarded I can often pull what I need within 20-30 pulls. I have not had to go near CP in so long. My LT pot is over 1000 due to generosity in vaults and feeders. CP is just an ever growing stash I'm not sure what to do with for the best.

    I spent almost 8K CP in the anniversary Shang store. I've earnt that and more back already. I spent over 100K HP in the Christmas vault. I've earnt that back already. I also won't need a roster slot for over 3 years.

    Either they have shot themselves in the foot with in game economy or a new tier and token is coming.

    I'm not a spender, outside of the three 1* I bought and I don't play at anything like high level. I have just played a long time.

  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,378 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

    @entrailbucket said:

    @bluewolf said:

    @TheXMan said:

    @entrailbucket said:
    How many points did that player have when you queued them?

    If the theory is that there's some massive silent group that suddenly can't play PvP at all but refuses to complain about it in any public forum, there's no way to dispute that. But I think it's far more likely that nobody's complaining because all of these folks are just fine.

    The offensive player has such a huge advantage in this game that it's possible to win almost any match. Softcappers at like lvl270 are trivially destroying CL10 PvE, vs like lvl650 opponents. I'm running 672s in many events and I lose to crazy low-level stuff all the time.

    Some people want to play easymode PvP and use fully covered characters to stomp noobs, and that's fine, I guess, but punching up is possible and has always been possible. Nobody gets locked out, because harder matches are still winnable.

    I don't think people are saying they cannot play pvp AT ALL. However, they make for easy targets and it has to be tough competing against OR, Colossus, mThor, etc at their new mmr. It likely does make their pve experience much better though.

    A Reddit poster yesterday has 35 roster slots, a 455 1Venom5, then a 5/1/2 3Khan and some low level champed 2s.

    Basically complaining that they can’t win PvP now and asking if they should sell Venom aka toss $20 out the window.

    Again I think the devs should/could have set some base level to allow players to see these ascended 1-5s.

    Anyway. I’m sure they liked the revenue and I’m not sure why they have paused the 1-5 offers but I still think making them less frequent is a possible strategy because we see them often shifting the value of what we can buy.

    I also wonder if they are reconsidering the fact that you can gather so many resources from rostering them with relatively low cost. Old days: join a buy club, get 140 cp from $99. Today: buy 5 1-5s and gather hundreds of cp and dozens of LTs from applying 1* covers.

    This sounds incredibly fishy. Have you ever played PvP with this sort of roster? When you've only got 2* and a few random 3*, the loaner is the best character you have. PvP between these rosters is basically loaner vs loaner, and as soon as they score points, someone with better characters will take them all away.

    This player may be facing more difficult opponents now, but there's no way they were playing enough PvP before to have any frame of reference. Unless...it's not a real account/story/player...

    Well, here is the post. https://www.reddit.com/r/MarvelPuzzleQuest/s/JHWgyfmCb0

    It seems real to me as their explanation is that they came back to the game and started a new account and thought they could skip the beginning grind. Obviously they didn’t have a lot of PvP experience? Maybe they are (mis)remembering what it was like years ago.

    I feel like their issue is less “I’m losing points” vs “being matched against single champ 5s with 1-5 barely effective Venom sucks”.

  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 5,029 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

    @bluewolf said:

    @entrailbucket said:

    @bluewolf said:

    @TheXMan said:

    @entrailbucket said:
    How many points did that player have when you queued them?

    If the theory is that there's some massive silent group that suddenly can't play PvP at all but refuses to complain about it in any public forum, there's no way to dispute that. But I think it's far more likely that nobody's complaining because all of these folks are just fine.

    The offensive player has such a huge advantage in this game that it's possible to win almost any match. Softcappers at like lvl270 are trivially destroying CL10 PvE, vs like lvl650 opponents. I'm running 672s in many events and I lose to crazy low-level stuff all the time.

    Some people want to play easymode PvP and use fully covered characters to stomp noobs, and that's fine, I guess, but punching up is possible and has always been possible. Nobody gets locked out, because harder matches are still winnable.

    I don't think people are saying they cannot play pvp AT ALL. However, they make for easy targets and it has to be tough competing against OR, Colossus, mThor, etc at their new mmr. It likely does make their pve experience much better though.

    A Reddit poster yesterday has 35 roster slots, a 455 1Venom5, then a 5/1/2 3Khan and some low level champed 2s.

    Basically complaining that they can’t win PvP now and asking if they should sell Venom aka toss $20 out the window.

    Again I think the devs should/could have set some base level to allow players to see these ascended 1-5s.

    Anyway. I’m sure they liked the revenue and I’m not sure why they have paused the 1-5 offers but I still think making them less frequent is a possible strategy because we see them often shifting the value of what we can buy.

    I also wonder if they are reconsidering the fact that you can gather so many resources from rostering them with relatively low cost. Old days: join a buy club, get 140 cp from $99. Today: buy 5 1-5s and gather hundreds of cp and dozens of LTs from applying 1* covers.

    This sounds incredibly fishy. Have you ever played PvP with this sort of roster? When you've only got 2* and a few random 3*, the loaner is the best character you have. PvP between these rosters is basically loaner vs loaner, and as soon as they score points, someone with better characters will take them all away.

    This player may be facing more difficult opponents now, but there's no way they were playing enough PvP before to have any frame of reference. Unless...it's not a real account/story/player...

    Well, here is the post. https://www.reddit.com/r/MarvelPuzzleQuest/s/JHWgyfmCb0

    It seems real to me as their explanation is that they came back to the game and started a new account and thought they could skip the beginning grind. Obviously they didn’t have a lot of PvP experience? Maybe they are (mis)remembering what it was like years ago.

    I feel like their issue is less “I’m losing points” vs “being matched against single champ 5s with 1-5 barely effective Venom sucks”.

    I don't doubt that PvP is a terrible experience for this roster, especially if it's someone who's used to playing PvP with a stronger one.

    The issue (and it's a big issue, I think) is that the PvP experience for new rosters is so terrible that I doubt a player like this would even notice that their matches got more difficult. New player PvP is just loaner vs loaner, like I said -- the matches are really difficult and slow, and nothing in your roster really matters. Buying a 450 wouldn't "ruin" anything, because it was pre-ruined.

    Most new players exclusively play PvE, after they jump in, play some PvP events, and realize how absolutely awful the experience is. This is definitely a problem, and I do wish they could find some way to fix it (maybe run 2* feature PvP for extremely low level players?) but it's a different problem than what this player is talking about.

  • JoeHandle
    JoeHandle Posts: 203 Tile Toppler
    Options

    Paused 1* offers?

    They seem to drop on Fridays, IIRC, this week the offer was 2Storm. IF they are rotating through all 1s and 2s that works for me. Make a 5mo rotation.

  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,113 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited 5 February 2024, 18:23
    Options

    @JoeHandle said:
    Paused 1* offers?

    They seem to drop on Fridays, IIRC, this week the offer was 2Storm. IF they are rotating through all 1s and 2s that works for me. Make a 5mo rotation.

    i think they did this between the 1 star juggie and 1 star vemon (2 star ares) i say we see the next one star say tue or weds (hopefully friday that is why i get paid)

    im match again the same 2 .. thor and ben ahhhh

    hope iron man by thur got like 14 covers going bad

  • dianetics
    dianetics Posts: 1,451 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

    @entrailbucket said:
    I don't doubt that PvP is a terrible experience for this roster, especially if it's someone who's used to playing PvP with a stronger one.

    The issue (and it's a big issue, I think) is that the PvP experience for new rosters is so terrible that I doubt a player like this would even notice that their matches got more difficult. New player PvP is just loaner vs loaner, like I said -- the matches are really difficult and slow, and nothing in your roster really matters. Buying a 450 wouldn't "ruin" anything, because it was pre-ruined.

    Most new players exclusively play PvE, after they jump in, play some PvP events, and realize how absolutely awful the experience is. This is definitely a problem, and I do wish they could find some way to fix it (maybe run 2* feature PvP for extremely low level players?) but it's a different problem than what this player is talking about.

    This is something I have mentioned frequently and asked about in the monthly QAs because player retention is important.

    New player PvP is nigh unplayable. It is slow and painful until you have a decent set of 3's on your team as long, and even then it is insufferable because the pool of active players is so small you get matched against players with 1 champed 4.

    The brackets generally do not fill out so you can place high, but at the same time you will probably run into a lot of rosters much stronger than yours.

    I am sure the new 3s have sort of helped out in this situation, but I haven't started a new burner account to test it yet.

    It doesn't really look good until your roster has a pair of decent 4s to play.

  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,113 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

    Hopefully something by Friday

  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,726 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

    Now I have multiple 550 PvP is a completely different animal.

    Without doubt even with my **** 550’s it’s been easier than I was at single 550. I seem to be invisible??? I climb up to 800 or whenever I get easy seals within the first few hours. Get my 25 wins and then only really take any hits back from dual 550 players or retaliations from people I hit.

    I finished the last PvP with nearly 800 despite being at that level for 2 days. It’s not like I have a big Thor either. I guess I never saw dual 550 players when I climbed before so now I’m harder to queue?

    Anyway, those ascended have been worth the purchase for me and I'd do it again in a heart beat.

  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 5,029 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

    @Tony_Foot said:
    Now I have multiple 550 PvP is a completely different animal.

    Without doubt even with my **** 550’s it’s been easier than I was at single 550. I seem to be invisible??? I climb up to 800 or whenever I get easy seals within the first few hours. Get my 25 wins and then only really take any hits back from dual 550 players or retaliations from people I hit.

    I finished the last PvP with nearly 800 despite being at that level for 2 days. It’s not like I have a big Thor either. I guess I never saw dual 550 players when I climbed before so now I’m harder to queue?

    Anyway, those ascended have been worth the purchase for me and I'd do it again in a heart beat.

    Dual 550s are (generally) totally invisible to everyone who doesn't have a 550 roster. I brought that up somewhere back in this thread. It's a hard break -- 549/550 doesn't get the same benefit. You get an enormous scoring advantage from that cloak of invisibility.

  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,113 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

    @Tony_Foot said:
    Now I have multiple 550 PvP is a completely different animal.

    Without doubt even with my **** 550’s it’s been easier than I was at single 550. I seem to be invisible??? I climb up to 800 or whenever I get easy seals within the first few hours. Get my 25 wins and then only really take any hits back from dual 550 players or retaliations from people I hit.

    I finished the last PvP with nearly 800 despite being at that level for 2 days. It’s not like I have a big Thor either. I guess I never saw dual 550 players when I climbed before so now I’m harder to queue?

    Anyway, those ascended have been worth the purchase for me and I'd do it again in a heart beat.

    Did. They really matter this time I think I had a 450s. Thor and Ben

    Don't think I seen a single 1 5 star team. Almost every match was Ben and Thor lol. Lucky I got some. Thor Polaris or Thor chi teams and made it to 25 wins just using Ben and Thor.

    Question is my math right. I have tittle over 3300 tokens I thought if I open all I would have tons of 55o. But open. 50 and was lucky to move juggie and vemon up 2 spots. I'm guessing. 3000 tokens you be lucky to get them to 550.

  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,726 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited 7 February 2024, 16:57
    Options

    @slidecage said:

    Question is my math right. I have tittle over 3300 tokens I thought if I open all I would have tons of 55o. But open. 50 and was lucky to move juggie and vemon up 2 spots. I'm guessing. 3000 tokens you be lucky to get them to 550.

    I had 4000. I just about got Juggs and Spidey to 550 from 450ish. Venom was 450 to 548. I don't see you getting them done with 3000 standards. In 6 years when I've saved another 4k I will buy some more 1*'s!

  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,113 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

    @Tony_Foot said:

    @slidecage said:

    Question is my math right. I have tittle over 3300 tokens I thought if I open all I would have tons of 55o. But open. 50 and was lucky to move juggie and vemon up 2 spots. I'm guessing. 3000 tokens you be lucky to get them to 550.

    I had 4000. I just about got Juggs and Spidey to 550 from 450ish. Venom was 450 to 548. I don't see you getting them done with 3000 standards. In 6 years when I've saved another 4k I will buy some more 1*'s!

    That is why I'm thinking of waiting and opening up anymore till I get all of the ones I want to buy ... They will still get some coverd doing pvp and others but I think until I buy the rest I want mostly no reason in opening them.

    Though I do wonder i think if you did get it to 450 to 550 you make 20k hp.

    I wonder if you did that and started out fresh with all new 1. What those 3000. Tokens would bring up wise ( now there is some math. None want to attempt lol 😂

  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,378 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

    @slidecage said:

    @Tony_Foot said:

    @slidecage said:

    Question is my math right. I have tittle over 3300 tokens I thought if I open all I would have tons of 55o. But open. 50 and was lucky to move juggie and vemon up 2 spots. I'm guessing. 3000 tokens you be lucky to get them to 550.

    I had 4000. I just about got Juggs and Spidey to 550 from 450ish. Venom was 450 to 548. I don't see you getting them done with 3000 standards. In 6 years when I've saved another 4k I will buy some more 1*'s!

    That is why I'm thinking of waiting and opening up anymore till I get all of the ones I want to buy ... They will still get some coverd doing pvp and others but I think until I buy the rest I want mostly no reason in opening them.

    Though I do wonder i think if you did get it to 450 to 550 you make 20k hp.

    I wonder if you did that and started out fresh with all new 1. What those 3000. Tokens would bring up wise ( now there is some math. None want to attempt lol 😂

    I just looked at the sub rewards for SCL 10 again and realized if you can place between 401-500 you get THREE of those oh-so-sweet Standard tokens! On top of the 6 you can get from node rewards that's 9 a day! You just need to figure out how to grind just enough to not do too well because it seems like once you're out of T100, especially 200, a whole bunch of people are barely playing the event at all.

  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 5,029 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

    @bluewolf said:

    @slidecage said:

    @Tony_Foot said:

    @slidecage said:

    Question is my math right. I have tittle over 3300 tokens I thought if I open all I would have tons of 55o. But open. 50 and was lucky to move juggie and vemon up 2 spots. I'm guessing. 3000 tokens you be lucky to get them to 550.

    I had 4000. I just about got Juggs and Spidey to 550 from 450ish. Venom was 450 to 548. I don't see you getting them done with 3000 standards. In 6 years when I've saved another 4k I will buy some more 1*'s!

    That is why I'm thinking of waiting and opening up anymore till I get all of the ones I want to buy ... They will still get some coverd doing pvp and others but I think until I buy the rest I want mostly no reason in opening them.

    Though I do wonder i think if you did get it to 450 to 550 you make 20k hp.

    I wonder if you did that and started out fresh with all new 1. What those 3000. Tokens would bring up wise ( now there is some math. None want to attempt lol 😂

    I just looked at the sub rewards for SCL 10 again and realized if you can place between 401-500 you get THREE of those oh-so-sweet Standard tokens! On top of the 6 you can get from node rewards that's 9 a day! You just need to figure out how to grind just enough to not do too well because it seems like once you're out of T100, especially 200, a whole bunch of people are barely playing the event at all.

    Now that 1* and 2* are SO much more valuable, I really wish they'd find a way to make standard tokens more available. I know they don't want to sell them for ISO again, because it messes up the new player experience, but there has to be some way to do it.

  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,726 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

    @entrailbucket said:

    Now that 1* and 2* are SO much more valuable, I really wish they'd find a way to make standard tokens more available. I know they don't want to sell them for ISO again, because it messes up the new player experience, but there has to be some way to do it.

    I asked for the 1* tokens to be in all the above reward tiers in the monthly questions. I don't see why that is not possible. I earn less standards than mighty or heroics by quite some margin.

  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,113 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited 7 February 2024, 17:17
    Options

    @bluewolf said:

    @slidecage said:

    @Tony_Foot said:

    @slidecage said:

    Question is my math right. I have tittle over 3300 tokens I thought if I open all I would have tons of 55o. But open. 50 and was lucky to move juggie and vemon up 2 spots. I'm guessing. 3000 tokens you be lucky to get them to 550.

    I had 4000. I just about got Juggs and Spidey to 550 from 450ish. Venom was 450 to 548. I don't see you getting them done with 3000 standards. In 6 years when I've saved another 4k I will buy some more 1*'s!

    That is why I'm thinking of waiting and opening up anymore till I get all of the ones I want to buy ... They will still get some coverd doing pvp and others but I think until I buy the rest I want mostly no reason in opening them.

    Though I do wonder i think if you did get it to 450 to 550 you make 20k hp.

    I wonder if you did that and started out fresh with all new 1. What those 3000. Tokens would bring up wise ( now there is some math. None want to attempt lol 😂

    I just looked at the sub rewards for SCL 10 again and realized if you can place between 401-500 you get THREE of those oh-so-sweet Standard tokens! On top of the 6 you can get from node rewards that's 9 a day! You just need to figure out how to grind just enough to not do too well because it seems like once you're out of T100, especially 200, a whole bunch of people are barely playing the event at all.

    I would have to check my figures again but I had a bracket with 1000 in it. Went into sublevel rank 978... Just doing the 3 clears on the 3 easy levels push me around 280 or so so might be hard to get that 400 to 500 .. i think even befire paying attention i only did the 3 easy nodes and still placed top 300 or 400 ...I'm happy with making 100 per month lol

  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 5,029 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

    @Tony_Foot said:

    @entrailbucket said:

    Now that 1* and 2* are SO much more valuable, I really wish they'd find a way to make standard tokens more available. I know they don't want to sell them for ISO again, because it messes up the new player experience, but there has to be some way to do it.

    I asked for the 1* tokens to be in all the above reward tiers in the monthly questions. I don't see why that is not possible. I earn less standards than mighty or heroics by quite some margin.

    I get why it's this way currently. Before Ascension, standard tokens were pretty worthless, so they mostly were reserved for the very lowest reward tiers. Adding them would have been a big nothing for most of us!

    But hopefully they'll start making them more available now.

  • JoeHandle
    JoeHandle Posts: 203 Tile Toppler
    edited 8 February 2024, 01:06
    Options

    @entrailbucket said:

    Now that 1* and 2* are SO much more valuable, I really wish they'd find a way to make standard tokens more available. I know they don't want to sell them for ISO again, because it messes up the new player experience, but there has to be some way to do it.

    Crates of Standard Rations, offered in qtys of 100 or 300 or 1,000, for $15, $35, or $100. Choose one of the 3, once a month.

    – or –

    VIP value has become dated, add fistfuls of standards at several points in the monthly rotation.

  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,113 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited 8 February 2024, 15:54
    Options

    @JoeHandle said:

    @entrailbucket said:

    Now that 1* and 2* are SO much more valuable, I really wish they'd find a way to make standard tokens more available. I know they don't want to sell them for ISO again, because it messes up the new player experience, but there has to be some way to do it.

    Crates of Standard Rations, offered in qtys of 100 or 300 or 1,000, for $15, $35, or $100. Choose one of the 3, once a month.

    – or –

    VIP value has become dated, add fistfuls of standards at several points in the monthly rotation.

    I highly doubt anyone would buy those tokens at that price. Exple was open 50 was lucky to move up 2 levels so say 100 get you 4 levels
    If you had all 8

    If math wrong. Let me know
    4 levels 250x 8. 25x8
    2000 hp. 200 cp. Per 100 tokens

    Doubt they would sell that below 20

    I got 2 so far that would only give me 500 hp and 50cp so I doubt I buy it

    I like the idea on vip how about every 7 days the reward be. 10 tokens (40 per month). Though like to see 25 (100 per month). For 9.99 wouldnt be bad

    Though I highly doubt I would join vip