Class of 2016/2017

Options

Comments

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,259 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Thor's yellow is a bit slow, but it actually hits quite hard if you find yourself with enough to double fire it. I do miss Gambit's red destroying the charged tiles rather than converting them to basic. Now the cascade synergy with Negasonic is gone.

• BriMan2222
    BriMan2222 Posts: 1,104 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@entrailbucket said:

@Bowgentle said:

@entrailbucket said:

@658_2 said:
    After a couple matches with Gambit/Thor/Star Lord, I played Gambit/Thor/MEH for fun and oddly got at least 10 defensive wins over the next few days. That was too slow though, so went back to the first team. Went from 7 wins to 50 in one session on 8 healthpacks. I healed Gambit a bunch, but I never healed Thor, and Star Lord only once or twice. Thor started with about 2k health the last ten matches. Gambit’s damage is so heavy and reasonably quick that you can start him with quite low health and get away with it, even against 600+ opponents.

I saw someone here, on some thread, say that Gambit's buff was bad/disappointing, and that he was still useless, and I just had to assume that person hadn't used him. He's GOOD! He's a little slow but the numbers are just crazy, and he feeds himself pretty effectively.

The lockout is still a little annoying, and definitely unnecessary, but when he's boosted I generally want to use his powers over anyone else's anyway. Like, I'm not missing Starlord's purple this week, or Hawkeye's red.

I miss Thor's red a little, but yes, Gambit hits like a truck.

I dunno, Thor is sorta...bad...now. His passive AP generation is obviously still great, but his active powers are kind of terrible.

Yeah, but if his powers weren't terrible (hit much harder or were cheaper) he would probably be over powered. Right now he's just a battery for someone else, if he was worth fueling himself he would probably be too strong.

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 5,172 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@BriMan2222 said:

@entrailbucket said:

@Bowgentle said:

@entrailbucket said:

@658_2 said:
    After a couple matches with Gambit/Thor/Star Lord, I played Gambit/Thor/MEH for fun and oddly got at least 10 defensive wins over the next few days. That was too slow though, so went back to the first team. Went from 7 wins to 50 in one session on 8 healthpacks. I healed Gambit a bunch, but I never healed Thor, and Star Lord only once or twice. Thor started with about 2k health the last ten matches. Gambit’s damage is so heavy and reasonably quick that you can start him with quite low health and get away with it, even against 600+ opponents.

I saw someone here, on some thread, say that Gambit's buff was bad/disappointing, and that he was still useless, and I just had to assume that person hadn't used him. He's GOOD! He's a little slow but the numbers are just crazy, and he feeds himself pretty effectively.

The lockout is still a little annoying, and definitely unnecessary, but when he's boosted I generally want to use his powers over anyone else's anyway. Like, I'm not missing Starlord's purple this week, or Hawkeye's red.

I dunno, Thor is sorta...bad...now. His passive AP generation is obviously still great, but his active powers are kind of terrible.

Yeah, but if his powers weren't terrible (hit much harder or were cheaper) he would probably be over powered. Right now he's just a battery for someone else, if he was worth fueling himself he would probably be too strong.

This is a really good point. When everyone was using Thor, they were using him for his passive (feeding red to Gambit), and later, for his green (boosted by Okoye). Even when Thor was absolutely everywhere, nobody was using his active powers without a booster.

• Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,746 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@entrailbucket said:

I assume you are referring to me and that's not what I said at all in this thread. In fact you have just agreed with the point I made that his lockout doesn't need to be a thing anymore. I would also argue that having his two purple countdowns overwrite would be a good idea again. He still wouldn't be meta but he would be fun to play.

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@Tony_Foot said:

@entrailbucket said:

I assume you are referring to me and that's not what I said at all in this thread. In fact you have just agreed with the point I made that his lockout doesn't need to be a thing anymore. I would also argue that having his two purple countdowns overwrite would be a good idea again. He still wouldn't be meta but he would be fun to play.

He was referring to Vhailorx from another thread.

• entrailbucket
    Options

Yeah, I saw someone actually say that Gambit was useless and that his buff was bad.

• BriMan2222
    BriMan2222 Posts: 1,104 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2023
    Options

Gambit is actually a beast when boosted now. I'm using him with starlord and starlord yellow followed by gambit red does over 100 k damage for me. I never could have imagined just a year or 2 ago that there would ever be a time where gambit and starlord are my A team in pvp.

Also, just saw that 3 star gambit is the next pvp and was pretty miffed that I'll be locked out of using 5 star gambit in an event where he's the best boosted character. Is it really that hard to not have the 3 star version of a character featured in pvp at the same time their 4 or 5 star counter part is boosted?

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Or just make it so that we can use the 5* version instead of the 3.

• Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,837 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@entrailbucket said:

@Bowgentle said:

@entrailbucket said:

@658_2 said:

Agreed on this! When I returned from retirement, I immediately went back to the old Thor/Okoye team but it wasn't always as easy as before and I was getting destroyed on D

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,829 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I'm having to drag myself to the finish line a bit on this one and finding myself thinking about 2018 instead. Which will surely be Okoye + ????

• DrClever
    DrClever Posts: 584 Critical Contributor
    Options

@nwahs086 said:
    Hawkeye, Coulson, and Gamora was the best team to get to 50 while using minimal health packs... don't go against Gambit. He hits too hard.

Did you have any problems with Panther or is it easy enough to keep him stunned?

• Punter1
    Punter1 Posts: 727 Critical Contributor
    Options

I did Gambit, Hawkeye & Starlord. Was mostly Gambit doing the heavy lifting with some good synergy with Hawkeye feeding extra red and providing fortifications.

Finding these events fun to get to 25 wins, but hard to motivate for an extra 25 for the CP, not worth the effort for me. Especially with the same characters boosted all week across all events.

• LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,339 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@Punter1 said:
    Finding these events fun to get to 25 wins, but hard to motivate for an extra 25 for the CP, not worth the effort for me. Especially with the same characters boosted all week across all events.

Yep, this. I can be motivated to do 25. The delta in rewards from 25 - 50 just isn't worth the same amount of effort, to me.

• MegaBee
    MegaBee Posts: 990 Critical Contributor
    Options

@DrClever said:

@nwahs086 said:
    Hawkeye, Coulson, and Gamora was the best team to get to 50 while using minimal health packs... don't go against Gambit. He hits too hard.

Did you have any problems with Panther or is it easy enough to keep him stunned?

The only problem I have keeping Panther stunned is when I forget to stun him and he wakes up. If you consistently target him with three turns of stun, the blue battery should get rolling quickly enough to stun lock the enemy team.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    edited August 2023
    Options

I didn’t see too many Rogues, but a max-champ boosted Rogue + Gambit + Hawkeye made getting to 1200 easier than last event. Gloves Off does about 64K like that.

• LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,339 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@ThaRoadWarrior said:
    I didn’t see too many Rogues, but a max-champ boosted Rogue + Gambit + Hawkeye made getting to 1200 easier than last event. Gloves Off does about 64K like that.

After all these years, I still don't quite understand what Rogue does. I just know I target her first any time I see her.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    Options

She jumps in front anytime an enemy matches her colors, taking drastically reduced damage all the time. When you fire her green, she prevents the opponent from gaining their top color AP by directly matching (but not accruing in other ways) and she doesn’t take damage from them matching it. On friendly matches in that color you gain double AP and deal double damage. Once she banks up enough of that color she explodes it, doing a wild amount of damage for a 4* and a small amount to herself. Her red destroys a big block of targeted tiles and accrues the AP from it. She is actually really good if you can figure it all out.

• nwahs086
    nwahs086 Posts: 81 Match Maker
    Options

@DrClever said:

@nwahs086 said:

I tried to skip Panther teams unless they had a 4 star with lower health. My strategy against him is to stun him first with Gamora or Hawkeye and make sure he gets another stun before the 3 turns finish. You don't want him to wake up. If the 4 stars are too low level, the strategy might not work because he takes a huge chunk of damage. My Gamora and Coulson are maxed out so YMMV.

• entrailbucket
    edited August 2023
    Options

A sufficiently high-level boosted BP + Thanos auto-wins against Chasm/Hulk. It's... actually kind of funny. If you set Thanos for a 1-turn stun, the game just sorta wins itself while you watch.

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@entrailbucket said:
    Yeah, I saw someone actually say that Gambit was useless and that his buff was bad.

I said that I think gambit is still meh after his rework. Purple is pretty bad, and even boosted I still find his red a little underwhelming, given the cost and lack of boardshake and spammability. He is certainly not bad any longer, and when boosted he is a borderline viable main (but still too slow). But I think reports that he is straight up good now are mostly a people overreacting given of how traumatizing his nerf was.