Class of 2016/2017

Options

Comments

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

No need, if you are waiting for that to go off you're playing him wrong.

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,829 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2023
    Options

@Bowgentle said:
    No need, if you are waiting for that to go off you're playing him wrong.

Playing him wrong is wanting one of his abilities to work more often than it does?

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 5,172 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

If you're bringing Thanos to a fight where his green needs to do something useful, then you're probably not Thanosing correctly. Pair him with guys who can produce big single-target damage quickly, or bring him to fights where one enemy is much weaker than the others.

• Kolence
    Kolence Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    Options

Also, try to fire his green just before you'd be triggering Court Death. A bad cascade is still possible with just you making the moves, but much less likely?

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,259 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I maintain his purple should be a start of battle passive rather than an active if he gets redone

• entrailbucket
    edited August 2023
    Options

@ThaRoadWarrior said:
    I maintain his purple should be a start of battle passive rather than an active if he gets redone

I think that's too strong -- it turns off tons and tons of powers. I don't think he could keep that and the current Court Death.

Oh, wait. Are you still tying it to an unfortified CD tile? And he only places that tile once, at start of battle? That might be ok, but now it feels too unreliable...

• ThaRoadWarrior
    Options

I’d like it to be a unique destroy able, like chekovs gun that just happens the one time; or like She hulk 4* cd that starts out, but can be recast later is maybe better.

• entrailbucket
    Options

@ThaRoadWarrior said:
    I’d like it to be a unique destroy able, like chekovs gun that just happens the one time; or like She hulk 4* cd that starts out, but can be recast later is maybe better.

It'd certainly be more interesting. The cool thing about that power is that it's symmetrical (ie it affects both teams equally), and very few passives in this game work that way. Thanos stops the other team from putting stuff on the board, but he also stops your team, besides him.

More MPQ powers should work that way! It's an easy way to balance things that might otherwise be too strong.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    Options

It is interesting when it’s out what powers will fire that do some board stuff along with a secondary effect and which won’t. Like Okoye’s yellow will fire and do the healing but not creating team up.

• atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

So which teams did you guys end up using? After playing around a few teams, I ended up with Cap, Banner and Black Bolt.
    Black bolt is team cap and Illuminati, so he boost cap red and banner black. It is almost a full rainbow team (lacking purple active), so it’s versatile. I often chase black and yellow, so that I can fire banner black and cap yellow, which leaves a lot of attack tiles. The attack tiles can be beefy reaching around 30-40k.

• CharlieCroker
    CharlieCroker Posts: 254 Mover and Shaker
    Options

I played around with other teams to start with, but ending up using Hulk, Cap and Widow for most of my climb. Full coverage (other than green in Banner form). Prioritised green to hulk up asap, then yellow.

A lot more enjoyable than the Fury week (when I stopped at 25 wins) but some Hulk teams proved a bit of a grind.

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@DrClever said:
    Wasp got better, just not actually good as such.

I'm still not convinced Fury is worse come to that - at least if you play him as you go through 3/4 rather than as a niche adjunct to a 5* team.

@LavaManLee said:
    I'll argue that Magneto was better the old way. He was a one trick pony but that one trick is better than his mixed bag of meh tricks today.

Removing two colours and generating AP is pretty good IMO although it's possible I share the devs' (over)valuation of board shake.

Board shake IS super valuable. But demi and now BCS drastically over-cost active boardshake powers. You only have to look at fosthor and halfthor to see that passive boardshake keeping the board fresh for the player is phenomenal.

The problem is when getting that board shake costs 6+ ap per instance. The opportunity cost of collecting ap to make boardshake which helps you get the ap you want is rarely a winner in mpq (where speed is everything).

• entrailbucket
    Options

@Vhailorx said:

@DrClever said:
    Wasp got better, just not actually good as such.

I'm still not convinced Fury is worse come to that - at least if you play him as you go through 3/4 rather than as a niche adjunct to a 5* team.

@LavaManLee said:
    I'll argue that Magneto was better the old way. He was a one trick pony but that one trick is better than his mixed bag of meh tricks today.

Removing two colours and generating AP is pretty good IMO although it's possible I share the devs' (over)valuation of board shake.

Board shake IS super valuable. But demi and now BCS drastically over-cost active boardshake powers. You only have to look at fosthor and halfthor to see that passive boardshake keeping the board fresh for the player is phenomenal.

The problem is when getting that board shake costs 6+ ap per instance. The opportunity cost of collecting ap to make boardshake which helps you get the ap you want is rarely a winner in mpq (where speed is everything).

I think this just gets back to "passive powers are too good," or its less-nerf-encouraging corollary, "active powers aren't good enough." Given the option, there's no way I'm paying 6+ AP for something Thor (either one) does better, every turn, for free.

• Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I used to play SC Mthor and chavez in pve, but I found a lot funnier playing magneto, as he gets +2 blue with the +2 purple, and you can totally refresh the board just thinking a bit if you are out of combos, or simply if you want the killing ultimate cascade.
    Dr strange and thanos should deserve a rebalance before the day ends, but sadly they never will get it because they are really high in metrics usage.

• entrailbucket
    Options

Maybe I'm biased, because I just used lvl672 Thanos/Banner to basically one-hit-kill an entire PvP event, but I really don't think Thanos needs anything. What would you do to him that would be an improvement? What do people think he needs?

Dr Strange is pretty great at a thing (punishing active powers) that is completely worthless in today's metagame. If they're going to keep making overpowered passives, he needs a total rework.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    Options

I’d really just want his purple to be easier to fire or passive, maybe update his match and health damage. It would make him a better chasm opponent if he could shut down the board more readily.

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2023
    Options

@ThaRoadWarrior said:
    I’d really just want his purple to be easier to fire or passive, maybe update his match and health damage. It would make him a better chasm opponent if he could shut down the board more readily.

But he already completely shuts down Hulkasm.
    Just kill iHulk a few times.
    Boosted, of course, you're not going to run him unboosted.

• entrailbucket
    Options

@Bowgentle said:

@ThaRoadWarrior said:

But he already completely shuts down Hulkasm.
    Just kill iHulk a few times.
    Boosted, of course, you're not going to run him unboosted.

I run him unboosted against that (when I don't have anything better) and it works great!

• ThaRoadWarrior
    Options

It used to work great, but now court death resolved before hulk revives rather than after, and chasm does his stun as an interrupt to court death preventing it from firing if he dies first which I think is kind of trash order of operations behavior frankly.

• entrailbucket
    Options

@ThaRoadWarrior said:
    It used to work great, but now court death resolved before hulk revives rather than after, and chasm does his stun as an interrupt to court death preventing it from firing if he dies first which I think is kind of trash order of operations behavior frankly.

There is zero chance they did this on purpose, or even tested it. I'm not sure if we can blame them for that or not!

I've been able to get it to work a few times since the change but I don't remember how. It's a lot easier with Thanos buffed, and Court Death doing 80k for me.