Fan Favorite Community Challenge 2023

Options

Comments

• LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,322 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@Punter1 said:
    Also just shows TUs are not a huge part of normal play, bring back Environment tiles!!

Agreed. They definitely are not part of normal play. If trying to play as efficient as possible, Team Ups just get in the way for most of us.

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 5,109 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I thought I was the only one who forgets that team ups even exist! I collect Bagman team ups, and 95% of my list are Bagmans gifted by people who left my alliance years ago. I keep 1 or 2 slots of non-Bagmans so I can do the daily challenges.

• Ptahhotep
    Ptahhotep Posts: 419 Mover and Shaker
    Options

They must have included the team ups fired by the AI when they set the targets. The AI seems to fire its team up in nearly every match.

• Blackstone
    Blackstone Posts: 603 Critical Contributor
    edited July 2023
    Options

Team ups can be useful, there's just generally no reason to factor them into your win condition.

If you plan a team of three, to beat another team of three, and the team ups you brought become the deciding factor; you either failed at planning, failed at execution, or the enemy AI had some crazy cascades... Or you're a low level player getting some crazy TUs from your alliance.

That's not even meant to be a knock on TUs, it's just reality. Even if you only play an hour a day, you're playing several matches, mostly with the same few teams you've selected for various needs. Repeatedly. Everyday.. For years. And those teams adjust as needed and as your roster grows.

While an argument can be made for 1* Widow, TUs aren't part of that plan. Further, even if you had a full 20 of your favorite TU, you wouldn't plan around using it in every fight. It just wouldn't be efficient match planning.

For TUs to be relevant in every match, you'd need to be able to select TUs from a full list and save them alongside saved teams... And have them as a full time resource that isn't limited.

For this challenge, I feel as though an employee bet a case of beer they could increased TU use, and this is the result.

Anyway, just my opinion... Not a suggestion...I just don't see current TUs as relevant enough to get used this much.

• Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

For me TUs are something which sometimes I give to my alliance mates. Also something that I collect by accident, in the middle of the battle I see what I have and in a 90% of the cases I never fire .
    Also they are annoying tiles which stops my play. And I think it's the okoye fuel too.

• Captain_Trips88
    Captain_Trips88 Posts: 264 Mover and Shaker
    Options

As with everyone else here, I fire one team up every 2? 3? days, whenever its the daily quest.
    Every now and then if I happen to spot I've collected team up AP accidentally I might fire one just for the milestone counter, but I think that's only at about 800 since whenever milestones became a thing, someone else will know when they were introduced

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,233 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Looks like Milestones went live at the end of 2020. So it appears that I fire just under 90 (89.something) team ups per month.

https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/84108/new-feature-milestone-and-special-quests

• LavaManLee
    edited July 2023
    Options

@ThaRoadWarrior said:
    Looks like Milestones went live at the end of 2020. So it appears that I fire just under 90 (89.something) team ups per month.

https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/84108/new-feature-milestone-and-special-quests

Nice find. Since Milestones went live, I have fired 424 Team Ups. So middle of December 2021 to middle of July 2023 would be 19 months which is about 22.5 a month. I'm frankly surprised it's that high.

• Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,608 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I hit the 10k team-ups used milestone and pretty much stopped using them after that.

These community efforts do nothing for me. My contribution, even if I went ham, is such a fraction of the overall goals that I can't be bothered to care. It feels too far out of my control.

• WilliamK1983
    WilliamK1983 Posts: 766 Critical Contributor
    Options

I use em sparingly during pve and pvp for the same reasons as everyone's already said. I'll fire a bunch off during the puzzle gauntlet to work toward the milestone, I'm about 120 away from completing it.

Trying my best to contribute and have used around 30ish so far. Been running Kang on all my teams so it should count double.

• LavaManLee
    Options

What is the 10000 team up milestone? That's a heck of a lot of team ups.

• WilliamK1983
    Options

5* Cable green cover and 10 spicy tokens.

• Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,292 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@Punter1 said:
    It's interesting just how far off the target we are. The last couple of challenges the targets appear to have been set as a bit of stretch for the community, but more or less doable assuming slight changes in playing behavior.

This one is not even close. After a third of the time, we're just over 10% achieved. They must have a set of metrics for general TU use and you would've hoped that they would use that to set the target.

Also just shows TUs are not a huge part of normal play, bring back Environment tiles!!

I agree. Somehow their planning of how many team-ups the community may fire was way, way off their reward scheme. Like embarrassingly off. A portion of my casual alliance has half-heartedly been increasing our use and lending of team-ups, which is probably a microcosm of the community as a whole. It seems they expected most players would go out of their way to use team-ups, which doesn't make sense because you have to try and use team ups actively and collect the team-up tiles, which you normally don't do unless you are playing Okoye. This then causes you to spend a lot more time winning the match, just to fire off some team-ups.

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 5,109 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I'm pretty sure they'll just give us some extra stuff, this seems like a big miscalculation.

• Bzhai
    Bzhai Posts: 455 Mover and Shaker
    Options

@Warbringa said:

@Punter1 said:
    It's interesting just how far off the target we are. The last couple of challenges the targets appear to have been set as a bit of stretch for the community, but more or less doable assuming slight changes in playing behavior.

This one is not even close. After a third of the time, we're just over 10% achieved. They must have a set of metrics for general TU use and you would've hoped that they would use that to set the target.

I agree. Somehow their planning of how many team-ups the community may fire was way, way off their reward scheme. Like embarrassingly off. A portion of my casual alliance has half-heartedly been increasing our use and lending of team-ups, which is probably a microcosm of the community as a whole. It seems they expected most players would go out of their way to use team-ups, which doesn't make sense because you have to try and use team ups actively and collect the team-up tiles, which you normally don't do unless you are playing Okoye. This then causes you to spend a lot more time winning the match, just to fire off some team-ups.

Not to mention most team-ups have a long cooldown and are fairly inconsistent. Polaris has a 12-hour send cooldown, Nick Fury is 36 hours...*insert jackie chan confused face

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,770 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

The AI likes team up tiles too so it isn't like you can always fire one per match anyway.

• WilliamK1983
    Options

@WilliamK1983 said:
    5* Cable green cover and 10 spicy tokens.

I need to correct this, what I wrote is for one of levels for the boosts milestone. The 10k team up reward is 5* Carnage green cover.

• rainkingucd
    rainkingucd Posts: 1,322 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@LavaManLee said:

@ThaRoadWarrior said:

Nice find. Since Milestones went live, I have fired 424 Team Ups. So middle of December 2021 to middle of July 2023 would be 19 months which is about 22.5 a month. I'm frankly surprised it's that high.

December 2020 though I think so that would be ~31 months right. So more like 13.5 per month :p

For me it is 4960 teamups, or ~160 per month. I may be on the high end of average!

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,770 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Time to check how we are doing.

checks how we are doing

Let's not check how we are doing.

• Pottsie1980
    Pottsie1980 Posts: 39 Just Dropped In
    Options

I’m up to 3708. Seem to remember pushing for some of the milestones on that quest before numbers got crazy. Now just use them as a ‘get out of jail’ card if needed