The Guardians Have Taken Over

Options

Comments

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,638 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Bloody hell this is a grind fest. I haven't even finished tier one yet...

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@dianetics said:
    Tier 2 is quick, but wait till you hit tier 3.

It would be nice if Lightning Rounds were running right now.

Tier 1 is 15 vs missions Tier 2 is 25 and Tier 3 is 30.

You can just retreat, you don't have to win these fights.

• KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,942 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2023
    Options

@supergarv said:
    So, I consider myself a high-end player (not top-tier, not bragging - just saying I got the roster to "easily" do this).

I was down with the flu the weekend so I grinded the quests.

I tracked my time.

It took me about 13 hours non-stop gameplay to finish about 80% of all 4 tiers. It is agonizingly slow. I however need the ISO desperately, and it was dangles in front of my face...

But as mentioned a few times: The quest conditions should stack, all at once. No reason to do multiple "do 100x of $color/$power/$matches". And if we didnt have gauntlet running in parallel, even grinding all of pve it would be nearly impossible to finish the quests in time. If the devs played the game they would see doing 100x of a coloured match actually takes like 30-40 minutes. The numbers may look good on technical paper, but in reality this is too painful.

The quests themselves are cool to have, don't get me wrong. Please choose the time requirements more realistic, and make the quests fit the given pve/boss/pvp schedule. Thanks!

You know we have almost 2 weeks to complete the quests. I'm still on tier 1 and not worried that I won't get there with regular play (albeit using specific characters as required that I wouldn't normally use)

Grinding an extra 13+ hrs just to complete these quests for 100K ISO seems insane to me. You can buy 80K ISO for $99 bucks. You (most of us really) might consider that an insane purchase but if you grind an extra 13 hrs just for these quests then you're valuing your time at 80/13=$6.15 an hour. Surely you make more than that at your job or you can make better use of 13 hrs of spare time than grinding 100K ISO.

KGB

• Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,547 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@KGB said:

@supergarv said:
    So, I consider myself a high-end player (not top-tier, not bragging - just saying I got the roster to "easily" do this).

I tracked my time.

It took me about 13 hours non-stop gameplay to finish about 80% of all 4 tiers. It is agonizingly slow. I however need the ISO desperately, and it was dangles in front of my face...

But as mentioned a few times: The quest conditions should stack, all at once. No reason to do multiple "do 100x of $color/$power/$matches". And if we didnt have gauntlet running in parallel, even grinding all of pve it would be nearly impossible to finish the quests in time. If the devs played the game they would see doing 100x of a coloured match actually takes like 30-40 minutes. The numbers may look good on technical paper, but in reality this is too painful.

The quests themselves are cool to have, don't get me wrong. Please choose the time requirements more realistic, and make the quests fit the given pve/boss/pvp schedule. Thanks!

You know we have almost 2 weeks to complete the quests. I'm still on tier 1 and not worried that I won't get there with regular play (albeit using specific characters as required that I wouldn't normally use)

I highly doubt you'll finish Tier 4 through regular play. It might be possible if the quests weren't locked behind each other. If you could tackle "Make 100 Yellow matches with a Guardian on your team" at the same time as "Make 100 Red matches...", but you can't. In my opinion, you're underestimating how long these take without grinding the puzzle nodes.

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,920 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@KGB said:

@supergarv said:

I tracked my time.

Grinding an extra 13+ hrs just to complete these quests for 100K ISO seems insane to me. You can buy 80K ISO for $99 bucks. You (most of us really) might consider that an insane purchase but if you grind an extra 13 hrs just for these quests then you're valuing your time at 80/13=$6.15 an hour. Surely you make more than that at your job or you can make better use of 13 hrs of spare time than grinding 100K ISO.

KGB

Absolutely couldn't agree more. Convert your time to money with this stuff and find out how much you're "paying" for these rewards.

Isn't your time worth significantly more than $6/hour?

• entrailbucket
    Options

So it is worth doing then? I mean, if you can get a month's worth of ISO for doing 13 hours of work, that sounds like a pretty fantastic deal that everyone should be thrilled about...

• Bowgentle
    Options

No need for sarc... Oh forgot who I'm talking to 🤣
    Well it was a weekend of mindless grinding for me while watching sports, time that was unproductive to start with.
    So the answer will be different for different people.
    I don't think it took me 13 hours?
    But there should have been a complete list of quests and rewards posted, to let people make informed decisions on whether to work on this or not.
    Going in with no knowledge of later tiers is not how you roll this out.

• entrailbucket
    Options

I wasn't being sarcastic. Really! It seems like different folks have different complaints about this, and I was trying to nail down what the actual problem was, since it seems to be a problem. I still think it's fine, honestly.

• dianetics
    dianetics Posts: 1,406 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

If you need iso, then you need to do this.
    If you want to finish this your best bet is before Puzzle gauntlet finishes.
    If you don’t finish this now you will get boned

• Zarqa
    Zarqa Posts: 254 Mover and Shaker
    Options

@entrailbucket You frequently argue here that the developers don't design for the 'top 5%', which is mostly the frequent forum posters here and on discord. We here aren't a representative bunch so to speak.

However, these Tiered quests feel exactly tailored to the top % of players to me. It requires time (>13 hours!), knowledge of what characters might be most useful to complete a quest, required characters across all tiers, a relatively broad roster to make it easier, plenty of health packs, etc, etc.

I'm curious if this event has changed your opinion somewhat on whether we're on the radar of the Devs in their design. Genuine question, not being sarcastic here.

• entrailbucket
    Options

I'd argue that this is exactly the sort of low-effort (for them) stuff they should have been doing all along for the crazy grinders, if they cared even a little. I doubt anyone over there spent more than a few minutes thinking this up (as evidenced by the fairly thrown-together nature of it), and the structure for implementing it already existed, so there wasn't any real work to do.

If they spent months implementing a new feature just for this, and painstakingly laid out complicated quests for it, with events designed for it, that were targeted at the top 5%? Sure, then you've got a case. As it stands, stuff like this seems like the bare minimum of effort they could spend to acknowledge these players' existence. It's not nothing, but I'm not willing to say it represents any real change in strategy just yet.

• KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,942 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2023
    Options

@Bowgentle said:
    There's a million iso in there, though, not just 100K.
    That's about a month of play.

Point taken. But they often run 10x sales on ISO too where you can get 900K ISO for 99 bucks. I never hear anyone saying they are buying it (I assume someone does though) even though it saves a month of grinding which is probably on the order of 60 hrs (2 hrs a day x 30 days).

Especially when I suspect most of the people grinding for this ISO are just using it to level up someone like Green Goblin who they will never use or some forgotten 4* they are just farming for rewards.

KGB

• gamecat235
    gamecat235 Posts: 104 Tile Toppler
    edited May 2023
    Options

@KGB said:

@Bowgentle said:
    There's a million iso in there, though, not just 100K.
    That's about a month of play.

Point taken. But they often run 10x sales on ISO too where you can get 900K ISO for 99 bucks. I never hear anyone saying they are buying it (I assume someone does though) even though it saves a month of grinding which is probably on the order of 60 hrs (2 hrs a day x 30 days).

Especially when I suspect most of the people grinding for this ISO are just using it to level up someone like Green Goblin who they will never use or some forgotten 4* they are just farming for rewards.

KGB

I’m grinding to champ my 5* Magik and 5* Hawkeye.

I already blew all of my iso champing literally every 4*. =p

• Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,547 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Well, I'm pretty sure it wasn't worth it, but I finally finished. My final two rewards (vault token, CL token) ended up being 4* champ levels. A bit anti-climactic considering the effort. One boss event is better than that.

• Bowgentle
    Options

I got the 5* shards from my last vault token, which kinda felt appropriate for the effort.

• stef_focus
    stef_focus Posts: 107 Tile Toppler
    Options

I can't complain too hard. From the 3 vault tokens so far I got a Adam Warlock, Starlord 5*, and a Yondu.
    Anybody have an easy/reliable way to do the last tier 4 quest?

• Bowgentle
    Options

@stef_focus said:
    I can't complain too hard. From the 3 vault tokens so far I got a Adam Warlock, Starlord 5*, and a Yondu.
    Anybody have an easy/reliable way to do the last tier 4 quest?

Doing 6 million damage?
    Just play. It's not restricted at all.

• ArchusMonk
    ArchusMonk Posts: 181 Tile Toppler
    Options

@Xception81 said:
    Just so we have a list… Tier 4 currently has 17 quests (and maybe an extra one at the end like prior tiers):

-Fire 5AWarlock’s purple 50 times
    -Complete 40 missions
    -Fire 5Gamora’s black 50 times
    -Fire 5StarLord’s green 50 times
    -Make 100 red matches (similar to prior tiers, these color ones happen 1 at a time)
    -Make 100 blue matches
    -Make 100 green matches
    -Make 100 yellow matches
    -Make 100 black matches
    -Make 100 purple matches
    -Make 100 TU matches
    -Make 400 matches
    -Use 10 Boosts
    -Play 35 PvPs
    -Use 25 TUs (this isn’t an extra. Actually part of the 17, but it does stack with the quests from tiers 2 and 3, so wait to do those until you have all 3 tiers showing and then only waste 25 TUs, instead of doing them each separately).
    -Give 10 TeamUps to alliance
    -Deal 6M damage (used to be “to GOTG character” but I believe there was a fix that any character now works).

(Edited to add 12-17)

@Xception81 said:
    Just so we have a list… Tier 4 currently has 17 quests (and maybe an extra one at the end like prior tiers):

-Fire 5AWarlock’s purple 50 times
    -Complete 40 missions
    -Fire 5Gamora’s black 50 times
    -Fire 5StarLord’s green 50 times
    -Make 100 red matches (similar to prior tiers, these color ones happen 1 at a time)
    -Make 100 blue matches
    -Make 100 green matches
    -Make 100 yellow matches
    -Make 100 black matches
    -Make 100 purple matches
    -Make 100 TU matches
    -Make 400 matches
    -Use 10 Boosts
    -Play 35 PvPs
    -Use 25 TUs (this isn’t an extra. Actually part of the 17, but it does stack with the quests from tiers 2 and 3, so wait to do those until you have all 3 tiers showing and then only waste 25 TUs, instead of doing them each separately).
    -Give 10 TeamUps to alliance
    -Deal 6M damage (used to be “to GOTG character” but I believe there was a fix that any character now works).

(Edited to add 12-17)

You happen to have a list of Tier 3? Not the initial tasks which someone else already listed but the final 4 that come later? I’m on the initial batch of t3 and curious what awaits.