***** Magik (Phoenix Five) *****

Options

Comments

• Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,547 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@Bowgentle said:

@Borstock said:
    Holy moly, we're all sitting here debating on whether she's anything to write home about and then they NERF the blonde out of her. Okay. Very interesting. Very interesting, indeed.

I don't even know what to say about her, anymore. Maybe there's some synergy we're all missing where she gets ridiculous, which is why the nerf happened. I don't know. But I will say this... Her store art is mighty pretty. I feel like the art department did a nice job.

Have a look at those thighs.
    NOBODY has thighs like that...

You've never seen mine, handsome. ;P

• justsing
    justsing Posts: 507 Critical Contributor
    Options

Let me guess… y’all spent all that time nerfing Magik rather than making sure EotS was coded properly…

Meanwhile, Chasm is still out there doing his thing, and Kang has a bazillion bugs while still having the ability to cheese the CN node in under a minute with the right team.

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Logically, the nerf to Magik was implemented after EotS ended, and they have mentioned in the forum that they have already come up with the fix but they can only implement it after the event ended. I get you are pissed off, and this is what happen when people let their emotions get the better of them.

• Codex
    Codex Posts: 216 Tile Toppler
    Options

@IceIX said:
    Changes:

• Updated text to be a little shorter overall.
    • Limbo On Earth's Demon Repeater damage reduced by about 50%.
    • Limbo On Earth now always creates 2 additional Demon Repeater tiles if possible instead of only doing this at level 5.
    • Limbo on Earth's multiplier reduced from 25% to 15%. These two changes bring her Demon ability much more into line. It started to get out of hand pretty quickly in practice due to its self replicating ability. Still ends up pretty powerful, but not dealing tens of thousands of damage a turn per Repeater.
    • Phoenix Claw's base damage decreased by ~50%. Since this is permanent damage and is also being affected by other Phoenix Five's affinity Passives, this pretty quickly got to the point where Magik could singlehandedly demolish enemy health bars with no recourse for extremely cheap.

Can you update the main post with the new numbers or add this changes to the bottom of the post.

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@entrailbucket said:
    I just don't understand how they could look at a guy who's completely immortal, who steals the player's first turn advantage, drains all your AP, has a massive match damage boost and a huge passive, and say "oh that's fine," but look at Magik's unfortified 2-turn repeaters and go "hey slow down there, crazy!"

I think they're still trying to fix Chasm's order of operations breakdowns and various other bugs, before they take him to the chopping block.
    Don't ask me why, would be easier to nerf first, then fix his interactions after we all moved on to the next meta, but that seems to be what they're doing.

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,631 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@entrailbucket said:
    I just don't understand how they could look at a guy who's completely immortal, who steals the player's first turn advantage, drains all your AP, has a massive match damage boost and a huge passive, and say "oh that's fine," but look at Magik's unfortified 2-turn repeaters and go "hey slow down there, crazy!"

Ah, but he DOESN'T have a sword!

• Bowgentle
    Options

I also have no idea IF they are working on Chasm's bugs anymore.
    Maybe they have their hands full with Kang, EOTS and the Boss event bugs.

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,919 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2023
    Options

@Bowgentle said:
    I also have no idea IF they are working on Chasm's bugs anymore.
    Maybe they have their hands full with Kang, EOTS and the Boss event bugs.

Don't forget Thor, who hard-counters any character that needs to put stuff on the board, trivially goes infinite, and can easily do 100,000 damage for 6ap. Or Kang, who straight-up instantly wins the game when paired with a 3*. If characters paired with power boosters are a problem, then how about Hulk, who is also immortal and gives you a totally free passive AOE every turn for those guys to boost?

Listen, I love a good nerf, and I think the game would be way more fun with nerfs to the top 6-8 characters, but it's just impossible to make a coherent "this is too good" argument for any new character as long as these other guys exist in their current form. If you rate these guys out of 10, Chasm is a 15, Thor is a 14, and they just took Magik from like a 9 to a 7. What is the point? Unless someone's a 16/10, why even bother?

• Bowgentle
    edited March 2023
    Options

You need Hound to explain that to you.
    I don't think anyone else can make sense of what they're doing.
    He'll find a way how he can blame the players for it.

• DAZ0273
    Options

That is why I say let us have at it in her PvP with her un-nerfed. It was IMMEDIATELY obvious how good Mighty Thor was for example from the loaner alone. If she is off the charts OP then fine, chop her down but at least let us try.

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,919 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@DAZ0273 said:
    That is why I say let us have at it in her PvP with her un-nerfed. It was IMMEDIATELY obvious how good Mighty Thor was for example from the loaner alone. If she is off the charts OP then fine, chop her down but at least let us try.

I'm not sure that would help. If it turns out Magik is too good (and again, what even is the definition of "too good" in March 2023?) I don't have any confidence they'd do anything about it.

Here's what I'm saying: either care about power level or don't. Either have a standard and make sure all characters, new and old, conform to that standard, or just say "screw it" and make every new guy better than the last guy.

If you're going to consistently push the power level, that's fine! If you're not, that is also fine! Make a decision, and stick to it. If pre-nerf Magik was too good, then there's like 8 other guys that are also too good. If those guys are ok, then pre-nerf Magik was also ok.

• Bowgentle
    Options

Maybe there's some interaction with the next 5 we're not seeing yet?
    That's the only thing I can come up with.

• DAZ0273
    Options

I don't see how she can be "too good" when she is countered before she debuted. But then again I don't like Ketchup on Hot Dogs so what do I know?

• HoundofShadow
    Options

Time to petition Demiurge to run MPQ again. :D

• Codex
    Codex Posts: 216 Tile Toppler
    Options

@HoundofShadow said:
    The build you used against HulkChasm is 5/5/3 in the first video. If I were you, I would use 3/5/5 instead. It gives her 55% reduction in power and match damage taken vs 40% reduction. I think iHulk is a supernatural?

There are about 25-30 supernatural characters in the game. And only 5 in 5* land. Strange, deadpool, scarlet witch, Wong and now magik.

• HoundofShadow
    edited March 2023
    Options

Thanks for the info. IHulk isn't Supernatural so 5 in purple for defensive purpose is useless against them. As for that list, make it 6 because Hit-Monkey is one of them as well.

And as for the dev nerfing Magik, it's my fault. They must have read my ideas and nerfed her because they believe I can make it happen. It happened with mThor when I said I can create over 20 charged tiles on the board (before Riri existed). :p

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2023
    Options

@dianetics said:
    Is that Tod McFarlane? He’s really good and drawing terrible proportions. I’m confused because I don’t see any pockets and I see feet.

McFarlane or liefeld or one of those image guys. That gives me flashbacks to the 90 for sure. All that's missing is a beefy guy with muscles on muscles and pouches everywhere.

Although as you note the presence of visible feet is suspicious.