***** Magik (Phoenix Five) *****

Options

Comments

• wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@entrailbucket said:

@wymtime said:
    Feels like a great partner for MThor and to go against MThor. Although repeaters might never go off. I do wonder if MThor/Kang becomes a strong Meta if she just disappoints. While adding extra Demons makes her scary of those repeaters never fire are they still good??

What are you seeing there as far as synergy or countering? I'd avoid using her with Thor...Thor will blow up Magik's repeaters immediately, and I'd much rather use Thor's red power than Magik's. The only thing Magik brings to the table in that team is a mediocre-but-cheap purple AOE, unless I'm missing something -- I'd much rather have quite a few other characters.

Look at my edit comment

• Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,547 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@entrailbucket said:
    I think so? Right now, Thor counters this power completely -- it won't do anything against an enemy Thor or with a friendly one. Some people offered suggestions to fix that, but the power would need some pretty significant tweaking.

This, basically. I think Magik vs an enemy Thor is suicide. But I also think she'd be overpowered if you just switched it to "matched or destroyed". So, I was proposing something in between where she would be a counter to Thor but not a good teammate for Thor.

• Codex
    Codex Posts: 216 Tile Toppler
    Options

I don't think she would be overpowered in sim you would use Kang/HE/xDp.

In pick 2 SW/colo or mThor/Riri can easily take it down.

• dianetics
    dianetics Posts: 1,403 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@GrimSkald said:
    We're discussing a hypothetical, right? My read on the power as it exists is that they won't propagate if they're destroyed, only if they're a part of a match.

Yeah @Borstock hypothetical. Right now Thor completely shuts her down.

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@entrailbucket said:
    I guess I don't have a great sense of where 5* AOE powers should be today, damage-wise. I tend to measure them against Thor still -- I think Magik is cheaper but lower-damage?

Any 6ap AOE with a power booster on board is probably going to be pretty good. I think (depending on which of Magik's stuff is eligible for boost) the Okoye/Apocalypse/Emma with Magik team might be quite good, except that most of Magik's powers are active. In general I'd take Hulk plus a booster over Magik plus a booster because Hulk is free and Magik isn't.

I think her aoe is almost 2x more efficient than halfthor's. ~12k damage at lvl 450 for 6ap. That's extremely good relative to the base damage numbers in the rest of the 5* tier. there are higher-damage powers (like arcade blue), or sighclops, or revised phoenix green, but they all have harder to meet conditions. Even riri's cheap aoe, which is competitive in terms of efficiency because it's so cheap, has some fairly big drawbacks that limit it's spamability. This is just a very straight forward power that does instant damage for cheap. Sadly, that doesn't really matter because the actual damage meta in 5* land has been damage boosters for at least 5 years now. So even very efficient powers like this purple aoe or garg's blue can't really make a dent in high tier play when the comparison is okoye, 5witch, or even apoc/kitty boosting 3-6 passive damage ticks per turn, or SC melting everything with full combo.

• SourCream
    SourCream Posts: 102 Tile Toppler
    Options

First impression ..... not good at all.
    Manage to played a couple before LR ended.

https://streamable.com/rxls47

https://streamable.com/yo6qtd

• IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,313 Site Admin
    Options

Changes:

• Updated text to be a little shorter overall.
    • Limbo On Earth's Demon Repeater damage reduced by about 50%.
    • Limbo On Earth now always creates 2 additional Demon Repeater tiles if possible instead of only doing this at level 5.
    • Limbo on Earth's multiplier reduced from 25% to 15%. These two changes bring her Demon ability much more into line. It started to get out of hand pretty quickly in practice due to its self replicating ability. Still ends up pretty powerful, but not dealing tens of thousands of damage a turn per Repeater.
    • Phoenix Claw's base damage decreased by ~50%. Since this is permanent damage and is also being affected by other Phoenix Five's affinity Passives, this pretty quickly got to the point where Magik could singlehandedly demolish enemy health bars with no recourse for extremely cheap.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2023
    Options

The build you used against HulkChasm is 5/5/3 in the first video. If I were you, I would use 3/5/5 instead. It gives her 55% reduction in power and match damage taken vs 40% reduction. I think iHulk is a supernatural?

As for pick-2, try 5* Emma and see if her passive bump Magik's passive permanent damage from 35% to 70%. Crystal might be a good choice too with her healing and double permanent damage on red.

Some players are still having trouble with Chasm/iHulk with so many counters released? And I thought Chasm's healing is bugged and heals irregularly?

• IrisRyu
    IrisRyu Posts: 166 Tile Toppler
    Options

Uhm, that’s a 60% reduction in the damage output for Phoenix Claws. I understand the need to keep powers in line, but this is a very hard nerf for a new character that already has multiple in-game counters.

• SourCream
    SourCream Posts: 102 Tile Toppler
    Options

@HoundofShadow said:
    The build you used against HulkChasm is 5/5/3 in the first video. If I were you, I would use 3/5/5 instead. It gives her 55% reduction in power and match damage taken vs 40% reduction. I think iHulk is a supernatural?

As for pick-2, try 5* Emma and see if her passive bump Magik's passive permanent damage from 35% to 70%. Crystal might be a good choice too with her healing and double permanent damage on red.

Some players are still having trouble with Chasm/iHulk with so many counters released? And I thought Chasm's healing is bugged and heals irregularly?

It's a trial run, smart one.
    Not life and death, stay on your chair.

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I wonder where Thanos is. At least he's opened to team build suggestions. :/

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,629 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Yikes those are some big nerfs. I haven't checked the 3* thread but did her purple survive or has that been killed also?

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

She's dead, Jim.

• tonypq
    tonypq Posts: 549 Critical Contributor
    edited March 2023
    Options

Nothing like multiple nerfs before a character is even released to really kill the buzz and fun factor. Also really stung hard for me at least, when they changed 5Emmas red from boosting match damage to ability damage prior to her release. Although maybe some like that change, I like match damage boost types so that was a buzz kill for me anyways.

I understand BCs logic however and that they felt she'd be stupid broken apparently. But this sucks regardless. I still don't feel Limbo had to be gutted so severely.

• dianetics
    dianetics Posts: 1,403 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Better a nerf before release than after.

To be fair, her repeaters looked pretty broken.

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,629 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@HoundofShadow said:
    I wonder where Thanos is. At least he's opened to team build suggestions. :/

You could always get yourself sand-boxed! :smiley:;)

• Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

First they set a power to 6 AP and then they complain that it's too cheap. Obviously.
    Still permanent damage is something hypothetically good for long battles (not the recommended on speed modes).
    If the nerf already is unbearable she would be a meh character only for godboost use.

• Eirikr56
    Eirikr56 Posts: 29 Just Dropped In
    Options

Gotta nerf damage, we can't have fast matches in the Chasm meta now can we?