***** Magik (Phoenix Five) *****

Comments

• fight4thedream
    fight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,916 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2023

My apologies! It seems my post was poorly worded. What I meant is that the match damage boost with Apocalypse works but doesn't affect the permanent damage aspect of the ability (please refer to the picture).

I should edit that post to clarify that point. My bad!

• Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards

Round 1.
    SS makes aaaall effective the permanent damage.
    And I thought magik was the fiery top here!

• dianetics
    dianetics Posts: 1,395 Chairperson of the Boards

Crystal and Apoc are a monster pair. She does like 15k permanent damage once Apoc boosts. One of my go to teams and a lot of fun. Chasing red results in so much damage it’s a unreal.

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2023

Her permanent damage get boosted by Apoc or Emma. What happen is it reduces the base health or starting health rather than the current health.

If the enemy has 100k health and it has 50k health currently, and let's assume the boosted permanent damage is 10k and match damage is 3k, the health bar of that enemy would look like this

New current health: 37k
    Base health: 90k

• Bad

@HoundofShadow said:
    Her permanent damage get boosted by Apoc or Emma. What happen is it reduces the base health or starting health rather than the current health.

If the enemy has 100k health and it has 50k health currently, and let's assume the boosted permanent damage is 10k and match damage is 3k, the health bar of that enemy would look like this

New current health: 37k
    Base health: 90k

Look at @fight4thedream photo and look mine.
    This time even you could agreed that her permanent damage is bugged.
    Or than Crystal is 100 times better.

• HoundofShadow
    edited April 2023

This is a thread about Emma's passive and we are talking about whether Emma's passive permanent damage is bugged and you posted picture of Crystal? :s

• Bad

@dianetics said:
    Crystals match damage is base damage and boostable.
    Magiks is a percentage increase. So the bonus damage is not boostable, but the rest of the power is… which includes the permanent damage direct damage portion but not the permanent damage increase of 10%

Then magik deals chip, chip, chip permanent damage.
    While Crystal can deal a huge amount.
    If BCS someday realizes this Crystal will be nerfed for sure :D

• dianetics
    dianetics Posts: 1,395 Chairperson of the Boards

@HoundofShadow said:
    This is a thread about Emma's passive and we are talking about whether Emma's passive permanent damage is bugged and you posted picture of Crystal? :s

We are trying to compare her to other characters that have similar mechanics.

You can’t be that obtuse.

We want to know if she is working as intended since she has multiple damage interactions her red.

• HoundofShadow
    edited April 2023

I've already provided the math. A video probably tells a billion words. Here's the video of Magik and Apocalypse

https://streamable.com/0qsi4c

Here's some numbers to take note:

Doctor Doom current and base health:
    251018 / 271209

Apocalypse boost: 9348

Damage taken from Thor: 3012

Magik red match-3: 1898 x 3 = 5694

Magik's red match-3 permanent damage: 5694 x 35% = 1992.9

Using the formula I shown,

Permanent damage = 1992.9 + 9348 = 11340.9
    Total damage taken = 17034

Therefore, Dr Doom's new current and base health should look like this:

230972 / 259869

If you see the aftermath, the math checks out. So, for those who still insist that her boosted permanent damage doesn't work properly, please do your own math. Who's the obtuse one?

• Bzhai
    Bzhai Posts: 440 Mover and Shaker

@dianetics said:
    Magik does deal 2 types of chip permanent damage. Crystals is arguably better since she does it on matches, and magiks needs to be cast.
    It’s unlikely there will be any nerf though, since crystal isn’t having high usage rates.

But Crystal's only activates off red matches and Magick's to all colours as long as she's tanking. Theoretically if you equip match damage boosts and build a team of crit generators and board shakers her 35% bonus damage would scale accordingly.

Or am I missing something here?

• HoundofShadow

Crystal's passive permanent match damage works and gets buff exactly the same way as Magik's.

What you are missing is that they are still trashing Magik, despite not knowing how her abilities work.

• pepitedechocolat
    pepitedechocolat Posts: 204 Tile Toppler

@HoundofShadow said:
    I've already provided the math. A video probably tells a billion words. Here's the video of Emma and Apocalypse

not to be annoying, but I think she is called Illyana, Emma is another char and its confusing

• HoundofShadow
    edited April 2023

Thanks for correcting. It's Magik. :D
    Let me correct it.

• Bad
    edited April 2023

@HoundofShadow said:
    I've already provided the math. A video probably tells a billion words. Here's the video of Magik and Apocalypse

https://streamable.com/0qsi4c

I recognize that the blame is on me for watching your video that doesn't prove anything.
    Now look at @fight4thedream photo. Is a well advanced battle.
    The absolutely chip, chip permanent damage doesn't makes the slightest dent on chasm health bar and he totally will ignore it on the next revive.
    As he was hit by a mosquito.

• fight4thedream
    fight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,916 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2023

Ran a few more tests and can confirm that @HoundofShadow has the correct understanding of how the ability works: permanent damage is taken off of base health, not current health.

With that said, I agree with @Bad that it does feel rather redundant in the majority of my battles and would rather it be tied to current health. To be honest, the red slash is annoying to see because it feels meaningless for the most part.

I do really like her skillset though but that pre-release nerf :#

• HoundofShadow

I've already shown the formula on page 17 or 18.

• HoundofShadow

Try Electro/Magik/Apocalypse with + 2 red/yellow ap and 1 green/black ap boost.
    Apocalypse has stun immunity thanks to Magik and Electro feeds yellow aps and reduces AoE by x amount.

Here's the video:

https://streamable.com/wkam1d

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,613 Chairperson of the Boards

Why do mutants (generic) give Apocalypse stun immunity? It would make sense if 5* mutants did so as they might not be considered 'weak" but not lower level ones who Apocalypse would quite happily exterminate. Obviously also any like Dark Beast and AoA Cyclops costume (can costumes have perks? Might be an idea...)

Sorry...something about Magik?

• Belphegor666
    Belphegor666 Posts: 47 Just Dropped In
    edited April 2023

Wasn't Magik sorcerer supreme at some point, the kamar-taj support could have been useful against worthy cap. But I guess the phoenix affiliation hinders it.
    Maybe they will do a Magik and Wiccan Sorcerer supreme version down the line.

• HoundofShadow

Since she's boosted or even when unboosted, Thor + Apocalypse makes her match damage hit more than 10k easily because she tanks black and red over Apocalypse, while Thor reduces the appearance of yellow/red/green, resulting in more purple and black for her to match.