***** Magik (Phoenix Five) *****

Options

Comments

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,917 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2023
    Options

They actually said... somewhere (I forgot where) that a reason she was changed had to do with her interaction with power boosters. And that's fine! But the power boosters are all really good, and they make a lot of characters really good. I'm not sure they should be making balance decisions based on that sort of thing.

Really, Magik plus one of the boosters works great (if you pick Okoye, you do have to do some work to get the tanking stuff figured out -- they overlap on two colors and Magik and Okoye both need to tank), but without a booster, her damage is just too low for the modern metagame.

• atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@entrailbucket said:.

Really, Magik plus one of the boosters works great (if you pick Okoye, you do have to do some work to get the tanking stuff figured out -- they overlap on two colors and Magik and Okoye both need to tank), but without a booster, her damage is just too low for the modern metagame.

I was trying to make Magik work with Wong. Magik ability can double dip on the strike tiles, and she benefit from Wong 30% damage increase as she is supernatural

• IrisRyu
    IrisRyu Posts: 166 Tile Toppler
    Options

Good call on Magik/Wong. Maybe because I’ve never bothered to use him outside of required nodes, but his strike tiles are nasty and give Magik a noticeable (and needed) damage boost.

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2023
    Options

if you want to find the best boosters for her repeaters, you might as well use 4* Human Torch to replace her. It's a 1-turn repeater and there's no cap to how many you can fire actively.

• IrisRyu
    Options

Magik’s repeaters are fine, but I’m looking for the best boosters for her additional permanent match damage. After a bit more play testing (and following Entrail’s suggestion), I think Okoye/Kang are her best partners in pick-3.

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,917 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@IrisRyu said:
    Magik’s repeaters are fine, but I’m looking for the best boosters for her additional permanent match damage. After a bit more play testing (and following Entrail’s suggestion), I think Okoye/Kang are her best partners in pick-3.

Is this actually worth the effort? (Not a rhetorical question -- I'm really asking.)

The thing about Okoye is that she's pretty great, and she can make a lot of teams pretty great. If Magik isn't boosted or essential, does this team beat out any of the usual suspects?

The only case I can think of where I'd really want her is vs mass healers, and even then, probably only in pick-3.

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I did fight one Magik this pvp (yes, singular - nobody else was running her) and I came away unimpressed.
    Sure, I took a bit of permanent damage, but hardly enough to matter.

• IrisRyu
    Options

@entrailbucket said:

Is this actually worth the effort? (Not a rhetorical question -- I'm really asking.)

I freely admit that Magik is lackluster and is definitely not worth the effort for most players, but I’m a big fan from the comics and am biased to like her. If the devs had given Magik Jeffrey’s powers, which I don’t find to be at all impressive, I’d still be looking for viable teams to maximize her damage output.

• tonypq
    tonypq Posts: 549 Critical Contributor
    edited April 2023
    Options

For those who want to finish Kang, would you rather have extra levels on Wong or Jeffrey ?

Wong sounds more useful than I thought after reading some comments here. Jeffrey seems only worhtile for his green, doesn't seem like he'sanyone you'll care about extra champ levels.. Wong you guys say plays well with Magik and sure he can work well with Kitty, Polaris, maybe some others. It's unfortunate with Wong you can't puck what spell he casts start of battle.

• ThisisClemFandango
    ThisisClemFandango Posts: 652 Critical Contributor
    edited April 2023
    Options

there was Magik, newly released, and the devs toned her down as she was too strong, and just as she started matching, she didn't do permanent damage. And all the kids cheered! But I didn't cheer. I stood right up and started shouting. This isn't what her powers said last week! Have you all got amnesia? They just cheated us! This isn't fair! SHE DID'NT DO PERMANENT DAMAGE ON EVERY COCKADOODIE MATCH!!!

• liminal_lad
    liminal_lad Posts: 461 Mover and Shaker
    Options

I just tried running her boosted with Emma in the Jeffrey PVP and she died quickly against almost everyone.

• Tiger_Wong
    Tiger_Wong Posts: 1,018 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Sucks to be you.

• Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I've fought her a few times already. Each time really happy to fight an easy battle, by the time she has many repeaters she is already dead.
    And she still has her buff.

• Scofie
    Scofie GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,129 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I tried her with newly- champed Wong and Kitty on a PvE node against tile movers. The times Wong produced strikes it was an easy win. When he produced protects it was painful.

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

That's a good summary of Wong in general lol.

• LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,286 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@Bowgentle said:
    That's a good summary of Wong in general lol.

Yep. Definitely. Which is why in PVE it's fine to retreat and try again but certainly not going to do that in PVP. He's ok in PVE and fairly pointless in PVP.

• Alex502
    Alex502 Posts: 183 Tile Toppler
    Options

Wow, this got real catty, real fast.

Could we just focus on how Magik really didn't need nerfed before arrival and as she is, she's a limp noodle against some big hitters, and she didn't change anything most of us?

Its really weird seeing players go at each other over nothing while the Dev's continue to produce more bugs and more problems and more meh characters.

• fight4thedream
    fight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,920 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2023
    Options

Mod note: Removed off-topic discussion. Please keep this discussion civil and on topic. Thank you.

• pepitedechocolat
    pepitedechocolat Posts: 204 Tile Toppler
    Options

I think 5 magic has a design issue. When revealed (pre nerf) her role as a slow but very high potential damage dealer was a nice niche to fill. with lowered damage she is just chewing like a puppy and don't really have anything special to offer.

for her to be appealing again, she needs either to become dangerous damage wise again, or maybe be repurposed as a damage soaking character that slowly cook the enemy. (she would still not be meta, but at least could have nice uses in some side events)

• Codex
    Codex Posts: 216 Tile Toppler
    Options

As it has been stated many times, this character is not meant to be meta. This character is for players that fall into the following subsets:

1) like magik as a character
    2) like permanent damage
    3) like synergistic playstyle
    4) like interesting powers
    5) and a mix of the above 4 subsets