The ChaHulk meta

Options

Comments

• atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@acescracked said:
    Dude, non mirror match is really simple. It's the mirror matches that are tougher.

Kill ihulk until he tanks over chasm.

Dude, know the strategy (now), but I am saying that even with boosted 5*, chasm ap denial makes it difficult. For example, in the current boost list, buffed Ronan should be a great toon to use. But in practice, his RNG nature passive means that you have little control over who to target. If the CD target chasm, it just meant that you will get a few turns.
    Chasm ap denial is also a pain to deal with, because it’s hard to get enough ap to fire powers.

I not asking for a nerf. I just saying how annoying this meta is.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,198 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2022
    Options

You have really good CD shorteners at the 4* tier, but not really at 5*. Flaptain is a perfect buddy to Ronan since you chase blue anyway. Coulson is good too in that way. I wish we had a 5* health pool that could do it without spending AP.

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2022
    Options

I'm using Ronan + Sersi/Black Panther against Chasm/iHulk (46X-47X) and I got good results. The key to Ronan against chasm/ihulk is not his cd, but his repeaters.

I used Chasm/iHulk against against Ronan + ?? But I lost against them. Maybe it's because I don't have a big Chasm. IHulk was tanking over Chasm by the time I hit 2 minutes. As his repeaters multiply, they one-shot my iHulk and Chasm when it got matched. If you are using Sersi, her AoE would be able to down the entire team by the time her cd counts down to zero, if you time it properly.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    Options

I love Sersi, but getting her repeaters on the board and having them survive is very far from a done deal if you are relying on her for board manipulation. But if you DO get them to go off, it's a good chunk of damage.

• HoundofShadow
    edited November 2022
    Options

Once she fire her purple, board has much higher chance of being in your favour (match-5). I always +3 purple for her so I can fire it immediately on my first turn. I typically remove purple because iHulk can't tank purple over Chasm. Depending on where the board is heading, I go for blue to fire Ronan's repeaters and then sit back and watch. So far, my cd always goes off for around 60k AoE.

Currently, at the time of posting, I have the following opponents in slice 1 with my score past 1200, with their points on the right side:

iHulk/Chasm
    472/532 - 75
    487/510 - 23
    462/474 - 34
    453/550 - 51
    463/496 - 28
    461/501 - 42
    456/453 - 71

Others:
    Ronan (580) / Sersi (579) - 68
    Ronan (569) / Chasm (482) - 75
    AC (370) / Thor (459) - 74
    AC(370) / SC (469) -70
    AC (370) / Okoye (519) - 75
    BRB (461) / Polaris (479) - 69

There are still a lot of non-iHulk/Chasm teams with high scores floating around. For 550 players, it might be different because 550 players are largely interested in only meta characters. That might explain why they see only iHulk/Chasm.

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@HoundofShadow said:
    Once she fire her purple, board has much higher chance of being in your favour (match-5). I always +3 purple for her so I can fire it immediately on my first turn. I typically remove purple because iHulk can't tank purple over Chasm. Depending on where the board is heading, I go for blue to fire Ronan's repeaters and then sit back and watch. So far, my cd always goes off for around 60k AoE.

Currently, at the time of posting, I have the following opponents in slice 1 with my score past 1200, with their points on the right side:

iHulk/Chasm
    472/532 - 75
    487/510 - 23
    462/474 - 34
    453/550 - 51
    463/496 - 28
    461/501 - 42
    456/453 - 71

Others:
    Ronan (580) / Sersi (579) - 68
    Ronan (569) / Chasm (482) - 75
    AC (370) / Thor (459) - 74
    AC(370) / SC (469) -70
    AC (370) / Okoye (519) - 75
    BRB (461) / Polaris (479) - 69

There are still a lot of non-iHulk/Chasm teams with high scores floating around. For 550 players, it might be different because 550 players are largely interested in only meta characters. That might explain why they see only iHulk/Chasm.

I mean... 3 of those non-Chasm/ihulk teams are clearly grills, they are not "floating around".

• HoundofShadow
    Options

That's not a bad thing after all. Those delicious grills are still worth a lot of points. Ultimately, for many veteran players, it's about hitting the last progression reward. Even if we remove those grills, many iHulk/Chasm don't seem to be doing well, point wise. Out of 7 that I've seen, only 2 are worth hitting.

• Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2022
    Options

The Chasm iHulk meta is on hold for Krakadoom. At my 500pt float I only saw a couple hanging around. 60% Chasm/Crystal and 90% Chasm/x of course. Hopefully ya’ll ordered Chasm for lunch.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    Options

Wait for it. They’ll come out of the woodwork when you start to really climb

• ThaRoadWarrior
    edited November 2022
    Options

Lol. I just started that Ragnarok PVP, and did a boosted chasm/boosted crystal mirror match that resulted me and the enemy chasm in a forever match because matching a single web tile restored 11,200 health to the enemy chasm, meaning any match 3 you make that included one or more webs would have them and you ending with more health than you started with. chasm is such a Mary sue; completely overtuned. I may sit this one out.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    edited November 2022
    Options

If they're using Chasm/Hulk, you can go in with +5 stacks to match damage and just target hulk over and over with Chasm/Thano5 and be pretty successful until you start to get matched up to the big boys. I guess I'll do that to 500 at least. Notable interactions between Chasm and Thanos:

Chasm will die and revive if there are Abyss tiles present and you have an Infinite Power tile in play, but he just won't destroy the Abyss tiles. This is a bummer offensively, but it works for your own Chasm so it's kind of a wash i guess. Similarly, if you mess up and kill Chasm first, he will die and revive with the stun prior to your Court Death triggering, which prevents your court death going off, so you then have to start all over again.

I'm also curious as to why Chasm v Chasm matches always start off with a mirror stun, rather than iterating the attacker first, then the defender, which would Ideally just leave your team unstunned at battle start.

• HoundofShadow
    edited November 2022
    Options

First mirror match: 3 mins 15 seconds

Second and third mirror matches went 10 minutes and I retreated.

Fourth and fifth mirror match + all damage boost fully stacked: 1 min 30 seconds.

Had an epiphany after I decided to regroup. Sixth match won in about 3 min 15 seconds, without any damage boost. :D

• ThaRoadWarrior
    edited November 2022
    Options

Chasm and Thanos have even more weird intereactions. One of these matches with a pair of chasms in it I actually did get stun priority on battle start, I really can't tell what was different aside from perhaps some kind of RNG quirk there. there are also times where Chasm dies, comes back and does the stun, but Thanos will be unaffected by it even though the enemy iHulk and your own Chasm will be 2-turn stunned (without taking the damage).

When facing an iHulk, you do what the revive to happen before Court Death is triggered so that the returning hulk will eat it's damage again, but when it happens with Chasm and he gets to do the stun interrupt it really prolongs the loop.

• HoundofShadow
    Options

It's the positioning. If their Chasm is on the right and yours on the left (from team selection screen), your team won't get stunned. Double stun happens if both Chasm are on the left.

I don't think the weird interaction is limited to Thanos/Chasm. Thanos is the one with weird order of operation for his Court Death. Sometimes his Court Death will cut off other ally's passive and sometimes he doesn't. I don't think positioning is the problem but I believe it has to do with coding.

• Kolence
    Kolence Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    Options

@HoundofShadow said:
    It's the positioning. If their Chasm is on the right and yours on the left (from team selection screen), your team won't get stunned. Double stun happens if both Chasm are on the left.

I don't think the weird interaction is limited to Thanos/Chasm. Thanos is the one with weird order of operation for his Court Death. Sometimes his Court Death will cut off other ally's passive and sometimes he doesn't. I don't think positioning is the problem but I believe it has to do with coding.

It has to do with passives triggered off matching, I think. If one of those happens, Thanos' Court Death will happily jump in also. If not, it will wait until the board has settled to activate.

• atomzed
    Options

Now that 5* Riri is here, I think FosterRiri will be a good pick 2 against Chasm-Hulk. And they will be fast against other teams too.
    Looks like the meta may change soon…

• Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,725 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

That depends if it takes multiple health packs each time you face them?

• HoundofShadow
    edited November 2022
    Options

It depends on whether you are comfortable with +3/4 ap boost each match against them. Eating an AoE is almost a given. All those ap boost will reduce Chasm's match damage increment by a decent percentage.

On your turn, fire Riri's red followed by her green to stun them. Her red put charged tiles on red/blue/green basic tiles. Match red again if possible, and let Dr Thor do her magic. 16 charged tiles on the board means destroying 25% of the board. If you've used or played against her frequently, you will understand the type of shenanigan she can pull off.

• atomzed
    edited November 2022
    Options

@Tony_Foot said:
    That depends if it takes multiple health packs each time you face them?

Good point. But no of health packs required have not really stop other metas in the past. It’s always about speed, reliability of wins, and scarecrow factor. RiriThor won’t be scary but if they are fast and reliable, they will have a place in the meta.

Thinking more about it, Chasm & hulk can reliably kill Riri Thor. So they won’t be a deterrent to ChaHulk. The question is whether Riri Thor can hit fast enough. I thinking it may be good to use chasm hulk to climb, and then revert to Riri Thor for shield hops.

• Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,573 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I was close to sitting this PvP out, but there were enough Crystal and Chasm teams out there to get to 1200. Surprised me.