The ChaHulk meta

Options

Comments

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

You don't have to snipe. They pop up frequently enough for some reasons in slice 1. I can play anytime within the last 24 hours, except for the last few hours(?), and I can always, without fail, see 3-4 of them and they are always worth 7X. I guess there must be quite a significant number of them for this to happen or they are simply unlucky to meet me.

I suppose grill is max champed 5* + 4*. I'm not sure if Dr Thor/Chasm or Chasm/Crystal who are worth high 6X to 7X are called grills.

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Yeah no you can hit Chasms all day, those aren't grills.
    5 and 4 are (usually) grills.

• mani82
    mani82 Posts: 149 Tile Toppler
    Options

I really don’t understand the purpose of a grill team how does it help it only gets u many defence losses

• Bowgentle
    Options

@mani82 said:
    I really don’t understand the purpose of a grill team how does it help it only gets u many defence losses

It's not to help YOU, it's to help others get points.

• mani82
    mani82 Posts: 149 Tile Toppler
    Options

On line people say I have put out a grill team and all of the teammates can go in and hit them when shielded is it;I am curious how many shields an average 2000 point to 3000 point pvp er will use

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,189 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

You leave it out and then shield, and then all your alliance bros or Line Collaborators hit it till it's worthless. Everybody in your social circle does it and coordinates so that way the whole group can pump up their scores. there's like a whole shadow PVP etiqette out there

• Bowgentle
    Options

@mani82 said:
    On line people say I have put out a grill team and all of the teammates can go in and hit them when shielded is it;I am curious how many shields an average 2000 point to 3000 point pvp er will use

That really depends on when you climb.
    Frontrunners, the ones generating the points, use... A lot of shields.

• HoundofShadow
    Options

Am I right to say that only Slice 1 has grills? I've played in all other slices before and if there were any grills out there, it must be some super closely guarded grills. I needed to spend at least 1000 HP just to hit 1200 in Slice 2 or 5, and I needed to make sure I can finish each match in ~1 minute for each hop. The only benefit is that I can hit T5 or T10 placement for scl 10. As for Slice 4, I can do it without shield hopping but my number of wins needed will increase to high 2X. I find that Slice 3 is probably between Slice 2 and Slice 4. You need to shield hop but probably not as much.

That's why hitting 1200 in ~20 wins in slice 1 is such a breeze majority of the time, at least for my playstyle.

• acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2022
    Options

@ThaRoadWarrior said:
    You leave it out and then shield, and then all your alliance bros or Line Collaborators hit it till it's worthless. Everybody in your social circle does it and coordinates so that way the whole group can pump up their scores. there's like a whole shadow PVP etiqette out there

May be reading this wrong but seems you have a real negative view of this.

Think a little deeper and you'll realize it helps everyone in the slice. Not just the "alliance bros" or "Line Collaborators". I'm sure you've come across grills just skipping. Even if you haven't it builds easy points for everyone in the slice such that 1200 is attainable by all.

Go play S5 or S2 to see first hand how PvP is without this coordination. Please report back which style of play you prefer.

• Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,561 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I hated grills and the coordinating at first, too. It felt like cheating. But, whether you like it or not, it creates more points for everyone. Makes it very easy to hit 1200 in s1 and shield out. I'll never compete for placement, but I couldn't possibly care less about that.

I haven't found boosted Chasm a problem, mainly because I can match dmg kill Crystal with % boosts, so everyone running her is getting hit immediately. Oddly, he's more of a problem when he isn't boosted, because people run him with iHulk.

• HoundofShadow
    edited November 2022
    Options

I just strolled into MPQ reddit and saw two threads talking about how Riri/Dr Thor are broken and need some nerfs because those players got stun locked by Riri. Unfortunately, I don't know whether they're 3*, 4* or 5* players. We have one or two in Riri thread talking about them already. I guess when Riri enters LTs and Riri/Dr Thor is more common in pvp, we will see a new nerf thread for them that span multi-page discussion?

• Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2022
    Options

Different forums so it could be there are one or two people with different usernames in each. Hopefully by the time Riri hits the LL people will have a better understanding of how to counter her stun. Or it turns out like Shang-Chi and no one cares because they are easily solved with the AI just being dumb.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    edited November 2022
    Options

I would love to know if Broken Circle ever set up an AI-vs-AI chasm match as part of their testing, and if so, how many of those matches ended up in a cat's game that had to be retreated from. It has been my experience that if you can't win early in a mirror match, you will end up in a web tile stasis lock because any given match-3 of webs will heal more damage than causes, which is why I say he is WAY overtuned.

There is also something else going on than left/right/center positioning that determines whether or not it's a reciprocol stun in a mirror match or whether attacker gets priority. I've had the mirror stun even with my chasm on the left and theirs on the right; I wonder if it's an RNG thing, or a relative level thing and maybe theirs was higher or something.

• HoundofShadow
    edited November 2022
    Options

I think one of the key to chasm mirror match is his build. What's your build?

Also, are you suggesting that mirror match should also be part of testing to ensure no "stalemate" is produced?

• ThaRoadWarrior
    edited November 2022
    Options

My Chasm is a 5/5/3, level 454.

I suppose that depends on if the dev team finds "stalemate" to be an undesirable condition. I certainly do as a player. But the reason for a test like that is to get a sense of what it will look like when these characters proliferate across PVP (or PVE should the team ever choose to update the opponents in there or create new PVE content). How long is the average match? If you spin up a test like this, and the first match settles into a stalemate, stretching the time of a single match effectively to infinity, is that....good?

I had a suspicion that the previous dev team, and maybe this one also, never really spent much time with these characters in realistic PVP scenarios to see if they were bad, mediocre, or good, just made sure that they fit within the "power budget" constraints and had some associated art.

• HoundofShadow
    Options

Try using another build. There's a good reason for doing so.

• obikenobi12
    obikenobi12 Posts: 30 Just Dropped In
    Options

I feel like if the Abyss tiles that Chasm pumps out would be counted as a special tile, characters like 4* mantis would be a good counter because you could then generate stun tiles. Maybe that should be a solution to the ridiculous Chasm + Immortal Hulks teams flooding the arena. Or just make a 5* character than prevents revives =)

• Blackstone
    Blackstone Posts: 597 Critical Contributor
    Options

I've been trying to make Moon Knight useful against the stunners but, thus far, he's less than reliable.

Reasoning was that he came in at a great time to be a hard counter to chasm/riri types, so I thought there must be some combination that allowed MK to shine.

His powers though are way too expensive, and his counter attack from stun attempts makes little impact.

The upside is that I work my way up, then use way off-meta teams that others can hit to climb.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    Options

Yeah Moon Knight was a hard DOA because of those power costs, which is a shame. I have come to the conclusion that stun avoidance really isn’t the secret sauce here. You need AOE and some sort of board spam to flood the board faster than Chasm can.