The ChaHulk meta

Options

Comments

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,189 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@HoundofShadow said:
    Try using another build. There's a good reason for doing so.

This is helpful advice, thank you. I looked around at some of the builds I'm seeing in my queue in the patch pvp, and adjusted accordingly to 5/3/5. Using +5 stacks of match boosts has so far not resulted in any stalemates, but i'm not seeing 500+ base level chasms this low in the event yet.

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2022
    Options

Good to hear that.

On the other hand, there was another thread about Chasm in reddit and the dev posted:

"I've asked the analytics team to do a top-to-bottom analysis so we have a snapshot of all of the present metrics. Holidays being what they are, we likely won't get a full package back until next week. That said, we are doing more than keeping an eye on things and do hear the players. We'll keep you posted on action items."

I wonder if he's referring to Riri/Dr Thor as counter.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,189 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Chasm could use some type of adjustment. He doesn’t need a hard nerf but right now it’s too much. I’d start with just dialing back the heal on web matching. Not crank it down to nothing, but a strongest color match-3 shouldn’t give the enemy chasm back more health than you take away lol.

• TheXMan
    TheXMan Posts: 141 Tile Toppler
    Options

Can some explain why 5/3/5 is so much better in mirror match? Is it so your Chasm dies faster to clear the special tiles?

• acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@TheXMan said:
    Can some explain why 5/3/5 is so much better in mirror match? Is it so your Chasm dies faster to clear the special tiles?

Yes. Plus the higher damage of 5 in green.

Start the match with your chasm slightly wounded, speeds it up more. Also, bring an 5* PX teamup as backup. Use green with PX.

• StanleyBurrell
    StanleyBurrell Posts: 143 Tile Toppler
    Options

@ThaRoadWarrior said:
    Chasm could use some type of adjustment. He doesn’t need a hard nerf but right now it’s too much. I’d start with just dialing back the heal on web matching. Not crank it down to nothing, but a strongest color match-3 shouldn’t give the enemy chasm back more health than you take away lol.

I would much rather see a countdown revive ala Phoenix, in fact do the same to iHulk and sHulk while you’re at it. Maybe each revive the countdown increases by 1 or something. Not since Bishop had one character made so many others useless, it’s sad really.

• Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Funny thing is that Surfer is a soft counter to both metas. He’s stun proof and he downs revive characters for good. He needs a lot of help to get there though.

I wonder if Surfer’s stun immunity is enough to counter the charge sisters. He’s a pretty good partner for Shang, who can go winfinite. I guess we’ll see.

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@Daredevil217 said:
    Funny thing is that Surfer is a soft counter to both metas. He’s stun proof and he downs revive characters for good. He needs a lot of help to get there though.

I wonder if Surfer’s stun immunity is enough to counter the charge sisters. He’s a pretty good partner for Shang, who can go winfinite. I guess we’ll see.

Not sure bringing someone who makes charged tiles against a pair that uses charged tiles is a good idea.

• Daredevil217
    Options

@Bowgentle said:

@Daredevil217 said:

Not sure bringing someone who makes charged tiles against a pair that uses charged tiles is a good idea.

He doesn’t make them passively (I know I know… old school characters that don’t do everything automatically). I wouldn’t fire his powers until he has the AP to go winfinite or at least to take out Thor.

• mani82
    mani82 Posts: 149 Tile Toppler
    Options

Shang with surfer or apoclaypse with a mutant can easily take on Thor riri combo but none can strongly take down chahulk as of yet we l wait till Thor riri happens

• Daredevil217
    Options

My understanding from others is they can stunlock chasm/hulk easily.

Would be interesting if Riri/Thor could easily take down Chasm/Hulk who could easily take down Shang/Surfer who could easily take down Riri/Thor. True RPS. But we won’t know how effective Riri/Thor counters or gets countered until there are more in the wild.

• Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I’m hoping boosted match damage + loads of charged tiles + player vs AI will be a good counter for Iron Thor.

• Bowgentle
    Options

Shang Surfer will get eaten alive by anything, so will the AI playing Riri Jane on defense.
    I don't think we'll be seeing the end of Chasm ihulk anytime soon, except for boost weeks like the recent ColJane one.

• Punter1
    Punter1 Posts: 723 Critical Contributor
    Options

Glad Chasm boost week is over. If nothing else it gave me something to spend ISO on with a whole bunch of skips of any Hulkasm. Just not worth the long drawn-out pain of trying to get the pair of them lined up exactly right to kill in one turn.

Will be interesting to see if JJ & Hela can do something against unboosted Chasm.

• Bowgentle
    Options

Hela does exactly nothing.
    Seeing mostly JJ YJ, and immortal bros.

• HoundofShadow
    edited November 2022
    Options

All you need to do is to time matching her trap tile to down both iHulk and Chasm simultaneously. This means the plan is to get their hp to 3k-5k and 20-25k range. One important thing to note is the sequence of passive power trigger for such scenario. So, you might need to see if you need to down Chasm or iHulk with match damage first.

YellowJacket can also down both with a match-3 cascade in his colour while invisible. Alternatively, fire his black and then collect green.

Hela and Cable are ineffective against them, and probably the weakest of this boost against Chasm/iHulk.

• Punter1
    Punter1 Posts: 723 Critical Contributor
    Options

Ahh right - Hela gets stunned so her death boost is not triggered. Guess yellowjacket invisible is the way to go.

• HoundofShadow
    Options

Well, since they are unboosted, you can always target iHulk repeatedly to keep boosting your special tiles until it reaches a point where you can match damage them to them or cascades into green aps and finish them off.

• Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,561 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@HoundofShadow said:
    All you need to do is to time matching her trap tile to down both iHulk and Chasm simultaneously. This means the plan is to get their hp to 3k-5k and 20-25k range. One important thing to note is the sequence of passive power trigger for such scenario. So, you might need to see if you need to down Chasm or iHulk with match damage first.

I love how you frame it as if that's easy to do. "All you have to do..." It's a coin flip at best to have THAT much control.

• HoundofShadow
    Options

If you use logic, it's not a coin flip. I've put it into practice and it was how I downed Chasm/iHulk in 5 out of 6 matches. Of course, higher MMR might require different strategies. The highest levelled Chasm I could find was 49X, so it has worked for those levels of enemies.