Gargantos Heroic Boss Event Impressions

Options

Comments

• Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,756 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    CL for boss events is the way to go. 3* players cannot expect 5* covers for little work. But they could chose a lower CL and still contribute to the alliance score and reward.

I was at R5, only have a champed yelena and had no issues so far with this event. R5 I just used her, scorpion and agent venom and never changed them. After a complete round of clears I didn’t use a single health pack and was down to 45k on yelena. Not once did he get blue off.

Fair play on them for tweaking on the fly but I would have preferred this to play out and promise another run even if it was for a different classic 5*. My alliance wasn’t having problems looking at the scores and mix of players.

Sure it was going to be a challenge but whatever happened to ‘chip in and do what you can’ like it used to be when we were all three and four star players. First sign of a challenge, user base says fold.
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    My alliance is at round 5. Half of my players are doing quite good. 
    Only my scorpion has double health than gargantos right now so I can't possibly lose (level 311).
    There is an old trick than I used when I was weak and apocalypse was going to beat me: just fire all you can and quit the battle, that way you will score something for the team. 

• TheEyeDoctorsWife
    TheEyeDoctorsWife Posts: 829 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Here are the top 3 responses towards this event, pre-firefighting from the dev:

1) threatening to quit the game for good
    2) threatening to stop spending money
    3) call this event p2w --> I lol'ed at this. Some 5* players are losing even when they have at least one of those 5* champed. Even if you have the money to champ all 5* (Yelena/OMD/GG), it doesn't guarantee a win. 

Other responses:
    I can finish scl 9/10 pves; therefore, I should be able to complete this event.

For those who love Heroic events, this is the top 1 anti-Heroic response:

1) Why am I not allowed to use my hard-earned (either via cash or in-game rewards) characters? 

This is what happens when players only know how to Polaris/BRB or Hulkoye for the past two years and calling other non-meta characters a 'Skip'. You throw them a challenge, take away their meta teams and you get this.

How is the dev supposed to create challenging and unique events with these kinds of threats?
    I wish I had written this . 
  • Bad
    Options
    The patch is live now. Gargantos match damage downed and loaners levels increased.
    This is what happens when you think and you do constructive criticism, and treat devs with respect.
  • TheEyeDoctorsWife
    TheEyeDoctorsWife Posts: 829 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Black Bolt stating “giving out 1 or 2 extra covers a week isn’t going to break the game “.  70 5* at 13 covers is 910 covers at present to champ them all. I already have over 60% in about almost 2 years in playing 5 tier SCL 10.  If they had done this idea and I was getting 2 extra covers a week (200 plus extra covers in my case) I would literally be close to champing every 5 star in the game and would accomplish it by this year’s end. (4 years total playing time ). I’m sure there are players playing over 8 years that still don’t have that. PvP would be chaos if every player had a complete champed roster in 4 years . It would just be mirror godboosts every week. So yes , increasing 5* would break the game as even casual players would become vastly more competitive. I know a rising tide raises all ships but the disparity in players rosters would be much more minimized.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,866 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    My Alliance are into Round 4 and I feel that we are getting the hang of this - denying blue really is the trick but you have to train yourself to do it because it is mainly useless to you. Agent Venom has been my MVP so far and Scorpion was always a great 4*. The nerf to Garg helps as well. I suspect when Garg starts to get some much bigger health pools the pain is gonna hit hard but the last run of this event really was far too easy so good on the Devs for trying something different.

I still hate the Dark Avengers though...
  • Heartstone
    Heartstone Posts: 233 Tile Toppler
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Just to add my 2 cents (again😁): we're now in round 3 and I can win from the big G by using loaned samouraiW and loaned AgentV + Scorpion.
    It's still a slog but it's doable and you don't need too many healthpacks because of the loaned characters.
  • BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,174 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Black Bolt stating “giving out 1 or 2 extra covers a week isn’t going to break the game “.  70 5* at 13 covers is 910 covers at present to champ them all. I already have over 60% in about almost 2 years in playing 5 tier SCL 10.  If they had done this idea and I was getting 2 extra covers a week (200 plus extra covers in my case) I would literally be close to champing every 5 star in the game and would accomplish it by this year’s end. (4 years total playing time ). I’m sure there are players playing over 8 years that still don’t have that. PvP would be chaos if every player had a complete champed roster in 4 years . It would just be mirror godboosts every week. So yes , increasing 5* would break the game as even casual players would become vastly more competitive. I know a rising tide raises all ships but the disparity in players rosters would be much more minimized.
    You need to look at the whole context. The devs are releasing a new 5* every 4 weeks. That's an extra 13 covers a player needs to champ that 5*. And as I mentioned, players need to deal with RNG. We've seen plenty of stories of players getting lopsided builds. Sharts has helped to remedy that somewhat, but there's still no accounting for getting, say, a 10/2/1 Crystal from latests.

And, as I also mentioned, players will still need to fork out resources for the roster slots and iso. Sure, these resources come much more easily the higher you get, but you still need to get those resources in the first place.

Also, the vast majority of 5* are trapped in the wasteland of Classics. At the moment, there is a ~0.00746% chance of getting a specific colour of a specific 5* in Classics. Many players, especially newer ones, are never going to complete these characters. Giving out specific covers, like Kamala's Yellow and Blue in the current boss event, go some way towards alleviating this. But even then, covers are not as flexible as sharts. The player with a 10/2/1 Crystal absolutely does not need another Red cover for her. And are you really going to waste 720CP on a specific cover?

And what's wrong with players being able to champ as many 5s as they can? To use your number: 4 years. 4 years is a substantial amount of time to invest in a mobile game. I definitely do not begrudge anyone being able to champ every single 5* in 4 years. Likewise I don't begrudge a reduction in roster disparity, or more players being competitive. Why shouldn't as many players as possible get to have a bite at the cherry?

As for godboosts, that's on the devs. I'm one of those who share the view that the jump from 4* to 5* was too big. They should have made 5* start at lv120 and cap at say lv360. Then 6* could have started at lv255 and cap at lv450 (i.e. the current 5* model). But that's another discussion entirely.
  • stef_focus
    stef_focus Posts: 108 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Your math is a little of.
    2 covers per week = 8 covers a month. Every month there is a new 5* needing 13 covers. So to champ them all, players would still need to get 5 5* covers and a bunch of ISO from somewhere else. So casual players would not have complete champed rosters, but do have access to more different characters, so more possibilities to play 5* required nodes. And they would need more roster slots = more HP = more money.

If you turn it down a little and have a DDQ lasting the whole week, with 1 5* cover as a reward, and a monthly Alliance Boss event giving 1 or 2 5* covers, the whole becomes even more palatable.
  • Stan_The_Man
    Stan_The_Man Posts: 21 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Here are the top 3 responses towards this event, pre-firefighting from the dev:

1) threatening to quit the game for good
    2) threatening to stop spending money
    3) call this event p2w --> I lol'ed at this. Some 5* players are losing even when they have at least one of those 5* champed. Even if you have the money to champ all 5* (Yelena/OMD/GG), it doesn't guarantee a win. 

Other responses:
    I can finish scl 9/10 pves; therefore, I should be able to complete this event.

For those who love Heroic events, this is the top 1 anti-Heroic response:

1) Why am I not allowed to use my hard-earned (either via cash or in-game rewards) characters? 

This is what happens when players only know how to Polaris/BRB or Hulkoye for the past two years and calling other non-meta characters a 'Skip'. You throw them a challenge, take away their meta teams and you get this.

How is the dev supposed to create challenging and unique events with these kinds of threats?

Nobody is forcing you to use meta teams in regular events. If you like a challenge so much, just restrict yourself to using some **** characters to reach progression. Why should those of us who absolutely HATE this be made to suffer for your preference? Besides, easy for you to say. You probably have a champed Goblin, the only useful available 5*, a very rare occurrence these days.
    I'm not playing this event. It's too horrible to even contemplate spending another second on this foul piece of ****. Boss events should be a nice easy break from horrible PvE, but this way clears take even more time than they do in a regular PvE event. I'm not wasting my entire weekend on this source of frustration! And seeing as boss events were the last part of this game I actually enjoyed, I will definitely quit if they pull this again.

• Bad
    Options
    Not that I care too much, but if I was so pissed off I would quit anything what gives me so much suffering. 
    And without saying, because it's a personal thing about me that nobody should care about.
  • Stan_The_Man
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Bad said:
    Not that I care too much, but if I was so pissed off I would quit anything what gives me so much suffering. 
    And without saying, because it's a personal thing about me that nobody should care about.

Really? So a vendor shouldn't care about scaring away customers because they are making bad business decisions?
    *redacted*

**Mod note: Removed inappropriate comment. -fight4thedream
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Dark Avengers were a terrible choice to start out this return of heroic events, the only reason that they are viable opponents in other events is due to how high a level they get boosted up to, which obviously isn't a benefit we will get when using them. 

It will be interesting to see how other events work with such restrictions in the future, but this one seems to be a swing and a miss for many as far as enjoying the mechanics. 
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

-- Releases Heroic Gargantos boss event --

New dev: let's see if what they said is true...

Put yourself in the shoe of the dev. If you're always constantly under threats and verbal assaults for trying new challenging things, would you be encouraged to use the same old tried and tested boring formula or risk getting threatened?

However, there's a way out of this. Simply allow players to choose normal and insane mode of Heroic. If they hit insane mode, ask them three times if they are sure.

I think in the case of this event they should have considered the implications of the roster on the event better, with this being the first heroic event in a long time perhaps the restrictions could have been a bit broader e.g. do this one as villains, the next one as heroes to ease the newer playerbase into a mode that hasn't been around for years before getting more restrictive in subsequent events. 
  • Bad
    Options
    I went so far as a put down my champed samurai and yelena and I attemp it with the 3 loaners, samurai level 270, eddie 205 and bullseye level 188!! on round 5!!!.
    And I won. He went invisible 2 times but finally I beat him. And being loaners I didn't lose any healthpack. 
    I think someone complaining so much just simply is not interested on to use the brain and to play well, that's the real truth. 
    For me winning with those weak loaners, it's the only conclusion I got.
  • Stan_The_Man
    Options
    I won't be surprised if all these hate and  vulgarities hurled at the dev (look at reddit) are the reasons why the ex-dev continued to roll out boring non-timed pves. Fight for Wakanda (timed), Places of Power boss event, Introduction...,  Shield Training and Puzzle Ops... 

I noticed that the only kind of challenges these players welcome are those easily solved by high school students: Collect 20 ap of x colours, create 20 strike tiles etc.

This is probably one of the conversations they had during the handover:

Ex-dev: You know, players alway complain about how stale pves are, and how they finishes boss events in 36-48 hours with nothing left to do. When we create something new and challenging, these are the common responses: vulgarities and threats.
    New dev: Ok, interesting. we'll keep this in mind.

-- Releases Heroic Gargantos boss event --

New dev: let's see if what they said is true...

Put yourself in the shoe of the dev. If you're always constantly under threats and verbal assaults for trying new challenging things, would you be encouraged to use the same old tried and tested boring formula or risk getting threatened?

However, there's a way out of this. Simply allow players to choose normal and insane mode of Heroic. If they hit insane mode, ask them three times if they are sure.

They deserve all the bad reactions they're getting for this dumpster fire.
    Choosing to bring back these Heroic events and then starting with the Dark Avengers is completely insane. There's no thematic connection between Gargantos and the Dark Avengers, like with Apocalypse vs X-Men for instance, so it feels like they just threw a dart at a dart board to decide which affiliation they were going to use. Or perhaps even worse, because they know that Kamala Khan is the first even semi-useful 5* being released since Shang-Chi, they thought it would be funny to dangle the carrot of two of her covers just out of reach for most players. Like placing a juicy steak just out of reach of a starving person. Not even Demiurge did anything that cruel and sadistic in the 4 years I've been playing this game.
  • Birdy
    Birdy Posts: 23 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Personally speaking, this event isn't too bad after 5 rounds but I get that some of the smaller rosters will struggle.
    However, slagging off the Devs or review-bombing MPQ on the app stores isn't going to help matters. 
    I think it's a great idea of 5* covers being progression rewards. Who doesn't like 5* covers?  🤘🏻