Gargantos Heroic Boss Event Impressions

Options

Comments

• kk3thess
    kk3thess Posts: 202 Tile Toppler
    Options
    This event is like starting Super Mario World with Tubular: not exactly impossible to beat, but frustating enough to make you wanna stop playing. I'm seriously considering taking the weekend off, because it really sucks to play this now.
  • Punter1
    Punter1 Posts: 727 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I've a full roster - this isn't bad.  I've had no issues through rd 4, I'm still hopeful that we're mostly done by Sat am and don't need to use the limited selection roster on the harder side nodes.

I'm all for things that encourage wider use of the roster.  I've enjoyed the 5* boosts for that reason.

I'm fine with heroics coming back, especially if limited to Boss events with less nodes and limited time pressure.  

Is this the best way to start heroics again... nope!  
  • Pwuz_
    Pwuz_ Posts: 1,213 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm surprised to see many comments (including in reddit) about how Dark Avengers have no synergy. You gotta be kidding me.  :o
    Are you trying to troll the rest of us, or do you have some strategy you’re not sharing?

I’m not going to repeat all the excellent points others have made how these characters actively work against one another.  But what Synergy are you specifically referring to?  At best Scorpion can improve the special tiles that the other DA can make, but those same tiles just let Gargantos use his Black knocking out yet another of our limited options.

Ragnarok’s Red makes Blue which Daken can use to make Green which goes back to Ragnarok’s Green with it’s self-Team damage?  Considering how few tiles each of those make, that’s some pretty lackluster synergy.

I’m not saying it wasn’t worth trying something different to shake up the stagnation among characters players are using, but this isn’t it.
  • Caravaka1
    Caravaka1 Posts: 2 Just Dropped In
    Options
    It is one thing to have a dark avengers only event, it is nice they provided some loaners.  The problem is if you don’t have leveled roster in these toons, you are limited to win by team up AP or not.  If they want to make an event this restricted by character they need CL levels so we can play something appropriate.  Round 4 i am about done which is anti-fun.  similar to harder pve events, i play down because I can’t do well with my current roster at higher CL.  Using 3 health pack per boss isn’t fun and rewards will be slim.  If i need boosts on round 4 something is wrong.  I have 45 champed 4 stars, very few levels on 5*.  I get these events will be harder for me but they have gone from challenging within the roster I have to impossible.  Round 4 is like round 9.  I do not want to be excluded from an event and carried by my alliance.  If they want to challenge more developed rosters that it awesome but need a mechanism to allow others to play as well and still let us be a part of the alliance completing.
  • ThisisClemFandango
    ThisisClemFandango Posts: 714 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Ridiculously broken boss event, I try to block blue he causes cascades, fires blue kills Osborn in one shot. This is round 4. This isn't a game of skill or a puzzle game this is just grossly unfair. My earlier comments still stands, they give you old characters with tiny health pools and if he manages to get his blue fired you are all pretty much dead.
    And the loaners are woefully underlevelled so new players have even less of a chance than someone who has played for 5 years.
    Rant over.

• WeaponX092
    WeaponX092 Posts: 27 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Al parecer con este evento de jefe me tomaré un pequeño descanso, mi lista no es muy fuerte aún, y me limitaré a los vengadores oscuros que no tengo de 4* y 5*, los de bajo nivel se deshacen fácilmente con los ataques de Gargantos .
  • Dicelees
    Dicelees Posts: 5 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I don't like this event, I would like it more if we didn't have to use Dark Avengers, but I'm still going to do it.

The problem is my alliance has a couple long time players and the rest are 3* star players and newbies. The newbies don't stand a chance and even some of our stronger players are already throwing in the towel at round four. Without the whole alliance trying how am I supposed to even get the individual rewards. We won't be able to progress to those higher rounds with just 2 or 3 players fully participating, and so we'll never get those round point increases to get the rewards.

Everybody loses.
  • Kaazz
    Kaazz Posts: 227 Tile Toppler
    Options
    This is a tiny kitty joke! No way should a lvl 50 character beat two 5 star characters over lvl 350 and a 4 star lvl 399! Are you kidding me? No thanks! I prefer matches that are winnable, even if you have to work at it. This is a complete joke!!😡😡😡
  • The Viceroy Returns
    The Viceroy Returns Posts: 492 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    The unexpected aspect of this presentation certainly doesn't help things. There is nothing that visually jumps out that is like "This is a Heroic event" or anything.

I too thought it was a bug I couldn't select anyone.

And like many others, my alliance barely plays these, so there is no way I'll get any meaningful personal progression rewards, let alone the final one.

At least they are trying new things, but there are some very obvious things that should have been done, not mention difficulty and such.
  • revskip
    revskip Posts: 975 Critical Contributor
    Options
    My experience doesn't seem to mirror most folks on here.  I play two accounts, my main account which is well into 5* land and an alt account on steam that is in the 2* to 3* transition.  

My main account has had no problems, I've been using Green Goblin, Agent Venom & 3* Bullseye.  My alliance is well into round 5 even though we have two people who haven't started yet.  I fully expect us to finish by late tomorrow.  Haven't really even optimized supports nor have I used any boosts and haven't lost any characters.  

My alt account has definitely had a tougher time with it but not to the extent that others here and on Reddit are experiencing.  I've been using the loaner characters to do the side nodes and that has been pretty quick and easy.  For the boss I've been using the loaner 5*Daken with a level 98 Ares and a level 97 Moonstone.  I've been boosting all AP every match against the boss to mitigate the damage from his countdowns and usually boosting +20% match damage on green/black.  I've cleared all but two boss fights where Gargantos got enough blue to take out the loaner quickly both because of an early cascade.  My alliance is very casual but we've still made it to level 4 already with just 10 players active so far.  

The first run was trivial for my main account and pretty tough for my alt so this doesn't really seem that different.  I expect that once the side nodes start to get tough my alt account won't be able to progress but that happens no matter what.  
  • TheEyeDoctorsWife
    TheEyeDoctorsWife Posts: 829 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I’ve calculated that once your alliance reaches stage 4 by day 2, you can easily reach full personal progression even if a lot of us will lose the higher alliance rewards. It’s not like we will get nothing . I see players saying I’m skipping this event it’s not worth it. Samurai champed is doing enough damage matching black twice and 450 Yelena gives him a beating if he cascades . 
  • NMANOZ1
    NMANOZ1 Posts: 113 Tile Toppler
    Options
    They should have had just 1 essential character like the side nodes.

This change is nothing but a way of draining health packs.
  • Chirus
    Chirus Posts: 191 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I’ve calculated that once your alliance reaches stage 4 by day 2, you can easily reach full personal progression even if a lot of us will lose the higher alliance rewards. It’s not like we will get nothing . I see players saying I’m skipping this event it’s not worth it. Samurai champed is doing enough damage matching black twice and 450 Yelena gives him a beating if he cascades . 
    The nerf to the boss will help a lot, but it's worth noting that sometimes it's just better to do as much damage as you can until garg gets his 7 blue, then instead of letting him fire it, just retreat. And when you're on your final node, take as much punishment as possible to take him down then. With ally TUs, a lot of damage can be done each turn.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It looks like we'll be stuck with the same boring boss and pve events in the future, even if the dev creates a new one.

This reminds me of the original Fight for Wakanda event. It was truly the only unique pve which requires a different playstyle for most subs. Unfortunately, tons of complains send this event to cold storage for years. When it got brought back, it became your typical pves. 

I think the dev should just remove 5* covers from future run and turn it back into your good old LT. Alternatively, the dev allows the commanders to choose from two modes: normal mode or insane mode.  Insane mode give you 5* covers while normal mode gives you LT. 

Will we ever see new unique and challenging pves/boss events in the future?
  • BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,174 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
     I think the dev should just remove 5* covers from future run and turn it back into your good old LT. Alternatively, the dev allows the commanders to choose from two modes: normal mode or insane mode.  Insane mode give you 5* covers while normal mode gives you LT. 
    Or they could just give out 5* covers more regularly and make 5* covers more available. We already have 70 5* in the game and counting, plus we've had 5* boosts for over a year. Giving out an extra one or two 5* covers every week isn't going to break the game. Players would still need the iso to level them up. And players would still be subject to RNG when pulling LTs or Classics to get 5s.

Will we ever see new unique and challenging pves/boss events in the future?
    I hope so. I've always said I would love to see the Gauntlet return. The current hoohah over the Heroic Shuma event was totally expected, but it's not something the new devs can't fix. And there will always be players complaining about something no matter what. I hope those complainers don't negatively affect the plans of BCS.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Here are the top 3 responses towards this event, pre-firefighting from the dev:

1) threatening to quit the game for good
    2) threatening to stop spending money
    3) call this event p2w --> I lol'ed at this. Some 5* players are losing even when they have at least one of those 5* champed. Even if you have the money to champ all 5* (Yelena/OMD/GG), it doesn't guarantee a win. 

Other responses:
    I can finish scl 9/10 pves; therefore, I should be able to complete this event.

For those who love Heroic events, this is the top 1 anti-Heroic response:

1) Why am I not allowed to use my hard-earned (either via cash or in-game rewards) characters? 

This is what happens when players only know how to Polaris/BRB or Hulkoye for the past two years and calling other non-meta characters a 'Skip'. You throw them a challenge, take away their meta teams and you get this.

How is the dev supposed to create challenging and unique events with these kinds of threats?
  • NMANOZ1
    NMANOZ1 Posts: 113 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I don't see any issues of how boss events have been run for a number of years. It is one area that doesn't need to be changed. The addition of 5 star covers as rewards was a step in the right direction for making 5 stars more obtainable. 

I was hoping to see a final reward added for all PvE events (SCL 10) a 5 star cover for a particular character.