Gargantos Heroic Boss Event Impressions

Options

Comments

• gamecat235
    gamecat235 Posts: 104 Tile Toppler
    Options
    One more voice of concern. I’m on day 1768, and have everyone rostered, but was late with my transition to 5* land (nearly all 4*’s champed, more than a handful of 5*’s champed, but none of the ones for this event). 

This event is looking impossible. I’m the cheerleader in our alliance such that it is, and this one has me feeling a little hopeless. 

I was even semi-optimistic headed in, but this feels like we’ll need to be lucky to advance to later rounds, not skilled. 
  • kattiara
    kattiara Posts: 1 Just Dropped In
    Options
    New-ish player, got into the game about a year and a half ago, and have been a daily player since then. I play all PVE events in scl9, and get full progression.

This just feels punishing. The tiny subset of characters we can use are ones that I only have a few covers each for. I don't have any of the 5* dark avengers, at all. Round 1 Gargantos smashed me, and the loaners are too weak to be viable.

I'm all for having a bit more strategy in general, but this is not fun. I went from excited about this event to planning to not play at all. What a letdown.
  • Bzhai
    Bzhai Posts: 461 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Restricted characters on side nodes make sense but on i think it's a error on boss fights. If you see the rest of your roster they are not greyed out like usual.
  • Zalasta
    Zalasta Posts: 273 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Ummm...  Yikes... 

No warning on this one at all, and not great characters to battle Gargantos.  

None of the essentials are actually essentials since you can play any of the allowed characters.

Boss events have needed an increase in difficulty, especially if they are now awarding 5-star covers, but I'm hoping a large part of this is a mistake.

If this is meant to be, I wonder if any devs played through it and got through round 8/personal progression.
  • LakeStone
    LakeStone Posts: 1,377 Community Moderator
    Options
    Appreciate the feedback here everyone, we will review these with the team.

A tip to help out in battle (that may have been shared elsewhere) - 

"Don't let Gargantos get Blue. Do everything you can to prevent this.
    Bait out matches by leaving Black open to match. With this team, his Tentacle Teeth does nothing. So he just matches Black and can't use it. Hurts from match damage, but will be worth it.
    Either match away his Tentacle Thrash or make sure you have at least a minor stock of whatever AP you can. It'll deal damage if you have zero AP in a pool when it goes off, but it'll do nothing (but move) if you have even 1 AP. Match 4s can work well for this from the splash AP gain from row/column destruction. Or you could run away from it using an AP boost and just make sure to refill."

• statnut
    statnut Posts: 131 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Disregard the greyed out part of my complaint, I now see the 1-star Venom in the vault. However, I don't recall vaults having 1-stars, or is that just my memory playing tricks again?
  • MegaBee
    MegaBee Posts: 991 Critical Contributor
    Options
    statnut said:
    Disregard the greyed out part of my complaint, I now see the 1-star Venom in the vault. However, I don't recall vaults having 1-stars, or is that just my memory playing tricks again?
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's new.
  • SuperCarrot
    SuperCarrot Posts: 178 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I appreciate all of the positive work that has been done by the new team in such a short time. I also like things being different and don’t mind ramping up the challenge for better rewards. This event is just punishing though. 
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yeah, way to kill the positive buzz.
    I guess the beancounters didn't like giving out two full 5* covers again, so they had to implement a "challenge".
  • AngelAlyss
    AngelAlyss Posts: 1 Just Dropped In
    Options
    This event is the most disappointing rubbish the game devs have ever put forth. Unshackle us and let us use our whole, hard-earned roster. Our alliances are going to bleed good players and the game will suffer player loss with this sort of gatekeeping event. 
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,268 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    If you do have yelena champed, Top of the Class can help you with AP suppression. I've yet to have Gargantos actually do anything active into the beginning of round 2.