Gargantos Heroic Boss Event Impressions

Options

Comments

• revskip
    revskip Posts: 975 Critical Contributor
    Options
    It's not theory. I've already posted videos of me clearing Gargantos with 3* Daken/Bullseye. Veteran players who have problem with 3* Daken don't know the word "strategy". Theoretically speaking, 3* Daken looks like a terrible choice. In practice, 3* Daken is the MVP for 3* players. They just need to strategise.
    I told you my 3* Daken is currently not champed, but I doubt that it would make a difference. Gargantos counters Daken + Rag very solidly for the reasons I've said.

3* Bullseye's purple is just way too expensive to rely on it. By the time I am able to use it, I got my team down by one member.

I just gave up already on this event since I inevitably lose against Gargantos no matter what team I use. The best synergy 3* DA guys have to offer is already shut down by the one-eyed octopus. And everything else is just... garbage.
    The side nodes are definitely giving my lower level account some pause now but I just beat Gargantos on my main account in round 8 with just the loaners.  Is it quick, nope.  But still a hell of lot faster for me than that first run of civil war when I took a 1 purple cover Howard the Duck and beat IM in round 8 with just match damage.  That one was rough!

The side nodes are definitely at a point where you'll need boosts and some luck.  But the boss node is totally doable.  
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,866 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    nixed said:
    I can speak on this event from two perspectives.
    I have an account where I have everybody rostered, nearly all 4s champed and a solid group of champ 5s.
    I've been using a nearly champed Yelena, Scorpion and Agent Venom. No problems at all. Haven't died once. Looking through the thread it seems alot of people are using Scorpion and Agent Venom.
    My daughter has an account as well. And she doesn't have any of the 5s or 4s. It sucks. If the nodes get progressively harder (she is seeing +300 enemies right now) with just champ 3s and 2s its gonna suck pretty bad.
    I guess that is the cost of not having one of the 6 out of 196 characters in 4/5 tier that they allowed for this event.
    I'm not gonna hit progression because my alliance which always hits progression has pretty much decided to sit this out. The same for her alliance.
    seems to be the consensus: if you're a 2-3 year+ player with all 4's champed, you can do this event without too much hassle. If you aren't, the devs are basically telling you this event isn't for you.

And to me as someone who is a 300 day player but is putting in TONS of work every single day, that feels really, really, really bad.
    MPQ is a marathon not a sprint. Nothing has changed. There have been far more boss type events in the past than this one that have been difficult for newer players, this one has loaners! Why should a 300 day player be landing 2 5*covers anyway? 
  • nixed
    nixed Posts: 21 Just Dropped In
    edited June 2022
    Options
    DAZ0273 said:
    nixed said:
    I have an account where I have everybody rostered, nearly all 4s champed and a solid group of champ 5s.
    I've been using a nearly champed Yelena, Scorpion and Agent Venom. No problems at all. Haven't died once. Looking through the thread it seems alot of people are using Scorpion and Agent Venom.
    My daughter has an account as well. And she doesn't have any of the 5s or 4s. It sucks. If the nodes get progressively harder (she is seeing +300 enemies right now) with just champ 3s and 2s its gonna suck pretty bad.
    I guess that is the cost of not having one of the 6 out of 196 characters in 4/5 tier that they allowed for this event.
    I'm not gonna hit progression because my alliance which always hits progression has pretty much decided to sit this out. The same for her alliance.
    seems to be the consensus: if you're a 2-3 year+ player with all 4's champed, you can do this event without too much hassle. If you aren't, the devs are basically telling you this event isn't for you.

And to me as someone who is a 300 day player but is putting in TONS of work every single day, that feels really, really, really bad.
    MPQ is a marathon not a sprint. Nothing has changed. There have been far more boss type events in the past than this one that have been difficult for newer players, this one has loaners! Why should a 300 day player be landing 2 5*covers anyway? 
    I understand that. I generally agree with it. And that's almost exactly confirming what my point was: If you're not already long-term player, this event is not for you. 

But it doesn't make *this event* feel any less bad for me, as someone with a limited roster who is trying to grind out as much as possible every day and contribute to my alliance. If i get a lucky board with Loaners and boosts I can beat gargantos; If i get an unlucky board I get wiped in one turn. 

Maybe if it wasn't an Alliance-based boss event I wouldn't care so much. I'd say "oh well guess this is out of reach for me," and continue about my day, probably playing much less over this weekend. 

I am not trying to be dramatic or threatening or anything. I'm simply stating a fact that this has made me definitely question the direction of the game going forward and how much I should spend caring/paying money/playing from here on. 
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,756 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    nixed said:

We have all been there. The difference was when I couldn’t finish past wave 4/5/6/7 or 8 my alliance would just request I did as much as I could on the boss wave flips. Any damage I could do was something.

Its not that the event wasn’t for me or you, just the five stars covers weren’t but just maybe you could give a few more points towards progression. 

That has been forgotten, it’s now, I can’t get everything this event is rubbish.

As I’ve said somewhere on this forum, I’ve been seriously impressed how some of my alliance have done with no 5* champs and very very baby four stars. They requested nuke team ups and played smarter. Most of them have got to 800k currently.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,866 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    nixed said:
    DAZ0273 said:
    nixed said:

I understand that. I generally agree with it. And that's almost exactly confirming what my point was: If you're not already long-term player, this event is not for you. 

But it doesn't make *this event* feel any less bad for me, as someone with a limited roster who is trying to grind out as much as possible every day and contribute to my alliance. If i get a lucky board with Loaners and boosts I can beat gargantos; If i get an unlucky board I get wiped in one turn. 

Maybe if it wasn't an Alliance-based boss event I wouldn't care so much. I'd say "oh well guess this is out of reach for me," and continue about my day, probably playing much less over this weekend. 

I am not trying to be dramatic or threatening or anything. I'm simply stating a fact that this has made me definitely question the direction of the game going forward and how much I should spend caring/paying money/playing from here on. 
    That is fair enough and hey I do understand. The Devs haven't said this is the way all things will be moving forward. Hang on in there and hopefully future Alliance stuff will be more palatable. We need you guys as much as we need 4 year + version and your views are definitely welcome, Especially when conveyed in the very reasonable way you have done so. If I could send you some team ups to help I would! 😃
  • Yepyep
    Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    edited June 2022
    Options
    nixed said:
    DAZ0273 said:
    nixed said:

So it's not -- at all -- that this  event is not for you, but rather that you'll likely not be able to complete it for all the prizes. But there are a TON of prizes any player can win just using the loaners. I remember playing The Gauntlet when I was still a 2* player and that was an exercise in brutal evisceration.

Long-term vets of this game know your frustration, but it's an inherent part of any progressive-power game. Any D&D/RPG gamer knows that you don't go after Demogorgon with a team of level-6 players. You might get 1/10 of the way into his lair, collecting loot and XP, but it's not going much further than that.

And, closer to home, I'm guessing you're not playing CL10 PvE -- but that you're OK with not getting those prizes. Think of this boss event as CL6-10 compressed into one event. Rounds 1-5 or so you'll do great. But Round 7-8, where you'll be getting 4* and 5* covers as rewards, are not yet within your reach. That is perfectly normal.

Check back with us at day 1,300 and let's see how you're doing in these events then.
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Tony_Foot said:
    As I’ve said somewhere on this forum, I’ve been seriously impressed how some of my alliance have done with no 5* champs and very very baby four stars. They requested nuke team ups and played smarter. Most of them have got to 800k currently.
    This was an event about interest and determination.
    There was a 5* with 9 covers (being good or not doesn't change that fact).
    If I was a new player I'm totally sure I'd had used that tool to make my way. Taking samurai, venom, and any other else I'd had fought my way, as this was the first boss battle offering such loaners.
    And, as I proved, until round 6 it could be done.
    Look if I'd could have enjoyed this event being a new player in the fact that actually I've fought with the loaners in order to check it, increasing the difficulty of a battle that I have won before hand with my roster.
  • TheEyeDoctorsWife
    TheEyeDoctorsWife Posts: 829 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I’ve been in forum long enough to know it’s basically a complaint factory regardless of time played . The euphemisms they use for complaining ( feedback, suggestions , and my favorite QOL improvements 🤔) to feminize their speech for complaints about the devs or the game are childish. I would love if the forums became a read only information site or at least had a permanent moderator to delete the hundreds of posts that do nothing positive for gameplay . Now excuse me I have to head out and hose down a local protest march.
  • Heartstone
    Heartstone Posts: 233 Tile Toppler
    edited June 2022
    Options
    nixed said:

As a long time vet, I want to provide some perspective. Back in the day there was an event called The Gauntlet. It was a very hard event that not only was a test to your roster; but was restrictive as well. No mirror matches meant you often had to play against the best characters and not have access to them yourself. And if you didn’t have the required characters you could not get full progression. This event was often seen as a measure of one’s roster. The day you finally got that 4* cover, you knew you “made it”. It was such an accomplishment. Back then if people just threw their hands up and said “this event isn’t for me” they’d be missing out on something important. Many players said I’m going to go as far as I can, collect the rewards I can and maybe next time my roster will be better and/or I’ll have the required characters. Maybe I’ll get a little further. They also knew that  if they stuck with it, one day they’d be on the other side of that wall, which was a measure of progress. 

Bottom line: the developers aren’t saying “this isn’t for you”, you are.

It’s been proven that you can hit round 6 with loaners. And you can at least do some damage to the boss in every round after to chip in for your alliance. At day 300 (less than one year) that’s pretty dang good. Is it good compared to the old way of sleepwalking to victory cheesing the latest meta and reaching pull prog on day 2? Probably not. But, here in lies the kicker… the rewards are way better now. So that’s the trade off.

For those saying they’d rather go back to the old way (sleepwalking to lesser rewards, no challenge- I think I read two people saying that here), you are cutting off your nose to spite your face. I know it feels bad seeing other people get the top shinies when you don’t. But… keep growing your roster. Champ them all. Forgo stacking levels on the meta and build wide. I promise you, next time this heroic boss event is ran you and your alliance will do a little better with proper knowledge of what you’re heading into (this is the one thing I do thing the devs could have done better). With some game planning, and more levels on those “**** characters” you might surprise yourself. Or maybe it’s a different required/boosted list altogether and you get full progression!  Point being, don’t settle for the easy way out and lesser rewards or expect to get 15% of a 5* champ as a participation trophy. Do your best, build your roster, think super long term (it’s just one event) and the rewards will come. When they do, you will feel like you “made it” as well. 

I again can’t stress enough how happy I am that this heroic/gauntlet element (that admittedly was controversial back then but the people who “got it” have been clamoring for for YEARS) is back!

I'm not going to tell the developers how to run their game and something like this could be a welcome change when comparing to the Nth Howard the duck event, but here are some things that I think  went wrong this time:
    - no communication or warning on the limitations
    - not greying out the forbidden characters,  making us believe that there was a bug
    - re-running an existing event without an communication about changes (see one line above for the effect)
    - starting the 'new' system with the dark avengers, probably the most despised affiliation of the game
    - starting Gargantos at a very high level: I'm now in round 4 and he hasn't moved much. Start him at 5000 points in round 1 and level him up each round would make it much more palatable and less frightening for newer players.
    - I may be wrong, but I think the minions  went from negligible to hard all at once between rounds 3 and 4. Here too, a more round-by-round approach would have been nicer.

All in all, we'll be less shocked next time, but please, let us play avengers or xmen or... anything but the meh dark avengers.

• Blergh
    Blergh Posts: 159 Tile Toppler
    Options
    nixed said:

As a long time vet, I want to provide some perspective. Back in the day there was an event called The Gauntlet. It was a very hard event that not only was a test to your roster; but was restrictive as well. No mirror matches meant you often had to play against the best characters and not have access to them yourself. And if you didn’t have the required characters you could not get full progression. This event was often seen as a measure of one’s roster. The day you finally got that 4* cover, you knew you “made it”. It was such an accomplishment. Back then if people just threw their hands up and said “this event isn’t for me” they’d be missing out on something important. Many players said I’m going to go as far as I can, collect the rewards I can and maybe next time my roster will be better and/or I’ll have the required characters. Maybe I’ll get a little further. They also knew that  if they stuck with it, one day they’d be on the other side of that wall, which was a measure of progress. 

It’s been proven that you can hit round 6 with loaners. And you can at least do some damage to the boss in every round after to chip in for your alliance. At day 300 (less than one year) that’s pretty dang good. Is it good compared to the old way of sleepwalking to victory cheesing the latest meta and reaching pull prog on day 2? Probably not. But, here in lies the kicker… the rewards are way better now. So that’s the trade off.

For those saying they’d rather go back to the old way (sleepwalking to lesser rewards, no challenge- I think I read two people saying that here), you are cutting off your nose to spite your face. I know it feels bad seeing other people get the top shinies when you don’t. But… keep growing your roster. Champ them all. Forgo stacking levels on the meta and build wide. I promise you, next time this heroic boss event is ran you and your alliance will do a little better with proper knowledge of what you’re heading into (this is the one thing I do thing the devs could have done better). With some game planning, and more levels on those “**** characters” you might surprise yourself. Or maybe it’s a different required/boosted list altogether and you get full progression!  Point being, don’t settle for the easy way out and lesser rewards or expect to get 15% of a 5* champ as a participation trophy. Do your best, build your roster, think super long term (it’s just one event) and the rewards will come. When they do, you will feel like you “made it” as well. 

I again can’t stress enough how happy I am that this heroic/gauntlet element (that admittedly was controversial back then but the people who “got it” have been clamoring for for YEARS) is back!

I'm not going to tell the developers how to run their game and something like this could be a welcome change when comparing to the Nth Howard the duck event, but here are some things that I think  went wrong this time:
    - not greying out the forbidden characters,  making us believe that there was a bug
    - re-running an existing event without an communication about changes (see one line above for the effect)
    - starting the 'new' system with the dark avengers, probably the most despised affiliation of the game
    - starting Gargantos at a very high level: I'm now in round 4 and he hasn't moved much. Start him at 5000 points in round 1 and level him up each round would make it much more palatable and less frightening for newer players.
    - I may be wrong, but I think the minions  went from negligible to hard all at once between rounds 3 and 4. Here too, a more round-by-round approach would have been nicer.

All in all, we'll be less shocked next time, but please, let us play avengers or xmen or... anything but the meh dark avengers.

I think the biggest problem comes from the shallow content strategy in MPQ. 

The smaller rosters feel undervalued as players due to being locked out of the only meaty PVE. They haven't got much to play for 3 days. And as it is the only meaty PVE and has alliance rewards attached - they feel like they have to play. This is a bad content strategy, as it gives them two reasons to try competing games. Something to play and find a game that values them as players.  

I can see why they feel frustrated.

One of the other events that is running is a puzzle gauntlet. If you don't enjoy challenging events then your content choice becomes thinner. Again a bad content strategy as it gives people who are not looking for a challenge a reason to look elsewhere. 

I can see why people that don't enjoy that feel undervalued. 

They should develop lower roster events only and lock out the bigger ones to run parallel to the challenging events. They should also develop a deeper range of evergreen/ongoing content so everyone has something to do when there aren't events they enjoy running.

A wider range of content is needed to please a wider audience. Without it, people have an incentive to leave the game for one that provides better entertainment for them. 

But if they don't have the numbers or budget to do that -  they are always going to be facing these problems. 
  • Tarelgeth
    Tarelgeth Posts: 67 Match Maker
    Options
    nixed said:

Growing your roster isn't a solution to only being given five characters to play with.

If it was two required slots and one open slot, that encourages a broad roster, so you can come up with a good character who works with the other two to solve the problem.

Three requireds doesn't encourage a broad roster.  It encourages a roster highly invested in those specific characters.
  • Captain_Trips88
    Captain_Trips88 Posts: 266 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Love having roster restrictions and all the controversy it causes!
    Was this the worst team possible to pick? Yup! Is it hilarious? Oh yes.

I remember the challenge of the gauntlet and using it each time it came round to see how well my roster had progressed in that time. Actually having to work out a strategy to win battles each fight.

5* rewards for boss events are fantastic, and will make the challenge worthwhile. Its also great getting to roll out 5* goblin again, he was my first one champed and my number one pick for years. 

Looking forward to more events going forward that force the player base to use more of the roster. 
  • Daniel2121
    Daniel2121 Posts: 205 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Funny, I'm using loaner OMD + my own Eddie Venom + my own 3* Bullseye for Gargantos, and the loaners for the other nodes. If the other nodes get tougher, I'm gonna switch to Daken + Ragnarok instead. They do fine in nodes that aren't Gargantos.

I've been winning against the octopus now, but how easy it goes varies wildly from "my guys suffered no damage at all" to "got one guy down and the others barely alive" by the time it ends.
  • TheEyeDoctorsWife
    TheEyeDoctorsWife Posts: 829 Critical Contributor
    Options
    When I see the number of positive gameplay experiences so far with the new regime making my overall gameplay experience more enjoyable and rewarding , the absolute last thing I would think of is complaining . I actually live for a daily challenge in life and play the same way . My analogy of the complaining is like my company telling me we’ve given you a 10% salary increase but will be increasing your tax withholding by 1% and me getting angry and threatening to quit over the tax increase . 
  • Tarelgeth
    Options
    When I see the number of positive gameplay experiences so far with the new regime making my overall gameplay experience more enjoyable and rewarding , the absolute last thing I would think of is complaining . I actually live for a daily challenge in life and play the same way . My analogy of the complaining is like my company telling me we’ve given you a 10% salary increase but will be increasing your tax withholding by 1% and me getting angry and threatening to quit over the tax increase . 
    I would agree with you.. if I found it challenging.  I haven't lost a round, and I see a lot of people posting the same.  It's not difficult if you've got a champed Scorpion or Yelena. Even then, most of the strategies I see involve "hope you've got these supports, hope they give you the early AP boost, win without effort." 

That's the problem with artificially introduced difficulty like this.  It's not hard if you're lucky, and if you're not lucky it's wretched.  Neither are good outcomes.  Neither give you options or provide much ability to influence the outcome via strategy.
  • Tarelgeth
    Options
    To use your analogy, it's more like expecting a raise and instead getting a promotion to Executive without any additional pay.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,927 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I agree with the communication piece. 

The greying out is whatever. I figured it out in game once I realized it was Dark Avengers only. Had that had been communicated better, people wouldn’t have thought it was a bug. 

Point 3 is the same as 1 (no communication).

Starting with Dark Avengers? I mean if they’re going to cycle through affiliations, their number was going to get called eventually. If your strategy is to build wide, it doesn’t really matter whose number gets called. 

They rectified the Gargantos issue promptly rather than waiting until the next time it runs. If anything that’s a +1 to the devs. 

The negligible to hard thing has been true for as long as I can remember in all boss events. It’s not specific to this one. 

So really, my only issue is the communication piece (and I named it in the post you responded to). Managing expectations is super important and they dropped the ball there. But now we’ll know going forward that this restricted roster is a possibility (and likely if we want to keep getting those 5* covers). There was a ton of good on this change:

- Giving two 5* covers instead of it being a “one time thing” for GG release. 

- Providing loaners so everyone can contribute. 

- Providing a greater challenge instead of an event you can sleepwalk through. 

- Providing on the fly changes over the weekend to help players both with GG and with the vault (super cool). 

- Creating an event that has people talking more/ discussing actual strategies in alliances, on here and on Line. 

I’ll take all those positives with the one negative (albeit a big one) of not being more upfront about the changes.  I’m willing to give a ton of grace as they have been great at communicating, responding, making the game better, and planning to build on that even more based on the Q and A.  

• Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,927 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Tarelgeth said:
    nixed said:

Growing your roster isn't a solution to only being given five characters to play with.

If it was two required slots and one open slot, that encourages a broad roster, so you can come up with a good character who works with the other two to solve the problem.

Three requireds doesn't encourage a broad roster.  It encourages a roster highly invested in those specific characters.
    I disagree. If it’s only two required, then everyone who has him is Shang-Chi-ing the boss or using some other meta, and there’s no challenge. 

I don’t think you have to be “highly invested” (which to me means max champed or close to it) in the DA characters. I just baby champ and move on which affords tools for anything they want to throw at me. The drawback is I can’t clear as fast as the 550 Okoye crowd in all the other events that allow for an open roster, but I’m okay with it, and like that they are starting to reward the chase everyone crowd in PVE and PVP while also allowing for other avenues for progression for those who either can’t (new rosters) or won’t (vets who refuse to build/play different/off-meta). Examples being lowering the win count in PVP, and providing loaners in boss events.  
  • Tarelgeth
    Options
    Tarelgeth said:
    nixed said:

I disagree. If it’s only two required, then everyone who has him is Shang-Chi-ing the boss or using some other meta, and there’s no challenge. 

I don’t think you have to be “highly invested” (which to me means max champed or close to it) in the DA characters. I just baby champ and move on which affords tools for anything they want to throw at me. The drawback is I can’t clear as fast as the 550 Okoye crowd in all the other events that allow for an open roster, but I’m okay with it, and like that they are starting to reward the chase everyone crowd in PVE and PVP while also allowing for other avenues for progression for those who either can’t (new rosters) or won’t (vets who refuse to build/play different/off-meta). Examples being lowering the win count in PVP, and providing loaners in boss events.  
    And I disagree with that.  Shang Chi would be a terrible choice here.  No feed support to get him his red or purple, constantly losing it to the boss's countdown tiles, having to waste matches on denying blue, he'd be in a bad position.  Kitty might do better, but then whoops, she makes the specialtiles stronger and then Gargantos starts biting faces off.

I've been playing 1400+ days.  I don't have all the 4*s champed yet.  More than not, so I had Scorpion ready and won easily.  If I hadn't randomly picked him as one of the ones to pour 350,000 Iso into, this would have been a horrible event.  Instead, I happened to have gone yeah I guess I'll level him next, and instead it was an easy event.  Woop de do.  Zero strategy involved.