Gargantos Heroic Boss Event Impressions

Comments

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,083 Chairperson of the Boards
    Not just using loaners but definitely leaning on them as needed. In my latest clear of Round 6 I used loaners (either Daken or Venom) and a level 300 Sentry(my 366 version is healing) or my base level 255 Goblin 3/2/0 for each of the single nodes and won them all. For the wave node I used Scorpion (296) and Bullseye and loaner Daken and for Gargantos I used a variety of teams based upon who was beat up the most so also Anti-Venom (295) and Venom (306) and Yelena (308 4/2/3)
  • Blergh
    Blergh Posts: 159 Tile Toppler
    @Double_O_Revan Just out of interest, would your initial reaction to the event have been more positive if it was more clearly communicated in game how the mechanics between this event and the previous run differed? 

Say like you a got a small five node tutorial event, where you got a tiny drop of iso for participating, talking you through the limited roster, how it worked while also explaining it was going to be a puzzling/challenging event. 

Just wondering how much of the initial reaction was people anticipating the ease of the first event but getting a spike in difficulty in the second run due to new mechanics they didn't understand.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,083 Chairperson of the Boards
    I guess I never registered for the forums before and had to wait a few days to have my account verified, so I missed most of the early bickering. But I did want to put my input out there. 

I'm just about to hit 3 years playing. And I,  like many, am not enjoying this event. It's not as bad as the immediate reactions. It took a little bit to figure the characters out, but it's still more frustrating than it should be. The limited usable characters, which are made even more limited by the fact that half of them are dups. To top it off, they're one of the least fun groups in the game.

The only people that seem to be relishing in the challenge are the players of whom this is their primary game. They play heavily every day and do everything they can. For me, this is a game I play while walking the dog, or sitting on the toilet. This game is a time kill for me. I'm not looking to beat my head against a wall to finish a node. And I know I'm not alone in that level of play.

So to release an event that is this frustrating, really alienates a good chunk of your player base. And a big thing no one else really brought up, you also released Puzzle Gauntlet at the same time. Which can be challenging in itself. A different level of challenge, but still it's own level of frustration. So now there are 2 events, with limited character choices and a level of difficulty that can be a big turn off to a large percentage of your user base. With nothing else to do in PVE for a few days. 

I'm trying to get through it for the sake of my Alliance. We have a pretty even split of 1/3 veterans who have been playing for 5+ years, 1/3 of 2-4, and the rest a year or less. I'm working through it, but I'm struggling. I don't see how the lower level people are going to make any real impact. I feel like you kind of wrote them off right from the start.

I was extremely excited when during the last boss, the rewards got bumped to guaranteed 5* vs the LL token. Nothing sucks more than putting in all that hard work only to get a random 4*. But if this is the trade off in order to get those rewards, I'd rather go back.
    I guess I never registered for the forums before and had to wait a few days to have my account verified, so I missed most of the early bickering. But I did want to put my input out there. 

I'm just about to hit 3 years playing. And I,  like many, am not enjoying this event. It's not as bad as the immediate reactions. It took a little bit to figure the characters out, but it's still more frustrating than it should be. The limited usable characters, which are made even more limited by the fact that half of them are dups. To top it off, they're one of the least fun groups in the game.

The only people that seem to be relishing in the challenge are the players of whom this is their primary game. They play heavily every day and do everything they can. For me, this is a game I play while walking the dog, or sitting on the toilet. This game is a time kill for me. I'm not looking to beat my head against a wall to finish a node. And I know I'm not alone in that level of play.

So to release an event that is this frustrating, really alienates a good chunk of your player base. And a big thing no one else really brought up, you also released Puzzle Gauntlet at the same time. Which can be challenging in itself. A different level of challenge, but still it's own level of frustration. So now there are 2 events, with limited character choices and a level of difficulty that can be a big turn off to a large percentage of your user base. With nothing else to do in PVE for a few days. 

I'm trying to get through it for the sake of my Alliance. We have a pretty even split of 1/3 veterans who have been playing for 5+ years, 1/3 of 2-4, and the rest a year or less. I'm working through it, but I'm struggling. I don't see how the lower level people are going to make any real impact. I feel like you kind of wrote them off right from the start.

I was extremely excited when during the last boss, the rewards got bumped to guaranteed 5* vs the LL token. Nothing sucks more than putting in all that hard work only to get a random 4*. But if this is the trade off in order to get those rewards, I'd rather go back.
    Hopefully you can get some 4* covers for a great 4* in Scorpion. If you are strictly casual then the 5* isn't really that important to you? It honestly is doable but you might just have to prepare to lose once in a while. I don't know how hard it will get and obviously we have another dreaded boost to the side nodes later today but the first run of this event was a joke. Something had to change. If you got 5* covers from that then really you should be looking at this as OK I got paid up front so maybe now is the time to get to work. Obviously you may not see it that way which is of course fine.
  • scottishhaig
    scottishhaig Posts: 18 Just Dropped In

This sums up my feelings well.  I am on day 356 after returning.  This is a new account.  I would consider myself a very casual player though I play everyday.  

I'm not big on strategy.  SCL10 is mostly Kitty/Pol/Grocket.  I don't delve too far into the Puzzle Gauntlet - my 4* roster is just not deep enough (champed toons) and as I've noted, not big on strategy.  I have 6 champed 5* w/ two more at 12 covers.  Sadly the 5* for this event are at best 3 covers and I do not have a champed Scorpion or AV.

I've beaten the squid maybe 5 times?  I typically use the loaners until the last go and then switch to my champed 3* DA toons which makes it slightly easier.  I did start using a +1 AP boost.  I will not make progression on this one.  My alliance is on round 5 and while I'll probably attempt 6, I don't anticipate making it very far.  

All that said.  It's just a game.  I learned from my previous play that getting frustrated is not the way to play so if I come up against something that defeats me quickly, I just wait for the next event.  I get enough of an analytical workout from my job - I don't need it when I'm trying to relax.

While I'm definitely on the side of those that don't like this event, normal play will resume in a couple of days.  I'm sure the devs are aware of the feelings on this and will hopefully adjust accordingly.

For those curious, yes, I do spend real money on this activity - certainly much more than I should, but it's my entertainment so my choice.
  • CHRISJN
    CHRISJN Posts: 113 Tile Toppler
    Impression:
    Limited use of character is good. Back from the old heroic pve event.
    Gargantos is not too hard to kill, even in round 8. Match damage from yelena and GG can beat  him, plus AG's passive board shake every turn..
    And of course the rewards are too good. Free 5* are always appreciated. And I can finally champ 4* scorpion..
  • dianetics
    dianetics Posts: 1,588 Chairperson of the Boards
    Think I can give y overall thoughts on this now that I’m finished, and my alliance is almost done.

Previously this event was way too easy. Everyone cleared it without issue the last time it was around.

Now it was painful before they hot fixed the damage issues. After the hot fix it still was annoying but manageable.
    The side nodes in the last tiers can be nail biters if you don’t get a good board.
    I think about 75% of my alliance will finish this which is not normal.

I think maybe a change in the future that would work better would 2 required and 1 free slot. Not everyone has a fat roster and it could alleviate some issues.
  • Heartbreaksoup
    Heartbreaksoup Posts: 356 Mover and Shaker
    There really does seem to be a bit of cognitive dissonance when members start their complaints with "I've played this game for four years and..." when they are angered by a three-day event.

It's three days.  A regular PVE will be available this time tomorrow.  If you can't play this one at the level you wish, go read a book or something.  Normal service will be resumed.
  • dianetics
    dianetics Posts: 1,588 Chairperson of the Boards
    It’s not about time invested. It’s just about the imbalance compared to the previous boss events. It was clearly too hard before the hot fix.
    An unlucky cascade could wipe your team within the first four turns… in round 1.
    Paired with the neutered roster choice it was seemingly going to be overly difficult around round 6 or 7.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    We're almost done, so time for a recap
    Event was fine after the adjustment to Garg blue.
    Heroics are fine - even meta chasers should have 300+ 4s from opening all those LTs.
    And a level 300+ Agent Venom and Scorpion was all that was needed to compete.
    Smaller rosters can contribute with the loaners.

All of the backlash could have been avoided by not springing this on the playerbase on such short notice, and explaining what Heroic means.

After adjusting my expectations that I will never have to use a health pack on a boss event, ever, it was fine.

Heroic Juggs next, please!
  • Double_O_Revan
    Double_O_Revan Posts: 3 Just Dropped In
    Blergh said:
    @Double_O_Revan Just out of interest, would your initial reaction to the event have been more positive if it was more clearly communicated in game how the mechanics between this event and the previous run differed? 

Say like you a got a small five node tutorial event, where you got a tiny drop of iso for participating, talking you through the limited roster, how it worked while also explaining it was going to be a puzzling/challenging event. 

Just wondering how much of the initial reaction was people anticipating the ease of the first event but getting a spike in difficulty in the second run due to new mechanics they didn't understand.
    My initial reaction was similar to most I think. I started and it was round 2, I picked what I thought was a decent team, and I wiped in no time. Shock I would say. I guess if they warned us more in advance, and gave us a breakdown of the usable characters, I would've still been disappointed because of the limited pool, but at least we would've known something. I think a lot of people stated this should've been listed as a Heroic Event and not a boss battle. In 3 years I've played, boss battles have been pretty reasonable. Very few problems. But this came out of no where and surprised a lot of people. I'm fine with boss battles having the nodes that require specific characters, but for the whole event to require nothing but a slim few, that's annoying to say the least. I feel like this should've been it's own event. Advertised and made for the more dedicated crowd.
    DAZ0273 said:
    Hopefully you can get some 4* covers for a great 4* in Scorpion. If you are strictly casual then the 5* isn't really that important to you? It honestly is doable but you might just have to prepare to lose once in a while. I don't know how hard it will get and obviously we have another dreaded boost to the side nodes later today but the first run of this event was a joke. Something had to change. If you got 5* covers from that then really you should be looking at this as OK I got paid up front so maybe now is the time to get to work. Obviously you may not see it that way which is of course fine.
    I do have Scorpion champed. He as been my MVP. I play enough that I have at least 1 of every 5*. I have a recently champed Kitty, and if I want to I have 3 more with 13/13 covers. But I have 33 4*s left to champ. So I do play enough. And getting the new KK was going to be a nice addition to my roster. I hope I can make it.

I'm not big on strategy.  SCL10 is mostly Kitty/Pol/Grocket.  I don't delve too far into the Puzzle Gauntlet - my 4* roster is just not deep enough (champed toons) and as I've noted, not big on strategy.  I have 6 champed 5* w/ two more at 12 covers.  Sadly the 5* for this event are at best 3 covers and I do not have a champed Scorpion or AV.

That's basically me as well. I have no problem exclaiming that I am a Polaris & whoever user, be it Kitty/Grocket/BRB/Jugg and was hoping soon to be 5* KK. I only do the hard 2 Puzzle Gauntlet matches which earns me 2 guaranteed pulls for the support and I ignore the rest. I have Kitty champed, and can also champ 5* Shang Chi, Xavier, Gamora. Most of my other 5*s are 1 or 2 covers though. I'm going to finish my 4*s first.
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,787 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bowgentle said:
    Heroics are fine - even meta chasers should have 300+ 4s from opening all those LTs.

All of the backlash could have been avoided by not springing this on the playerbase on such short notice, and explaining what Heroic means.

After adjusting my expectations that I will never have to use a health pack on a boss event, ever, it was fine.

My scorpion is not that high but he was clearly the mvp of this event. I used two health packs the whole event and Garg got his blue off once. I disagree that the backlash will be less. If they run meet rocket and groot with heroic after so long with people using whatever meta team they have, there will be another uproar.

I think too long has passed and as great as it was they tweaked the numbers, well you know this player base and expectations. The only heroic event that would suffice would be okoye, ihulk, kitty, Polaris, bb  ;)
  • scottishhaig
    scottishhaig Posts: 18 Just Dropped In
    edited June 2022
    Tony_Foot said:
    Bowgentle said:

My scorpion is not that high but he was clearly the mvp of this event. I used two health packs the whole event and Garg got his blue off once. I disagree that the backlash will be less. If they run meet rocket and groot with heroic after so long with people using whatever meta team they have, there will be another uproar.

I think too long has passed and as great as it was they tweaked the numbers, well you know this player base and expectations. The only heroic event that would suffice would be okoye, ihulk, kitty, Polaris, bb  ;)
    I feel the issue is the 180 degree flip.  Prior to this event players were used to a specific dynamic / play style.  Boss fights (while not a cakewalk - at least for me) could be done with most at least making progression.  Then we walked into a room naked and everyone just laughed.

You mentioned in another post that people can't be bothered to learn new tactics.  I agree with that in part, but you also have to give people a chance to change.  It's like going from learning fractions in elementary school and then straight to AP calculus in middle school.  Most people would just throw their hands up and not bother.  I'm certainly not saying this game is as difficult as calculus, but hopefully you see the analogy.

I would be more concerned with the newer players that have been around for only a few months.  This would have been a considerable wake up for them.  Similar to receiving horrible service at a restaurant and vowing not to go back (at least for a good while).   Hopefully, they see that this isn't an every day occurrence.

I think a previous post I saw that suggested splitting this event into normal and heroic with awards adjusted accordingly would be a good way to go.  Or maybe have the Boss / Heroic events have SCLs like the standard scenarios.  Those that wanted the challenge could select SCL 10 and get 2 5* covers and others could select whatever they felt better fit their play style w/ awards adjusted accordingly.  It should never have to be all or nothing.

Quick edit to add:  When I restarted this time I checked out guides and other resources to see how to best approach what toons to level and focus on.  Obviously said guides called out the best toons in their respective tiers.  Kitty, BRB, Okoye - Polaris, Medusa, Juggs - Strange, KK - etc. In not one guide did I see any indication I should be concentrating on ALL toons so why in the world would I (or anyone) consider trying to get shard, covers, etc. for GG, Yelena, Samdak or the other toons for this event?  The only exception I would have considered is Scorpion, but even he is considered less than stellar versus 10+ other 4*.  Just another perspective to offer.  I'm not saying any guide is a be all expert on the game, but something to consider.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    Here are the top 3 responses towards this event, pre-firefighting from the dev:

1) threatening to quit the game for good
    2) threatening to stop spending money
    3) call this event p2w --> I lol'ed at this. Some 5* players are losing even when they have at least one of those 5* champed. Even if you have the money to champ all 5* (Yelena/OMD/GG), it doesn't guarantee a win. 

Other responses:
    I can finish scl 9/10 pves; therefore, I should be able to complete this event.

For those who love Heroic events, this is the top 1 anti-Heroic response:

1) Why am I not allowed to use my hard-earned (either via cash or in-game rewards) characters? 

This is what happens when players only know how to Polaris/BRB or Hulkoye for the past two years and calling other non-meta characters a 'Skip'. You throw them a challenge, take away their meta teams and you get this.

How is the dev supposed to create challenging and unique events with these kinds of threats?
    This right here is my fear. I hate your second #1 point the most. So much entitlement.  I paid for this therefore I should be entitled to…. (Like your 550 Okoye didn’t get you your moneys worth in every other event ever). Also, a lot of these 550 meta players aren’t big spenders. Quite the opposite. Just hoard hoard hoard and unload on an anniversary vault. Which is what the devs don’t want. 

Bad said:
    The patch is live now. Gargantos match damage downed and loaners levels increased.
    This is what happens when you think and you do constructive criticism, and treat devs with respect.
    Umm no. Please see what I quoted from Hound above. This is an outcry almost as bad as the Shardmas debacle which you LOVE to bring up often. There have been very few “constructive” or “respectful” posts from the anti camp. 

• BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,181 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2022
    Heh i thought I’m the one who always brings up the Shartgate fiasco B)

Also to be fair to @Bad, I believe what they mean is that when we players are respectful and civil about our criticisms, the devs will respond in kind, as in how they were so quick to make amendments.

Basically, be a nice person. And if the other party can’t reciprocate, that’s an issue with them, not you.
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Umm no. Please see what I quoted from Hound above. This is an outcry almost as bad as the Shardmas debacle which you LOVE to bring up often. There have been very few “constructive” or “respectful” posts from the anti camp. 
    Look that I talk a lot about everything, but shardmas debacle precisely it's something I never talk as it didn't affected me. 
    And read at the first pages. Not really the most respectful comments, or something expressed towards getting valuable feedback as most comments now.
    To communicate them the way to fight this event (boosting the loaners) was something valuable,and look at the coincidence, I think it was me the one who did. So I was remarking that positive attitude.
  • Bowgentle
    Come on.
    The outrage posts were mostly from people with less than 10 posts, many registered to just post how terrible it is.
    Disregard those, and you have a much more sensible reaction from most people.
  • Bowgentle
    Yes Feedback is appreciated and important.
    I just wanted to avoid the usual white Knights running with like two posters to say "ALL PEOPLE HATE THE DEVS! You're all so mean, you don't deserve interactions with the devs!"

Reasonably worded feedback is always good.
  • nixed
    nixed Posts: 21 Just Dropped In
    I can speak on this event from two perspectives.
    I have an account where I have everybody rostered, nearly all 4s champed and a solid group of champ 5s.
    I've been using a nearly champed Yelena, Scorpion and Agent Venom. No problems at all. Haven't died once. Looking through the thread it seems alot of people are using Scorpion and Agent Venom.
    My daughter has an account as well. And she doesn't have any of the 5s or 4s. It sucks. If the nodes get progressively harder (she is seeing +300 enemies right now) with just champ 3s and 2s its gonna suck pretty bad.
    I guess that is the cost of not having one of the 6 out of 196 characters in 4/5 tier that they allowed for this event.
    I'm not gonna hit progression because my alliance which always hits progression has pretty much decided to sit this out. The same for her alliance.
    seems to be the consensus: if you're a 2-3 year+ player with all 4's champed, you can do this event without too much hassle. If you aren't, the devs are basically telling you this event isn't for you.

And to me as someone who is a 300 day player but is putting in TONS of work every single day, that feels really, really, really bad.