{Update} Upcoming Gameboard Fixes (3/19/21)

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,916 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It should be apparent that this experiment is largely unpopular. I get there may be a need for a new board for coding purposes. It seems there were no complaints about the old color scheme. Hopefully they decide to pivot back to that or, better yet, provide it as one of a number of options. 
    I’d like to do another poll to see which of the three boards people like the most but would like screen shots of all three complete with special and charged tiles if anyone has them?
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Most people seem to be assuming that the screen dimming is part of a fix to stop the hack, well if that is the case then the simple answer is that they need to find a different fix, if you have a cut on your finger, chopping off your arm is not a fix you should be using.

I'm not so sure that was their sole intention with this, it would be simple enough to continue to force the animation to complete while keeping the screen brightness the same, as somebody mentions previously about the colours, the dimming seems like a change that would make it more obvious to newer players that the enemy was taking their turn and that was why they couldn't make a move at that time.
  • MavC130H2
    MavC130H2 Posts: 3 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I hate the dimming. It's almost like motion sickness for me... like a strobe light... or reading in a moving car.  I am not sure why they did this, but it's the one change I absolutely hate.  I feel like I've thrown away almost 6.5 years on this game (and lots of money). Maybe it's time to break up and move on. I want to say, "It's not you. It's me." But it is most definitely YOU.
  • Akoni
    Akoni Posts: 789 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Thank you for the update. I am satisfied with the changes. They aren't perfect, but better. If the UI continues to improve with small adjustments here and there, it will eventually be best for most players. With that said:
    1. Dimming- This causes less eye strain for me during shorter sessions, but longer sessions are still bothersome. The dimming is significantly less, but could be lessened more.
    2. Tile animation- I didn't notice until the dimming was lessened, but the flashes that occur when tiles are matched is a bit much against the dimmed screen. I don't notice it as much on my turn. What little strain I experience now may be more related to that. Using a warmer white on those flashes may improve the issue.
    3. Tile color- The adjustment to the tiles causes less eye strain for me, but may not be optimal for others. I can also see what others mean when referring to the purple (aka pink) and red tiles. They are fairly similar in color, but discernible for those without colorblindness. Other than getting a dedicated focus group together or going through a lot of trial and error, I have no suggestions for this one.
    4. Tile shape- Delineating between the [blue] rectangles and [green] squares appears to be more difficult now. This may be more challenging for those with colorblindness since they rely heavily on tile shapes. In the future, this can be improved upon by changing the shape of the rectangles. Four-point stars or hourglasses would be my pick, but anything that is significantly different works.
    5. Icons- Character icons are still very pronounced making the screen look "busy". This makes it difficult to discern between special tiles and basic tiles during fast-paced gameplay. Making character icons slightly less pronounced may address this issue.
    6. AP indicators- These are significantly better. It is now easier to see approximately how much AP is present and when it is full.
  • AndiTi
    AndiTi Posts: 127 Tile Toppler
    edited April 2021
    Options
    LakeStone said:
    • Purple Tile shifts redder/warmer
    After playing with this adjustment all weekend, I had to go back and verify that a developer actually refers to this color as purple and not pink. Even the original game board "purple" was very pinkish, so I actually started to wonder if I and others had just been calling it purple when it was intended to be pink all along.

Since I am lucky enough to not suffer from colorblindness or headaches as a result of this change, I'm mostly just ambivalent about the whole thing. It's an adjustment I clearly didn't need or ask for since I've played the game daily for years prior to any such change, but I get people like new and shiny things and content creators especially get tired of their old designs and like to fiddle and tweak. So be it.
    But for all that, the one thing that still gets under my skin, like a buzzing noise I can only barely hear in the background but is always, always there and irritating, is this "purple". It was mild at the beginning, but the more I play it, the more it annoys me: It's too close to the red, it's not a color I particularly enjoy, and it is not by any stretch of the imagination purple.

I have nieces, and if one of them asked me for a purple crayon out of the 64 color box and I handed them the shade currently in this game, they'd look at me like I'd lost my mind or didn't hear them.
    If you want to change the color to this, fine, but just call it what it is: PINK. That fixes all expectations to the contrary. If you want the tiles to be purple, then make them PURPLE. There are many shades to choose from, even reddish/warm ones, that actually look purple. Why this bubblegum pink of all things? 
    Yes, this is petty and the last time I'll post on it, but if this thread is for honest feedback then developers, here it is: change the color to something purple, or change the name. Calling that pink "purple" is annoying and likely going to initially confuse any new players wondering where their "purple" powers are supposed to be and what they are supposed to do with all the pink AP.
    /endrant.
  • BeetleGeorge
    BeetleGeorge Posts: 76 Match Maker
    Options
    I've played now quite a while with the "fixed" board and it is not good enough to get me back to paying.
    I still can't look too close because of the dimming and flashing causing headache otherwise. And the new problem is that recently I have troubles with red and pink (or purple, as you like). I never had problems with color blindness and I have no trouble to see the difference when I look closely which unfortunately I can't do without risking a headache.
    So for me old colors were best, intermediate second and new one worst.
    An option to switch off dimming would be the most important for me. Being able to dim flashing would be the second most important. Choosing the color scheme would be a nice third, but maybe not really important if the first two were available.