R192: Champion Rewards Updates

Options

Comments

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,179 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2019
    Options
    @IceIX I have a level 306 Rogue, and only got a Gambit cover + 100 shards. What happens now with what would have been the level 300 cover I no longer get since I didn’t get any of those earned shards?

my 298 Vulture picked up the correct number of Parker shards.

It looks like what happened was that new feeder character shards were treated the same as existing feeder character conversions?

was this intended?

I also got 200 shards each for XFDP and XFW, but no other 4*s. What happened there? I would have expected to get a shard-value cover for Sabretooth off my lvl 241 Patch Wolverine, but got 0 shards.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2019
    Options
    I find that comment weird. I interpret it as why are players arguing about what is considered free stuff. What's the context?
    I read it as dev feeling defensive about player outrage over these retroactive rewards and asking "why are players upset when all of these retroactive rewards amount to 'free stuff.'"

I am sure it sucks to take a lot of harsh criticism on line, but there are many many things wrong with that statement.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Oh my what a mess. This is pretty bad for old rosters. We have been genuinely screwed with the feeders (I don't even care about the 3 to 4 rewards).

So with my 340 IMHB instead of 4 Rescue covers I get 1 and 300 shards? (and the correct amount should have been 1500, not even the retroactive compensation is right)
    With my 358 Cyclops instead of 5 Cable covers I get 1 and 750 shards?

And it something similar for Storm and Iceman. Like SERIOUSLY??????
  • crackninja
    crackninja Posts: 444 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I could see why they went this route, not wanting is to get the cp rewards and shards...except didn't they tell us that the losses were minimal and we'd never notice?  And didn't they previously, k knowingly, let us double dip on LT's and the 5* covers?

They knew full well what they were doing all along.  And their silence and super late announcement patterns followed by more silence only cements in my mind their intentions and understanding of the response they would receive.
  • MrEd95
    MrEd95 Posts: 280 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    There must be more batches of rewards coming at a later point. To use a fan favourite character, talos, as an example, I have a level 262 3* captain marvel, and in the listed rewards, there are ticks next to all the ‘received’ talos shards. However, if I look at Talos, he is sitting on zero shards currently. I should have at least received some, if it were all delivered in the same data push.

im sure there will still be some shards that slip the net, but there should definitely be some more coming
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,176 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    For the record, I very much had a "wait and see" approach in regards to shards. 

They're essentially colorless covers, a long-requested feature. I knew there were likely gonna be some  tradeoffs. 

When they were initially announced and implemented and some people immediately went negative, I was still waiting to see what the full picture would look like before weighing in. 

I realize there will likely still be updates to PvE and PvP placement/progression rewards to include shards. 

But if this update is any indication, just stop. Please stop the bleeding. Go back to bonus heroes. With each update, it seems better and better in hindsight and comparison. Give us back our CP/HP/ISO in champ rewards. Keep the Mighty Tokens though, those are OK.

How's the song go? "Don't it always seem to go, that you don't know what you've got till it's gone?"

Thanks for proving that true once again. 
  • crackninja
    Options
    For those saying there must be more updates coming, this is as ice described it in the updates, so I see no reason to expect more.
  • BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    Options
    It feels like almost ever since they started feeders they made it clear that they didn't want veteran characters getting big pay days of 5-star covers from high-level feeders. Very rarely did they pick someone that a lot of folks would have at a high level, they would pick relatively newly released characters or unpopular characters. Then there was the infamous Discord chat where they felt they were giving out feeders "too frequently". Can't say it comes as a surprise that they changed the retroactive rewards for something much less generous. 
  • killahKlown
    killahKlown Posts: 579 Critical Contributor
    Options
    For those saying there must be more updates coming, this is as ice described it in the updates, so I see no reason to expect more.

they've reverted in the past based on mass uproar
  • Polares
    edited December 2019
    Options
    DarthDeVo said:

They're essentially colorless covers, a long-requested feature. I knew there were likely gonna be some  tradeoffs. 

When they were initially announced and implemented and some people immediately went negative, I was still waiting to see what the full picture would look like before weighing in. 

I realize there will likely still be updates to PvE and PvP placement/progression rewards to include shards. 

But if this update is any indication, just stop. Please stop the bleeding. Go back to bonus heroes. With each update, it seems better and better in hindsight and comparison. Give us back our CP/HP/ISO in champ rewards. Keep the Mighty Tokens though, those are OK.

How's the song go? "Don't it always seem to go, that you don't know what you've got till it's gone?"

This is a fricking disaster! I don't remember something like this in 6 years!

I was also having a wait and see attitude with the replacement of BH with Shards, but it is now crystal clear what they wanted. Sell those shard offers for HP and money. And or course they have removed HP from all tiers, so now you need to buy HP for money,

And on top of that they have screwed the release of the new Feeders! In one day they have "robbed" me of like 10 covers or more for the new feeders! This is just nuts.
  • Vhailorx
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Polares said:
    DarthDeVo said:

I was also having a wait and see with the replacement of BH with Shards, but it is now crystal clear what they wanted. Sell those shard offers for HP and money. And or course they have removed HP from all tiers, so now you need to buy HP for money,

And on top of that they have screwed the release of the new Feeders! In one day they have "robbed" me of like 10 covers or more for the new feeders! This is just nuts.
    The first run Galactus was this bad (in rounds 7 and 8 and he was a certain team wipe in 3 turns). 

And Boss rush was definitely this bad. 

But neither of those mistakes had the breadth of impact of this system. 
  • crackninja
    Options

Changing their minds could happen, but just saying this was not a mistake or staggered payout
  • killahKlown
    Options

Changing their minds could happen, but just saying this was not a mistake or staggered payout

agreed...we have received all that they planned to give out
  • Vhailorx
    edited December 2019
    Options
    It feels like almost ever since they started feeders they made it clear that they didn't want veteran characters getting big pay days of 5-star covers from high-level feeders. Very rarely did they pick someone that a lot of folks would have at a high level, they would pick relatively newly released characters or unpopular characters. Then there was the infamous Discord chat where they felt they were giving out feeders "too frequently". Can't say it comes as a surprise that they changed the retroactive rewards for something much less generous. 
    This is definitely a true reflection of how demi/d3 feel.  But I never understood why.  In the most extreme scenario, the old system meant giving out 6x 5* covers to those players with level 360+ 4* champs. 

But how many players have level 360+ 4*s without spending?  And how many of them would have spent more, but for a windfall of 6x 5* covers? That seems like a vanishingly small population, but demi always acted like it was a critical concern.  I feel like I am missing something.

Six champ levels just don't seem like that big a deal for those players with dozens of 5* champs.  I know I use my 450 okoye a whole lot more than 455 SS.
  • Polares
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Vhailorx said:
    Polares said:
    DarthDeVo said:

I was also having a wait and see with the replacement of BH with Shards, but it is now crystal clear what they wanted. Sell those shard offers for HP and money. And or course they have removed HP from all tiers, so now you need to buy HP for money,

The first run Galactus was this bad (in rounds 7 and 8 and he was a certain team wipe in 3 turns). 

And Boss rush was definitely this bad. 

But neither of those mistakes had the breadth of impact of this system. 
    These were just a few events going horribly wrong, which was obviously bad at the time, but this is WAY worse, way way worse.

Feeders have been added all the time to the game, and we ALWAYS got the missing covers retroactively. This is Devs just changing the rules for the worse. Today I lost like 15 5 covers. but this change has way bigger implications for the future and will force people to buy HP as it is not going to be possible to get enough HP with champion rewards as it used to be. They have just changed the economy of the game of the game completely and for the worse. This is a clear anti-player movement as I have not seen in this game ever.

Like this is a big deal. Like really big deal!
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Being shortchanged in this manner wouldn't have even been as bad if shards were generic per tier level, at least then people could actually focus them onto characters they actually want rather than the situation no where you have dozens of characters with a smattering of shards that need to be micromanaged for them not to be utterly useless, while the game ui is totally unsuited for such a purpose with no indicators beyond tagged characters and a full cover available.
  • killahKlown
    Options
    Vhailorx said:
    This is definitely a true reflection of how demi/d3 feel.  But I never understood why.  In the most extreme scenario, the old system meant giving out 6x 5* covers to those players with level 360+ 4* champs. 

But how many players have level 360+ 4*s without spending?  And how many of them would have spent more, but for a windfall of 6x 5* covers? That seems like a vanishingly small population, but demi always acted like it was a critical concern.  I feel like I am missing something.

Six champ levels just don't seem like that big a deal for those players with dozens of 5* champs.  I know I use my 450 okoye a whole lot more than 455 SS.
    I only spend on VIP..and have many maxed 4s