R192: Champion Rewards Updates

Options

Comments

• jp1
    jp1 Posts: 1,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Does it amount to free stuff though? Seems like I lost quite a bit compared with the minimal gains. Guess the money I spent on the resources that are now devalued equals “free” somehow. Nice.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    JHawkInc said:
    What was received was not what was expected, and they knew it was going to happen, and deliberately danced around the issue instead of letting us know in advance.

I got a great big delightful heap of rewards, but it still feels disappointing because it does not match what they led me to expect. And while I'll be honest that I only really cared about the 5-star rewards, the surprisingly tiny amount of other rewards by comparison had me curious that they'd only rolled out part of the rewards until I saw comments indicating otherwise.

Surprise surprise, the root of the issue is communication. This whole thing could have been greatly alleviated with communication.
    I don't think communication was the problem.  IceIX did a decent job presenting complicated facts.  And while the comms were late, that is totally normal for MPQ. 

The problem was that the changes had to be this complex to accomplish Demi's clear goals of reigning in champ rewards and limiting retroactive rewards, while also being something that could be hyped for players.  That's why they did all these feeders at once.  They were hoping that a big chunk of rewards all at once would obscure that, using the established system, there should have been many many more rewards.  And that's why the shards were split out amongst multiple champ rewards (to overwrite some existing CP/HP rewards) rather than just going on 1:1 over covers/LTs.
  • Momo988
    Momo988 Posts: 15 Just Dropped In
    Options
    What’s clear is that the new feeders were treated the same as existing feeders. If that’s as intended, then it’s not what was communicated. If it’s a mistake, it would be helpful to know if it’s being fixed. Whether it is a or b would be a helpful clarification from The team. 
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

You have to understand that in the real world businesses have KPIs, shareholders to appease, and licenses to maintain (Disney/Marvel). 
    The value of customer goodwill is highly underestimated though, the simple reality is that handing out the "full" amount of retroactive rewards, matching the precedent they had set for every single feeder change in the past wouldn't be breaking the bank, but it would have eased the doubts and complaints that people have had with the resource reductions in this change.

Instead of taking that one-off hit that would have been negligible to them, they have needlessly alienated their longer term players, who realistically are going to have a larger proportion of paying customers within their midst than newer players, which seems a particularly unwise given their switch to this hp-heavier method of releasing new 5* characters. 
  • granne
    granne Posts: 852 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Momo988 said:
    What’s clear is that the new feeders were treated the same as existing feeders. If that’s as intended, then it’s not what was communicated. If it’s a mistake, it would be helpful to know if it’s being fixed. Whether it is a or b would be a helpful clarification from The team. 
    Exactly. I have no problem with the idea of not receiving shards if you've already received covers (especially since some of us will have received LTs as well as covers). It's the 20% of expected shards on new feeders that bothers me. If it was intended, it might just be the push I need to spend my time on something else.
  • pezse
    pezse Posts: 8 Just Dropped In
    edited December 2019
    Options
    It's a mess. I've got 100 shards for lvl 302 X Prof,  350 for lvl 299 Thor and 2*100 for lvl 295 Nightcrawler. Seems devs don't understand the system neither.
  • Bubba3210
    Bubba3210 Posts: 244 Tile Toppler
    Options
    What a mess. I’m out of words.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,556 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    For some reason, I thought all of the shards would land on my targeted heroes, making targeted heroes a little more viable since it was such a cluster when it was released. This noise is just a way to cover-up the fact that they were taking rewards away.

Unless this leads to something else, they just lost my VIP dollars. 
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    This is why I never feel bad when I rate the game low. 
  • statnut
    statnut Posts: 131 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I don't understand why I got shards for some five-star characters from champion rewards, but not four-star character shards from other champion rewards, such as Colossus or Ragnarok, who got new primary four stars. Feels all over the place.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,292 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yeah, this was a flaming dumpster fire....too bad, didn't have to be.  Late communication was part of the problem but really just the way it was done seems to make no logical sense.
  • MrEd95
    MrEd95 Posts: 280 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I guess the only thing to be done now is wait and see if our complaints are listened to. Not sure if and when that will be, but there isn’t anything we can do about it for now until Ice or someone else replies to us
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,659 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I got 100 shards for Moon Knight and I am really not quite sure why. 
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,185 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Your Sentry must be approaching some previously un-earned reward.