New Feature - Saved Covers *Updated (6/19/18)

Comments

• Smart80
    Smart80 Posts: 748 Critical Contributor
    Lets show hands guys, who all here needed more than 5 swaps to cover a single latest legend?
  • Markot
    Markot Posts: 84 Match Maker
    This feature would be great for me if it was just slightly adjusted:
    1:1 ratio for latest legends
    3:1 ratio for classic legends
    5:1 ratio for 2*,3*,4*

For 2-4* we have a way to get all colors by playing good (i.e. obtaining them as rewards). For 5* we need only use random generator which isn't allways fair. Now to fully cover 5* will be 13-45 covers based on your luck (45 is in the rare case you pull just one color all time, but it may happen).

I keep track of all my legendary tokens pulls since May 2016. I know that I used exchange service for 17 covers. None of my 5* is above 458, many are 450-452. With 5:1 ratio some of them  won't be max covered now.

I'm playing 1597 days at quite high level (top 20 or better at cl9 PVE, top 3 PVE alliance). My personal main goal is to collect and champ all heroes. I have already problem to champ few older 5*. When, due to bad luck, I will be not able to champ new ones before they leave latest I will very probably quit this game. It's already hard to pull 13 covers with those 5% odds. 17, 21, 25, ... covers to champ 5* is simply too much. 
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,836 Chairperson of the Boards

I wrote this last year: https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/60718/the-new-feature-we-really-wanted

I still do not understand why they couldn't simply just use the already existing Power Shift system. It's been used to downgrade, so why not make it also upgrade unused covers?

• xavierixeq
    xavierixeq Posts: 27 Just Dropped In
    edited June 2018
    I am not sure if everyone in the USA and beyond just heard my yelp of happiness.  This was my number one issue, losing covers. I am not so happy that it takes five covers, was hoping for 2 -3, but I will take it. 4* hit me the worse so i can only imagine how I would feel in 5* land. I will take this as a late birthday gift lol or maybe early Christmas.. 
    @Brigby Thank you thank you thank you!!! to everyone there. 

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    Oh this feature is so rad; would really have saved my bacon at all tiers of play. Looking at you, Nick Fury ,Spider-Woman, Kraven, and especially Bagman...
  • y4747
    y4747 Posts: 160 Tile Toppler
    edited June 2018
    Hadronic said:
    Also, we're overestimating how often we'll have to make that exchange, More often than not, the extra covers will just become champ rewards when we finally get to 13. 
    Correct, in fact since the Exchange Rate and the Size of the Storage are linked. Lowering the exchange rate means that you are inevitably forced to make the exchange sooner and more frequently. In the long term this actually leads to more waste.

So for everyone out there saying the exchange rate should be 3:1, I present to you this plot.

If anything the exchange rate (size of the storage bank) is way too low. Lets get some 10:1 exchanges.

@Hadronic you assume the storage capacity must be identical to exchange ratio. how would this graph look like for storage 5? there could be a programming issue with having storage > rate, i guess, but that's not necessarily true. i also second @MarkersMake in that 'wasted covers' isn't the only metric we should be looking at, but also 'total covers needed to champ'. i would like a champ two months earlier even if it cost me a couple of champ levels later on.
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    y4747 said:
    overall, i think this is a step in the right direction - targets players' most stinging bad emotional response from the game, imo.

that being said, i have clicked like on every post here asking for a tiered exchange ratio, and there have been a few. it's really a matter of time scale - for example, classic 5*s would require 733 pulls to get 5 covers; on average. that's close to a year of game time, if you don't spend much. that's just too long to build towards a single 5* cover.

i am all for 1:1 on latest, 1:2 on calssics, 3 for 4*, 4 for 3*, 5 for 2*, as has been suggested.
    Unless they plan to significantly increase the availability of 5* covers, they seriously need to do a sliding scale of some sort with this feature, otherwise all it will do for most players at that stage of their roster would be to marginally decrease their iso total due to them having multiple classic 5*s with 1 or 2 covers each just sitting there.

Even if they didn't go as far as 1:1 on latest and the ratio for all 5*s was 2 for 1 it would be a huge QoL boost to this new feature.
  • Kolence
    Kolence Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    Smart80 said:
    Lets show hands guys, who all here needed more than 5 swaps to cover a single latest legend?
    That's not the same. For a single character you could've had at most 8 swaps before champing (13/0/0).
    Say you had pulled for a latest 0/4/9 or 1/3/9 or 2/2/9 (or some permutation). That's only 4 swaps, and you'd be able to champ it and respec as you like, already.
    But now in that situation, you'd have a 9 cover character with room for just one miss left in the bank before you'd have to gamble whether  to risk wasting covers pulling one by one or wasting by exchanging them.

I agree this is a positive change overall and in the long run. But in cases where a player was already unlucky with rng, this can make it even worse...

Also, this change should be very friendly with 4* feeders, as they give covers evenly in all colors but so slowly. 

Maybe increasing the number of feeders a little faster and increasing the overall bonus heroes rate for legendary stores or 4* characters can help both with dilution and severely bad rng that would lead to many wasted covers.
  • WEBGAS
    WEBGAS Posts: 474 Mover and Shaker
    5 unusable 5stars covers is a little to much for 1 missing cover.
    it should be:
    5 covers for 2 and 3 stars characters
    4 covers for a 4 stars character
    3 cover for a 5 stars character

Hope this will be emplemented soon

• broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2018
    broll said:
    So now there’s a reason to open Classics again. Also this is probably why dilution returned. 

All in in all a good change. I suggested this exact thing around the time I started two years ago. Thanks devs. 
    5:1 is good?   
    It's not great, but my goal won't be to use that.  I see it as you have now have a buffer of 4 unusable covers before you have ANY waste. 
    7/7/3 - No Waste. 
    9/4/4 - No Waste
    etc

Also technical each 5* cover is worth 20-25 CP and/or 2000 ISO.  Would you be willing to trade 100-125 CP or 10,000 ISO to get that 1 5* cover you need?  You probably would, that's better than any other deal we have to get 5*s (outside of the Latest swaps)

What does this mean?
    1.  Classics is no longer bad, in fact it's probably better in most cases.  With having that much room for failure getting any random 5* won't be bad, certainly not in the immediate.  This feature + 5* feeders + 250 CP H4H deals means you should easily be able to avoid ever doing 5:1 trade if you play smart while also finishing off older 5*s that previously seemed very unlikely.
    2,  You can now feel much freer to set you BH on who you want vs who RNG has made most attainable.
    3.  5* tier should open up a lot more.  Instead of it pretty much being guaranteed that baby 5* rosters have the same latest characters it will be much more of random spattering and there will be more variability in low level 5* PvP (high level probably won't change much because once you have all/most you'll still focus the characters the rule the current meta).
  • optimus2861
    optimus2861 Posts: 1,232 Chairperson of the Boards
    Is 5:1 steep? Yeah. But think about it this way.. you now need to draw 6 straight unusable covers for a character before 1 will go 'bad'. Otherwise you can just bank the 5 unusable covers until you finally get that last one you need, then BAM! 5 quick champ levels.

No griping here. Unconditional thumbs up :)
  • Felessa
    Felessa Posts: 161 Tile Toppler
    All I can say: is thank you!!!

My 2/3/9 Phoenix would have loved this feature... as my 2/4/8 Chavez, 1/7/6 Nightcrawler and many others... But now, 2/3/7 Kraven, 3/7/4 MEHulk and 2/6/3 Valkyrie can have some hope in not wasting covers anymore!

I always considered 5*s to be extremely difficult to get/cover/champion (something for the looong run), and even after almost 1400 days of playing, I still don't have a single one max-covered... and I'm OK with that! That's why I don't see the 5:1 conversion with surprise or anger.

I know this may no be the perfect solution for some players, but I think it's a good one for the entire community as a whole. Just my 2¢.
  • optimus2861
    optimus2861 Posts: 1,232 Chairperson of the Boards
    I sympathize but I am not a LL-only 5* champ player, nor do I ever plan to be one, so that's simply not a factor for me. If I were to take a little darker view, those of you in that land had to know that they weren't going to keep doing 1:1 customer support 5* cover swaps forever. It was a band-aid and eventually the hammer was going to drop, and probably, as in typical freemium game ways, do so in a way to be a little (or a lot) unfriendly to the player.

The house always wins.
  • T_REZ5000
    T_REZ5000 Posts: 147 Tile Toppler
    edited June 2018
    Felessa said:

My 2/3/9 Phoenix would have loved this feature... as my 2/4/8 Chavez, 1/7/6 Nightcrawler and many others... But now, 2/3/7 Kraven, 3/7/4 MEHulk and 2/6/3 Valkyrie can have some hope in not wasting covers anymore!

I always considered 5*s to be extremely difficult to get/cover/champion (something for the looong run), and even after almost 1400 days of playing, I still don't have a single one max-covered... and I'm OK with that! That's why I don't see the 5:1 conversion with surprise or anger.

I know this may no be the perfect solution for some players, but I think it's a good one for the entire community as a whole. Just my 2¢.
    You know what would have helped your chavez, Kraven, mehulk, and Valkyrie way more than this system?  The vaulting system for 4*s that D3 just got rid of.  

Have fun trying to complete them now with the dilution they reintroduced.
  • n25philly
    n25philly Posts: 426 Mover and Shaker
    No saving 1* covers?  No deal! lol just kidding, I love this and will be making a purchase today purely as a thank you
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,578 Chairperson of the Boards
    1:1 swap for latest was a temporary service out of goodwill. It was never part of the game. It is something outside of the norm. The norm is you would selling your unusable 5* for 2000 iso. So, it's a great step forward as a whole for all tiers of players.
    Yeah but the goodwill is a fix to the unfairness of gettung useless 5*s which are entirly dominated by RNG and are already super rare as it is.

Bringing in a system within the game to fix it is great! Making it so I need 5 of an ultra rare thing in order to get one of an ultra rare thing isn't a step forward. It feels like another route to monetise a problem they created.

There are ways of fixing this without treating your customers like wallets on legs.
    It seems obvious that the "goodwill" got spread too thin. 30% too thin apparently.

And whilst it sucks for high tier players, there are also a bunch of us poor saps that will never even get to do a cover swap! Consigned to the Yesteryear thread. So at least you guys had 2.5 years or so.
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,651 Chairperson of the Boards
    T_REZ5000 said:
    Felessa said:

You know what would have helped your chavez, Kraven, mehulk, and Valkyrie way more than this system?  The vaulting system for 4*s that D3 just got rid of.  

Have fun trying to complete them now with the dilution they reintroduced.
    3 of my last 4 pulls have been 4* black panther. Ring still happens.