New Feature - Saved Covers *Updated (6/19/18)

Options

Comments

• maguirenumber6
    maguirenumber6 Posts: 457 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Do the saved covers have an expiry date, like normal covers waiting "on the vine"?
  • jackstar0
    jackstar0 Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    @Brigby what was the dev's thought process in not allowing us to bank covers for a character at 13 covers but not champed?

I ask because the main bottleneck in this game is ISO and its not always possible to get a 4* or 5* champed to save the cover, especially if you have 2-3 different 4s with a cover on the vine. You're guaranteed to lose one in that situation. This system could have been perfect to alleviate that problem and allow us to champ 2-3 4s withoutosing any of the covers. 
    While I don't have the iso problem anymore, this is a great point. I hope that characters with 13 covers can still save covers, otherwise it becomes a trick of trying to save covers and leave some on the vine as long as possible.

Though reading things, I get the impression that if you already have 5 covers saved and get the 13th, those 5 will wait there while you save up iso to champ.

But it seems possible that the save feature won't allow someone with 0-4 covers to save additional covers pre-champing... but maybe it will?
  • Player1575
    Player1575 Posts: 253 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Brigby already said it won't work earlier. I mainly ask because I still have about a dozen 4*s unchamped, and in the past I've had to waste covers for some of my 4s because I'd pull 3 tokens over the span of a day or two and end up getting a cover of 3 different 4s I already have at 13 covers. Obviously I'm not going to get 1M iso in 14 days, so now I have to decide which to champ and which to sell.

This system could have alleviated that problem completely, but for some reason it can't be used with a character already at 13 covers. 
  • killerkoala
    killerkoala Posts: 1,185 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    instead of programing this why not code colorless covers

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Because this is targeted at players who have cover wastage due to imperfect distribution, rather than players who have perfect cover distribution but have cover wastage due to lack of iso-8. I believe one of the Devs already mentioned their targeted segments.

Oh, great. Now I’m going to pull Red cover 9 for my 5/3/1 America Chavez even *more* easily.
    Nothing to announce right this moment, but that sort of situation is something we are directly looking at in our latest design rounds.

As for colourless covers, the devs mentioned in the past that the whole code need to be rewritten and it would take at least six months.

• smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Brigby already said it won't work earlier. I mainly ask because I still have about a dozen 4*s unchamped, and in the past I've had to waste covers for some of my 4s because I'd pull 3 tokens over the span of a day or two and end up getting a cover of 3 different 4s I already have at 13 covers. Obviously I'm not going to get 1M iso in 14 days, so now I have to decide which to champ and which to sell.

This system could have alleviated that problem completely, but for some reason it can't be used with a character already at 13 covers. 
    Not can't, won't. They didn't want to code it that way, so they didn't. Simple as that, they still want the iso crunch that may entice people to buy iso to keep covers from expiring.
  • Ptahhotep
    Ptahhotep Posts: 416 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    If I have a character at, say, 5/5/2 and have both a useable and a not useable cover on the vine will I be able to save the not useable  cover first, before applying the useable cover, or will the useable cover make the character fully covered and prevent saving?
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Ptahhotep said:
    If I have a character at, say, 5/5/2 and have both a useable and a not useable cover on the vine will I be able to save the not useable  cover first, before applying the useable cover, or will the useable cover make the character fully covered and prevent saving?
    Good question.

Similar question.  If I hit 5 saved and I have 5/5/2 am I forced to trade or can I choose to roll the dice on saving those 5 instead of saving them?
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    Thanos said:
    I'm surprised nobody asked this but how long can you save the covers for?  Also, 5 to 1 is complete garbage, disappointing but expected i suppose.
    I took it to read that you keep them until either a) you champ then, in which they convert into champ levels or b) you trade the five covers in for one cover in a color you can use.

Correct me if I am wrong Brigby?
    You're correct! Saved Covers do not expire, once they've been Saved. The two scenarios you mentioned are the only ways of consuming them.
    wymtime said:
    Brigby if I have 2 covers expiring on Monday will there be a way to convert them into saved covers compared to them expiring and getting iso?
    Apologies, but unless the R155 build is updated prior to your covers expiring, then I don't see any way to save them for the Saved Covers feature
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    IceIX said:
    talleman said:
    Will this mean no more Hero for Hire offer?
    There are no current plans to change the HfH offer, system.

Do the saved covers have an expiry date, like normal covers waiting "on the vine"?
    No, they stay saved forever (or at least, till used)

Ptahhotep said:
    Save the unusable cover first, then Train with the usable. Once you hit 13 powers, the Save option for that character becomes unavailable.
    Isn’t it a little weird that you can only save covers on a fully-cover s character some of th time? Seems like more effort than it’s worth to prevent people from banking 5 covers on fully-covered characters -some- of the time. 

Now it it seems like the “correct” thing to do is get a character to 12/13, then bank 4-5 covers, and then finally fully cover them.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2018
    Options
    IceIX said:
    talleman said:
    Will this mean no more Hero for Hire offer?
    There are no current plans to change the HfH offer, system.

No, they stay saved forever (or at least, till used)

Ptahhotep said:
    Save the unusable cover first, then Train with the usable. Once you hit 13 powers, the Save option for that character becomes unavailable.
    Isn’t it a little weird that you can only save covers on a fully-cover s character some of th time? Seems like more effort than it’s worth to prevent people from banking 5 covers on fully-covered characters -some- of the time. 

Now it it seems like the “correct” thing to do is get a character to 12/13, then bank 4-5 covers, and then finally fully cover them.
    It's not some of the time.  If you don't apply the 13th cover, then it's not 13 covered.  If you throw away 5 covers that would get you to 13 for some reason the game doesn't consider that 13 covered, it only works if you apply them.

It's the same (but reverse) as if you have 2 covers on the vine for a 12 covered, 1 usable and 1 not.  The unusable cover can't be consider a champ level until you apply the usable (and champ the character).  This is the reverse where you can save the unusable until you use the usable.
  • Jaedenkaal
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Yeah, but for example, the fully-covered (not-champed) characters I already have.

What I mean is, you can only have saved covers on a 13/13 character if they got there before. Once they’re fully covered, you can’t add to the stored covers. That last part seems like a needless restriction to me.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Options
    IceIX said:

The system is designed to ameliorate poor luck in covering characters, not to provide a sort of Champion bank. That portion of the feature is more of an added bonus, since we didn't want you to just lose those covers if you picked up that last color while you stocked 5 otherwise.
    Yeah I understand the purpose of the feature, but in execution it just seems like a strange distinction to make. I mean, it’s only 5 covers, and you can do it anyways if you want to. (For characters who aren’t fully covered yet)
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,602 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Man, so much outrage over a 5:1 trade that, honestly, I don't think I'd ever use.

If this system were retroactive for 5*s, I'd save every wasted 5* cover I've ever pulled, and wouldn't have enough Save covers to even consider a trade.

Coincidentally, I know a new player who's in a position to Save a couple 2*s when this feature comes out, and he's excited for it.

But no, the 5:1 trade (that you won't even need a significant amount of the time thanks to the Save cover feature) is evil, and it's totally valid to insult the devs for improving the game for the entire playerbase (including the grumpy Gary's who hate the trade rate). You guys are ridiculous.
  • Pantherfan1973
    Pantherfan1973 Posts: 7 Just Dropped In
    Options
    You can't see me but I'm doing my happy dance.  Looking forward to implementation. 
  • KC_Hammer
    KC_Hammer Posts: 84 Match Maker
    Options
    Personally I love this change. Though I wish it had come out a week earlier cause I just had to sell a handful of 4* and 5* covers. It sucks that some people are unhappy about it but it seems like a good change for most of the player base.