New Feature - Saved Covers *Updated (6/19/18)

Options

Comments

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Actually there are... you have to re-read the thread again. There's no "objectively bad"  there are a lot of "subjectively bad". Regardless of whether it's subjectively or objectively bad, it falls under "bad".  It is said that there is a "better" system than Saved Covers. 

This feature is good for players of all tiers except for players who are used to 1:1 swap. Maybe, the devs shouldn't be that nice in the first place by offering cover swap service.
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,602 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    JHawkInc said:

But no, the 5:1 trade (that you won't even need a significant amount of the time thanks to the Save cover feature) is evil, and it's totally valid to insult the devs for improving the game for the entire playerbase (including the grumpy Gary's who hate the trade rate). You guys are ridiculous.
    You certainly won this round of the argument against the non-existent people you're talking about.  

I read this whole thread, not once did I see anyone arguing that this feature was evil or even objectively bad.  Comparatively bad when compared to 1:1 LL swaps?  Sure.  
    So you just skipped over the posts calling it a huge negative, or awful game design, or saying that veterans were getting screwed over, claiming the devs are monetizing a problem instead of fixing it, the number of reasonable posts being flagged as "abuse" for seemingly no other reason than they disagreed with the people that hate this change?

Because those are the posts I'm talking about. You can scroll back a few pages and find them pretty easy. Using the word "evil" is poetic license on my part, but the sentiment is there, it's not some non-existent thing I fabricated because I was bored.
  • BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I see why people are complaining now about the loss of Customer Service Swaps. Rather than just exchange 1 cover for a different color than the maxed out one, you now have to save 4 more before you can exchange it for 1 level of something else. That especially sucks for 5s, cause what are the odds that you are gonna draw 4 more of the exact same color......like period. Unless you have a massive hoard, that's not gonna happen before the character rotates out of Latest 5s, and then good luck getting that character again period once they move into Classics.  

I still appreciate the benefits for the lower tiers however. I for example no longer have to worry about "useless" 3/4-star cover draws, as the Bonus Hero odds at least help in your favor there. The switch to full pack dilution really hurts that as well unfortunately for 4s, but we'd still be worse off at the end of the day without this new feature. 

• McThunderpants
    McThunderpants Posts: 59 Match Maker
    Options
    IceIX said:
    Isn’t it a little weird that you can only save covers on a fully-cover s character some of th time? Seems like more effort than it’s worth to prevent people from banking 5 covers on fully-covered characters -some- of the time. 

Now it it seems like the “correct” thing to do is get a character to 12/13, then bank 4-5 covers, and then finally fully cover them.
    The system is designed to ameliorate poor luck in covering characters, not to provide a sort of Champion bank. That portion of the feature is more of an added bonus, since we didn't want you to just lose those covers if you picked up that last color while you stocked 5 otherwise.
    I don’t know. It feels like the push is to now keep your characters under leveled until you accumulate the requisite iso to minimize loss, as opposed to going with a full 13 covers to maximize the characters use until  Champable. Under leveling characters is like hopping into the DeLorean and going back in time with Doc Brown. Maybe I am getting this all wrong.
  • McThunderpants
    McThunderpants Posts: 59 Match Maker
    Options
    Looking at it now, I guess being able to save some covers is better than saving none. It just feels like a kick in the face for those that we able to progress correctly and were iso dry.
  • Smart80
    Smart80 Posts: 748 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Kolence said:
    Smart80 said:
    Lets show hands guys, who all here needed more than 5 swaps to cover a single latest legend?
    That's not the same. For a single character you could've had at most 8 swaps before champing (13/0/0).
    Say you had pulled for a latest 0/4/9 or 1/3/9 or 2/2/9 (or some permutation). That's only 4 swaps, and you'd be able to champ it and respec as you like, already.
    But now in that situation, you'd have a 9 cover character with room for just one miss left in the bank before you'd have to gamble whether  to risk wasting covers pulling one by one or wasting by exchanging them.

I agree this is a positive change overall and in the long run. But in cases where a player was already unlucky with rng, this can make it even worse...

Also, this change should be very friendly with 4* feeders, as they give covers evenly in all colors but so slowly. 

Maybe increasing the number of feeders a little faster and increasing the overall bonus heroes rate for legendary stores or 4* characters can help both with dilution and severely bad rng that would lead to many wasted covers.
    I know its not entirely the same, but just providing a little different perspective than all the “nooooooooo, its the end of the world, we need 5 times the covers and we will never cover a new toon again” vibe in this topic...
    But it isnt that far off either. Might take a week or two longer to cover, but you will also get the extra time now too. Might even give some extra time to gather enough iso, if you really want to see the positive side, if you make sure you save up as many as possible before having to add 13th cover...

Probably been a while since anybody really read a swap e-mail reply, but this was coming for long time and they are providing decent alternative, which isnt only for 5* players, but for every tier.

Extra feeders is always welcome! 2 feeders for 1 5* would be pretty amazing..

Anyway, im f2p non hoarding player and once a 5* leaves latest, they usually around level 460.. im just amusing myself here with all the big dogs complaining about things that will most likely never be any issue, especially for those that champ a new 5* within 2 weeks from release.... :-)
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    JHawkInc said:

reasonable posts being flagged as "abuse" for seemingly no other reason than they disagreed 
    This is just.....beautiful.  Made my day, really.

I went back through 5 pages of replies and only saw ONE negative post.  The rest were a mix of "this is great" and "this is great except for the 5*s".  Maybe I didn't go back far enough.
  • jtmagee
    jtmagee Posts: 158 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Do the covers take up a roster spot?
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,314 Site Admin
    Options
    jtmagee said:
    Do the covers take up a roster spot?
    No, they are Saved from your queue directly into the character that has already been rostered.
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,602 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    JHawkInc said:

reasonable posts being flagged as "abuse" for seemingly no other reason than they disagreed 

I went back through 5 pages of replies and only saw ONE negative post.  The rest were a mix of "this is great" and "this is great except for the 5*s".  Maybe I didn't go back far enough.
    Or, like I said, you skipped over them, since the 5 examples I gave came from the previous 3 pages. Those weren't just theoretical examples of negativity, those were things I pulled directly from posts on pages 7+. I didn't quote individual posts in an effort to not call out and antagonize individual users, but I can do so if you're still having trouble finding the negativity yourself. (also, there is an entire second thread with the same type of negativity, if you'd like more examples)
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    *Please keep all comments civil and on the topic of the Saved Covers feature. Thank you!
  • T_REZ5000
    T_REZ5000 Posts: 148 Tile Toppler
    edited June 2018
    Options
    JHawkInc said:
    JHawkInc said:

Or, like I said, you skipped over them, since the 5 examples I gave came from the previous 3 pages. Those weren't just theoretical examples of negativity, those were things I pulled directly from posts on pages 7+. I didn't quote individual posts in an effort to not call out and antagonize individual users, but I can do so if you're still having trouble finding the negativity yourself. (also, there is an entire second thread with the same type of negativity, if you'd like more examples)
    JHawkInc said:

But no, the 5:1 trade (that you won't even need a significant amount of the time thanks to the Save cover feature) is evil, and it's totally valid to insult the devs for improving the game for the entire playerbase (including the grumpy Gary's who hate the trade rate). You guys are ridiculous.
    You certainly won this round of the argument against the non-existent people you're talking about.  

I read this whole thread, not once did I see anyone arguing that this feature was evil or even objectively bad.  Comparatively bad when compared to 1:1 LL swaps?  Sure.  
    He never said there was zero negativity.  All negativity I’ve seen is tied to this being a major downgrade for covering 5*s through LL (the main path to transitioning into the 5* tier).

Your hoard needs to be more than 30% bigger with this change.

edit:  Bringing back full on 4* dilution as well as increasing the number of pulls to fully cover LL 5*s has sapped my will to continue playing this game.  Best of luck to those who are sticking with this mess.
  • Wumpushunter
    Wumpushunter Posts: 627 Critical Contributor
    Options
    5 for 1 is steep but I understand the reasoning. You did good on this new feature.

• Yepyep
    Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    edited June 2018
    Options
    It seems ungenerous, to me, to complain about this particular change in policy. It is only a good thing, however implemented. As a general matter, we all liked the game prior to this change and this substantially improves what has always been a rock in the shoe...

Great job, d3. Much appreciated!

EDITED to say: it is a bummer that 5* swap policy will be terminated; they are so rare. Maybe something else will come along to make them a little easier to acquire (like lower the preposterous 720 cp price to buy one). But I don't think that this new policy will be so dilutive that the swap should be ended. In 631 days playing I only just this week needed to request my first 5* swap.
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It will be interesting to see how this interacts with the (undocumented) "complete a character" Heroes for Hire offers.

If you've got a character at 12 covers and pull an unusable one, presumably you won't get the offer if you apply it as a saved cover.  So if you want one of those offers it is probably best to leave the unusable cover in the queue for a while in the hopes of getting the H4H offer.

I guess it is good if you've got multiple unusable covers in your queue: if you want to tilt the chances towards a particular H4H offer, you can apply all the others as saved covers.