The New Feature we really wanted

Punisher5784
Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
edited March 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
I was away on vacation when Bonus Heroes was implemented which is why you did not hear my feedback on it. Many players already expressed their opinions about Bonus Heroes so there’s no need for me to add to it, however if you’re interested I added my thoughts at the bottom of this post under the spoiler. The point of this post is to bring forth the attention of the feature a majority of us have been seeking.. a way to avoid the dreaded 6th cover of an ability.

After learning about how Bonus Heroes would work, I wanted to ensure I could cover my MoonKnight and Kate Bishop before they are removed from tokens. I opened about 40 LTs. Disappointingly I pulled 3 Spider-woman black (5/5/2); 2 MoonKnight black (5/4/3); 2 Kate black (2/5/1); and 3 Captain Marvel black (5/5/2 – BUT I champed Peggy to give me an LT that yielded a Green cover.. phew!).. weird they all happen to be Black but the point is I am stuck with 7 (almost 10) dups that I cannot use. Under the old system I likely would not have opened this many dups because the 4* pool was large. What is irritating about these dups is the fact that 4* Captain Marvel was my sole Bonus Hero and the 3 bonus covers were black. How exactly is the Bonus Hero system supposed to help when it yields covers of abilities already at 5? My older 4*s: Ice-Man, Thing, X-23, PunMax, Deadpool, Ghostrider, etc. are close to fully covered (9-11 covers) but they have an ability at 5. I am afraid to waste my Bonus Hero on them because I could potentially receive a 6th cover. Now I have to hope and pray the covers I need will become obtainable in PVE/PVP progression one day. A majority of our complaints for the past 3 years is the unforgiving 6th cover and instead of seeing a system that helps with it, we instead receive a system that grants us more 6th covers!

This can be alleviated by implementing a Colorless system but unfortunately the devs cannot figure out a way to do this since the recent “tests” with Chulk and Howard yielded covers players already have at 5. However, another approach could be to use the existing Power Shift system. It currently allows us to select an ability to downgrade when we already have 13 covers but they can expand on it to allow us to move the 6th cover to different ability. For example, when we receive the 6th cover, the Power Shift pop-up should ask us where they can apply the dup cover. This would eliminate so many complaints with this game’s RNG system! I made a mock Power Shift of how it would work below.

What are your thoughts on this? Let’s discuss the system we really wanted and needed for 2017.

Untitled_1.jpg

My thoughts on Bonus Heroes:
First and foremost, I am disappointed that we barely received a notice of this change. Although I was the player that “spoiled” this feature by posting a picture, there was no reason to immediately make the change. Fortunately it did not affect me as I had opened my hoard prior to the release and many of my older 4* should be able to complete their Crash of the Titans, but for the players that had a huge hoard was likely affected because now they cannot finish covering their older 4*s. How was that fair? There are systems in place that require a specific 4*: DDQ’s Behemoth Burrito and Crash of the Titans but most importantly the 4* Essential in PVE. How are new players supposed to progress if they have even less of a chance now to earn the older 4*s? If I did not have all the 4*’s, I likely would have retired (again!). Vaulting is the worst aspect of Bonus Heroes. I understand their intentions of shortening the pool to allow us to cover new characters faster but I do not understand why the new 4*’s could not be under the Latest tokens and the older 4*’s under Classics. That makes the most sense. They could at least allow you to choose which 4*’s you want in your tokens. It is even more annoying that the 2* droprate did not decrease in Heroics and the 5* droprate did not increase in LTs, despite this change. We’re sick of 2*’s and we want 5*’s.. plain and simple. I don’t expect you to give them away but this change is not helpful. Right now Bonus Heroes is basically an RNG system within an RNG system.

My other worry is that everyone will have the same Champed 4*’s now. Pretty soon PVP will be overrun but champed Peggys, Medusas, and Captain Marvels. Although I was able to happily champ my Peggy, I busted my butt trying to earn her covers for the past 6 months, now everyone will be able to easily champ her. How do I know this will happen? Because I just pulled 6 Captain Marvel covers to champ her.. quickest 4* I ever champed. The challenge of PVP is having a champed 4* that very few players have, especially when boosted, now it’s going to be the same opponents over-and-over again. I thought this was something the devs wanted to avoid?! I completely understand why many players feel this nerfed championing of older characters. What is the point when you'll barely ever earn additional covers for them and can simply continue to grow your 1-3 new character champs. My Captain Marvel is 272.. she will be in tokens for quite sometime. I am curious how the devs will address this but I can imagine they will eventually nerf Peggy since everyone will use her.

These are my thoughts on Bonus Heroes off the top of my head. Feel free to comment below but I would prefer to keep this discussion on a new system to address the 6th cover. Thanks everyone.