New Feature - Saved Covers *Updated (6/19/18)

Options

Comments

• gmtosca
    gmtosca Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    So if you have 5r/0b/5y, then you get 2 r and 1 y -- you can't save both r and y, right?  You'll have to choose between r and y covers to save, right?
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    gmtosca said:
    So if you have 5r/0b/5y, then you get 2 r and 1 y -- you can't save both r and y, right?  You'll have to choose between r and y covers to save, right?
    I don't think they're saying that. Pretty sure the bank lets you store unusable covers, so in your example anything that wasn't blue.

I might be wrong, but if I am that's a damn silly way of doing it. Only allowing us to bank 5 of a single colour and nothing else.
  • DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,192 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Not to be negative on such a positive announcement, but dilution makes the chances of pulling 5 in a single colored cover, especially when it comes to a classic 5 star, near impossible or it will take years to accomplish for non-whale players. 
  • LifeofAgony
    LifeofAgony Posts: 690 Critical Contributor
    Options
    This is also would seemingly put to bed the notion of us ever getting colorless covers.  It’s an interesting solution but is still not a perfect fix.  There will still be cover waste I foresee.
  • Hadronic
    Hadronic Posts: 338 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Hadronic said:
    If anyone is wondering what the odds of actually getting 5 wasted covers before you finish the character, I calculated all that months ago.

It's small

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Jx4p2YF0GeVqzT_OvlMjawp-JlLEfV_FLsvfokhG_Oc/edit#gid=46011808
    Please see my 8/1/7 IM46.  The only blue from H4H that I bought ready for a feeder. Others have had the same thing at a 4* level. 
    Small, not impossible. You should expect a character to waste 5 covers 5.1% of the time.

• jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Thinking about this more, I've got a number of characters sitting at 13 covers but unchamped.  This means I could pull up to five more covers for each of those characters without feeling the iso crunch to level them and save the covers: those champ levels will be waiting for me when I get the iso.

Maybe this will just mean that 18 covers becomes the new anxiety point, but at this point it seems like a win.
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Hadronic said:
    Hadronic said:
    If anyone is wondering what the odds of actually getting 5 wasted covers before you finish the character, I calculated all that months ago.

It's small

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Jx4p2YF0GeVqzT_OvlMjawp-JlLEfV_FLsvfokhG_Oc/edit#gid=46011808
    Please see my 8/1/7 IM46.  The only blue from H4H that I bought ready for a feeder. Others have had the same thing at a 4* level. 
    Small, not impossible. You should expect a character to waste 5 covers 5.1% of the time.

I get it and I love the math you put out there, but between my IM46, PHX when she was first released and my Old Cap, I have had the same issue with these 3.  
  • Player1575
    Player1575 Posts: 253 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    jamesh said:
    Thinking about this more, I've got a number of characters sitting at 13 covers but unchamped.  This means I could pull up to five more covers for each of those characters without feeling the iso crunch to level them and save the covers: those champ levels will be waiting for me when I get the iso.

Maybe this will just mean that 18 covers becomes the new anxiety point, but at this point it seems like a win.
    Wrong. You can only save unusable covers. If your character is at 13 covers then nothing is considered "unusable" since you can champ the character and use the covers.
  • justsing
    justsing Posts: 507 Critical Contributor
    Options
    rixmith said:
    I always thought having Customer Support doing all those swap seemed very expensive. And this seems to solve a number of problems at multiple tiers. But it does take something very valuable away from those of us who are trying to keep up with champing the new 5* releases. 

My proposal: Go with the saved covers as implemented except if it is for a character in Latest Legends, and then have the exchange rate be 1:1.

This relieves the burden from Customer Support, makes things better for 2*, 3*, 4* and 5* Classics and doesn't detract anything from the experience of players trying to keep up with Latests. Everybody wins!
    If this were the case, I'd have zero complaints. Please consider implementing this.
  • Felonius
    Felonius Posts: 289 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    fmftint said:
    Forgive me if it's been asked but,  why not just make a system that DOESN'T GIVE UNUSABLE REWARDS? 

Why the save and trade 5 cover dog and pony show
    ^^ This right here.  Oh so much THIS!! ^^

Seriously, you can make all the required programming tech behind saving and converting covers, but why not just better make it so the system checks to see if I've already got 5 covers in a given color and "re-rolls" for one of the other two and/or a system that provides covers with no color until applied?

Sigh.

But since that wasn't done, and we now have the Save Covers system, I guess thanks?  I mean, I like the idea that I'm significantly less likely to waste covers now, so that's good.  The five-to-one conversion ratio though?  Especially at 4 and 5 (!!!) star?  Ouch!  That's costly!

Also, obligatory, complaint about "Man, why couldn't I have got this X time ago and not have wasted so many X covers."  Heh.

Thanks @Brigby for hanging around and answering questions.  Please add my concerns to the feedback about the 5-to-1 conversion "price" being too high.  I like the idea another player had about a scaling trade in (where 2* were 5-to-1, but 5* were only 2-to-1).
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,837 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2018
    Options
    @Brigby

Thanks for the news and answering questions! I noticed that it states you can only save covers for characters with less than 13 covers. Typically I have extra covers for characters with 13 because I don't have the ISO. I'm assuming I can't store those cover BUT can I roster 1 cover then store the rest? 

For instance, if I had Elektra at 13 covers, unchamped, and pulled 5 covers, can I roster 1 and store the 4? By rostering 1 cover I still have an uncovered character. I'll gladly waste 1 cover so I can save ISO to champ them
  • McThunderpants
    McThunderpants Posts: 59 Match Maker
    Options
    Same question as Punisher5784. Does the ability to save 5 covers apply to characters that already have 13 covers? Will that mean those can be saved and just converted into championed levels once I take that character to 270?  @Brigby, can you advise?
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Thanks for the news and answering questions! I noticed that it states you can only save covers for characters with less than 13 covers. Typically I have extra covers for characters with 13 because I don't have the ISO. I'm assuming I can't store those cover BUT can I roster 1 cover then store the rest? 

For instance, if I had Elektra at 13 covers, unchamped, and pulled 5 covers, can I roster 1 and store the 4? By rostering 1 cover I still have an uncovered character. I'll gladly waste 1 cover so I can save ISO to champ them
    You can only begin saving covers if the unusable cover is for an ability with 5 already in it, so that unfortunately wouldn't work for the 1 cover second Elektra.:smile:

(Provided I read that question correctly. I'm a bit tired today :D)
  • pfarewell
    pfarewell Posts: 53 Match Maker
    Options
    They dropped the ball again. Why not make covers switchable with the expenditure of hero or command points at a reasonable rate.  It's easy and could still produce income for d3/demiurge. 5:1 ratio for 5* covers? It seems like it's the same level of bad as spending 720 cp for a single cover. 
  • McThunderpants
    McThunderpants Posts: 59 Match Maker
    Options
    So if I have a 4* Captain Marvel at 5/3/5 at level 180 and I pull 3 black covers, I can’t save them and then apply them as champion levels once I fully level the character at a later date (which could potentially be 15 days later due to lack of iso)? Or can I do this if I pull yellow covers when she is still under leveled since I will only have 3 yellow covers. @Brigby, can you clarify?
  • Pr0spect0r
    Pr0spect0r Posts: 291 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    So if I have a 4* Captain Marvel at 5/3/5 at level 180 and I pull 3 black covers, I can’t save them and then apply them as champion levels once I fully level the character at a later date (which could potentially be 15 days later due to lack of iso)? Or can I do this if I pull yellow covers when she is still under leveled since I will only have 3 yellow covers. @Brigby, can you clarify?
    nope cant do
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,837 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Brigby said:

You can only begin saving covers if the unusable cover is for an ability with 5 already in it, so that unfortunately wouldn't work for the 1 cover second Elektra.:smile:

(Provided I read that question correctly. I'm a bit tired today :D)
    Dam.. darn! Yes, you read it correctly. Thanks for clarifying. I was hoping for a solution to my lack of iso. Maybe next thing the devs can review is the lack of ISO rewards in boss events. It's killing us.