New Feature - Saved Covers *Updated (6/19/18)

Options

Comments

• jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    jamesh said:
    Thinking about this more, I've got a number of characters sitting at 13 covers but unchamped.  This means I could pull up to five more covers for each of those characters without feeling the iso crunch to level them and save the covers: those champ levels will be waiting for me when I get the iso.

Maybe this will just mean that 18 covers becomes the new anxiety point, but at this point it seems like a win.
    Wrong. You can only save unusable covers. If your character is at 13 covers then nothing is considered "unusable" since you can champ the character and use the covers.
    Okay, so it's not going to work 100%.  But for my Winter Soldier sitting at 5/5/3, I'd be able to save purple and blue covers but not red covers.  So for the character there's better than even odds that I can save a cover without champing him.

It doesn't look quite so good for my 4/5/4 Kate Bishop.
  • Dartmaster01
    Dartmaster01 Posts: 634 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Since they devalued every 3* and above cover, shouldn't all cover cp prices drop by the same amount?

3*=4cp
    4*=24cp
    5*=144cp
  • McThunderpants
    McThunderpants Posts: 59 Match Maker
    Options
    So if I have a 4* Captain Marvel at 5/3/5 at level 180 and I pull 3 black covers, I can’t save them and then apply them as champion levels once I fully level the character at a later date (which could potentially be 15 days later due to lack of iso)? Or can I do this if I pull yellow covers when she is still under leveled since I will only have 3 yellow covers. @Brigby, can you clarify?
    nope cant do
    So, this new feature is completely useless for my 20 fully covered, but under leveled 4*s (due to the iso crunch). Hope this isn’t the case, because if it is, that bites.
  • Thanos
    Thanos Posts: 722 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I'm surprised nobody asked this but how long can you save the covers for?  Also, 5 to 1 is complete garbage, disappointing but expected i suppose.
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    @brigby Another suggestion to consider is derived from how Supports works: When converting 5 saved covers to 1 power level, give the player ISO-8 equivalent to selling 4 covers of the character (if the Developers are determined to keep a 5:1 ratio) or/and increase amount of XP gained when increasing a power rank when using saved covers to do it. Those would at least slightly mitigate the pain the player faces when throwing away 4 covers to gain 1 rank.
    Absolute worst case scenario is having a 5/0/0 character and requiring 40 covers of that color to get to 13 covers. An overall loss of 64,000 ISO from the excess covers burned by the 5:1 ratio. A 5/5/0 can potentially require 19 covers to get to 13/13, though 4 are automatically Champ levels, so that’s only 24,000 ISO lost from not selling the 12 excess of the 5:1 ratio (close to a day’s play worth).
  • sirwookieechris
    sirwookieechris Posts: 131 Tile Toppler
    Options
    It's a shame that you can't store for characters at 13/13. Would help with the iso issue. But then again maybe that would hurt sales of ISO (if anyone buys that.)

Overall, thanks for the change devs! I have a few 4* at 2/2/5 or something similar. Never bothered to BH them since I didn't want to risk getting covers I would need to toss. Now I can give them some attention and even if I get that unlucky cover I can store it for later.

Though it doesn't affect me (still in 4* land,) I can understand the pain of those used to LL exchanges. Maybe set it so the 5* in LL tokens have a 2 to 1 exchange? I'm no coder so not sure how that would work, but we already have "New" which prevents us from BH them. Maybe set it so that "New" also gives a better exchange rate?
  • sirwookieechris
    sirwookieechris Posts: 131 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Thanos said:
    I'm surprised nobody asked this but how long can you save the covers for?  Also, 5 to 1 is complete garbage, disappointing but expected i suppose.
    I took it to read that you keep them until either a) you champ then, in which they convert into champ levels or b) you trade the five covers in for one cover in a color you can use.

Correct me if I am wrong @Brigby?
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Unlevelled 5/5/3.  Get cover of colour 3, can't use it, can't save it, don't sell it.  Within 2 weeks of getting cover 1, get second cover of colour 3, can't use it, can't save it, don't sell it.  Within 2 weeks of getting cover 1, get third cover of colour 3, aha, can do something.  Make the character 4/4/5, now you can save the latest cover.

Keeping it 4/4/5 means you only have to waste one cover respeccing the character before you can save another.

So there is a kind of workaround, I guess, if you don't mind exchanging ISO for XP.

• wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    @Brigby if I have 2 covers expiring on Monday will there be a way to convert them into saved covers compared to them expiring and getting iso?
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    pfarewell said:
    They dropped the ball again. Why not make covers switchable with the expenditure of hero or command points at a reasonable rate.  It's easy and could still produce income for d3/demiurge. 5:1 ratio for 5* covers? It seems like it's the same level of bad as spending 720 cp for a single cover. 

With the continuing philosophy of "Every design choice must be a way to bilk money out of the consumer" they'd still have a 5* cover colour swap at a rate of, say, 360CP if we were lucky? Half is very generous considering recent choiced. Chances are it would be at least 450CP.

I doubt implimenting this system would help us any either.
  • killerkoala
    killerkoala Posts: 1,185 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    yeah, losing latest 5* covers exchanges; will really make exchanging 5* covers  5 to 1 even better for the whole community
  • killerkoala
    killerkoala Posts: 1,185 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    why is it 5 to 1 ratio change in swapping with cover saves instead of 1 to 1 ratio?  it's programed in, just change the number "5" to "1"
  • PenniesForEveryone
    PenniesForEveryone Posts: 294 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Great change, but why limit the number of saved covers to 5?  If I can add 100 champ levels, let me save up to 100 covers.  Forcing someone that's already got 5 saved covers to throw them away to be able to save a 6th is really kicking them after RNGesus has beaten them down.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,837 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Great change, but why limit the number of saved covers to 5?  If I can add 100 champ levels, let me save up to 100 covers.  Forcing someone that's already got 5 saved covers to throw them away to be able to save a 6th is really kicking them after RNGesus has beaten them down.

Because they don't want you to store covers until you have ISO. They are forcing you to convert the 5th cover to a needed cover so eventually you must champ them. Otherwise, yeah players would save 100 covers of a **** character like Elektra until they finally decide to champ them, which is less likely
  • relax
    relax Posts: 5 Just Dropped In
    Options
    design-wise, this is a wonderful and welcome change!

but i feel, even as a player who has yet to reach 5* land, that a 5:1 ratio is a bit steep for something that is already extremely rare -- especially considering you are removing the current (admittedly band-aid) 1:1 ratio of exchange. perhaps consider 4:1 or even 3:1?
  • skittledaddy
    skittledaddy Posts: 973 Critical Contributor
    Options
    All I have to say is "Thank You, this is awesome".
  • T_REZ5000
    T_REZ5000 Posts: 148 Tile Toppler
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Not a surprise that players in this forum can turn anything into a negative. 

Before this change:
    1) You will be selling unusable 4* covers for 1000 iso-8, 5* covers for 2000 iso-8 after 14 days.

2) You have to pay 120cp to get additional power that has been activated for a 4*, and 720cp for a 5*.

3) once in a while, you might be able to purchase 5* covers at either 250cp or 500cp.

After this change:
    1) You will be able to store up to 5 unusable covers indefinitely (If I interpret it correctly).

2) you will be able to convert 5 unusable covers into a usable one. This means that you can activate a power with zero cover, which can't be done with a 120cp or 720cp purchase of power.

3) Cost of completing a 13 covers 5* dropped significantly from 250/500/720 to 120/125cp for each cover that doesn't lead to a 13/13. Or the cost can be calculated as number of 6th cover and beyond that you have * 20 or 25cp.

4) 5 unusable covers cost not more than 125cp. We have not factored in unusable 4* covers from non-Legendary Comic Stores that are pulled. That extra 5cp would probably be an power activation cost for 4*
    You forgot the fact that there will be no more 1:1 CS swaps for LL.  That is a HUGE negative.

This would be great if they didn’t take that away.  Once again we have them taking one step forward two steps back.

Anyone know how big a LL horde will need to be now without CS swaps? 

Maybe @Hadronic knows?
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2018
    Options
    1:1 swap for latest was a temporary service out of goodwill. It was never part of the game. It is something outside of the norm. The norm is you would selling your unusable 5* for 2000 iso. So, it's a great step forward as a whole for all tiers of players.