Please nerf 5* Gambit

Options

Comments

• thedarkphoenix
    thedarkphoenix Posts: 557 Critical Contributor
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Gambit is def OP, he just needs his numbers adjusted imo and he'd be fine. 

You can't be self feeding have a low cost move and that same move be massive a nuke. 

edit: I'd cut his charge damage from ace's and eights in half and reduced the cost of it to 6 ap, I'd also make it so that stacked the deck only allows others to use moves if gambit is stunned, downed or airborne. Even if you don't have the cover stack the deck locks everyone but gambit out of using it if he's up.

• ThePunishers
    ThePunishers Posts: 50 Match Maker
    Options
    Ahhh how I love this post, anyone care to take their Gambit and go party in s2 with me.  I like that Gambit shakes things up.  Majority of my 4* are maxed level and whereas Gambit is annoying at times, it’s a fun challenge.  
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Gambit is def OP, he just needs his numbers adjusted imo and he'd be fine. 

You can't be self feeding have a low cost move and that same move be massive a nuke. 

edit: I'd cut his charge damage from ace's and eights in half and reduced the cost of it to 6 ap, I'd also make it so that stacked the deck only allows others to use moves if gambit is stunned, downed or airborne. Even if you don't have the cover stack the deck locks everyone but gambit out of using it if he's up.

It would be very easy to fix gambit. Just change his black to not automatically generate ap and his purple and red can stay as they are.
  • Jonny1Punch
    Jonny1Punch Posts: 434 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    1000% agree with Welcome Death but won’t quote since he wrote a tinykitty novel. I don’t personally have a maxed gambit but if I did..... I would definitely use him over my level 529 SS / 526 Phx ( my go-to 5s). I would also feel dirty for doing so as you could hand the game to a newborn and have them spam red to win any fight w/gamgod in a few turns.

The fact that a base level 450 gambit is not just outclassing the ENTIRE 5* tier but obliterating them with ease & doing so quickly is absurd. He behaves like what I would guess a 6* would. The choice here is simple: Either nerf gambit and tone him down significantly or give a huge quality of life boost to the rest of the 5* tier. Both may be needed regardless honestly.... Bannnnerrrrr. Elton john with robot tentacles guy. 

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 5,199 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Ahhh how I love this post, anyone care to take their Gambit and go party in s2 with me.  I like that Gambit shakes things up.  Majority of my 4* are maxed level and whereas Gambit is annoying at times, it’s a fun challenge.  
    Please do!  I'm pretty decent at beating him now, and we'd love to have you back.  It's been way too long.

I think everyone realizes by now that gambit is just too good on defense.  At this point, if you don't have him, you're a target for anyone who does, as well as all the other people who don't want to fight Gambit teams.  It feels like you're naked and the whole world can see you.

I'm glad to see this thread is still going, and hopefully the near unanimous agreement among vets will cause the developers to take some action.
  • Ghost
    Ghost Posts: 5 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Excuse me but where is the challenge in it? I thought the game's challenge was to match three or greater, but I might be wrong.
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Ragnarok, Spider-Man, Sentry, X-Force Wolverine...

What do they share in common?
  • thisone
    thisone Posts: 655 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Anon said:

The letter R. I guess no neRf for Gambit then.
  • ramoramo86
    ramoramo86 Posts: 89 Match Maker
    Options
    I am normally not in favor of nerfs but with Gambit its different 0 skill to play and free AP, maybe he doesn't need to be nerfed but fixed. I am able to beat gambolts without a problem but acting like Gambit is fine as is doesn't make any sense. 
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Anon said:

4ThoR, Classic StoRm, Loki TRickeRion, Ragneto Now, Old Man Rogaine ... clearly this pattern is undeniable, unbreakable, inevitable. 
    Something must be done. We must nerf the letter R.

• Beta-Ray Bill
    Beta-Ray Bill Posts: 124 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Anon said:
    Anon said:

4ThoR, Classic StoRm, Loki TRickeRion, Ragneto Now, Old Man Rogaine ... clearly this pattern is undeniable, unbreakable, inevitable. 
    Something must be done. We must nerf the letter R.

Clearly... the spacing is the real issue here. 
  • Hendross
    Hendross Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Anon said:

The letter 'N'
  • chill21genlee
    chill21genlee Posts: 61 Match Maker
    Options
    My eloquent solution to problems such as these is I just stopped playing pvp...the heartache and health pack suck is just not worth the measly rewards...the pve rewards are as good if not better and suck up plenty of my time without annoying pvp
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Magic said:
    I would assume that the nerfing folk would be also fine with minimal adjustments to the Panthos pair while the D3 whips around? Let's say Thanos black triggers only when somebody was killed with a power (not match damage) and BP would only kick back when he returns from his Invisibility (not Stun which doesn't make sense from flavor perspective anyway). Minor changes to both that would help balance the meta after your desired Gambit nerf.
    I would be fine with the Thanos/BP synergy getting broken up.  My preferred solution would be to remove the invisibility interaction entirely, and make BP's red counter-attack trigger only if he took enough damage to trigger his self-stun or if he was stunned or made airborne by an *enemy* skill.  Having allies be able to trigger his red attack by stunning him is too close to the exact reason that 3* Captain Marvel, 3* Hulk, and 4* Red Hulk reaction abilities don't trigger from ally-induced damage.

And I'd be totally fine with this getting announced hand-in-hand with a far more needed and drastic redesign to Gambit at both the 3* and 5* tiers.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

You'll also notice that 3 star gambit isn't really the topic of discussion like he was a few weeks ago...

and that's because his damage isn't insane and his utility isn't near as good.
    I used a 3* Gambit team (along with 3* Storm) in a Daredevil Lightning Round today to take down a team with champed 5* Thanos and 5* Spidey (Peter Parker).  None of my 3* champs were maxed out, and my Daredevil wasn't even as big as the enemy's.  3* Gambit is *also* a problem, not because of his damage output (although his purple is no slouch) but because of the constant AP feeding to his actives and the feeding from his red to random AP for the rest of the team.
  • Avalanche Kincaid
    Avalanche Kincaid Posts: 83 Match Maker
    Options
    both gambits probably going to be nerfed, but I have stopped using 3* gambattery in pvp since wins based pvp ended.  I still use him on occasion in pve for speed purposes but that's only a few nodes during the final grind  Easy fix for gambit:  cap black at 2 ap of each color for 5 covers.  increase red to 9 or 10 ap.  purple overwrite attack, strike, defend at 3, add countdowns at 4, all special at 5.
  • mr_X
    mr_X Posts: 375 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Name says it all really. Gambits free ap game breaking abilty is called "Stacked Deck" 

"To make arrangements that result in an unfair advantage over someone or something. (Likened to fixing a deck of playing cards in one's favor during a game.) "  

https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/stack+the+deck