Please nerf 5* Gambit

Options

Comments

• spiderpool
    spiderpool Posts: 76 Match Maker
    Options
    Sm0keyJ0e said:
    My opinion is his auto-AP generation is what’s broken about him. He’s a great and powerful toon without that component. Make his black do something else but as it is, generating 6ap every single turn is just lazy character design and completely unnecessary. With charged tiles out his red already generates 6ap plus deals 14k (at level 450) and only costs 7ap. That is a great power! But then throw in, Oh yeah, also passively generate 6 MORE ap... now it costs 7ap to deal 14k damage and generate 12ap. This is where he becomes broken.

And to that poncho guy, whoever he is, please come back to s5 with your baby Gambit and let’s dance.
    This.   Call me crazy but when I have 4* winter soldier,  nova,  and 3* punisher all boosted to around lvl 370 and a team of loaner punisher, 0/0/5 lvl 89 gambit and lvl 250 unboosted spider Gwen come within inches of beating my vastly more powerful team because of near infinite power firing every turn,  that seems pretty broken to me.   Every team I see in pvp lately is lvl 89 only black gambit with any red and or purple user.
  • TF1977
    TF1977 Posts: 17 Just Dropped In
    Options
    He’s way, way OP.

but if you want a way to cruise through pve without using health packs like you have a champed old school OML, he’s your guy. Saving me $
  • thedarkphoenix
    thedarkphoenix Posts: 557 Critical Contributor
    Options
    If they want to nerf him, they should make it so that his the only time people can use red/purple is when he's downed, stunned or airborne.

the 0/0/5 build is what people seem to be crying about.
  • TF1977
    TF1977 Posts: 17 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Overuse him, save your health packs - he’ll get the nerf when it hurts the bottomline.

probably already is...

I've played less since I can’t beat him on the regular, it’s not fun - why spend when he’s pushing players with him out in front by a lot (even more so for the cheap 2$ for 7CP “bug”).

I’ve been playing since 3* Thor was introduced and this is by far the worst OP character.

Fix it D3
  • Dartmaster01
    Dartmaster01 Posts: 634 Critical Contributor
    Options

Am I the only one that doesn't have a problem with Gambit? I don't even have one cover for the 5* and my 3* is champed, so no gambattery either. Sure, I lost several matches against him when he was boosted but unboosted, he's no harder than any other good 5* character to beat. I take just as much damage fighting him as BP or SS. And as far the gambattery teams go, if I see one, you will get attacked to no end. Thanos eats them for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I say, keep the snacks coming.

• madsalad
    madsalad Posts: 815 Critical Contributor
    Options
    He is totally OP but he's doing exactly what they want. Requiring you to heal your dudes every game. If you want to fight Gambit realize you are going to take HUGE damage. Even if you end up beating him, the only one that wins is D3.
  • nonnel1
    nonnel1 Posts: 28 Just Dropped In
    edited November 2017
    Options
    After reading this thread, I’ve come to the conclusion that I still like gambit.  And my thoughts on cat memes hasn’t changed either (though someone in here doesn’t like them cause they flagged my last post proclaiming love for both gambit and cat memes)
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Ragnarok, Spiderman, Sentry, X-Force....
  • Trojax2010
    Trojax2010 Posts: 34 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Dayv said:
    I've wondered the same thing: "how did this even make it off the whiteboard, let alone into production?"  Take away his black power completely and he'd still be a strong, usable character.

I thought the ...previewed version... of Gambit had his black only trigger on match 4's or higher.  Can't remember if it was the player or the opponent making match 4's that triggered it, but that would surely be one way to start balancing him. Maybe they made a last minute adjustment to Gambit to make him more appealing. 
  • Justice Jacks
    Justice Jacks Posts: 116 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Dayv said:

I've wondered the same thing: "how did this even make it off the whiteboard, let alone into production?"  Take away his black power completely and he'd still be a strong, usable character.

Gambit passive black: does nothing.  Solidly mid-tier design, desirable in the right team build.
    You can't be serious.  Without black he has the overwrite purple for 11AP and if you can protect all 4 of them (at 5 covers), they do a collective 20k damage (roughly, at 450).  His red, requires 14AP to do any damage (unless you limit yourself to partners that generate charged titles).  And does about 15k damage.  We already have a character like that and her name is Black Widow.

Her purple is 12AP and does around 12k at 450, removes 3 enemy tiles, and the AP for this power potentially decreases to 7AP.  Her red is 12AP and does about 16-28k if certain criteria are met.  Her black costs 10AP and does 14-24k depending on health and other criteria.

So if your argument that Gambit without black is solidly middle tier, I think that it's clear that isn't accurate as Black Widow has three high AP powers that actually hit harder than Gambit's does, and she has additional passive activity as well, and I don't think anyone would claim that she's a "strong, useable character."

As another data point, even with the perfect partner in BB, Gambit would be generating about 14k damage per red firing for 7AP at 450.  Spidey's red costs 7AP and does the same damage without the need to pair him with anyone.

In short, just ditching black would make Gambit largely unplayable as he'd be overshadowed by practically every other 5. 
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Dayv said:

Gambit passive black: does nothing.  Solidly mid-tier design, desirable in the right team build.
    You can't be serious.  Without black he has the overwrite purple for 11AP and if you can protect all 4 of them (at 5 covers), they do a collective 20k damage (roughly, at 450).  His red, requires 14AP to do any damage (unless you limit yourself to partners that generate charged titles).  And does about 15k damage.  We already have a character like that and her name is Black Widow.

Her purple is 12AP and does around 12k at 450, removes 3 enemy tiles, and the AP for this power potentially decreases to 7AP.  Her red is 12AP and does about 16-28k if certain criteria are met.  Her black costs 10AP and does 14-24k depending on health and other criteria.

So if your argument that Gambit without black is solidly middle tier, I think that it's clear that isn't accurate as Black Widow has three high AP powers that actually hit harder than Gambit's does, and she has additional passive activity as well, and I don't think anyone would claim that she's a "strong, useable character."

As another data point, even with the perfect partner in BB, Gambit would be generating about 14k damage per red firing for 7AP at 450.  Spidey's red costs 7AP and does the same damage without the need to pair him with anyone.

In short, just ditching black would make Gambit largely unplayable as he'd be overshadowed by practically every other 5. 
    He has the best enemy tile control in purple - 11 ap to overwrite 4 tiles and potentially do 20k dmg.

His red at 7 ap shakes the board marginally and generates 2 random ap on first cast, but subsequent casts generate 6 random ap and do 15k? dmg, and running him with any charge tile maker lets him do that right away. How is either of those powers bad?
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Jarvind said:
    Mine's at 4/4/4. Can we wait to nerf him until I've gotten to have some fun at least?
    Lucky you, a perfect distribution. Mine's at 251, likely another 5 in the lurch, another 5dupe, another 5 trapped in Classics, unfinished, after I draw another dozen reds in a row. :D
    I've got a thrilling 1/2/1 Gambit, and I'm totally ok with him being nerfed before he gets any bigger.

3* Gambit could use a nerf, too.  His damage output is lower (purple is still huge for the tier), but his AP generation is completely intact, and his special tile overwriting is not as broad but still significant.  I've farmed retaliations with him in Lightning Rounds, and even with less than 20 champ levels on him he's the centerpiece of any number of 2*/3* mixed team builds that destroy 4* teams easily and predictably.
  • CharlieCroker
    CharlieCroker Posts: 254 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Dayv said:

The first argument I've seen against a nerf which isn't just saying I've got him and want to exploit him and destroy anyone who doesnt over and over again.

But looking specifically at his black, as Dayv has pointed out it doesn't necessarily need to be taken away, just mitigated.  But imagine how OP it would be if we gave an equivalent AP generating passive to other 5*s with two strong actives:

Dr Strange - blue and yellow firing every 3/5 turns;
    Phoenix - anyone with Gambat knows how destructive this can be;
    Surfer - continuously spamming red/blue;
    Widow - pick any 2/3 of her powers every 4 turns;
    Doc Oc - ok maybe a step too far.

Lots of solutions have been suggested, good and otherwise.  But for me leaving him as he is is game breaking.  And whilst the next 5* may counter him, it won't do much good if I'm unable to draw covers for him either.
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I have champed Gambit/DD/SMPP and have run loads of tests as my first champs in Slice 1. First with just Gambit due to the over whelming about of rubbish I had read about Gambit on his own took down my champed Panthos in 4 turns. I ran him to 600 multiple times and watched the hits come in.

I got absolutely booted back into the 200's twice as expected. I looked at the teams beating me and no one had any issues, even lost to a peggy nova team. So I then brought a second 5* to the party. I keep climbing past my float point and watch the hits come in.

I am using Gambit and DD. For all the talk of over power, very very few people are losing against me. 1 in 20. Yet there is a clear pattern of who doesn't hit me that often, Panthos. I am sure that is what have the crying it about, the current meta that people poured so much into has moved. I am losing 100% of the time to players with more than a champed Panthos. I'd be more than happy for the devs to look at my data and back that up. Against Panthos I have won 100% of the time, yet I'm still not seeing Panthos teams fail against my team because I imagine they can make sure Panther is in front for the Gambit hits.

Then I hear about the Health pack use when running against Gambit teams, well it's not like my gambit team is saving me a ton of packs. I still have to heal gambit and normally would the featured if I wasn't using a loaner. I'm not going to get away damage free against a bolt or strange either, I have been put on my knees multiple times by a Bolt team without then having Gambit. There's clearly multiple ways to bring a gambit team to it's knees, I see it in my hits but I do understand rostering those is a lot harder in 5* land, yet that's not a reason for a nerf. It didn't get bolt one or Thanos.

This game has power creep and always will, Peggy was insanely ahead of the game as was Carol when they were released. People cried blood trying to get those nerfed, but there was a bigger picture and I'm sure there is one here too.

5 black though, does get a skip from me.
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Dayv said:

The first argument I've seen against a nerf which isn't just saying I've got him and want to exploit him and destroy anyone who doesnt over and over again.

But looking specifically at his black, as Dayv has pointed out it doesn't necessarily need to be taken away, just mitigated.  But imagine how OP it would be if we gave an equivalent AP generating passive to other 5*s with two strong actives:

Dr Strange - blue and yellow firing every 3/5 turns;
    Phoenix - anyone with Gambat knows how destructive this can be;
    Surfer - continuously spamming red/blue;
    Widow - pick any 2/3 of her powers every 4 turns;
    Doc Oc - ok maybe a step too far.

Lots of solutions have been suggested, good and otherwise.  But for me leaving him as he is is game breaking.  And whilst the next 5* may counter him, it won't do much good if I'm unable to draw covers for him either.
    In fact Doc Ock would be brilliant with self ap generation. His black is decent, blue would be good if he had a free ap gen like gambit, it's just his green is pretty useless unless you bring Carol.

Personally I like the idea someone else had - make black an active ability. Either direct ap gen like im40/vulture/Kingpin or colour changing, or a power that creates charge tiles as a side effect like 4thor stun/starlord colour change so he doesn't need to double cast red or pair with bolt.