Please nerf 5* Gambit

Options
entrailbucket
entrailbucket Posts: 4,919 Chairperson of the Boards
I'm not sure how this French card dork managed to sneak past your QA, but he's *way* too good, to the point that he's basically breaking the game.  In the past there have been overpowered characters, but they're overpowered such that they're meta-dominating but not unbeatable.  Those characters got dealt with eventually, which was good.  Unfortunately this can't wait for "eventually."

I'm going out of my way to target Gambit players, because I don't like them, and I've gotten pretty decent at fighting him, but I'm still losing matches and spending health packs at a rate that is not acceptable.  I'm using fully maxed 4* at 370 and 5* at level 500+, and a level 450 Gambit blows them all away.  I can win consistently with trick teams or cheap stuns, but I realized today that I should not have to be doing this stuff to beat a level 450 5*.  Any other 5* character at 450 is cannon fodder at my level.

If your answer to this is "well, get your own Gambit," I don't want to, and why do I have to?  This game has 20something characters at the 5* level, people should not be able to win everything by collecting just one of them, and one of them should not be clearly better than all of the rest of them in every game mode.

I know nerfs are unpopular, and I know some people spent a lot of money or hoarded forever to get Gambit, but this is Xforce or Ragnarok all over again and it needs to be fixed before Gambit eats your entire game.

Comments

• JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,601 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    If your answer to this is "well, get your own Gambit," I don't want to, and why do I have to?  This game has 20something characters at the 5* level, people should not be able to win everything by collecting just one of them, and one of them should not be clearly better than all of the rest of them in every game mode.
    I had to read that paragraph like four times before I saw "Gambit" and not "Thanos."
  • CharlieCroker
    CharlieCroker Posts: 254 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I beat gambit all the time. Not an issue with me
    You have Gambit so not a big surprise you're able to beat him.

Have we learn nothing of asking for nerfs.

In a couple months gambit with be outclassed and they'll be  "they nerfed gambit to much buff him"
    Should never have been released so broken and whilst he may be outclassed/countered by another release (i) there's no guaranteed way to get that new release without buying a lot, and (ii) I don't want to have to wait months for PvP to be fun again.

And no they don't have a great record as far as nerfs go, but there have been enough viable suggestions on these forums on how to balance him without giving him the XFW treatment.
  • vinsensual
    vinsensual Posts: 458 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    babinro said:
    While I have much less experience facing off against Gambit as the likes of EntrailBucket and ViralCore...I know these players are serious endgame players so if they say something is unbalanced...its really worth looking into.

As for my experience I don't have a completed 5* Gambit and my win rates against them (the level 450 versions) are probably around 70%

70% might not sound all that bad but this is coming from a history of playing at 5* tier where win rates were closer to 95%.   Gambit represents a MASSIVE change in difficulty for anyone who cannot counter with their own Gambit.

As I understand it...once you get your own Gambit this turns into a bit of a Hood vs Hood mirror match of years past but trying to cover a 5* vs trying to cover a 3* is not remotely comparable.   Even then, if your character has almost no adequate counters even when they are just level 450 that's a problem.

I'm willing to assume the veteran end game players with maxed out championed 4*'s know what they are talking about here.   Please take this thread seriously and STRONGLY consider some changes to Gambit.
    So you're saying there was a 5* comp that gets wins 95% of the time?  Player use vs AI use is the biggest factor of course, but if Gambolt doesn't become the #1 comp, something is bound to usurp Panthos and what then would be the difference between meta dominating and unbeatable?

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,919 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    SmokeyJoe did a way better job of breaking this down than I did (almost a month ago!).  I missed that whole discussion because I don't post on the forum very much, and I was willing to wait out the huge new character buff before I decided that Gambit was too good.  +100 levels, he was definitely overpowered, but any 5* at level 550 is going to be a nightmare to fight.  The buff is now over and it's clear that Gambit is too good.

In this case I'd actually be super happy with a nerf directly into the ground (the Ragnarok treatment!) but that would be pretty unpopular and unfair.  Maybe cut the damage on his powers in half?  Honestly that's the amount of reduction that needs to happen to put this guy back on a par with the other 5*.
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,410 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    When a level 450 gambit is consistently blowing sway my level 525+ 5*s that is a huge issue.  I agree with the OP completely... gambit is simply breaking the game currently. He does way too much and far too easily with no drawbacks. This marks the 1st time in 1481 days that I’m actually onboard the nerf bandwagon wholeheartedly .
    Gambit by himself? I have a championed Gambit but my mmr is low enough that I don't see many 5* teams above 500. Even then, my gambit does go down to high level 4* teams fairly often. Basically any team with 2-3x 70-100k health is not a guaranteed win. Maybe if you bring black bolt (which I dont have and resorting to SS, thoress or rags when boosted) to feed charged tiles and added passive damage going, that may be the case. But on his own, with health below 60k, he does eat alot of damage and it takes 3-4 cast of red just to down a 70-100k health. Taking on 2-3 of them normally results in a dead gambit half way through. If my other 2 cannot finish the job, those high level 4-5* remaining eats my team. 
  • Jonny1Punch
    Jonny1Punch Posts: 434 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Pongie I wasn’t necessarily saying I am wiping to gambit teams or that I don’t have a decent strategy to take him out..... my point was that a base level gambit 450 and a team built around him significantly damages and / or defeats a an extremely high level 5* team that is mostly 70+ levels above him. This has been unheard of in the 5* tier that a character at base level can chew threw teams so big so effortlessly. It’s more of a testament to how broken and OP he is , not anything reflecting on my inability to match 3 properly lol.
  • robertbah
    robertbah Posts: 124 Tile Toppler
    Options
    He is OP from so many aspects. None of his power is wasted: the stupid AP generation, high DPS from red, crazy purple to negate everything. Sure, such an op character does bring you lots of revenue in a short term but it makes the game dull. He is broken in so many ways and this game will suffer from it sooner or later. I, myself, will try to get my own gambit. Sadly, I rather that he can be tuned down a bit. My guess is that they will just introduce someone new to counter his ap generation without touching this character at all.
  • nigelregal
    nigelregal Posts: 184 Tile Toppler
    Options
    When a level 450 gambit is consistently blowing sway my level 525+ 5*s that is a huge issue.  I agree with the OP completely... gambit is simply breaking the game currently. He does way too much and far too easily with no drawbacks. This marks the 1st time in 1481 days that I’m actually onboard the nerf bandwagon wholeheartedly .
    Can confirm, I have beaten J1P huge teams with my little gambit. I took some damage but it was an almost guaranteed win before going into it. 

IMO the only true counter to gambit if you do not have high level 5* is 0/0/5 3* gambit with spider gwen and hope you just stun lock him. It's the new winfinite of sorts. 

On defense I find gambit to be even more annoying because his passive triggers on turn 1 for AI but turn 2 for you so if you don't get a red match to start the AI will get red off first before you can. If no black bolt then this favours you but if anyone has a black bolt then you are guaranteed to take 14+k dmg.

• Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,547 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I don't take Gambit into PvP usually, but I was beating the 515 SCL 9 node with a non-boosted Gwen, 0/2/3 G5mbit, and an Iron M5n with only blue and yellow covers. My highest level character in that group was 360. I was winning easy perma-stun matches outclassed by 155 levels min and not even needing med packs afterwards.

He's broke. He's reeeally helpful, but he's broke.
  • jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2017
    Options
    my hoarding passed me over thanos, bolt and panther, so finally going in for gambit was a good idea. i can take on champed teams with all those guys. great equalizer.