Please nerf 5* Gambit

Comments

• CharlieCroker
    CharlieCroker Posts: 254 Mover and Shaker
    madoctor said:
    Milk Jugz said:
    To not admit Gambit is OP is being naive, I've beaten him about as much as I wipe to him (I'm probably less than 50/50 but I'll go with that thinking to make me feel better). I typically run my 463 DD with either 451 BB or 451 Thanos. I've taken down a 540 Parker/548 Miles team, but I struggle against 450-470 Gambits. I don't know what else needs to be said, HE IS OP!!!!
    You beat a team 100 levels higher than you using DD? Doesn't that make him OP?
    I've beaten a 550 Panthos with Daredevil/Gamora but the said 550 Panthos would destroy my team in 4/5 turns on offense.  A 450 Gambolt can easily defeat a much higher level team, but the difference is the much higher (non Gambit) team will have a much harder time retaliating against Gambolt than against any other niche combo out there.
  • Milk Jugz
    Milk Jugz Posts: 1,122 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2017
    madoctor said:
    Milk Jugz said:
    To not admit Gambit is OP is being naive, I've beaten him about as much as I wipe to him (I'm probably less than 50/50 but I'll go with that thinking to make me feel better). I typically run my 463 DD with either 451 BB or 451 Thanos. I've taken down a 540 Parker/548 Miles team, but I struggle against 450-470 Gambits. I don't know what else needs to be said, HE IS OP!!!!
    You beat a team 100 levels higher than you using DD? Doesn't that make him OP?
    It took good board control and 2 stings team-ups against the 540 Parker/458 Miles team. Sure stings can work against Gambit (and that's usually how I beat him), but board control means nothing, he's gonna get his no matter what you do.

Not to mention in any match not including Gambit the offensive side has the clear upper hand.
  • GibbletsGrabber
    GibbletsGrabber Posts: 25 Just Dropped In
    Does gambit red actually gains AP for charged tiles he destroys?

It seems so, but not sure yet
  • Milk Jugz
    Does gambit red actually gains AP for charged tiles he destroys?

It seems so, but not sure yet
    Yes he does
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,727 Chairperson of the Boards
    Milk Jugz said:
    I've taken down a 540 Parker/548 Miles team, but I struggle against 450-470 Gambits. I don't know what else needs to be said, HE IS OP!!!!
    548 Miles?  I am trying to figure this one out.  Mine stops at 370.  Boosted should top at 470?  Or am I uneducated?
  • thedarkphoenix
    thedarkphoenix Posts: 557 Critical Contributor
    Its mostly the same people in her saying the same thing over and over. Me included, I think gambit is no different than any other strong character before him in the bigger picture. 

I do think he's crazy good, but I don't think he's unbeatable or OP, I've dealt with OP characters in plenty of other games and gambit doesn't come close to this. 

Recently coming from 4 land to 5 land and having to deal with stupid carols and medusa and R&G that left your team on life support NO matter what you ran with NO chance of not taking heavy damage Gambit is just not that bad. I lost to those teams as much as i lose to gambit and I beat 5 star teams higher level with those teams much the same as a BB/gambit.

And even after that when trying to fight a blackbolt and having to try to kill him and match charge tiles I dont need to avoid a minimum of 5k damage at the start of each turn for free....yeah I can't really complain about gambit like that.

It sucks to get blown up quickly for a mistake or eventually just because the board isn't in your favor but that's been happening at every level of the game for awhile now unless you were already ahead of the curve.... Then maybe its something you didn't have to really experience recently.

If i can unsub this thread I will, because its actually getting sad now. 23 pages of going in circles trying to prove why a character is or isn't this or that.

Puzzle quest has never been balanced, its always been "have the best and better up the rest". You can rationalize it however you want, but strong teams and characters have dominated the game since its launch. And the only character that was almost unbeatable no matter if you boosted or not at one point was OML. And even then, if we had some of the characters we had now he would be fine.

4 land is still full of the same 4 or so best characters that>>>>>>>everything from almost 8 or 9 months ago.

But sure, gambit is killing the game, you all have never seen anything like this before. You can't compete at all because 5 games are just taking everything out of your pockets and mouths. You feel filthy for using 5 gambit, but you have too. LOL. 

:D
  • Milk Jugz
    bluewolf said:
    Milk Jugz said:
    I've taken down a 540 Parker/548 Miles team, but I struggle against 450-470 Gambits. I don't know what else needs to be said, HE IS OP!!!!
    548 Miles?  I am trying to figure this one out.  Mine stops at 370.  Boosted should top at 470?  Or am I uneducated?
    Mistype... It was 458... Apologies
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,727 Chairperson of the Boards
    Milk Jugz said:
    bluewolf said:
    Milk Jugz said:
    Mistype... It was 458... Apologies
    It’s ok. I saw a screenshot recently of a hacked level 800 Moonstone, so was just wondering....and then thought I misunderstood high level boosts.
  • LifeofAgony
    LifeofAgony Posts: 690 Critical Contributor
    “Recently coming from 4 land to 5 land and having to deal with stupid carols and medusa and R&G that left your team on life support NO matter what you ran with NO chance of not taking heavy damage Gambit is just not that bad. I lost to those teams as much as i lose to gambit and I beat 5 star teams higher level with those teams much the same as a BB/gambit.“

this is why you don’t understand what the meta of this game has looked like since 5s were introduced.  You’re a neophyte to 5* land and it’s cool you’ve seen OP toons in other games, but this is MPQ.  The vets in this thread (top tier players of 3+ years) are telling you he’s broken,  the devs have said they made him too strong,  Your arguing against it because you’ve had 1 whole week of 5* mmr; that doesn’t lend itself to being an expert on what the real landscape of top pvp is.

Sometimes you just happen to fall on the wrong side of the coin.  But espousing expertise of how the 5* game is when you’re just dipping your toe into the water (with the most OP toon) your argument loses a lot of its steam.
  • thedarkphoenix
    “Recently coming from 4 land to 5 land and having to deal with stupid carols and medusa and R&G that left your team on life support NO matter what you ran with NO chance of not taking heavy damage Gambit is just not that bad. I lost to those teams as much as i lose to gambit and I beat 5 star teams higher level with those teams much the same as a BB/gambit.“

this is why you don’t understand what the meta of this game has looked like since 5s were introduced.  You’re a neophyte to 5* land and it’s cool you’ve seen OP toons in other games, but this is MPQ.  The vets in this thread (top tier players of 3+ years) are telling you he’s broken,  the devs have said they made him too strong,  Your arguing against it because you’ve had 1 whole week of 5* mmr; that doesn’t lend itself to being an expert on what the real landscape of top pvp is.

Sometimes you just happen to fall on the wrong side of the coin.  But espousing expertise of how the 5* game is when you’re just dipping your toe into the water (with the most OP toon) your argument loses a lot of its steam.
    I've been in 5 land for awhile now, I've only recently been able to really compete in 5 land in the last 3 months or so is the fact of the matter because all 5's are not equal. What does a person that lucks up and gets a champed Banner/Cap/and Ironman do in pvp 5 land? Even GG, or BBSM, a widow or doc oct?  To the people who have characters like those in 5 land of pvp it has always been a headache and a struggle to compete. Gambit is just another notch on another very long list for them to deal with.

Top players on mpq= guys with best characters and the most time.

And one of my major points is that of course the "Top tier players" should all hate gambit. He levels the playing field a bit and not in there favor. Not only that he's super popular outside of being good. It sucks when you go from almost un challenge able to potentially beatable here and there. 

I didn't even have a champed gambit until the end of last week I got 7 covers in the span of about 2 weeks. So I was fighting gambits with my lil 5 stars teams and no gambit like everyone else. And I felt the same way then as I do now.

• Sm0keyJ0e
    Sm0keyJ0e Posts: 730 Critical Contributor
    If i can unsub this thread I will, because its actually getting sad now. 23 pages of going in circles trying to prove why a character is or isn't this or that.

Please do unsubscribe because you literally have no idea what you're talking about. What's sad is that there are 23 pages of long time players saying this toon is broken (and many other threads saying the same thing) and you can't wrap your brain around the possibility that he might, just might, not be good for the game. Most of the people complaining about hit him HAVE him.

But please, by all means, bring your baby Gambit to s5 and see how well you can compete there.

• fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Sm0keyJ0e said:

Please do unsubscribe because you literally have no idea what you're talking about. What's sad is that there are 23 pages of long time players saying this toon is broken (and many other threads saying the same thing) and you can't wrap your brain around the possibility that he might, just might, not be good for the game. Most of the people complaining about hit him HAVE him.

But please, by all means, bring your baby Gambit to s5 and see how well you can compete there.

No,  what's sad is many of these very same players are lining up to buy MULTIPLE starks on Amazon day
  • thedarkphoenix
    Sm0keyJ0e said:

lol I am a "long time player"  I've been around since loki was hot on the scene.

If you think this is about me having a gambit you are wrong, I JUST said I JUST got him leveled up and I think he's strong. 

But you know since he's so OP I'd hate to take him to S5 and just dominate with him. *rolls eyes* Because you know that's what OP characters do.

Once someone can show or provide some actual facts or reasons WHY he is bad for the game the I have no problem agreeing or saying I'm wrong.

As of no its a bunch of people just saying  he's bad for the game because he can make any team viable just about.  And he's annoying to beat

Yeah that's not enough for me.
    Sorry

• Sm0keyJ0e
    Sm0keyJ0e Posts: 730 Critical Contributor
    thedarkphoenix said:
    Once someone can show or provide some actual facts or reasons WHY he is bad for the game the I have no problem agreeing or saying I'm wrong.

It's this type of comment that shows you're not paying attention. It has been stated COUNTLESS times over the course of numerous threads why he's bad for the game and what makes him broken. If you don't care to read and just want to comment willy-nilly then of course you're going to have people calling you out.
  • Yoik
    Yoik Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker

The changes to Gambit have certainly slowed him down in my opinion. He is still more than handy tho and the Ap drain seems like an unnecessary add. I’m happy its there as I have a champed Gambit but in terms of balancing the toon I think it would have been better to not add this and you would have been close to a fix. What the end fix should be I don’t know but he is definitely slower now.

Pair him with Arch Angel and if the opposite team has more than 3 AP after 5 goes in any colour then they’ve had a god cascade which you can do nothing about.

• Avalanche Kincaid
    Avalanche Kincaid Posts: 83 Match Maker
    People still having problem beating Gambit after change?  I can understand if you are talking about bolt/gambit pair, but gambit by himself is so slow I doubt he his going to be able to get full damage on his red before you match the first charge tiles away.  The +2 drain probably was unnecessary, but win rate should be closer to 90% now.  Change it +1 drain or no drain he is fine.  Use Panthos if you don't know how to fight AP drain...when gambit about to fire red the second time with charge tiles move panther to front.