Please nerf 5* Gambit

Options

Comments

• Crnch73
    Crnch73 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Considering that gambit is my only champed 5... if he were legitimately broken, wouldn’t I be undefeated in pvp, never getting retal attacks against me, etc? I get hit plenty on defense and lose LOTS of points. I am not complaining about this, it’s the nature of the beast. I understand he is the strongest stand alone character, and he can be annoying to face... but if he were so drastically unfair, I would only be attacked and beaten by gambit teams, which is very much untrue. 
  • MaxxPowerz
    MaxxPowerz Posts: 276 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I kind of feel like MPQ likes releasing these game breaking characters because it encourages people to chase them with $$$
  • CharlieCroker
    CharlieCroker Posts: 254 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I kind of feel like MPQ likes releasing these game breaking characters because it encourages people to chase them with $$$
    But then they release relatively weak (in some instances trash) characters like Banner, Starlord, Doc Oc and pre-buff Cap.

I prefer to think that they don't fully test characters and have little to no idea how competitive PvP is played at the 5* tier.
  • LifeofAgony
    LifeofAgony Posts: 690 Critical Contributor
    Options

I prefer to think that they don't fully test characters and have little to no idea how competitive PvP is played at the 5* tier.
    All of this.  So much all of this.  My gut feeling is they had no clue how strong gambit would be pre-release.  Then the $$$ came rolling in.  So he remains busted.
  • ViralCore
    ViralCore Posts: 163 Tile Toppler
    Options
    With the release of Arch Angel, MeHulk, Nico, and Kraven, clearly the power creep is in full effect like a number people have said. #sarcasm

To repeat others, the recent change was a buff; they may have slowed him down but he is now more powerful.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Seems like they just nerfed his pull rates.  I'm 0 for 9 out of the last 5* pulls.  Just need 1 more to champ him... ugh.  I'll probably get the 13th and champ him on the day he's nerfed to oblivion.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    But then they release relatively weak (in some instances trash) characters like Banner, Starlord, Doc Oc and pre-buff Cap.

As they say over on the AV Club:

It can be two things.

Releasing 5* characters regularly might capture one segment's spending, while occasionally releasing one that is over-the-top, power-wise, captures another segment.  But they have to be careful not to alienate one group of spenders while chasing another.  In my case, they failed.  Gambit is a main reason I've quit playing like I used to, and continue to play a little less every day.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,506 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Right now there are two 5* tiers:

a) players with one or more 5* other than Gambit

b) players with Gambit

Players from A aren't really in the 5* tier anymore - no matter what team they field (yes, even Strange,) they are absolute prey to players form B.  Their teams are good against 4*, but any Gambit team will eat whatever they can field.

Sure, you can take on Gambit if you have your own Gambit (don't bring BB, gather red until your opponent's Gambit fires "Aces and Eights," unload on Gambit,) it's not even that hard, but if you don't have Gambit your game is easily 2-3 times as hard as someone with Gambit.

I got my Gambit two weeks ago, it's not like I'm not in Tier B, but he's seriously unbalanced.  I use half as many health packs in my climb as I used to, even when I fielded Surfer/Bolt (a team that self-heals.)  Gambit just destroys.
  • Milk Jugz
    Milk Jugz Posts: 1,122 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    While I still believe Gambit is broken and needs his auto ap generation taken away I will say since I champed Thor I use my Gambit less. My favorite Versus combo at the moment is Thor/DD. I, mostly, only use Gambit when I come across a Gambolt team. Thor/DD has very little trouble taking down Gambit when he is paired with anyone but Bolt. It gets trickier with Bolt involved. Also, Thor/DD is light on the health pack usage as long as you can keep Thor behind DD once he's 50% health. I've played multiple matches in a row without using a health pack using those 2 at 50% health.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,341 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2018
    Options
    It is not an accident that he is overpowered. It was the design intent.

Quoting from the rebalance announcement:

“Gambit was one of your most requested characters, and we want to make sure that he's as awesome as you remember him from your favorite Marvel comics. While we clearly overshot that goal originally, we believe that after these changes, both 3-Star and 5-Star Gambit remain strong characters.“
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I can go back through dev posts and find them talking about how awesome Doc Ock and Kraven are, too.  That's just hype, or alternatively actually supports my "accident" theory.

Ultimately it doesn't really matter if this is on purpose or by accident, although if you think this is part of some dastardly scheme to steal your money by releasing overpowered characters then ruining them, why are you still playing this game/spending money on it? 
  • John Wayne74
    John Wayne74 Posts: 71 Match Maker
    Options
    I have all 5*’s Champed except
    Daredevil - 4 covers
    Gambit - 10 covers
    Thor - 11 covers
    Archangel - 8 covers

pvp was broken before gambit in the sense it has grown stale.  But now I am utterly useless in pvp do to health pack consumption going against gambit without gambit myself.  I mainly use 3*’s then 4*’s from seeds just to have some enjoyment in it.  But I know it’s just me right?  I can’t read, so I obviously can’t see colors and match them either.  He’s not broken, I just completely forgot how to play once he’s hit the scene.  I’m sure that one day, I’ll get my game back on and figure out how to slide the one color tile to be in line with the other 2-4 like color tiles.  At least I hope so anyway.

Funny part is, I still do just fine in pve.  Must be a different screen in versus messing me up I suppose.
  • dadows
    dadows Posts: 59 Match Maker
    Options
    let's all hope we get nothing but bad and slow character releases from here on out. 
  • Kid_Dash
    Kid_Dash Posts: 6 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I can see how Gambit has become ubiquitous.  That's the same reason they nerfed OML.  BUT - I've seen characters be at the top of the meta get taken down a few pegs with new releases.  I remember when teen Jean was the premier 4*.  She's lost that title to the likes of Rocket and Groot, Captain Marvel, and Gamora. 

I suspect and hope that instead of nerfing Gambit, we'll see equally powerful 5s emerge and/or buffs to existing 5s.  I'd much rather see that than a nerf.  It's so boring when you've experienced how awesome a character is pre-nerf and then they get nerfed and you still have to play with them because of the meta.  I don't want Gambit to be nerfed and I hope D3 is not just listening to a possible vocal minority here.
  • CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    If they were to release a counter character, I'd expect a couple of months before there is a significant number of the counter character in play due to the number of hoards emptied for Gambit.
    As someone without Gambit champed, pvp is not fun right now, and I don't fancy several more months of this while desperately trying to cover a counter character.
    As for buffs, those most in need are the ones fewest people have champed, and are buried in Classics, so could take time for the meta to shift significantly enough to make a difference.
  • Crnch73
    Crnch73 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I think the true problem is not that gambit is too good, it’s that the rest of the characters fall short. He is fun to play with. But a nerf to him is much easier than designing a counter character or buffing other characters, so that’s why people call for the nerf. We just don’t trust the devs to get it right moving forward.

and very valid point that gambit is not a god killer like surfer... but what upsets me about that statement? That surfer is not as good as he should be. In theory, he and Phoenix should be probably the strongest characters in the game. They’re good but there’s no way gambit, Logan, maybe not even a scream from Bolt, should be able to easily dispatch them. So it just makes me more upset that other worldly characters aren’t stronger
  • Keirain1982
    Keirain1982 Posts: 48 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Crnch73 said:
    I think the true problem is not that gambit is too good, it’s that the rest of the characters fall short. He is fun to play with. But a nerf to him is much easier than designing a counter character or buffing other characters, so that’s why people call for the nerf. We just don’t trust the devs to get it right moving forward.

and very valid point that gambit is not a god killer like surfer... but what upsets me about that statement? That surfer is not as good as he should be. In theory, he and Phoenix should be probably the strongest characters in the game. They’re good but there’s no way gambit, Logan, maybe not even a scream from Bolt, should be able to easily dispatch them. So it just makes me more upset that other worldly characters aren’t stronger

Fully agree with this.

Characters worthy of 5* status:

Phoenix, Thanos, Silver Surfer, Black Bolt (at a push. His scream is supposed to be one of the most powerful weapons known to man if unleashed at full strength), Hulk (supposed to be the strongest there is)

All the others should be 4*, but I personally can't get my head around why Hawkeye and Black Widow were given 5* status. They're good, but they're not 5* good. But like it's already been mentioned, there's no realistic approach to the determination of 5* status.
  • thedarkphoenix
    thedarkphoenix Posts: 557 Critical Contributor
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Gambit really isn't the problem, a gambit team without blackbolt or anyone that can create charged tiles isn't really tough nor scary. Getting hit for  15k  possibly every 3 turn as opposed to 6 turns is a huge difference. With BB on the team, As soon as he gets 7 red its big damage and there is no way to stop having charges tiles out at turn 2.

So his "problem" is he just has AMAZING synergy with black bolt who also is really good and passively does something.

Together there is no way around it being the best duo you can literally plug anyone into that 3rd spot and be ok. ( which some might argue is a good thing)

So nerfing gambit (again) is a bit unfair as he just so happens to work really well with another character. nerfing synergy is never a good idea to me unless it literally is unstoppable/gaming ending or a team wipe

Once they add a 5 that passively deals/removes with charge tiles (and possibly gets a buff from dealing with it) gambit will be all but useless (well not really) as he'd  probably just go to a 5/3/5 build and be more support than a nuker.