Please nerf 5* Gambit

Options

Comments

• dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I just don't understand their thinking. 

3ap in red and purple would be +2ap boosts, +1all. That would cost you 44 iso+33hp* to set for your team. And Gambit gets that EVERY SINGLE TURN. 

*my math is probably off since I don't buy boosts, someone please check? 

Post "nerf," it's still 44iso worth per turn. 

Maybe they should just keep his powers as is and make him the first literally ptw character, who drains your iso and hp every turn to fuel his ap generation. 
  • Beta-Ray Bill
    Beta-Ray Bill Posts: 124 Tile Toppler
    Options
    You guys are still going about this? Let it go already. You can see the results of your constant arguing on the new update.

thank you
  • Sandmaker
    Sandmaker Posts: 208 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Sandmaker said:
    No it's not.....
    He's foolishly assuming gambits ap denial will work like shulk green. Hes in for disappointment. It wont hit 0s.
    You always talk a big game. How about a wager then? Loser stops posting on these forums. 
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Sandmaker said:
    No it's not.....
    He's foolishly assuming gambits ap denial will work like shulk green. Hes in for disappointment. It wont hit 0s.
    If it hit zero aps, then that will make it much less op.

but they have already made the changes such that ap drain will not target zero ap. 
  • LifeofAgony
    LifeofAgony Posts: 690 Critical Contributor
    Options
    And even if it happens to target 0 ap pool(which is suspect it will not), his red is still a huge AP generator.  Black wasn’t the only problem.

#GambitStillBroken
  • John Wayne74
    John Wayne74 Posts: 71 Match Maker
    Options
    Thought about it. Discussed it.  Considered it.  Realized it.

New hash tag

#pvpisdeadtome

And on my way to

#byebyempq
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    *Please keep all comments civil and do not attack other players. Thank you!
  • thedarkphoenix
    thedarkphoenix Posts: 557 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Clearly they don’t want to change the ap generation be it for there own creative reasons or because of other reasons.

it now takes gambit 8 turns to fire off his nuke provided no red is matched 7 if one is matched as compared to 6 turns 5 if a red is matched and there are no charged tiles on the board.

thats a big slow down, however the random destruction of ap can make it a pain to kill him quickly now but I think over all he’s still nerfed, his DPS is way down

he’s just more annoying on defense in pvp as if he wasn’t annoying already.

Hes “a lot” more worse of in pve

• Heartbreaksoup
    Heartbreaksoup Posts: 354 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Well, I'm quite unhappy.  This sentence makes my 5* Gambit (only one cover, black) useless to me: "Gambit's allies can not activate Red or Purple powers (even if Gambit doesn't have any power levels in his Red or Purple powers)."

I have been using Gambit to generate Purple for 2* Magneto, or for 3* Falcon or Scarlet Witch.  I have no attachment to the character (I've never read a comic with him) but I have enjoyed using him on most of my teams.  Perhaps the devs didn't like how players like me, principally 2* and 3*, have been (mis)using this rare 5* character (I only have three of them) but this has completely nerfed him for me and made the character totally unusable.
  • thedarkphoenix
    thedarkphoenix Posts: 557 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Brigby said:
    Will the 5* Gambit black at 4/5 covers target empty enemy AP pools as well?
    That's a good question! I'm afraid the development team is out of office at this hour, but I'll be sure to ask them tomorrow, once they're back in.
    Hi all!

My name's Casey Malone, I'm one of the designers on Marvel Puzzle Quest, and one of the people responsible for the Gambit design and the updates we've announced. I want to answer this question and clarify one thing about the changes to 5-Star Gambit's Stacked Deck power. 

First, to answer @RunningMan's question - no, Gambit will not target empty AP Pools, a random charged pool only. 

Second, reading this thread there seems to be a little confusion about how 5-Star Gambit's power levels up, and when you start destroying enemy AP. The ability always destroys enemy AP, and at Level 2, will begin to generate Red AP. 

Let me break it down for you: 

Level 1 - Gambit generates 1 Purple AP and destroys 1 Random enemy AP. 
    Level 2 - Gambit generates 1 Purple AP, 1 Red AP, and destroys 1 Random enemy AP. 
    Level 3 - Gambit generates 2 Purple AP, 1 Red AP, and destroys 1 Random enemy AP. 
    Level 4 - Gambit generates 2 Purple AP, 1 Red AP, and destroys 2 Random enemy AP. 
    Level 5 - Gambit generates 2 Purple AP, 2 Red AP, and destroys 2 Random enemy AP. 

I hope this clears that up, and lets you evaluate this change more easily. 

Thanks everyone for receiving this update with an open mind. I won't be able to monitor this thread and reply to questions directly going forward, but your feedback will for sure make it back to the rest of the development team quickly - your feedback was instrumental in this change, so we want to make sure we got it right. 

Thanks so much,

Casey Malone
    Game Designer

———-

so he’s  def nerfed. A under leveled gambit shouldn’t be anything to be feared at all now. A champed one will still be strong just not as dominant.

the ap destruction actually makes sense now.
  • killercool
    killercool Posts: 280 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Sandmaker said:
    Sandmaker said:
    No it's not.....
    You always talk a big game. How about a wager then? Loser stops posting on these forums. 
    Is this a cartoon?

1.  People taking this tack invariably lose, and welch.

2.  An unenforceable "wager" over something with no value, isn't much of a wager.

3.  The last time  I heard this phrase was in regards to the 1991 NFC Championship game. I didn't take his money, I won't expect you to create another forum account either.

4.  I only wager with corporations. It isn't fair for me to take a bet from a mortal.

5.  I've been decoding Demiese for many years now. They talk funny, but they talk funny in consistent ways.

PS — Oh look, a dev popped in to make explicit for those not fluent in Demiese. You're welcome!

thedarkphoenix said: ... so he’s  def nerfed. A under leveled gambit shouldn’t be anything to be feared at all now....
    Sweet jeebus, it's no cartoon, it's a farce :expressionless: 

You guys are still going about this? Let it go already. You can see the results ...
    Yep, gonna take a lot more yelling. Better get started!
    I lol'ed at this one.  Not often that you get vindication so quickly :)
  • xKOBALTx
    xKOBALTx Posts: 299 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Sandmaker said:
    Sandmaker said:
    No it's not.....
    Ouch...
  • Sandmaker
    Sandmaker Posts: 208 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Sandmaker said:
    Sandmaker said:
    No it's not.....
    Is this a cartoon?

Yep, as always. Good o'l' Aethetocyst. All talk, no substance.

Waiting until a Dev posts before he dares to respond to an internet wager. Laughably predictable at this point.   
  • mr_X
    mr_X Posts: 375 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Yup. Whoosh over development teams heads... The desire to see a rebalance was to un nerf the rest of the 5* tier and stop the game from degenerating in to MPQ Gambroken Quest.
  • Avalanche Kincaid
    Avalanche Kincaid Posts: 83 Match Maker
    Options
    I'm going to reserve judgement until next season but I like the change.  I've been using bolt with some other 5* (surfer,strange, thanos, gambit) for a long time and would skip gambit teams under 65 points because you just get to much damage to make it worth while.  Now gambolt should be able to take him down before 2nd red goes off.  Coulson Hawkeye now viable option if you want to farm some iso since his purple wont be charged for at least 5 turns.  Still powerful but more manageable (if you have a champed gambit).

I'd rather the development team try incremental nerfs instead of massive over nerf as they have done in the past.  I think there would of been more fallout from those that are just scratching the 5* tier with new champed gambits if they over did it.  Guess we'll see what happens next season, but for now I guess I can drop the rest of my hoard when Death hits the store, maybe I can get gambit over 490.
  • Avalanche Kincaid
    Avalanche Kincaid Posts: 83 Match Maker
    Options
    I do like using him, not going to lie, but I'm not going for top 5 in pvp so he makes life easier to get to progression as did any other power team in the past.  First buster sucked to fight without using Fist Buster, same with Jean Buster, and so on.  If you had "the team" in the past you kept using that team.  And it's not buff to those without champed Gambits.  Buffed to champed gambit?  Debatable since it slows down his killing speed.  I would say break even if you have him champed.  Slow but still deadly
  • ViralCore
    ViralCore Posts: 164 Tile Toppler
    Options
    To quote “Still powerful but more manageable (if you have a champed gambit).”

This is the fundamental pmroblem besides unconditional ap generation and destruction;  1 toon renders all other useless.  No champ gambit?  You’re no longer competive at the top end.  No thanks.  

Anyone calling this anything but a buff is just kidding themselves or is excited to continue to be able to use the most absurdly OP toon.  

Yup, this widens the gap even further for us with champed Gambits. We now have a class system in MPQ: the Haves and Have-Nots