Half way mark of the PVP season, how is it going for you?

Comments

• dkffiv
    dkffiv Posts: 1,039 Chairperson of the Boards
    No I hate the changes, but playing more PVP
    sh81 said:
    madsalad said:

This was me a while back.  3+ hours a day playing.  Competitive PVE player trying to make way in PVP as well.

Miserable.

Essentially reached a breaking point where I just sat out a couple of events.  And it was revalatory.  I think while you are into it, while its routine, while you feel obliged to play - you just dont realise the commitment you make and the sacrifice it demands of you.  

Sitting out, doing other real life things (some even productive!), not being scheduled to stare at a screen... It was wonderful. And, frankly, you realise its just not that important.

In come the PVE and PVP changes, and my objective now is progression in both - if I can be bothered.

So far I have.  Im finding on balance its less matches per day, and Im finding I play sporadically as I feel like it, and - most importantly (maybe?) I find its actually FUN.

Im enjoying PLAYING A GAME.  Its great.  

Perhaps this might work for you?
    Your comments are exactly why 60% of people polled hate these changes.  We used to be able to play casually and hit 1200+ within an hour, leaving placement rewards to whether we wanted to go hard or not.

The 4* you're clamoring over for progression reward is meaningless to us.  Only very specific 4* are usable and only if they are boosted - the one you get from progression is inconsequential compared to the number you get from opening packs.  The end reward for PvP has always been obtainable, it's a matter of learning how to use shields and boosts.

People who took a few months off and come back can no longer PvP unless they spend several thousand dollars trying to whale out Gambit.  An OML/Phoenix team will get hammered trying to land a t10 spot for CP but hey, at least they can get 1 more cover for Nick Fury.

In regards to your comments about several f2p players compensating for whales no longer spending, you have no idea how mobile income works.  There was an infographic going around a few years ago but some quick googling leads for a Forbes article showing that .2% of players can contribute 50% of a games revenue.  I can believe that seeing monster rosters.  $100 buys 1-2 5* covers, look at people with several 550 (113 covers) characters.  A pretty hardcore f2p player has an average of about 17 covers per 5* at this point so you can check peoples rosters and deduce their spending habits.
  • smoq84
    smoq84 Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
    I quit PVP due to these changes and might come back if they change
    I hate it and I'm going to quit pvp after current season ends.

I haven't even won a single 3* cover due to huge amount of time needed in comparison to how it was previously.
    I used to get to 4* cover in around 20 wins or even less. Now I get to CP reward only.
    I'm going to focus on pve which is more rewarding at the moment.

In pvp I will be probably joining late and counting for good placement without hours of grinding.
  • Dax317
    Dax317 Posts: 87 Match Maker
    Yes I like the changes, and playing more PVP
    I am playing way more. I never agreed with a progression reward system that you could lose ground. You were not losing the rewards but was losing points in a way that makes little sense. You can lose a match to a superior roster and lose say 75 points, but can only gain 25 back if you beat the superior roster with a inferior roster this is completely backwards(this is an actual example that has happened to me multiple times). The one critique I have is the win totals a slightly to high but oh well. Also, taking cp out of progression was not great either. But I am playing way more than ever before and starting to enjoy PvP more than I ever thought I would. I am almost at my 600th day and the vast majority of that has been pve. A compromise might be, if they went back to points only, once you reach a reward level your points could not fall below that. Best of both worlds, maybe. And please fix the way points are distributed among teams battling one another. It really is head shaking.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Tile Toppler
    dkffiv said:

Your comments are exactly why 60% of people polled hate these changes.  We used to be able to play casually and hit 1200+ within an hour, leaving placement rewards to whether we wanted to go hard or not.

The 4* you're clamoring over for progression reward is meaningless to us.  Only very specific 4* are usable and only if they are boosted - the one you get from progression is inconsequential compared to the number you get from opening packs.  The end reward for PvP has always been obtainable, it's a matter of learning how to use shields and boosts.

People who took a few months off and come back can no longer PvP unless they spend several thousand dollars trying to whale out Gambit.  An OML/Phoenix team will get hammered trying to land a t10 spot for CP but hey, at least they can get 1 more cover for Nick Fury.

In regards to your comments about several f2p players compensating for whales no longer spending, you have no idea how mobile income works.  There was an infographic going around a few years ago but some quick googling leads for a Forbes article showing that .2% of players can contribute 50% of a games revenue.  I can believe that seeing monster rosters.  $100 buys 1-2 5* covers, look at people with several 550 (113 covers) characters.  A pretty hardcore f2p player has an average of about 17 covers per 5* at this point so you can check peoples rosters and deduce their spending habits.

Im a little confused, to be honest your response doesnt even seem to be to my post.

Im not clamouring over anything, that is the entire point of the post you quoted.

Hitting 1200+ "casually" is just not a reality for a large number of people, myself included.  And, frankly, "Its a matter of learning..." if both patronising and insulting.

I do agree people have to stay on the hamster wheel simply to keep pace with the competitive game, that is, in essence. the problem with the game.  Its arduous more than its fun.

Ill take your word on income, Ive never claimed to be an expert.  Only posited that it might be preferable to have lots of small transactions rather than few large ones.  To be honest I dont really care, I just put a thought out there.
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    No I hate the changes, but playing the same PVP

6 days in....

Yes I like it:  48 votes/18%

Indifferent:  25 votes/9%

No I hate it: 178/66%

Quit:  20 votes/7%

Yes again, before somebody points this out, this is not the entire community that doesn't come here OR they have Line and not a forum account, BUT this cannot be ignored. 

• [Deleted User]
    Why not?

D3/Demi/Whatever have a history of not listening.

Why do you think they will pay attention to two thirds of a minority?

As stated.  Id love to see some actual figures around participation etc - like they do - it could be very informative.

My suspicion is that despite higher end rosters/players being unhappy that actually engagement will be up.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    sh81 said:
    Why not?

As stated.  Id love to see some actual figures around participation etc - like they do - it could be very informative.

My suspicion is that despite higher end rosters/players being unhappy that actually engagement will be up.

Engagement is totally meaningless if it doesn't come with spending.
  • [Deleted User]
    Bowgentle said:
    sh81 said:
    Why not?

Again, not information we are privvy to.

I would expect these changes/strategies to be made with the best interests of the games survival (prosperity?) in mind.

Considering that, I assume there must be reasons for them going the way they do.

I cant imagine that profit/income wasnt considered when these changes were implemented, put it that way.

I was told I am completely wrong in another thread, but I still suspect the idea might be that 1000 players making small buys is preferable to 100 players making larger ones.

At least in terms of longevity that makes more sense to me.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    sh81 said:
    Bowgentle said:
    sh81 said:
    Why not?

Again, not information we are privvy to.

I would expect these changes/strategies to be made with the best interests of the games survival (prosperity?) in mind.

Considering that, I assume there must be reasons for them going the way they do.

I cant imagine that profit/income wasnt considered when these changes were implemented, put it that way.

I was told I am completely wrong in another thread, but I still suspect the idea might be that 1000 players making small buys is preferable to 100 players making larger ones.

At least in terms of longevity that makes more sense to me.

Yes, you are wrong.

And devs have a history of having no clue about high level play, so they didn't consider how bad this would be for the PVP guys who are keeping the lights on.
  • The rockett
    sh81 said:
    Why not?

I disagree.  If they would actually provide data, which they won't and why I am for S4, this is what I what I would expect.

First 2-3 events-Player engagement up

4-5-Player engagement the same

5-10-Player engagement down.

I truly believe player engagement will be down from last season AND less HP spent on shields which drives revenue/purchases. If there are no changes to this system for next season, I foresee a PVP player engagement being down.   Losing the CP's in progression is a major reason for this as I have said time and time again. 

• [Deleted User]
    Maybe they did, maybe they didnt - we do not know.

As it is I choose to think they have made an informed decision based upon more information than either your or I have access too.

If it backfires I would expect them to make further changes.  We have to assume the decisions they take are all with the interest of the games long term success/viability - yet people always talk about them as though its the opposite.

Just as, people talk about their own part of the game being effected as being a disaster for them (which it is) and so being a disaster for the game (which is not necessarily true at all).
  • [Deleted User]
    sh81 said:
    Why not?

I disagree.  If they would actually provide data, which they won't and why I am for S4, this is what I what I would expect.

First 2-3 events-Player engagement up

4-5-Player engagement the same

5-10-Player engagement down.

I truly believe player engagement will be down from last season AND less HP spent on shields which drives revenue/purchases. If there are no changes to this system for next season, I foresee a PVP player engagement being down.   Losing the CP's in progression is a major reason for this as I have said time and time again. 

You are looking at it from a higher level perspective.

And yes, at that level, I expect you are right.  But, as you have acknowledged yourself, this is a minority.

I play at a lower level, and can tell you my engagement is certainly up.  With many people sharing that view.  The difference is - I am in more of a majority than you are.  If our experiences are indicative, net engagement would be up, wouldnt it?

Purchases?  I cant shake the feeling they are trying to diversify, so to speak.  For example, what does a guaranteed 4* every few days mean to developing rosters?  Roster slots.  Combine this with the current release schedule and suddenly theres a big HP crunch in this area.

Competitive players that persevere will still want to buy shields, I assume.  While lower level players are in it for the rewards more than they used to be.  They will buy HP for roster slots, just as its possible they will buy health packs just to keep playing that extra few rounds to reach a goal - knowing they wont back slide and its so close...

Maybe its to push VIP more, given the accelerated healing.  Regular, habitual purchases?

There must be a reason behind it, at to assume self destruction or ignorance just seems wrong to me.
  • [Deleted User]
    I really wish you were on Line and could talk to the people that this is killing.  I don't think you understand at all calling this the minority that this change effects.  Also, if they do not make a change for next season, it will be too late. Most people will not wait around that long for a fix. 
    It IS a minority.  Thats just the truth.  That doesnt mean I have no sympathy, far from it, its just the reality of the situation.

It appears, to me at least, they have been sacrificed with an eye on "the greater good" (hate the term, but its fair).

As I said in another thread, I also think if this is "killing" you, then it may not be a bad thing either, if it leads to a healthier relationship with the game.  

No offence intended at all, its just that if a mobile game means so much, perhaps ones priorities need to be considered.

Ive been there, been too invested, and its not a happy place.  
  • The rockett
    sh81 said:
    I really wish you were on Line and could talk to the people that this is killing.  I don't think you understand at all calling this the minority that this change effects.  Also, if they do not make a change for next season, it will be too late. Most people will not wait around that long for a fix. 
    It IS a minority.  Thats just the truth.  That doesnt mean I have no sympathy, far from it, its just the reality of the situation.

It appears, to me at least, they have been sacrificed with an eye on "the greater good" (hate the term, but its fair).

As I said in another thread, I also think if this is "killing" you, then it may not be a bad thing either, if it leads to a healthier relationship with the game.  

No offence intended at all, its just that if a mobile game means so much, perhaps ones priorities need to be considered.

Ive been there, been too invested, and its not a happy place.  
    Who are you to tell me what I choose to spend my time on?  This is none of your business.
  • zahria
    zahria Posts: 14 Just Dropped In
    It's clear more people are choosing to stop playing PvP. The brackets are getting tighter & more crowded. This means that players have to fight harder for that coveted T10 for CP. Where slice 7 used to flip before the event start, it is now flipping after. And before you say every event is different, I get that. But it's taking longer for brackets to flip. This means less are joining. And less brackets are being used, even later. I hope D3 listens or they will lose even more players. Every day I see people leaving my alliance ( or at least at the end of the season). It hurts me that D3 is putting profits & new players ahead of those that have been loyal for so long.
  • The rockett
    bluewolf said:
    The devs probably have some internal estimate for attrition.  They probably assume that the vast majority of players won't quit due to sunk costs.  AKA most people won't quit no matter what they do (or the number will be very small).

This is a huge change (bigger by far than the OML nerf) and impacts everyone - both people who like it and people who don't.  If it results in reduced engagement and spending, then maybe things will change.

Two things I think we can assume:

1.  The wins based system is not being reversed, if ever, for a while.  Not next season, probably not the season after (but maybe).  Everything in the game is a "test" and they would not make any major change after one true "test" in full season.  They will want to see how people respond to the "new normal", which cannot be normal until it runs a few times.
    2.  As long as wins based PVP is the system, CP will be placement only.  The wins based system allows you to just play and grind to 95% of the rewards.  There has to be a significant reason to place and shield, or there will be almost $0 revenue in this system.  People won't shield and fight for placement without a strong incentive (CP). 

So if you find this un-fun and unenjoyable, begin to weigh your options.  If you like it, awesome!  You will be a happy player for the foreseeable future.

At least we only have a week before the off season.
    From the people I talk to, a lot of vets, I think this could be a major decision for them if they do not tweak this system.  I could care less about the Win system cause that will not change my game play, but removing the CPs (which a lot of people have said from the start was a major concern) is where my sole focus is on. 
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2017
    The idea sounded great on paper but it's far too many matches. Im constantly reaching the original points but don't have enough wins for the reward.. so I'm just going to 16 wins for CP and if the 4* is a cover I need I'll go for it but an extra champ level feels like a waste of time for me. 

The worst part of the change is SHIELD SIM.. 74 wins is ridiculous. I've been at 2000 pts since my 45th win and I wasn't even aiming for high point targets. I still haven't reached 74.. if it wasn't Rogue I would have gave up. That's why I'm playing more PvP.

Shield Sim should stay points only OR test the Hybrid system here.. at least give the player suggestions a chance!
  • The rockett
    The idea sounded great on paper but it's far too many matches. Im constantly reaching the original points but don't have enough wins for the reward.. so I'm just going to 16 wins for CP and if the 4* I'd for a cover I need I'll go for it but a champ levels is a waste of time for me. 

The worst part of the change is SHIELD SIM.. 74 wins is ridiculous. I've been at 2000 pts since my 45th win and I wasn't even aiming for high point targets. I still haven't reached 74.. if it wasn't Rogue I would have gave up. That's why I'm playing more PvP.

Shield Sim should stay points only OR test the Hybrid system here.. at least give the player suggestions a chance!
    You just need a "healthier relationship with the game".