Time Gem Season Updates *Updated (10/19/17)

Options

Comments

• Lemminkäinen
    Lemminkäinen Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Tony Foot said:

(I'm a four-star player who has three fully-covered five-stars but don't want to be stuck using just three chars forever and ever)
    How has this change done that? I'm confused, no offense intended. Surely the fact you have 3 fully covered 5*s is what will have you playing those 3 forever? Or as long as it takes you to re-hoard, get lucky?
    This change did nothing to that aspect. I just wanted to give context to my position and describe that I'm a high-level four-star player who has decided out of my own volition to remain a four-star player and therefore the four-star cover has been what I've been after in PvP.
  • DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,194 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Bowgentle said:
    DyingLegend said:

I would assume placement would be easier for some because after certain people (IE me)  hit max progress, they will drop out of the event.
    Sorry, but you were never getting T10 in CL7 or 8 in the first place, so you dropping out after 40 wins helps nobody who was capable of hitting 1200.
    Actually i could hit T10 whenever i wanted (and did many times) , Just depends on the slice and the time investment. Also using HC to shield was a waste IMO when i need HC for roster slots. I prefer to hit 900 and dip because its less effort. 
  • evade420
    evade420 Posts: 440 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Right now I can hit 1200 points in less than and hour and a half , there's not even a chance that I'll come even close to 40 wins in the same time , probably more like 20.
    This is a huge nerf to the game , the only people who truly benefit from thus are those with soft capped rosters / those willing and able to play each event ad nauseam / and last minute bracket snipers going just for placement.
    The last 2 tests of this system were brutal with my MMR,  took at least 3hrs to get progression and didint even come close to t10 despite have well over 1200pts,  not happy about this

• LFChikarason
    LFChikarason Posts: 397 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I guess I have no problem with this change, but the last times they did win based PVP, to get alliance rewards, you also had to reach a certain point amount as well. So, this change means you have to get both a certain amount of wins and a certain score overall for the alliance. If it was one or the other, that's cool. But this change makes it both, which evidently will be tough for many players. 
  • CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    This kills the 5* transition for anyone pvp focused unless they open up MMR. Why would you want to enter that realm and have to grind 40 wins against Panthos/Gambolt/etc. for the same rewards as before?

I haven't been looking forward to the expected influx of Gambit/Black Bolt teams - combined with this, gah, do I need to come back every couple of hours once the health packs have regened? How much play time do the devs think is suitable to get a 4* cover?
  • Felessa
    Felessa Posts: 161 Tile Toppler
    Options
    System Reboot is back with updates for Fury and a 3*!?! Thank you very much, he and Psylock really needed some love! And I'm happy with PvP wins too, because even being an almost 3 years player, I had never reached the 4* cover in progression before, but in the mini-season test I did it for the first time (IMHB and Jean), and it was really cool!
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    fmftint said:
     Time to remove the MMR band aids that habe been applied over the years. If we're required to play quantity over quality then let us see EVERYONE!
    Everyone is a bit of a stretch, but yeah MMR needs to be opened up with this if they aren't going to some type of hybrid with points.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Things the Devs could have done to show support for The higher end PVP player but they didn’t do because the Devs know better than the players.
    #1 make PVP progression a hybrid system of wins or points.
    #2 open CL9-10 and make those CL points progression over wins.
    #3 open MMR so 5* players could see 3-4* players or anyone in their CL.
    #4 in CL9-10 place CP in win progression at 40 wins and open MMR
    #5 make win based progression for season and sim, not individual events.  Increase the rewards in season progression so players can progress 2 ways.

all of these options would encourage more players to play PVP and help players who are struggleing in PVP the ability to progress while still engaging the higher level player.  The reason the Devs are not implementing these options is simple.  This is their game and they are going to tell us how to play it and they will get upset if we figure out any work around.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Wish they would've gone for a hybrid approach where progression rewards were awarded the first time you reach a given threshold, like:
      16 wins OR 575 pts : 10cp
      28 wins OR 800 pts : 3* cover
      40 wins OR 900 pts : 4* cover
                         1200pts : 15cp

Would've been best of both worlds ...

Yeah, this what I've been advocating. Even simple milestone markers every 200 points would have kept the core of PvP intact and allowed players to get to 900 without those terrible beatdowns.
  • Starfury
    Starfury Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options
    broll said:
    fmftint said:
     Time to remove the MMR band aids that habe been applied over the years. If we're required to play quantity over quality then let us see EVERYONE!
    Everyone is a bit of a stretch, but yeah MMR needs to be opened up with this if they aren't going to some type of hybrid with points.
    And as soon as that happens you'll have the 3*/4* rosters complaining about getting eaten by killer whales and losing the placement rewards they used to get earlier.
  • Meander
    Meander Posts: 267 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    tiomono said:
    Unpopular opinion alert.

I have limited time to spend on this game. With 2 small children that need my attention more than a mobile game, I love the win based progression system. 
    Cop out alert.  You think you're the only one with a life outside this game? You know how many times I see "wife nerf" "had to put the kids to bed" "kid meltdown" etc in Line rooms.  These things cause quick shields,  not whiney excuses
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Starfury said:
    broll said:
    fmftint said:
    And as soon as that happens you'll have the 3*/4* rosters complaining about getting eaten by killer whales and losing the placement rewards they used to get earlier.
    Probably, but IMO this change speaks to me that a lot of 3*/4* players and lower have given up on PvP to a large extent due to feeling unwinnable.  The people that come back to PvP most likely won't care about placement much/at all.  I know for me I rarely place above 20-50.  I'm fine trading that in for T100 if I can be assured the 4* placement every time by 40 quick wins against easy opponents.  

Another interesting though about CP in placement.  What if SCL 9 came out and the 15 CP went as low as T50 (similar to the 4* cover in T50).  That wouldn't guarantee every vet could get it, but I would think the vast majority of vets don't struggle to get T50, even in an SCL 9 situation.  We've seen plenty of precedent to the devs releasing a new feature before a complimentary feature that probably should have been added first.... Just a thought...
  • DaBeast911
    DaBeast911 Posts: 77 Match Maker
    Options
    D4Ni13 said:
    rixmith said:
    Wow, I thought they'd at least lower the number of wins for a 4* from 40 to something more reasonable like 25 or 30. But I guess the data showed otherwise...
    They didn't said if they changed the number or not, just that the PvP based on wins will be starting from next season. Why so ready to jump to conclusions ? 

The rockett
    said:
    Throw a grenade and walk away.  Great idea.  Make a major change to the game and decide to go home for the night while everybody has questions. 95% of the people I play with, and it's a lot, think the win progression was a terrible idea.  The only thing that can save this is if you put the CPs back in here, too bad this wasn't deemed important enough for you to post tonight. Plus do this major change right after the Anniversary and the sales you had. Already got our money now let's make a fundamental change to PVP, which is the money maker for the game. Good luck. 
    First of, you are way overreacting. You will get your anwsers soon enough, there is still 2 days before the changes go live. Furthermore,  everybody knew win-based PvP is coming sooner or later. They made 3 tests for it already, so it was only a matter of time, not a question of if. 

JHawkInc said:
    The devs are DENSE if they think PVP based wins are ready to be implemented straight into the game.

Regardless as to whether you're for or against the change, it was pretty obvious that it was very rough around the edges and needed some work.

I don't like being given deliberately half-baked game features.
    Nobody said it is going to be the same as the test reward & number-wise. Lets wait to see some actual details. 

Do you work for D3? Sure seems like it.......just asking
  • Friarbundy
    Friarbundy Posts: 118 Tile Toppler
    Options
    +1 in favor of this change!  Thanks for listening to the little guys!