Time Gem Season Updates *Updated (10/19/17)

Options

Comments

• broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Meander said:
    tiomono said
    So I'm copping out, and whiny? 70% of the replies in this topic have been whiny. I was not whining but expressing my happiness over a change. Let me be happy.
    Yes. Using your wife and kids as an excuse is a cop out.  "I don't want to play the shield hop game/ use line/ pay for more hp for shields" are all valid in game reasons to like this system.  "My wife and kids don't let me play,  compared to all you nerds" is not
    LOL RNGsus forbid people have priorities.

1.  Family
    2.  Job
    3.  Mobile play on the toilet game.

Even at that I'm pretty sure that's out of wack...  
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Wow. No SCL9 PVP announced with this huh?

Nice knowing all the mid-level PVP'ers. See you in PVE, I guess.

Gating off progression - which IS cp at this point - to T10 only is just terrible.

-signed, T10 PVP player every event for many seasons.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I'm going to throw my hat in the ring as a guy FOR the win based system.

There are things wrong with it, sure, the total wins are out of whack...and it would be nice if there weren't as many gaps between prizes. But overall I enjoy myself more with that. I choose matches based on whether I think I can win rather than "Well this is the only fight worth more than 30 points and it's going to be a long painful slog that'll probably cost me 3 health packs assuming I even win..."

I enjoyed the wins a lot more. It's more relaxed, more carefree and I can do it as I please for however long I please rather than at set finish times.

It can be tweaked later, I'm sure, if they find people still aren't keen on 40 wins. But even if not...eh, it's still better than the old system for me =/
    Would you still feel that way if the changed also significantly reduced your acquisition rate for the resource in the game that offers meaningful roster progression?  Because that is what locking the cp in placement does to 5* transitioners.

Also, it's silly to suggest that this change lets you play whenever you want.  That's only true if you only care about progression; placement still works on the same schedule.  And if you really only care,about progression then PVP was already "play whenever you want" unless you got into shield hopping.  And no one who shield hops a lot likes this change because they have to play 2x the matches AND finish top 10 to get the same rewards.

I would guess that at least half of the opposition to this stupid change would go away if demi just put 15 cp at 40 wins.  More grinding sucks, but it's much better than hard capping the number of players who can get rewards that used to be, at least theoretically, open to all.

It is especially annoying given that something like clearance level should offer an easy solution to this problem.  Put cp back in progression for cl8 and 9.  That will incentivize play at the highest levels without opening the floodgates on cp flow to nee players.
  • TheRealJRad
    TheRealJRad Posts: 309 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Not a fan of this. I'll give it a season, but you've lost my VIP renewal unless this turns out better than expected. I currently join a bracket when the event starts, do a push to 4-500, then another to 850. Takes me like an hour to knock both of those out, spread out over 2 days. One shield. Some events I may have to make a 3rd push and use a second shield, but my time investment is still just 2-4 matches and another 15 or so minutes. I'm not looking to play for hours a day - it's why I really don't PvE.

It seems all this is going to encourage me to do is hit those 20 point 3* teams that previously weren't worth the time. 
  • Philly484
    Philly484 Posts: 173 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Yeah this is not a move in the right direction for Veteran players at all. I don't see the purpose in this as there is a big flaw in the system as competitiveness is still at play. Basically anyone can find one of their friends and just hit each other back and forth until they reach 40, and then they can go back to the norm of making 2k Plus pts in game with the # rooms. So basically what you have done is make newer players think they are getting a better system, when in all reality they are not getting the same rewards as they were in previous pt vs win rate. Sorry, but in my opinion you have created a very large loop hole that allows every player to make 40 wins then just stop playing, hence less money spent on #'s and Health packs for you all. Don't really see how this move financially benefited you all. 
  • Rick_OShay
    Rick_OShay Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Welp, the 40 wins thing requires a bit of a different strategy, hope it doesn't end up actually taking that much more time (like opening up MMR to queue some lower rosters).

Excited to hear about the updates to Fury and Psylocke. I was in the few who already liked to use them - yes wishing they had buffs - and now they do. 
  • peanut_gallery
    peanut_gallery Posts: 114 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Hating this change as well, but I'm not about do a ton more matches for the same rewards.  At the end of the day, the cp is more important to me than the 3* and 4* covers (which are now far more plentiful in PvE scl9).

So it looks like I'll be cruising in scl6 PvP to get the 15 cp reward. I'm guessing a lot of other folks from scl7 will likely do the same.  Not too sure if D3 was intending to make things more difficult for 4* transitioning players by flooding their leader-boards with 5* players, but that seems like a probable result of this change.
  • broll
    Options
    Vhailorx said:
    I'm going to throw my hat in the ring as a guy FOR the win based system.

There are things wrong with it, sure, the total wins are out of whack...and it would be nice if there weren't as many gaps between prizes. But overall I enjoy myself more with that. I choose matches based on whether I think I can win rather than "Well this is the only fight worth more than 30 points and it's going to be a long painful slog that'll probably cost me 3 health packs assuming I even win..."

I enjoyed the wins a lot more. It's more relaxed, more carefree and I can do it as I please for however long I please rather than at set finish times.

It can be tweaked later, I'm sure, if they find people still aren't keen on 40 wins. But even if not...eh, it's still better than the old system for me =/
    Would you still feel that way if the changed also significantly reduced your acquisition rate for the resource in the game that offers meaningful roster progression?  Because that is what locking the cp in placement does to 5* transitioners.

Also, it's silly to suggest that this change lets you play whenever you want.  That's only true if you only care about progression; placement still works on the same schedule.  And if you really only care,about progression then PVP was already "play whenever you want" unless you got into shield hopping.  And no one who shield hops a lot likes this change because they have to play 2x the matches AND finish top 10 to get the same rewards.

I would guess that at least half of the opposition to this stupid change would go away if demi just put 15 cp at 40 wins.  More grinding sucks, but it's much better than hard capping the number of players who can get rewards that used to be, at least theoretically, open to all.

It is especially annoying given that something like clearance level should offer an easy solution to this problem.  Put cp back in progression for cl8 and 9.  That will incentivize play at the highest levels without opening the floodgates on cp flow to nee players.
     Maybe, but you might be surprised.  I placed higher in each win based test they've done.  I discovered that doing 3-10 smaller hits more frequently was getting me further than my previous efforts of skipping 8000 times and burning through a bunch of kills a few times during the 2.5 days.  

Regardless to my experience this will change the PvP meta so you can't assume the same rules for placement will apply.  There will likely be more player playing bolstering the number and variety of targets.  Less people will probably shield or will shield less, which will also press more.  It's also unclear what placement numbers people will be able/willing to fight for in the system.  

It's probably miss-leading to say it's more flexible, but it's gonna change things and none of us fully know how it will balance out once people settle into it.
  • tfcrazy1980
    tfcrazy1980 Posts: 132 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Well, i didnt like the pvp changes in the testing and now their here, guess i'll have to find something else to do with my free time, once again, the time invested isnt worth the rewards.
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    SnowcaTT said:

Gating off progression - which IS cp at this point - to T10 only is just terrible.

Why do you need CL9? With so many threatening to quit the game you should have little competition at the top in 8 now.
  • broll
    Options
    shardwick said:
    SnowcaTT said:

Why do you need CL9? With so many threatening to quit the game you should have little competition at the top in 8 now.
    You mean the bottom 7?  In PvP there is almost no incentive to not play in the top bracket since you play the same people regardless (actual teams not scoring/placement).  
  • byc
    byc Posts: 297 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Wins based progression is bad.

Kingpin still nerfed.

Good thing I don't pay.
  • Mustache1
    Mustache1 Posts: 17 Just Dropped In
    Options
    @Brigby please pay attention to who is saying what. I recognize the folks saying noooo! As higher end players, thus the players who were likely paying d3's salary. I also notice the folks who are saying yay! Are people I've never seen before which likely means they are lower tier, newer players who aren't buying starks all the time. Can we rename Versus to Adv. Story mode? Maybe pve2?