Time Gem Season Updates *Updated (10/19/17)

Options

Comments

• Spudgutter
    Spudgutter Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    Options
    corytutor said:
    Thats not the games fault.

Know your limits and the strength of your roster, buy a shield, and spend some iso to find easier teams. A ton of people grill and at 800 or above they arent hard to find.

Look at your bracket leaderboard. See those guys at top? Pick the ones in top alliances. When they unshield look for them. Theyre worth the most and also the most likely to grill.  
    Some people dont have that time. I understand that high level pvp requires a certain understanding of the system.  But try to see it from their perspective, of the devs.  Would you rather have a system where someone could just jump in and play, or one where someone see that the opportunity isnt right and goes and plays another game?

We get it, you are on a kick of responding to every comment that might show the least bit of support of this change. All i ask is that you take a second and realise that some people are not on the same page, and thats ok.
  • corytutor
    corytutor Posts: 414 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Umm i was simply informing the lad, and others reading. Theres a lot that people dont know or consider so i thought id take a chance to share a little. Get over it spud. If you guys love the changes thats great. Im going to get mine regardless. But dont assume that just because i share a little info that i have an agenda to push. Im just nice like that.  
  • razor14
    razor14 Posts: 37 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I would like to say that 98% of players don't understand how pvp works.
    And game tends to punish top players (regular spenders) to benefit casual players that might spend some money one day...
  • Maceo511
    Maceo511 Posts: 67 Match Maker
    Options
    Bowgentle said:
    Milk Jugz said:
    Bowgentle said:
    Tony Foot said:
    Milk Jugz said:

This post reeks of ignorance of the communication between top end players. You honestly believe they will all slum and fight each other for placement?? Haha!! They will coordinate with each other to spread out as evenly as possible and you will find the top 10 of every bracket in every clearance level 5-8 filled with 5* rosters. The only exception will be if you get lucky enough to catch a bracket flip near the end of the event. Good luck!!
    Oh absolutely I know they will still fill the top slots, but I have never aimed for that anyway. As they spread themselves out as I said it made it so much easier for me to get better placement as in T20-50 in higher CL. But perhaps your post sheds some light on why they have their knickers in a knot, imagine how little fun it would be to have to co-ordinate to those levels to spread thin and make sure you don't actually have to fight other top rosters for T10. I think if I had to go to those levels I'd be a bit miffed too.
    You really have no idea.
    Occasionally, even with coordination, we end up with 15+ friendlies in a bracket.
    This is when we laugh, shrug, and ask who really is going for t5.

Snipers etc make stuff unpredictable anyway.
    But we ARE fighting amongst ourselves.

It's not like coordination works out every time, right spectator, gmp72
    I got called a sniper by one of my alliance mates after I hit someone 3 times in a row to get to 1200 in one of the off-season events and that person sent a SS to my commander via Line..... Haha.... I don't coordinate, I hit anybody except alliance mates as many times as they pop up and are worth decent enough points..... But I'm also not trying for top 10....
    It's not sniping until you get angry pms.
    That's when you send out a survey.
    Surveys?
  • corytutor
    corytutor Posts: 414 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Butt hurt surveys. Some of them are hilarious
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Maceo511 said:
    Bowgentle said:
    Milk Jugz said:
    Bowgentle said:
    Tony Foot said:
    Milk Jugz said:

This post reeks of ignorance of the communication between top end players. You honestly believe they will all slum and fight each other for placement?? Haha!! They will coordinate with each other to spread out as evenly as possible and you will find the top 10 of every bracket in every clearance level 5-8 filled with 5* rosters. The only exception will be if you get lucky enough to catch a bracket flip near the end of the event. Good luck!!
    Oh absolutely I know they will still fill the top slots, but I have never aimed for that anyway. As they spread themselves out as I said it made it so much easier for me to get better placement as in T20-50 in higher CL. But perhaps your post sheds some light on why they have their knickers in a knot, imagine how little fun it would be to have to co-ordinate to those levels to spread thin and make sure you don't actually have to fight other top rosters for T10. I think if I had to go to those levels I'd be a bit miffed too.
    You really have no idea.
    Occasionally, even with coordination, we end up with 15+ friendlies in a bracket.
    This is when we laugh, shrug, and ask who really is going for t5.

Snipers etc make stuff unpredictable anyway.
    But we ARE fighting amongst ourselves.

It's not like coordination works out every time, right spectator, gmp72
    I got called a sniper by one of my alliance mates after I hit someone 3 times in a row to get to 1200 in one of the off-season events and that person sent a SS to my commander via Line..... Haha.... I don't coordinate, I hit anybody except alliance mates as many times as they pop up and are worth decent enough points..... But I'm also not trying for top 10....
    It's not sniping until you get angry pms.
    That's when you send out a survey.
    Surveys?
    I hear they're a thing, yes.
    You should have copyrighted.
  • astrp3
    astrp3 Posts: 367 Mover and Shaker
    edited October 2017
    Options
    This is what some of us have been saying.  All the tests were in the offseason with different boosted chars.  Now we are in the season and all ally's will be playing.  It you thought the 40 wins would be easy with PVE as well, lets see what happens for the full season. 
    Never thought for a second 40 wins would be easy, I've just held off commenting until I actually tried it out. Having tried the Storm event now, I dont believe 40 wins will be achievable for someone who also plays PVE heavily, without buying health packs. You take far too much damage each fight. 
    I don't want to sound snarky, but the vets were saying this would not work that well for a reason unless you buy health packs.  I assume, and yes I understand that assumption is the mother of all mess ups, that most of the players in the old system that would only go to 575 to maybe push for 900 would also be mainly PVE players.  With the new 5* node in 7/8/9, this takes some more health packs to do.  So all in, this will be a major issue unless you are willing to buy health packs, which most of the high end PVP/PVE players do....a lot.  Like I said, a lot of people were jumping for joy on this, lets see how they feel after this season is over.  I think some might change their mind. 
    Nick, just curious what SCL you're playing in. My experience in SCL 7 is completely different from what some are reporting (as is often the case)

I didn't like win-based-pvp (though I I'm holding off on hating it until I give it a whirl) and still don't but my experience so far hasn't been nearly as bad as i thought it would. In Category-5, I got to 40 wins pretty easily. Not only did I not come close to running out of health packs (I never buy them) but my matches were actually easier than normal (mostly 3* teams instead 4*).  I played more matches than I normally would, but don't think I spent that much more time playing given the easier matches (plus not having to skip low matches).  I'll have to see where I end up in placement. I play PvE as well, but only at SCL 7 so I barely use any health packs there. 

I'd say it was the difference in our rosters but yours is probably much better than mine. If so, it may be the SCL and/or slice because it sure as heck isn't my superior skill since I play this game like an absolute moron (usually when watching TV) and if I'm using any strategy, it's entirely by accident. 

Or maybe I just spend WAY too much time on this game.

• astrp3
    edited October 2017
    Options
    OJSP said:
    SCL affects opponents levels in PvE, rosters determine matchmaking in PvP. So, to preserve health packs, it's probably simpler to choose lower SCLs in PvE. If we have quite a broad roster, picking different teams for the event and finding those who tank for the featured characters might help.
    MMR (for PvP) takes into account your roster and your performance - or at least it did back in December 2015 when one of the DemiUrge producers talked about it on Puzzle Warriors 3. Don't know if it's still the same.  
    If it is, then tanking or semi-tanking might make getting the progression awards easier. 

By semi-tanking I mean methods other than deliberately retreating from a match  - like winning with a weak team and not shielding. That may not be your cup of tea, but if you're the kind of player who hates it when they lose 200 points overnight, it might be kind of nice to be happy about getting hit ("Oh Yeah!!! I lost 200 points, baby! Time for some easy wins.")

I'm still mostly down on the change, but one of the things I actually like about it is that  you can experiment and use teams you normally never would for fear of losing points. It may not save you time, but it's much less grindy than using the same team over and over and over and over (and saves on health packs).  If you're going for placement, this may not be viable. 
  • astrp3
    edited October 2017
    Options
    OJSP said:
    astrp3 said:
    Now that I've hit 40 wins, I plan on making a final rush for placement at some point and seeing how far I get. I may not like the results, but my goals are pretty low. 
    If you are planning to reclimb later, make sure you change your defensive team to something stronger now. It's the weekend and there's no data push, so there's a chance your weak team would still be in someone's queue until the last minute of the event.
    Hey now. I never said that I was using such tactics. Maybe I was just pointing them out for the benefit of others ;)

Actually, I used one of my good teams for the 40th win (at least I hope I did) - and I only rarely use the end-with-a-weak-team or other such tactics (e.g. trapcaking, late joining, LR queue-loading). I thought about putting on a weak team to try and grab some more cheap wins, but I think Id rather take a day off of PvP. 

• Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    astrp3 said:
    This is what some of us have been saying.  All the tests were in the offseason with different boosted chars.  Now we are in the season and all ally's will be playing.  It you thought the 40 wins would be easy with PVE as well, lets see what happens for the full season. 
    Never thought for a second 40 wins would be easy, I've just held off commenting until I actually tried it out. Having tried the Storm event now, I dont believe 40 wins will be achievable for someone who also plays PVE heavily, without buying health packs. You take far too much damage each fight. 
    I don't want to sound snarky, but the vets were saying this would not work that well for a reason unless you buy health packs.  I assume, and yes I understand that assumption is the mother of all mess ups, that most of the players in the old system that would only go to 575 to maybe push for 900 would also be mainly PVE players.  With the new 5* node in 7/8/9, this takes some more health packs to do.  So all in, this will be a major issue unless you are willing to buy health packs, which most of the high end PVP/PVE players do....a lot.  Like I said, a lot of people were jumping for joy on this, lets see how they feel after this season is over.  I think some might change their mind. 
    Nick, just curious what SCL you're playing in. My experience in SCL 7 is completely different from what some are reporting (as is often the case)

I didn't like win-based-pvp (though I I'm holding off on hating it until I give it a whirl) and still don't but my experience so far hasn't been nearly as bad as i thought it would. In Category-5, I got to 40 wins pretty easily. Not only did I not come close to running out of health packs (I never buy them) but my matches were actually easier than normal (mostly 3* teams instead 4*).  I played more matches than I normally would, but don't think I spent that much more time playing given the easier matches (plus not having to skip low matches).  I'll have to see where I end up in placement. I play PvE as well, but only at SCL 7 so I barely use any health packs there. 

I'd say it was the difference in our rosters but yours is probably much better than mine. If so, it may be the SCL and/or slice because it sure as heck isn't my superior skill since I play this game like an absolute moron (usually when watching TV) and if I'm using any strategy, it's entirely by accident. 

Or maybe I just spend WAY too much time on this game.

I'm in CL8 with 41 champed 4*s with the highest at 282. 

I'm going to drop down to CL7 for the next event and see what happens. 
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I didn't even look at the points people have, and I'm STILL at 500+ after 10 wins running my 4s.
    27 points average, sure Demiurge.

Also thanks for making seeds completely random, it's kinda hard to trap cake against dual champed 5s right out of the gate.
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    LOL. I just realized something. While breakdown the score vs win format for an ally mate that was seeing what he needed to do, I noticed that not only did they take the 15 CPs from 1200 and move to placement but they also took out the 500 score ISO, which is 750 in SL7 for black Vortex. I am not sure if this was talk about before, but I just saw it.  Lol. Nerfed the CPs and now an ISO rewards.  Awesome.  Time to go bash some seals again.  
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,717 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Bowgentle said:

Also thanks for making seeds completely random, it's kinda hard to trap cake against dual champed 5s right out of the gate.
    That I totally agree with, it kills dead a plan to start with 2 stars then move to 3's and so on. It meant I hit my wall at 22 wins and 820 points. Now I'm waiting on hits and they ain't coming. Admittedly in the old system I would have just hit the 900 and walked away but I also didn't start this aggressively and play throughout the event like I'm going to have to now, which is what they want.

I think I will have to move slice to for a more competitive one. My slice was great for climbing from 600-900 in 4* land and never needing a shield even in the last 3 hours but waiting on hits and retals it's pretty dead.
  • Angjo
    Angjo Posts: 42 Just Dropped In
    Options
    So when the devs said “we’d really like your feedback on some changes we’re thinking about so we’re going to run some test events” what they really meant was “we’d like you to give us feedback that we’re making a good change. If you give us any feedback we could use to improve the event or that says these changes are bad, well we’re just going to ignore that”?

If I could ask a question of you @Brigby

A lot of players are now having to climb to places they know they will be attacked in order to lose points, a lot of players are deliberately using week teams to lose points, a lot of players are retreating to lose points. Could you check with the devs that this is the way they intended the game to played after this change? 
  • 8punch
    8punch Posts: 97 Match Maker
    Options
    when i got my 10 CP i had a score of 974 points. so that means for me to get 10 cp in PVP mode i have to do almost double the matches and not even getting that level 4 card.

i end up most of the time in top20 in pvp so getting to 1200 is basicly useless now for me, since i get no cp at 1200. so i just go for 10 cp from now on and wait till the developers change it back into something good again.

• astrp3
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Angjo said:
    If I could ask a question of you @Brigby

A lot of players are now having to climb to places they know they will be attacked in order to lose points, a lot of players are deliberately using week teams to lose points, a lot of players are retreating to lose points. Could you check with the devs that this is the way they intended the game to played after this change? 
    From D3 HQ: Thank you for your feedback, Angio. No, that is not how we intended the game to be played. Rest assured, we will be taking prompt action. Beginning next event, we will be implementing changes that we feel will adequately address your concerns. In the interest of communicating with our players in a more timely fashion, we want to let you know the options we are considering: 1) locking players who engage in such practices out of progression rewards for the event, 2) locking such players out of participation in Versus events for the duration of the season, 3) eliminating the loss of points when retreating or losing with a weak team and awarding maximum points to the opponent of those who do so We are leaning toward option 3 since that benefits everyone and will eliminate what we feel is an egregious violation of the spirit of the game (we don't like people "gaming" the system and are confident that option 3 will severely curtail such practices). Thank you. 

DISCLAIMER: I do not work for D3 or DemiUrge (despite rumors to the contrary). The above is completely false (at least AFAIK) and is intended as humor. 

• NotBAMF
    NotBAMF Posts: 408 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Just as a personal update to where I am at: In the Category-5 event, I am up to the 24 wins award, and I've yet to cross 550 points. So I've gotten well past the 10CP awards whereas under the points system, I wouldn't have even gotten the 10CP yet.

So yeah, I still dig this. *shrug* 
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    NotBAMF said:
    Just as a personal update to where I am at: In the Category-5 event, I am up to the 24 wins award, and I've yet to cross 550 points. So I've gotten well past the 10CP awards whereas under the points system, I wouldn't have even gotten the 10CP yet.

So yeah, I still dig this. *shrug* 
    Are you actually attacking all opponents worth 22ish points?  Or are you losing a lot of points on retaliation strikes?

Are you unable to see higher value opponents, or do you only see higher value opponents that you consider unbeatable?
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    corytutor said:
    Thats not the games fault.

Know your limits and the strength of your roster, buy a shield, and spend some iso to find easier teams. A ton of people grill and at 800 or above they arent hard to find.

Look at your bracket leaderboard. See those guys at top? Pick the ones in top alliances. When they unshield look for them. Theyre worth the most and also the most likely to grill.  
    Did i say it was the games fault? 

Thanks for school lesson though, glad it is outdated now.