Time Gem Season Updates *Updated (10/19/17)

Options

Comments

• Spudgutter
    Spudgutter Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Vhailorx said:
    This is another thing that got me thinking...how many high end players do we hear from that say they play scl6, 7 and 8 to save time and get top rewards?

Scl9 gives 10(i think) cp more than 8 just in total rewards, not including daily, so that has to be even less as it goes down the chain.

I dont mean to assume, but if you are mad about this cp change, but don't play scl9, isn't that a little hypocritical? 
    In short, no.  

Here's why:  the main veteran complaints here focus on moving cp from progression to placement.  Pve CLs ask players to choose between less time/difficulty and extra cp.  The new pvp system is just telling players that only 2% will ever get the best prize (and also asking us to grind 2x for the 4* cover.  But that is an easier fix).  It's not a useful analogy.
    ??

Vhailorx said:

Also, please do the math.  We are talking about 45 cp a week.  That's more than 90 latest legends pulls or 14ish expected 5* covers a year.  This is a fairly big source of cp income for a decent number of veterans.
    So it's ok to be mad that they take CP out of the versus, and it's ok to choose an SCL in story that gives less CP, and there is no relation?

Either CP is the end all resource, and it is your only thing to chase, or it's not.  it can't be both.  maybe they looked at the number of high end people that played down in story mode, and made this decision based partly on that? 

If you don't avail yourself all of the possible choices for CP income in the game, then please don't lecture to others about how much CP you/we are losing with this change.  you might not think it's a good analogy, i think it makes you sound like a hypocrite.  especially when one required absolutely no HP(shield), no outside coordination(line) and could be accomplished but just doing the clears at your own pace(play whenever you want).
  • Spudgutter
    edited October 2017
    Options
    smkspy said:
    smkspy said:
    Seed teams are a joke in standard PvP, it's the first 3 nodes unlike LRS where it can be up to 9.
    I've gotten 9 multiple times in non-LR PVP. I believe it depends completely on the number of players who have already started playing.
    You're a very lucky guy then, I get 3 every single time I get them. 
    I often get none.  They should standardize it.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    smkspy said:
    smkspy said:
    Seed teams are a joke in standard PvP, it's the first 3 nodes unlike LRS where it can be up to 9.
    I've gotten 9 multiple times in non-LR PVP. I believe it depends completely on the number of players who have already started playing.
    You're a very lucky guy then, I get 3 every single time I get them. 
    I often get none.  They should standardize it.
    Seed teams aren't really a right that anyone has. They're just a default defensive team so that you can actually play in a PVP event before the server can match you against other actual defensive teams.

Could be MMR related too, for all I know.
  • astrp3
    astrp3 Posts: 367 Mover and Shaker
    edited October 2017
    Options
    broll said:
    Such a fallacy.  Just because someone is new doesn't mean they aren't paying (and vice versa).  I paid more for this game in my first month than I have most of the rest of the game combined due to spending lots on HP for roster slots.  
    Hear hear. That's been my experience as well. I spent quite a bit on this game, but the vast majority of it was when I was in 2* land (though, as a newbie, I also spent a lot of it poorly). Now, I rarely spend on anything besides VIP and I'm even considering dropping that - not because I'm upset about recent changes, but because it just isn't worth that much to me anymore. 

I can't say whether that's typical or not because I don't have access to their internal data, but I do agree that the idea that veterans or whales spend the bulk of the money that's been spent on this game is far from obviously true - at least to me. It might be true. It might not. And even if individual veterans spend more on the game on average than newbies, it still doesn't mean that collectively, they spend more. If newbies are a significant majority of the player base, their microtransactions could far outweigh the cetacean megatransactions. 

Of course, if that were the case, one might ask why those newbies don't transition into veteran players, but that may be standard for mobile games.
  • RedLion
    RedLion Posts: 70 Match Maker
    Options
    Wow....18 pages deep in less than 24 hours...I think they struck a nerve. 

I don't think this is a hard problem to solve in theory. Give the players a little something here and lower the win total down to 32 and weave some more of that juicy CP into progression (and a little more ISO while you're at it). 

The problem is harder to solve in practice because of the rather hardcore stance that D3 has taken on MMR. 5-stars fighting 5-stars is a lot different experience than Grocket and Gamora tearing up 4-star land. You can't solve the problem for both groups of players because they aren't playing the same game. So what do you do? Open up the MMR for the 5-star teams to run wild on everyone so they can collect their wins instantaneously? Connect SCL to MMR and restrict players to certain SCLs based on roster level? Yikes. Sometimes the devil you know is the better devil.  
  • Milk Jugz
    Milk Jugz Posts: 1,122 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Vhailorx said:
    This is another thing that got me thinking...how many high end players do we hear from that say they play scl6, 7 and 8 to save time and get top rewards?

Scl9 gives 10(i think) cp more than 8 just in total rewards, not including daily, so that has to be even less as it goes down the chain.

I dont mean to assume, but if you are mad about this cp change, but don't play scl9, isn't that a little hypocritical? 
    In short, no.  

Here's why:  the main veteran complaints here focus on moving cp from progression to placement.  Pve CLs ask players to choose between less time/difficulty and extra cp.  The new pvp system is just telling players that only 2% will ever get the best prize (and also asking us to grind 2x for the 4* cover.  But that is an easier fix).  It's not a useful analogy.
    ??

Vhailorx said:

Also, please do the math.  We are talking about 45 cp a week.  That's more than 90 latest legends pulls or 14ish expected 5* covers a year.  This is a fairly big source of cp income for a decent number of veterans.
    So it's ok to be mad that they take CP out of the versus, and it's ok to choose an SCL in story that gives less CP, and there is no relation?

Either CP is the end all resource, and it is your only thing to chase, or it's not.  it can't be both.  maybe they looked at the number of high end people that played down in story mode, and made this decision based partly on that? 

If you don't avail yourself all of the possible choices for CP income in the game, then please don't lecture to others about how much CP you/we are losing with this change.  you might not think it's a good analogy, i think it makes you sound like a hypocrite.  especially when one required absolutely no HP(shield), no outside coordination(line) and could be accomplished but just doing the clears at your own pace(play whenever you want).
    Hate to bust your point but pvp doesn't require any of those to get 1200. I personally get 1200 playing when I want (I've done it with a day left and with 15 minutes left) and I use no outside coordination to do it. I do use shields. However, I've talked to people that have gone straight to 1200+ (in my own alliance) in one sitting, shielding only to preserve placement. So, no, 1200 does not require hp, line, or sticking to a set schedule.
  • corytutor
    corytutor Posts: 414 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    About the money. Yes new players buy. Some buy a lot. As nice as it is though to attract new money, loyal long time players who spend shouldnt have a negative experience when ypu do it, or youre doung it wrong. 
  • Zappa
    Zappa Posts: 102 Tile Toppler
    Options
    All I can say is have fun playing 40 5* matches every single pvp
  • astrp3
    astrp3 Posts: 367 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Vhailorx said:

My best guess would be:

(3) there are many thousands of players with a small number of 5* champs and very deep 4* benches.  This group fills out the top alliances or headlines the top 51-200 alliances.

Geez, I guess this shows how differently people see the game.  I'd be flabbergasted if "many thousands" of players had even a single 5* champ. Not saying you're wrong - it may well be that I'm the one who's wrong and a lot more people play this game than I think.

• corytutor
    corytutor Posts: 414 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Its got a lot of downloads on google. 
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,274 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    24 hours later... no details, no explanation... whatever :D
  • Spudgutter
    Options
    Milk Jugz said:
    Vhailorx said:

In short, no.  

??

Vhailorx said:

Hate to bust your point but pvp doesn't require any of those to get 1200. I personally get 1200 playing when I want (I've done it with a day left and with 15 minutes left) and I use no outside coordination to do it. I do use shields. However, I've talked to people that have gone straight to 1200+ (in my own alliance) in one sitting, shielding only to preserve placement. So, no, 1200 does not require hp, line, or sticking to a set schedule.
    Would it burst your bubble if i told you your experience =/= mine?  Or other peoples?  We've had this discussion before.  When will you realize that you seemed to have lucked into a near perfect set of circumstances, that allow you to accomplish this?  In other words, if it were so darn easy, everyone would do it.  Plenty of people cannot accomplish this, ergo, it is not easy for everyone.

My point overall isnt even the cost associated, but the fact that people are upset that they are "losing" cp, claiming it is the only resource that that they play this game for, while at the same time not going after all the cp they could get.  
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,927 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Milk Jugz said:

1) Sure 5* match damage is off the charts comparatively and, yes, you can have a nice cascade or two and have a quick match. On the flip side, you have those matches that you just can't get your strong matches. The board is flooded with team-up tiles. The AI keeps matching that color you need. Etc. And the matches just. Drag. On. And. On. And. On. Mostly, a 3 match hop without using boosts takes 10-15 minutes. With full 100% match damage boosts inside 5 minutes. I don't use the boosts unless I'm hopping at a busy time.
    But is that exclusively a 5* problem?  I'm sure at any tier, if you have a dry board, matches will no doubt take longer.  I think 5 minutes a match is probably about right at any tier (though I have no research to back this).  Obviously certain characters will speed up a match (Grocket/Guardian at my tier), or slow it down (Carnage / Medusa).

With speed being the main draw of the current (soon to be changing) meta, it'll be nice to see more variety in teams instead of the former on offense and the latter on defense.
  • ComatoseJackal
    ComatoseJackal Posts: 50 Match Maker
    Options
    PVP to me without the cp in progression will become just maintaining a nice enough score for end of season rewards. I don't care about hitting 40 wins for the stupid 4* that I rarely use as it is. Score is the only important thing still. Sucks I'll never get that cp reward though as I don't gun for top 10.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,927 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    astrp3 said:
    broll said:
    Such a fallacy.  Just because someone is new doesn't mean they aren't paying (and vice versa).  I paid more for this game in my first month than I have most of the rest of the game combined due to spending lots on HP for roster slots.  
    Here here. That's been my experience as well. I spent quite a bit on this game, but the vast majority of it was when I was in 2* land (though, as a newbie, I also spent a lot of it poorly). Now, I rarely spend on anything besides VIP and I'm even considering dropping that - not because I'm upset about recent changes, but because it just isn't worth that much to me anymore. 

I can't say whether that's typical or not because I don't have access to their internal data, but I do agree that the idea that veterans or whales spend the bulk of the money that's been spent on this game is far from obviously true - at least to me. It might be true. It might not. And even if individual veterans spend more on the game on average than newbies, it still doesn't mean that collectively, they spend more. If newbies are a significant majority of the player base, their microtransactions could far outweigh the cetacean megatransactions. 

Of course, if that were the case, one might ask why those newbies don't transition into veteran players, but that may be standard for mobile games.
    We don't know that.  All vets were newbies at one time.  I believe every new player has a chance to be the next big whale if a) they have the disposable income and b) you hook them and provide a product interesting enough to get them to open their wallets.  If you turn off new players all together (which PVP has been said to be a turn off for many many players- mostly newer), the well will eventually dry up as you lose older players to attrition. 
  • ComatoseJackal
    ComatoseJackal Posts: 50 Match Maker
    Options
    Also there are 11,834 alliances that completed the Ragin' Cagin pvp. There are thousands of players..lol
  • SangFroid
    SangFroid Posts: 177 Tile Toppler
    Options
    All of the people who are cheering this change will come to hate it as they progress through the game. The way this is being implemented will end up making you enjoy this game a lot less a lot faster for a short term gain. Just know that you are rooting for something that is not in your best interests long term. 
  • ronin_san
    ronin_san Posts: 980 Critical Contributor
    Options
    sinnerjfl said:
    24 hours later... no details, no explanation... whatever :D
    EXACTLY!

They knew exactly what the heck they were doing, when they had @Brigby make the last minute announcement in lieu of "more details to come tomorrow".

Guys. It's past 5PM PST, when Brigby made the announcement yesterday.

* They've prematurely announce the change
    * They're making an edit to the change
    * They're feigning that it's terrible and letting people stew, so the end announcement seems "less" of a loss.

* They've had a meeting and re-considered the change (let me dream).

In any case, Brigby doesn't deserve the flak he got, but they should be ashamed for throwing him out amidst the wolves like this.