Update to Progression Rewards in Story Events (5/18/17)

Options

Comments

• Tee
    Tee Posts: 231 Tile Toppler
    edited May 2017
    Options
    no 4* = not fun.
    I agree with everything else you said but the 4* progression is the same as it was before. Probably even less so, honestly. I barely played the first day and was still able to get Gamora.

It is definitely a change that hurts the more casual of players.

EDIT: With the introduction of hero points to the Deadpool Daily, I should have seen this coming.
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Liftoff said:
    I don't get the 5 clears thing.  After the 4th one you don't get the full points and won't for 24 hours.  So for a 24 hour slice you will never get a full 5 clear.  Doesn't that mean that really you will need to complete all 6 clears because you will never get the full 5th amount?
    It reads as if you need to do a 5th clear but they don't need to be for full points so it wouldn't require a 6th clear to offset that.
  • scottyray1
    scottyray1 Posts: 7 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I dont like the change,  if something comes up you won't be able to reach Max progression and it requires more time.  I have 2 kids and work a second shift job so between all that made it hard to get all of the clears required 

• MissChinch
    MissChinch Posts: 509 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Milk Jugz said:
    Just make the current bracket information show up in game so that you don't have to coordinate or get lucky to jump in a fresh bracket.
    I would really like this change also, it would beat the hell out of waiting for the bracket info to refresh, sometimes its not completely accurate, or refreshes well after the bracket flips. Seems especially so for s4, that seems to be the slowest and least played slice. They tell you how many people are in there once you join, why not show how many are there when you're about to join??

When a new bracket is needed they should split an existing one 500/500 instead of perpetuating this silly bracket sniping mechanic...  It would carry the added benefit of if you play and your bracket splits then your rank jumps halfway to the top, and eliminate the need for bracket tracking.
  • abominatrix
    abominatrix Posts: 221 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I think it's interesting that the first 2 events with this new style are The Hunt and Deadpool, both of which feature 2-day subs. Getting 5 or more clears in a 2 day sub is entirely different than one where all of the subs are daily. I am withholding any statements on this until it hits a 4 or 7 day event with 1 sub/day. 

I'm pretty sure I'll know how I'll feel, but I'll wait until I do. 

If I didn't know better, I'd say this was an intentional decision on the devs part.

• SpringSoldier
    SpringSoldier Posts: 265 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I don't personally have a problem with playing each nod 5 times, however, for the newer players who don't have the 4* needed for the essential nodes, getting the top rewards has gotten considerably harder. I would appreciate a wider variety of PVE missions though to compensate for the boredom one get from fighting the Dark Avengers over and over and over again.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2017
    Options
    FWIW

I half-assed the first sub, only casually clearing the easy and essentials for about 8k points total. 
    Cleared the 2nd sub 4, then the extra 24 hours later for full points, then checkmark + 1 on all of them. 
    3rd sub I had to do 4 clears and green check mark the 3 easy and 2* nodes, that got me progression, at which point I stopped.

(and I'm a Steam player)
    48 hour subs help immensely, since you can space the 5 clears in the middle over 2 days, which makes it easier to do the 6 and get the extra points.  I assume DP vs MPQ will be similarly easy effort wise.  
    My worry would be something like Simulator or other 3 day blitz, but w/ backloaded subs I still think there's enough wiggle to be lazy/late join the early subs and get there as long as you can do one of the late subs complete.
  • DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,369 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Just another data point here. I did reach max progression in the Hunt, but just barely (i didn't have the Gamora required at the start, but earned the progression cover in the 2nd day). I was also so worn out from grinding i promptly quit the app afterwards and didn't reopen it until the day after, making me miss the DDQ for the first time in months.

I don't see myself doing that very often in the future.

Meh. :/
  • Bloody_Marvel
    Bloody_Marvel Posts: 209 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Milk Jugz said:
    Just make the current bracket information show up in game so that you don't have to coordinate or get lucky to jump in a fresh bracket.
    I would really like this change also, it would beat the hell out of waiting for the bracket info to refresh, sometimes its not completely accurate, or refreshes well after the bracket flips. Seems especially so for s4, that seems to be the slowest and least played slice. They tell you how many people are in there once you join, why not show how many are there when you're about to join??
    You don't think this will stagnate signups for current brackets because a lot of people are waiting for the flip?
  • A_McB
    A_McB Posts: 20 Just Dropped In
    Options
    DeNappa said:
    Just another data point here. I did reach max progression in the Hunt, but just barely (i didn't have the Gamora required at the start, but earned the progression cover in the 2nd day). I was also so worn out from grinding i promptly quit the app afterwards and didn't reopen it until the day after, making me miss the DDQ for the first time in months.

I had a similar experience. Although I ate my daily tacos ;-)
  • SpringSoldier
    SpringSoldier Posts: 265 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Personal update about DP vs MPQ; if you play the non-essential nodes 5-6 times, you can still get to max progression easily without all the required characters. If you have all the required characters, you only have to do the easy missions 5 times. It's still taking more to grind than before, but it's do-able even for the newer players. Also, since they're now stretching missions over 2 days, which is good for those lacking in free time.
  • Tee
    Tee Posts: 231 Tile Toppler
    Options
    It's still taking more to grind than before, but it's do-able even for the newer players. Also, since they're now stretching missions over 2 days, which is good for those lacking in free time.
    A newer player will probably dislike the amount of grind in the game in the first place. A buddy of mine was avoiding story missions entirely because that's all it felt like to him. He's been sticking with the Deadpool Daily and hording tokens instead hoping the story missions got less grindy. Needless to say, this update did not change his play style.

And the two day missions are for specific story events. Not all of them will have a two day event.
  • WalrusGooner
    WalrusGooner Posts: 62 Match Maker
    Options
    A McB said:
    DeNappa said:

I had a similar experience. Although I ate my daily tacos ;-)
    Me three -- felt VERY burnt out after The Hunt, and if DP vs. MPQ hadn't opened with a 2-Day sub, I probably wouldn't have come close to max progression in it. As it was, I ended up less than 1k short due to starting my last grind late. I am NOT enjoying this new structure, and will probably be scaling back my play in the near future. Very disappointing.
  • Theovo
    Theovo Posts: 10 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Theovo said:
    It's all been said already, but I have to add my complaint to the list. These are terrible changes for the casual PVE player. My CP income has taken a huge hit because of how backloaded the progression rewards are. I could casually play 1 or 2 clears and walk away with 10 CP, plus whatever I was lucky enough to get through the intercepts. Now I have to bust my butt for 8? (This is based on The Hunt, of course, but I assume distribution will be similar for other events.) I remember being very please with the initial change from 25 CP for top progression to the 5/5/15 system we just walked away from. I'm in a PVP alliance, and we're all in agreement this is a step backward for anything but full clears. Please consider going back to something similar in terms of CP distribution! @Brigby
    As a follow up after actually playing a few events: 

It's worse than I had hoped. Far too much grinding for far too little reward. The backloading is supposed to work as a shiny carrot, but it really functions as a distant, unattainable goal. I may stick with it during the off-season, but I'll give up once PVP starts back up.
  • MissChinch
    MissChinch Posts: 509 Critical Contributor
    Options

This is closely coupled with the elimination of roster based scaling in PvE...  both this issue and dropping scaling depend on well tweaked rewards.  Placing the bulk of the progression reward value behind 5 clears means people will target easier enemies (lower SCLs) if the rewards are worthwhile. 

If I only have an hour to spend I'm best off picking the highest SCL level in which I can complete all 45 battles in an hour.  This is fine if its the desired behavior, if not the rewards need tweaking to put more value earlier in the progression ramp for the event to encourage players to play SCLs that take longer for them to complete... 

I'd love to see all the progression rewards from the previous SCL obtained in the first 60% of progression rewards in the current SCL...  A system like that would make it easy to target whatever is most time effective while providing incentive to play higher SCLs...

• keitterman
    keitterman Posts: 127 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I dislike the change to 5 required, but with the removal of scaling, I understand it a bit more. With the scaling change, I can clear a board crazy fast, but that's b/c removing scaling benefited me. Not everyone is rolling with high-level 5*'s

I wouldn't join a SCL lower than the max available to me, so if I was still working on champing my first couple 4*'s, I would have joined 8, and been fairly frustrated with these changes. 

I think they should have left it at 4, removed scaling, and added a new game feature for people to throw their 5*'s at. As is, it's really difficult to find anything that consumes health-packs when you have 5*'s. Even PvP takes me a few hours to use them all up. If I with 5-10 more from Tacos? it will be a few days before I'm hurting for health packs. 
  • biryon
    biryon Posts: 148 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I haven't seen anyone mention the fact that they completely removed the AP boost and health pack from progression. I don't think they're as big a deal as the CP being moved, but I also can't fathom why they were just removed entirely.