Magnetic Mayhem Feb 19- Feb 21

Comments

• It's probably either Magneto, like the Wolverine tourney, where you had to pick which version you were using.
  • Unknown
    edited February 2014
    Ghast wrote:
    The Thor sequel hits Blu-Ray on the 25th. I suspect Psylocke will be the reward for back-to-back Big Thunder tournaments or another Divine tournament next week.
    Next week would be way too soon to see Psylocke as a reward for a PvP tourney. Next weekend at the earliest, and most likely not more than 1-2 covers as progression rewards. I think they'll most likely have her as a buffed character in the next event (pve or pvp) to give a leg up to those who spent the time in the current event (with those who weren't lucky/good enough to get her in this event able to get 1-2 of her as progression rewards in the next).

It would be a huge slap in the face to all the people who grinded the PvE tourney for more than a week to just hand her out less than a week later in a 3 day pvp tourney. PvP tourneys generally have more generous placement rewards (Blind Justice has top 45 out of 500 getting a 3*, vs. Sim's top 75 of 1000).
  • Now to figure out if i want to pump more iso into Mags... he's 77 right now but facing the impending nerf bat. I really want to since he is a really good compliment to Punisher (covers 2 colors that Punisher doesn't have, and his attacks are spammable), but that might not be true after nerfs occur so its probably best to be safe.

I think you're fairly safe pumping ISO into Mags. If Wolverine is an indication, his Red will be costed to 6 AP (maybe 5 because he's a 3* character?), and in any case, the next patch has the much-wanted respec option. He's certainly not going to be useless!
  • Marquoz wrote:
    Where did you see this announced? It's not in the "News and Announcements" subforum.

It's in the in-game news that gets displayed when you start the game.
  • bughunt wrote:
    Marquoz wrote:
    Where did you see this announced? It's not in the "News and Announcements" subforum.

It's in the in-game news that gets displayed when you start the game.

Ah, okay. Thanks!
  • MMN at lvl 50 (he was my first **cover, I spend a lot of time with him back at the beginning), so I think I'll take my chances with this tournament. Iron Hammer + Polarity Shift FTW!
    MMN + OBW + Wolvie** and I think I'll dealing a lot of dmg per turn (boosted blue and purple matches from MMN + extra dmg from Espionage + even more extra dmg from Strike Tiles).
  • Hopefully the 4**** is a red or yellow wolvie so I actually give an f about this lol. Also...hulk.as the 3*** would be nice if they don't wanna do psylocke yet (who h I assume as per usual won't be available until after the pve ends)
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
    Are the devs going to heavily promote Magneto right before nerfing him? Or will they nerf him right in the middle of the tournament? I much preferred how they nerfed Venom -- they didn't highlight Venom anywhere for awhile, then they changed Devour. No fuss. People care about the character they're using a lot more than the characters on the sidelines. Ragnarok, Thor, and Wolverine all got nerfs after majorly forcing their usage.

On the other hand, the Magneto discussions show about 20 ways classic Mags could be nerfed, and they aren't too bad. He's a strong character, and his 2AP Red power is his least powerful power. No matter how they change him, he'll likely still be a good board controller.
  • Are the devs going to heavily promote Magneto right before nerfing him? Or will they nerf him right in the middle of the tournament? I much preferred how they nerfed Venom -- they didn't highlight Venom anywhere for awhile, then they changed Devour. No fuss. People care about the character they're using a lot more than the characters on the sidelines. Ragnarok, Thor, and Wolverine all got nerfs after majorly forcing their usage.

On the other hand, the Magneto discussions show about 20 ways classic Mags could be nerfed, and they aren't too bad. He's a strong character, and his 2AP Red power is his least powerful power. No matter how they change him, he'll likely still be a good board controller.

I'm in favor of changing c.magneto not because I think he needs to be nerfed, but because he's more annoying than daken and bullseye together.
  • Just for the record, Marvel Now Magneto is easily the most underappreciated 2* character out there. His blue is too situational but his red is AMAZING (when the AI doesn't put the tile in play on an side of the board). Now it's a 1-turn countdown tile. How easy is it to pair 2* magneto with Hood, and use Intimidation to make that tile go off in the same turn.

Magnetic Flux (4/5)
    11 Red AP
    Destroys a 3x3 block (the 8 surrounding tiles), generating AP & deals an additional 1855 damage to target

Magnetic Flux (5/5)
    14 Red AP
    Destroys 5x5 block (the 24 surrounding tiles), generating AP & deals an additional (at least 1855) damage to target

(I recall that the red countdown timer counts as 1 RED AP)

From a perfectly placed tile AP gain is better than:
    10 Green M.Storm Lightning Strike (1.6 AP earned per AP spent)
    21 Green C.Storm Lightning Storm (1.75 AP earned per AP spent)

14 Red Marvel Now Magneto Magnetic Flux (1.79 AP earned per AP spent) AND (1855 Damage + ~600 Tile Damage)
    This ability is awesome, like C.Storm Wind Storm awesome
  • starsrift wrote:
    Now to figure out if i want to pump more iso into Mags... he's 77 right now but facing the impending nerf bat. I really want to since he is a really good compliment to Punisher (covers 2 colors that Punisher doesn't have, and his attacks are spammable), but that might not be true after nerfs occur so its probably best to be safe.

I think you're fairly safe pumping ISO into Mags. If Wolverine is an indication, his Red will be costed to 6 AP (maybe 5 because he's a 3* character?), and in any case, the next patch has the much-wanted respec option. He's certainly not going to be useless!

Yup, and I think they might reduce his Purple damage a little (it can do around 9k damage at max level). Still, I think he should still be a pretty powerful character and I'm happy to carry on levelling mine from 70 upwards.
  • akboyce
    akboyce Posts: 283 Mover and Shaker
    Bugpop wrote:
    Just for the record, Marvel Now Magneto is easily the most underappreciated 2* character out there.

I think the main reason for this is he has not been featured (correct me if I am wrong) in a single tournament thus far. I think he is one of the few (perhaps the only one since Bag-man was even buffed in PVE) to never have an event that heavily encouraged him. I know when I am forced to use someone I tend to invest ISO and learn the character. This will probably be the first time I am tempted to use or level MN Mags. I just hope he is buffed more than Classic Mags otherwise I will just use classic since an investment in Classic will help in LRs as well.
  • If you combine him with the Hood, the two can rake in AP like crazy. That Red ability is to be feared.
  • Tournament active. High rewards are Punisher.

There's a blue C Mags at 1200 progression. Might have to pump ISO into my MN Magneto, though my C Mags is finally 13/13.
  • Wait is this PVP? There's a match before it to enter that gets you a MN Mags cover!

They should do this with every tournament!
  • Free blue mn.Mags just to enter? Sure, why not.

Too bad I don't need it or the Punisher. Another tank tourney for me.
  • Shame about the awards, I have all the Punisher covers already. But, I still want to play around with 2* Magneto.
  • Oh boy more Punisher rewards, as if the large amount of tournaments rewarding him in January weren't enough. Forget offering Hulk as a reward, people need dat Punisher.
  • Free blue mn.Mags just to enter? Sure, why not.

Too bad I don't need it or the Punisher. Another tank tourney for me.

Same, but I guess I'm going to be saying that until Psylocke is a reward...
  • So by them giving away a free cover, does that mean they won't be providing a default character for use?

While I do like being given a cover (despite having MNMags cover maxed already), if no default character is provided, then you'll have to strive to keep him alive and healed if you want to keep playing in the PVP. Even if I had a single cover character, I would always use the default one so as not to worry about having to heal if he got knocked out. Interesting change. We'll have to see how it pans out.