How do we kill Galactus now that we've all tried it?

Comments

• CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    True, but there's a question of whether the board is destroyed before or after dealing 1 million damage to the team, because either allows for some measure of last-gasp strategy.

If the damage registers first, Shadow Step should protect Elektra from it (although she'll still take damage from Galactus effectively matching the entire board).
    If the board destruction happens first, it should trigger any active Countdown For What tiles as a last-ditch attack from X-Force Deadpool.
  • In round 4, I was 4 for 5 with PX/GSBW/SW.

First time I faced him was with XF/cMags/Loki and I didn't know what to expect. He got 30 black pretty fast.

Last match against Galactus I lost because I couldn't get enough purple before he went off on me.
  • Deimos12
    Deimos12 Posts: 230 Tile Toppler
    All you guys talking about round 3 and up strategy and I'm stuck in the corner having used all my attacks in rounds 1 & 2 BECAUSE NO EXPLAINED HOW THIS STUPID CATASTROPHE OF AN EVENT WAS ACTUALLY SUPPOSED TO WORK!!!! Not that I'm angry about it or anything.
  • GuntherBlobel
    GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
    I'm using Prof X right now (round 3). You can really set up those 5-matches nicely without Galactus ruining your plans.

Not an idea for everyone though... Fun if you like the puzzle element. I found a less-than-obvious 5-match and that just made my day.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm using Prof X right now (round 3). You can really set up those 5-matches nicely without Galactus ruining your plans.

Not an idea for everyone though... Fun if you like the puzzle element. I found a less-than-obvious 5-match and that just made my day.
    I found that by the time I got gsbw ready, the board was too full of cds/cosmics/TUs and I couldn't make match-5s like I normally would. with a clear board I could have made some magic happen (not using px, but a different team), but as it was, not so much.
  • thisone
    thisone Posts: 655 Critical Contributor
    Beaten round 4 big g several times.

3 things are key.

1. Fast casting abilities ie torch
    2. Board shaker
    3. Ap boosts or ap feeder.

People with 1-2 are nice ie cmags or fist 1-3

Definitely an element of luck involved though.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    was locked out. On Round 4.

Galactus drops 2-2count CD's per turn. Those EACH create 3 cosmic tiles when they activate, each cosmic tile gives him 3 AP each one.

That's 9AP for every CD if you can't match it or the cosmic tile away. On a really bad board, that's 18 AP for each turn of his. Thus the turn 4 or 5 Insta-Kill if you can't match the CD or the Cosmic tile away immediately.

I've wiped every time so far. And I did use She-Hulk and got a nice match 4 and ended up with 12 Green AP by turn 3... and two Furious Charges... took everything but Red and Black... ugh. Dead the next turn.
  • MarvelMan
    MarvelMan Posts: 1,350
    thisone wrote:

This. So much this.

And WTFrick? This is marvel PUZZLE quest....not LUCK quest. Its why I quit Candy Crush: there were a few levels where I started, checked the board and quit without making a move. When things become too much about luck, it ruins the game. There have to be ways to make the game more difficult without it devolving into purely luck.
  • GuntherBlobel
    GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
    edited October 2015
    TxMoose wrote:

I found that by the time I got gsbw ready, the board was too full of cds/cosmics/TUs and I couldn't make match-5s like I normally would. with a clear board I could have made some magic happen (not using px, but a different team), but as it was, not so much.
    Right. Yeah, so I'm talking about straight up scanning the board and identifying match-5s that you can hit in that turn or the next. Some boards there will be none, so you take that risk. But if you find one, it often leads to multiple match-5s and for 0 AP.
  • stochasticism
    stochasticism Posts: 1,181 Chairperson of the Boards
    thisone wrote:

3 things are key.

2. Board shaker

So what was your actual team that you used?

Torch/cmags/fist?

Torches fast ability and cmags big shake conflict on red so that doesn't work out so well.
  • thisone
    thisone Posts: 655 Critical Contributor
    thisone wrote:

3 things are key.

2. Board shaker

So what was your actual team that you used?

Torch/cmags/fist?

Torches fast ability and cmags big shake conflict on red so that doesn't work out so well.

Used several teams, those are examples of who to use in a team.

cmags/patch/cage
    torch/loki/hood
    daken/blade/fist
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm thinking fist/mags/either xfw or Cyclops. my xfw is only 140 but does have 5 black, so need to see which one does more damage with xf boosted. problem is, you have 4-5 turns. 2 turns to get mags red. 1 turn to get one fist purple ready. that better lead to more ap or your close to toast at that point.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have been using goon team of OBW, Steve Rogers and Mohawk with +2 boosts for all colors.

I have not lost yet out of the 5 times I was able to face him. OBW can increase the CDs and steal black AP with her purple and black ability, Rogers red shield does high damage and clears some CD or cosmic tiles, and Mohawk can clear the board with cascades from her yellow and green plus her black does high damage each turn. However, I was hoping her black attack tiles would clog the board so no cosmic tiles could be placed but of course the cosmic tiles can replace the them!

I swear the devs thought of every single trick and ability we could use against Galactus.. doesn't help that players yelped about their strategies on the forums so the devs could tinker the Galactus node, such as She Hulk's green now being almost useless since Galactus can gain 2AP of each color instead of just Black like it was originally supposed to do.

Also, now I know why several CD-removal abilities were recently removed (She Hulk, Doc Ock and 4hor) and why Jean Grey's ability no longer targets special tiles.
  • I've had the best success with OBW/Patch/Cage, with a main goal of "Get a Beserker Rage out ASAP, and match Blue, Purple, and Black for double OBW damage and to help stall the inevitable. Cage can throw cheap punches too I guess"

I want to bring Torch Classic but he ends up taking for OBW's black, and I lack a Loki or Iron Fist to give me some good board shakeups, as much as I need em. Hood and LCap are too slow to help too.

So I'm hoping or a Beserker Barrage and in later rounds, even if I wipe, it'll hopefully be after I did decent damage at least.
  • loroku
    loroku Posts: 1,014 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have been using goon team of OBW, Steve Rogers and Mohawk with +2 boosts for all colors.
    Sounds like a good team but how do you actually do damage? Cap red is about the only thing that puts damage on the table, and you need a LOT.

Also, good to know OBW can steal black and that will slow him down!
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Esheris wrote:
    I haven't tried it yet...but can Elektra survive if she has a Shadow Step tile out?

Great question, but I don't know that I am willing to throw away an ultron match just to find out. Does some one have an alt account with elektra?
  • loroku
    loroku Posts: 1,014 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Esheris wrote:
    I haven't tried it yet...but can Elektra survive if she has a Shadow Step tile out?

Great question, but I don't know that I am willing to throw away an ultron match just to find out. Does some one have an alt account with elektra?
    According to other threads no.

Not sure if anyone has tried it or they just know because they noticed he explodes the board and THEN kills you, which would kill her tiles. Same as Invisible Woman's invisibility.

Also, Fastball Special - the only thing that actually removes someone from the game entirely without relying on a tile - has been reported not to work.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2015
    Did they play test this after Round 4?

If yes... was it before or after the multiple changes to his attacks that they did in the last 18 hours before the event started?
  • Blahahah
    Blahahah Posts: 738 Critical Contributor
    People complaining about it being too hard...

THIS IS GALACTUS. DEVOURER OF WORLDS.

That 5* Silver surfer everyone was dropping bricks over is his HENCHMAN.

WEILDER OF THE POWER COSMIC! Just a fraction of his power creates world-destroying monsters.

He fights with Odin, the all-father, and bodies him. He fights celestials and it takes 3 of them fused to contend with him.

He made the Ultimate Nullifier, an artifact so POWERFUL... so POTENT... It can erase and rewrite the multiverse.

His house is stated by the top minds of Marvel to be the SINGLE BIGGEST SOURCE OF ENERGY IN EXISTANCE.

And you know that electicity bill is no joke, but he still works his 9-5 eating planets to pay that off.

You're tinykitty RIGHT he is hard. He is supposed to be hard. The man devours everything... Your roster will share the same fate. icon_evil.gif
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Blahahah wrote:
    THIS IS GALACTUS. DEVOURER OF WORLDS.
    No, it's a game that's supposed to have attainable goals. Between the 8 hr lockouts, and the difficulty level, this one feels a lot like that run of Ultron that was tuned to the point where only 1 or 2 alliances were able to complete it.