How do we kill Galactus now that we've all tried it?

Comments

• Winfinite with mystique, magneto 2, cyclops
  • Jurippe
    Jurippe Posts: 13 Just Dropped In
    I'm with JTMagee in rings. I went px, switch, and Jean grey. So far Cosmic Sugar hasn't touched me except for the one time I left human torch in by accident.

Hopefully this will work in round 5.
  • DrStrange-616
    DrStrange-616 Posts: 993 Critical Contributor
    Can one of you mathy types work out if it's even possible to get 1.25M during this event?
  • franckynight
    franckynight Posts: 582 Critical Contributor
    Jurippe wrote:
    I'm with JTMagee in rings. I went px, switch, and Jean grey. So far Cosmic Sugar hasn't touched me except for the one time I left human torch in by accident.

Hopefully this will work in round 5.
    unfortunately it wont (at least it wont be an automatic win like in previous rounds)..2 turn cd wont let you any chance..
  • emaker27
    emaker27 Posts: 285 Mover and Shaker
    I recently had success in round 5 with Patch, Fist, and Daken.

1. Boost and collect green immediately (except for match 5s)
    2. Fire Patch green
    3. Match CDs and cosmics
    4. Fire Fist purpletile.png for cascades/damage
    5. Fire Daken blue one turn before dying

At least for this round, the match damage due to strike tiles, and Fist's attack tile is enough to either deal significant damage or outright win.
  • Buret0 wrote:
    Buret0 wrote:
    About to jump back in. I'm going to use Surfer as a tinykitty to Galactus.

Just did six clears with no problem using XFW/IF/Surfer.

Match damage from Surfer on those black tiles does wonders... haven't had to use an AP boost or a match damage boost yet, but if the difficulty ramps up I'm guessing that black match damage + All AP boost + black/green AP boost will become necessary to avoid catastrophe.

If your Surfer is three covers or less, probably just use Scarlet Witch.

LMAO. This is fantastic. Solution to actually being able to play their anniversary event that happens once a year - use the 5* that <1% of players have any covers for. Thanks D3.
  • CoffigDarkGravity
    CoffigDarkGravity Posts: 37 Just Dropped In
    On round 5 now, my only galactus wins have been with obw/kingpin/lazyThor, and only when I get lucky with a few match 5s.
  • nwman
    nwman Posts: 331 Mover and Shaker
    Px sw gsbw worked 1 in 5 so far on round 5.

Worst event ever.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Buret0 wrote:
    Buret0 wrote:
    About to jump back in. I'm going to use Surfer as a tinykitty to Galactus.

Just did six clears with no problem using XFW/IF/Surfer.

Match damage from Surfer on those black tiles does wonders... haven't had to use an AP boost or a match damage boost yet, but if the difficulty ramps up I'm guessing that black match damage + All AP boost + black/green AP boost will become necessary to avoid catastrophe.

If your Surfer is three covers or less, probably just use Scarlet Witch.

LMAO. This is fantastic. Solution to actually being able to play their anniversary event that happens once a year - use the 5* that <1% of players have any covers for. Thanks D3.

Switch doesn't work against round 5 ultron. waiting 4 turns to maybe get some purple is too slow. he makes 8 cosmic tiles starting on round 3, plus whatever he gets from cascade. it is entirely possible to wipe before Switch's countdown resolves once.

Still trying to figure out other strategies.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    emaker27 wrote:
    I recently had success in round 5 with Patch, Fist, and Daken.

1. Boost and collect green immediately (except for match 5s)
    2. Fire Patch green
    3. Match CDs and cosmics
    4. Fire Fist purpletile.png for cascades/damage
    5. Fire Daken blue one turn before dying

At least for this round, the match damage due to strike tiles, and Fist's attack tile is enough to either deal significant damage or outright win.
    Death is but the next great adventure!!
  • SirLanik
    SirLanik Posts: 345 Mover and Shaker
    Absolutely getting slaughtered. Haven't found a team that isn't dead by turn 5. If you match colors for your powers, he gets AP and kills you. If you try and match countdown and cosmic, you get overrun from not using your powers to kill him.

Brutal brutal event that is unfun to play just 8 hours in, at this rate the next few days of Galactus will ensure I just give up entirely.
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Switch doesn't work against round 5 ultron. waiting 4 turns to maybe get some purple is too slow. he makes 8 cosmic tiles starting on round 3, plus whatever he gets from cascade. it is entirely possible to wipe before Switch's countdown resolves once.

Has anyone tried using Captain Falcon to speed up the blue CD tile?
  • Ludaa
    Ludaa Posts: 542
    Round 5 here. Using XF/Fist/Scarlet and g/b, b/p, +all boosts to reliably beat him. I say reliably only because I've had good boards so far... Wiped once in Round 4 when one of his tiles popped and created a black cascade which let him end the match. **** token RNG AND **** event RNG, how fun!
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Buret0 wrote:
    Vhailorx wrote:

Has anyone tried using Captain Falcon to speed up the blue CD tile?

That would work to get the one cooldown off, but to what end? one of her countdown tiles generally isn't enough to win the game outright. Especially not in combination with 4* falcon.
  • Won 5/6 times in round 5 after losing 3 times in round 4 with SW, GSBW, and PX.
  • mjh
    mjh Posts: 708 Critical Contributor
    Galactus should be hard, very hard to beat but this is just absurd. His difficulty as round 5 should be what he is in the last round. I highly doubt any testing was done here.
  • damienroc
    damienroc Posts: 1 Just Dropped In
    Wooodd wrote:
    I'm firmly in 2* land so there's little to no chance of me downing him now were in round 3. He gets his 30 blacks before I can get enough for any of my moves. Sure I've had tinykitty luck with the opening board, but still.

Is his CD's starting at 2 instead of 3 a bug or is the description wrong? I think round 1 was the same, 3 instead of 4.

Either way I'll keep poking him, every point helps.

I only got one victory in round 3. My roster was, I think, **OBW, **Wolvie, and **Ms. Marvel. Basically lucky enough to get a timer and drain off of OBW to fuel the other two doing big hits.

It wasn't guaranteed, though. A previous attempt with the team died fast.

I doubt I'll be able to do anything for Round 4 on up. Sad that these boss events don't roster scale. (But I've got a single SS cover, so the scaling's screwed up for me anyway.)
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    I had surprising success with Fist/XFW/Torch. Boosted all AP, R/Y AP and B/P AP. Match a purple first and fire fist to start a hopeful black cascade. Surgical Strike does about half his health in round 5 and maybe finish with a fireball or fist's attack tile. Worked 3 out of 5 times in round 5.
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    Orion wrote:
    I had surprising success with Fist/XFW/Torch. Boosted all AP, R/Y AP and B/P AP. Match a purple first and fire fist to start a hopeful black cascade. Surgical Strike does about half his health in round 5 and maybe finish with a fireball or fist's attack tile. Worked 3 out of 5 times in round 5.

Yeah, the trick seems to be keeping enough blue out there for SS to do some damage. Starting with 4 purple and Fist got me enough to do 2 SS in a row, but you need blue back. Not enough purple AP to also use Iceman to get the purple back or 4Pool to get the CD4W tiles.

I bet a high level OML would be great. All that black damage and free strike tiles whenever you fire off IF. Too bad he's so new and rare.
  • So, now that the people with the insane 5* that no one has yet have spoken, here's a 3* combo that works pretty well:
    SW/GSBW/Mohawk (or 2storm)
    Get 11 purple for GSBW, fill out green, use Mohawk green and yellow, save black, repeat. once you have enough black for 2 hailstorms, use it to fill the board. Use GSBW red to clear some space and take out any new countdown tiles. Repeat, or just keep using the purple and green. I've won 2 out of 3 on round 5 so far with this. Round 5 is absolutely crazy though. 2 countdown tiles, 2 turns each, cosmic tiles generate 3AP. Every other combo I've tried is about 30% success. Rounds 6-8 are going to be nigh impossible.