Blind Justice - PvP Tournament

Options

Comments

• Unknown
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    starsrift wrote:
    So, I have a question. I took my higher level 2* characters up to grab 300 pts and get the token, and then switched to my set of underleveled 3* characters to tank a loss.

So I'm sitting there at ~300 points, with a team that has its highest level in the 30's. Am I defending only with the team that last -won- a match, or that last -fought- a match? Because next to nobody has been attacking me!

We don't really know, due to the difficulty of figuring this out (you can't easily ask someone who just attacked you who they saw, and you certainly can't ask the guys who skipped you what they saw), but we think it's the last team that won a match. It used to be the last team you played a match (losing is fine), but seeing there's no obvious tank team anymore while people are still trying to tank, we can rule that out as a possibility. It can still be something else (say, the team you won the most with), but at that point it's pretty much impossible to verify.

Further confusing the issue, you can -lose- a match to gain a bracket placement. In other words, the system registers you with a team that loses a match. Does winning a match trump it?

OKAY SOMEONE FIND ME ON THEIR DARN QUEUE, SAME USERNAME icon_razz.gif.

Edit: The irony here is that Dr. Doom is one of the two 3-star characters I've so far thrown away covers for, and I'm currently ~30th in my tournament rank. icon_e_wink.gif
  • joshvox wrote:
    Fairly lame tournament. Usual team features a lv. 15 DD who is useless, I have a lv. 18 who is also useless. If you don't get top 45 you are stuck with Moonstone covers. Not that Dr. Doom is that useful either. I'm going to get the 300 pt. token and then quit most likely. If I can't get to top 45, I'd rather finish in top 250 and get the 3 standard tokens. At least then you have a (pretty small) chance of getting something useful.

Awful weekend for puzzle quest. No PvE, **** PvP tourney, and a buy-in tourney. icon_rolleyes.gif
    Weekend? Try third week with no PvE, if you couldn't/wouldn't play TaT and Oscorp. I liked TaT, but I'm keeping that to myself. Oops! Puzzle Quest is good. I bet you haven't maxed every class yet.

We know they want participation data with nothing much else going on for the new buy-in format, especially now they've taken Thorverine away so Joe Average mostly won't expect to have a shot at really high placement. Keeping the weekend clear of anything else besides a tournament featuring a character no one has with prizes no one wants is a pretty smart way to get it. Assuming you discount us sodding off in droves to play Hearthstone and Marvel Heroes instead, at least, but as long as we come back it's not as if that actually matters.

They do just about always feature new characters, to be fair; gets everyone trying them out and it's a fairly transparent way to sell some higher chance of/includes a guaranteed pulls and packs, which presumably works or they'd be trying something else by now. There do seem to have been even fewer prior chances than usual to get DDs, especially considering where he came from.
    I think a high-level Daredevil is more of a deterrent than most think(especially to those not on the forums) because of how scary that red is, even only at level 1, and his buffed HP.
    I think people will be freaked by a maxed red, but you can't conclude much from it in this context. He's buffed, and basically everyone else is using Daregimp, of course nearly everyone'll skip you. It's like you entered a 2* tournament with a sack of 141 HP-bags.
  • The pace of this tournament is very different than normal. Basically once the other team hits 7r you have to make your move soon because Ambush is just a huge threat. I ended up having to Berserker Rage -> stunlock way earlier than I'd like (when it's not clear you got enough blue to stun the whole team).
  • I just got my 300 token, and pulled my third red Daredevil, which was a nice surprise (I was expecting the typical 2* autosell). But - at 38th level, unbuffed, and I plan on leveling him - that red does over 1700 damage if triggered. I could see that being a deterrent, especially buffed.
  • Moral
    Moral Posts: 512
    Options
    starsrift wrote:
    Phantron wrote:
    starsrift wrote:
    So, I have a question. I took my higher level 2* characters up to grab 300 pts and get the token, and then switched to my set of underleveled 3* characters to tank a loss.

So I'm sitting there at ~300 points, with a team that has its highest level in the 30's. Am I defending only with the team that last -won- a match, or that last -fought- a match? Because next to nobody has been attacking me!

We don't really know, due to the difficulty of figuring this out (you can't easily ask someone who just attacked you who they saw, and you certainly can't ask the guys who skipped you what they saw), but we think it's the last team that won a match. It used to be the last team you played a match (losing is fine), but seeing there's no obvious tank team anymore while people are still trying to tank, we can rule that out as a possibility. It can still be something else (say, the team you won the most with), but at that point it's pretty much impossible to verify.

Further confusing the issue, you can -lose- a match to gain a bracket placement. In other words, the system registers you with a team that loses a match. Does winning a match trump it?

OKAY SOMEONE FIND ME ON THEIR DARN QUEUE, SAME USERNAME icon_razz.gif.

Edit: The irony here is that Dr. Doom is one of the two 3-star characters I've so far thrown away covers for, and I'm currently ~30th in my tournament rank. icon_e_wink.gif

In the Victory Rewards thread, IceX suggested that losing by death of all characters was necessary (talking about resetting the victory bonus). A retreat did not lock in the battling team or reset the bonus.
  • DirigiblePilot
    DirigiblePilot Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Veracity wrote:
    I think a high-level Daredevil is more of a deterrent than most think(especially to those not on the forums) because of how scary that red is, even only at level 1, and his buffed HP.
    I think people will be freaked by a maxed red, but you can't conclude much from it in this context. He's buffed, and basically everyone else is using Daregimp, of course nearly everyone'll skip you. It's like you entered a 2* tournament with a sack of 141 HP-bags.

It's not that drastic, though. I mean, Daredevil has only a tiny bit more HP than OBW, and the red does about 1400 buffed. Especially if they have Wolverine, Classic Storm, etc., which they usually do, the red shouldn't be THAT bad. It's easy to not match environments, and the blue sucks at level 1. Sure, for all those people with ~1800 health heroes, that looks unappealing, but I'm at over 500 points and starting to face better and better people, so I'm surprised that not more people have been going for the points.
  • It's not that drastic, though. I mean, Daredevil has only a tiny bit more HP than OBW, and the red does about 1400 buffed. Especially if they have Wolverine, Classic Storm, etc., which they usually do, the red shouldn't be THAT bad. It's easy to not match environments, and the blue sucks at level 1. Sure, for all those people with ~1800 health heroes, that looks unappealing, but I'm at over 500 points and starting to face better and better people, so I'm surprised that not more people have been going for the points.
    It's relative, is all I meant. When very nearly everyone is basically using a 2-person team, why bother attacking a trio for similar points? No Skip Tax^W^WVictory Bonus yet, so all it's costing to go "pfff, nah" is a click. Fair enough if you're ahead of the pack and worth more, though. I'd hit you.
  • DirigiblePilot
    DirigiblePilot Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Veracity wrote:
    It's not that drastic, though. I mean, Daredevil has only a tiny bit more HP than OBW, and the red does about 1400 buffed. Especially if they have Wolverine, Classic Storm, etc., which they usually do, the red shouldn't be THAT bad. It's easy to not match environments, and the blue sucks at level 1. Sure, for all those people with ~1800 health heroes, that looks unappealing, but I'm at over 500 points and starting to face better and better people, so I'm surprised that not more people have been going for the points.
    It's relative, is all I meant. When very nearly everyone is basically using a 2-person team, why bother attacking a trio for similar points? No Skip Tax^W^WVictory Bonus yet, so all it's costing to go "pfff, nah" is a click. Fair enough if you're ahead of the pack and worth more, though. I'd hit you.

Ah ok, I didn't quite get what you were saying before. Yes, a 3-person team vs. 2 does not seem to be the best matchup for them.
    Oh well. I won't try to steal X-Force from anyone, but I'm certainly taking advantage of my (really what was just luck) to grab some Doomy-doom-dooms icon_twisted.gif
  • I don't get the scare factor of DD. Especially the red with trap getting just overwritten by anything that puts something on red tiles -- Wol**, punisher, daken and many others, hardly underused characters. I'd be more scared of walking into any of the red direct shots, we have them starting at mere 8 and much harder to avoid.
  • pasa_ wrote:
    I don't get the scare factor of DD. Especially the red with trap getting just overwritten by anything that puts something on red tiles -- Wol**, punisher, daken and many others, hardly underused characters. I'd be more scared of walking into any of the red direct shots, we have them starting at mere 8 and much harder to avoid.

DD is viable when he has a tank in front of him. This tourney isn't utilizing his strength, because very few are actually using him. He's a third wheel. A DD, Hulk, Hood team; for example, would be devastating on defense. Hood stealing AP and Twin Pistols, DD setting traps, and the mountain that is the Hulk Thunderclapping causing cascades destroying traps and giving you more AP to replace them.
  • Koolbiird wrote:
    pasa_ wrote:
    I don't get the scare factor of DD. Especially the red with trap getting just overwritten by anything that puts something on red tiles -- Wol**, punisher, daken and many others, hardly underused characters. I'd be more scared of walking into any of the red direct shots, we have them starting at mere 8 and much harder to avoid.

DD is viable when he has a tank in front of him. This tourney isn't utilizing his strength, because very few are actually using him. He's a third wheel. A DD, Hulk, Hood team; for example, would be devastating on defense. Hood stealing AP and Twin Pistols, DD setting traps, and the mountain that is the Hulk Thunderclapping causing cascades destroying traps and giving you more AP to replace them.

Oh yeah, Hulk is another one who just overwrites the tiles to green, say goodbye to trap without any effect.

Just saw a thread that suggests to add some power to DD, mainly to do something when the traps gets disarmed too. With those modifications he'd be actually interesting.
  • The guys who can reliably override red tiles aren't exactly the strong characters (Daken, Dr. Doom, Modern Storm, Wolverine 2*).

If you're talking about random override the chance of that happening is small, and you can also accidentally cascade into a red with any random overwrite tiles.

Punisher hits 9 squares out of 64 and then overrides 3 squares, so it's basically 1/5 that he'd happen to hit the correct one. It's hardly a reliable way to override red, but it's a decent side effect when facing Daredevil.

You don't have to be scared of Daredevil but his red is not as easy as you think to avoid unless you've one of those 4 characters above, but if you're running one of those 4 guys instead of your usual guys, that usually means you're giving Daredevil a lot of respect already. Out of those characters, only Wolverine 2* can be considered remotely top tier (and not really).
  • I honestly can't quite decide which caracters I should run in this tourny. My lvl 130 Patch is a given, since he's easily my strongest caracter, but should I go with my OBW or my Ares as second character (both maxed)? I've been running OBW until now, but I figured I could ask what other people thought.

I feel OBW has the advantage on offense (although Rampage after Berserker Rage is nice), but Ares might work better on defense.

Patch and DD aren't exactly horrible together btw. Matching your own red traps gets you some nice bonus damage with strike tiles. Kinda like an Espionage that costs 7 AP to activate and only works with red tiles.
  • I see a lot of running those guys with no DD in sight. icon_e_smile.gif

I run Punisher and Wol** probably most time second only to OBW (who will supposedly prevent getting to 7 red in the first place just as other good support characters).

The chance to neutering the tap seem low but it better measured against the chance to activate it for good.

The traps cost a little less than direct abilities but don't look reliable enough -- just like we don't use Hawkie.

If the cost was say halved so the board could be infested with traps like spiredman's webs I'd certainly flip opinion. icon_e_wink.gif In the meantime I see better place for ISO. But I keep open mind and probably switch lanes as soon as got bitten hard.

I suffered massive wipes from Mags, Hood, Spiderman, Hulk, Patch. Facing those I carefully check size and covers before attack and weigh the chances. DD did not enter that group yet.
  • Wolfman wrote:
    I honestly can't quite decide which caracters I should run in this tourny. My lvl 130 Patch is a given, since he's easily my strongest caracter, but should I go with my OBW or my Ares as second character (both maxed)? I've been running OBW until now, but I figured I could ask what other people thought.

I feel OBW has the advantage on offense (although Rampage after Berserker Rage is nice), but Ares might work better on defense.

Patch and DD aren't exactly horrible together btw. Matching your own red traps gets you some nice bonus damage with strike tiles. Kinda like an Espionage that costs 7 AP to activate and only works with red tiles.

For me big Patch with OBW looks scarier than with Ares, But even alone it's pretty much autoskip, limited to 2 buys I don't mess with the Zohan. icon_e_smile.gif (guess 5 in yellow)
  • I wish the hordes of lvl 100+ Spideys I seem to encounter everywhere felt the same way, but even in the Best there is tourny, I came back after 3 hours to 250 lost points.

And yeah, I forgot to mention. Patch is 5G/3R/5Y, OBW is 3P/5U/5B, Ares is 4G/4R/5Y
  • I haven't seen it mentioned yet (at least in this thread, but maybe I just missed it), but it appears that Shields have found a 'middle ground' and are set at 75, 150, and 300 for 3 hours, 8 hours, and 24 hours, respectively. Might be worth adding to the OP.
  • Question, is it possible to enter this tournament if you don't have DD? Just curious, I see a top ten ranked team with only 2* chars and no DD.
  • Heavyd wrote:
    Question, is it possible to enter this tournament if you don't have DD? Just curious, I see a top ten ranked team with only 2* chars and no DD.

You get a loaned one at level 15 if you have no DD.
  • dtm7817 wrote:
    I haven't seen it mentioned yet (at least in this thread, but maybe I just missed it), but it appears that Shields have found a 'middle ground' and are set at 75, 150, and 300 for 3 hours, 8 hours, and 24 hours, respectively. Might be worth adding to the OP.
    Thanks. Saw those prices mentioned for the buy-in one but didn't realize they applied here as well and hadn't looked.