Blind Justice - PvP Tournament

Options

Comments

• Twysta
    Twysta Posts: 1,597 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I know I was losing less points at the brink of 300.
    Past that I can't tell you.
  • turul
    turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Still cant climb to 1000 icon_e_sad.gif
  • Only reason I'm competing (barely) is to find some extra 3 hour shields in elite tourney if I decide to make a run for it. Wouldn't mind that green S&V of course but #1 will probably be too much effort ATM for my lvl 6 daredevil.
  • Bacon Pants
    Bacon Pants Posts: 1,012
    Options
    turul wrote:
    Still cant climb to 1000 icon_e_sad.gif

I had you queued up last night, I can't remember the team but it would've netted me 30+. It also would have been a nice challenge as I think you put out two 100+ level characters with DD. I ended up skipping you because I"m figuring 813 would be enough to win my group.
  • turul
    turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Go on, only progression rewards interest me, but they are unachievable...
  • allorin wrote:
    Why are the weaker players currently getting a ride to the top? I only have one DR Doom cover - this is a tourney I would like to place high in, but the odds are stacked against me.
    No one's exactly sure, but simple answer is that the match-making is enabling people with not remotely competitive rosters to achieve peak ratings around the same level anyone else can, but failing to serve them up to 'orrible bastards like us for slapping back down when they do. Just leaves us plinking away at one another in long matches (or ones with Patch) while they obliviously think they're doing great because no one with a developed team can see them. My bracket's cloaked 734 eventually appeared on someone's radar and disappeared from top 10 altogether in minutes, though was trying heroically to struggle back up last I saw.

Only speculation I can muster that fits is people with those kind of rosters are more likely to be the most casual, least engaged, so the system's giving them comparable numbers to the 3* players within MMR range, but failing to take into account that far fewer of them are actively playing.
    Doragon wrote:
    Either I'm in an insane bracket or they increased the points gain... I'm at 522pts and I'm not even in the top 45.
    It does look like they might've messed with how gains work again. Was pretty quiet earlier, but I went up to somewhere high 600s and #1 just idly grinding. Wouldn't be surprised if it's just that this tournament isn't all that active, though, so the people who are playing are collecting a bit more of the points pool than usual. The more driven competition monkeys are focused on the Elite, Daredevil's a passenger again and Doom isn't in many people's must-have list.

Only thing I'd put in serious effort for is blue Bag Lady, and 1400 progression is a more expensive gamble than I'll commit to. Hoping to come out ahead on HP for this one, though it's a 5am close here so might shield late if it looks like securing at least one Doom. Finally don't need Moonstones any more, so would rather not end up 46+ if I can help it.
  • Twysta
    Options
    Might manage it as the tourney closes out as there will be a flood of players going in for the last minute spots and inject some points into the tourney.
  • Bacon Pants
    Bacon Pants Posts: 1,012
    Options
    Only reason I'm competing (barely) is to find some extra 3 hour shields in elite tourney if I decide to make a run for it. Wouldn't mind that green S&V of course but #1 will probably be too much effort ATM for my lvl 6 daredevil.

Just saw you hop into the top ten in our group... Leave me alone!!! icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • After I started paying more attention to point counts I can say they're definitely making you lose less points than before at the lower end. Sitting at 490 I was hit by 2 attacks from players with 415 and 442 ratings, and I lost 17 and 14 points respectively. Before I think it was just above 300 when points lost equal to points gained, now that threshold is at least 500.
  • 286 to 808 unscathed. I think I tanked too low.
  • Ok, I'm confused and I wonder if anyone can help explain things to me?

I've been playing for a while now and progression in the tournaments seemed to make sense, however I'm becoming increasingly confused of late as to how the hell the match making system works?

I've been reading through the forums and heard mention of things like 'tanking', in relation to your MMR. So the way I see it is, there is an on-going score system (MMR) invisible to you that ranks you against other players. Does this sound right? And when you enter a tournament, you get put up against players in the similar MMR bracket as you. This explains why teams with low level rosters are able to get to the summit of the tournament leader boards, no? So, if this is accurate, how is your MMR rating worked out? It seems to me that it is a summation of your individual victories/loses, and final tournament positions? Is this why people 'tank'? So that they get beaten down the global MMR table and eventually face lower level opposition? If I have got all this right, shouldn't we be able to see our MMR rating, as this would make things a lot easier to understand?

At the moment, I'm gunning for a top five position in the Blind Justice tournament because I'm gonna give Doctor Doom a go and need to level him, however I've got low level teams all over me! I never get an opportunity to fight them, which is fine, but the minute I get over the 600 point mark, I start to lose points quicker than I can make them! On the contrary, these lower level teams seem to quite happily sit there, unshielded and not lose many points. How is this possible, because it's a meat grinder for me when I get anywhere near the 700 point barrier? My theories are:

1. Everyone else in these players brackets are asleep.
    2. Their team is far superior to anyone else in their MMR bracket, so opponents are too afraid to attack them.
    3. There is not much interest in progression within their bracket.

What do people think? If anyone is able to help me make sense of all this, that would be greatly appreciated?

My Blind Justice team is 3/5/5 Patch, 0/5/5 Spiderman, and the default Daredevil.
  • BIGTOE wrote:
    Ok, I'm confused and I wonder if anyone can help explain things to me?

I've been playing for a while now and progression in the tournaments seemed to make sense, however I'm becoming increasingly confused of late as to how the hell the match making system works?

I've been reading through the forums and heard mention of things like 'tanking', in relation to your MMR. So the way I see it is, there is an on-going score system (MMR) invisible to you that ranks you against other players. Does this sound right? And when you enter a tournament, you get put up against players in the similar MMR bracket as you. This explains why teams with low level rosters are able to get to the summit of the tournament leader boards, no? So, if this is accurate, how is your MMR rating worked out? It seems to me that it is a summation of your individual victories/loses, and final tournament positions? Is this why people 'tank'? So that they get beaten down the global MMR table and eventually face lower level opposition? If I have got all this right, shouldn't we be able to see our MMR rating, as this would make things a lot easier to understand?

At the moment, I'm gunning for a top five position in the Blind Justice tournament because I'm gonna give Doctor Doom a go and need to level him, however I've got low level teams all over me! I never get an opportunity to fight them, which is fine, but the minute I get over the 600 point mark, I start to lose points quicker than I can make them! On the contrary, these lower level teams seem to quite happily sit there, unshielded and not lose many points. How is this possible, because it's a meat grinder for me when I get anywhere near the 700 point barrier? My theories are:

2. Their team is far superior to anyone else in their MMR bracket, so opponents are too afraid to attack them.

What do people think? If anyone is able to help me make sense of all this, that would be greatly appreciated?

My Blind Justice team is 3/5/5 Patch, 0/5/5 Spiderman, and the default Daredevil.

Your bracket is determined by what time you enter and who enters with you at the same allotted time.

Your MMR is invisible, but if you're facing all high value targets (141s) your MMR is high and it's reflective in the pool of players in your queue.

Tanking is lowering your MMR to fight easier targets.

If you place top 5 in one tourney; the next tourney will have your MMR sky rocket
  • BIGTOE wrote:
    Ok, I'm confused and I wonder if anyone can help explain things to me?

You're correct on all counts. MMR is your invisible, persistent PvP rating. It's exact calculations are unknown, but presumably based on win/loss or some sort of ELO rating. It's invisible and probably will remain so in order to prevent abuse and so devs can tweak it.

All 3 of your assumptions are likely correct, and all effect why the low roster teams are so high on rankings.
  • Ok, so I enter at some point during the tournament and get put in with a group of 500 players for my bracket who joined at around the same time, but I don't seem to be fighting anyone from within my bracket? They are all high level teams from other brackets, so I'm competing against players in my tournament bracket for position, but fighting against players in my MMR bracket? Does that make sense? In which case, regardless of the time I join a tournament, I will be fighting opponents from my MMR bracket regardless of what time they joined? I will only be competing for the places with players who got put in my tournament bracket at around the same time I joined? Have I got this right?
  • BIGTOE:

Your understanding of an invisible MMR is correct.

I've been seeing the same annoying feature. In the Best There Is, I watched the top guy in my bracket closely over the duration, and he only decreased in points something like 4 times over the whole tournament. He had a 85 2* wolvie, 1 or 2 other lvl 85s, and basically nothing else. He just sat at 800 unshielded for essentially the whole tournament.

I filed a ticket wondering if he was cheating, somehow taking himself out of the matchmaking queue or something. Apparently the matchmaking is just that broken. My guess is the only people who ever see him as an opponent are low level 1* and 2* teams that are afraid of his 85s. Can only speculate though, and AFAIK the devs haven't offered any explanation.
  • BIGTOE wrote:
    Ok, so I enter at some point during the tournament and get put in with a group of 500 players for my bracket who joined at around the same time, but I don't seem to be fighting anyone from within my bracket? They are all high level teams from other brackets, so I'm competing against players in my tournament bracket for position, but fighting against players in my MMR bracket? Does that make sense? In which case, regardless of the time I join a tournament, I will be fighting opponents from my MMR bracket regardless of what time they joined? I will only be competing for the places with players who got put in my tournament bracket at around the same time I joined? Have I got this right?

Yeah, your tournament bracket is the players who joined at the same time regardless of the skill, MMR, etc. The players you get to fight (and who get to fight you) are the people in your (invisible) MMR pool. There is often little or no overlap between the tournament bracket and MMR pool.
  • BIGTOE wrote:
    Ok, so I enter at some point during the tournament and get put in with a group of 500 players for my bracket who joined at around the same time, but I don't seem to be fighting anyone from within my bracket? They are all high level teams from other brackets, so I'm competing against players in my tournament bracket for position, but fighting against players in my MMR bracket? Does that make sense? In which case, regardless of the time I join a tournament, I will be fighting opponents from my MMR bracket regardless of what time they joined? I will only be competing for the places with players who got put in my tournament bracket at around the same time I joined? Have I got this right?
    Yes. People mostly (not exclusively) refer to "MMR range" hereabouts precisely because it prevents confusion with "bracket", which is an essentially random group of 500 players you're in competition with for rating per tournament, but most of whom you probably won't actually be fighting. You could think of your MMR range as a bracket, but using the same word for both things isn't very helpful.

The entry time thing is a subject of much discussion, but there's no sure way to get an easy bracket. You'll almost always get a tough, high-scoring bracket if you register within the first hour or so a tournament is up. After that it's really anyone's guess. You can try to game it by entering when the most competitive players are doing something else (such as an Elite tournament or Magneto Lightning Round), but if one person more competitive has the same idea at the same time it's still not helping you much. Entering really late will obviously mean a fairly low-scoring bracket, but playing late is hectic and exposes you more to chance -278s from multiple people hitting you at once.
  • Hmmm, ok. Well thanks for all your help clearing this up guys. It's been troubling me of late, because I just can't seem to finish in the top 5 bracket in any of the tournaments at the moment. I tried twice for top 5 in The Best There Is, but just couldn't muster a 700+ score required to place! I just cannot get my hands on a yellow Spiderman cover, it's driving me nuts! By the time I get it, I expect he will have been nerfed and his healing abilities will be nowhere near as good and I will have missed all the fun... This also probably explains why in the last PvE tournament, all the goons were level 230! I didn't even bother because all my 3* characters weren't eligible and taking down level 230 goons with anything less than your best team is hard work!

And MMR range, and tournament bracket makes much more sense. I was beginning to confuse myself...
  • DirigiblePilot
    DirigiblePilot Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Ahahahaha, I've gotten my just desserts now. I wasn't able to log on since yesterday at about noon, and I came on this morning to -59, which is actually not as bad as I was dreading. But now the people i my bracket are more competitive, and top 5 requires 650+. 2 Doom covers, maybe?
    And locked, thanks for hitting me for -6. I'm still contemplating whether I should hit you back for +33 on my end. Are you shielded?
  • Twysta
    Options
    I'm actually winning quite a lot of defenses this tourney.
    This makes me pleased. Pleased indeed. icon_lol.gif
    Ahahahaha, I've gotten my just desserts now. I wasn't able to log on since yesterday at about noon, and I came on this morning to -59, which is actually not as bad as I was dreading. But now the people i my bracket are more competitive, and top 5 requires 650+. 2 Doom covers, maybe?
    And locked, thanks for hitting me for -6. I'm still contemplating whether I should hit you back for +33 on my end. Are you shielded?

Just don't hit her multiple times.
    Hell hath no fury like locked's scorn for getting hit multiple times by the same person.