Deadpool's Daily & The 4-Star Transition

Options

Comments

• smoq84
    smoq84 Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    And I just wanted to thank devs for new features and for the communication.

I am a player who is now at a stage of maxing my 3* characters (4x 166 at the moment and a lot between 130-160) and starting to looking for an opportunity to gain some 4*s (at the moment 4x characters with 6-7 covers, rest of them with 0-4).
    And I much appreciate the Legendary token idea. It is not easy to get one, but it shouldn't be easy. I got 2 of them till now, so it means 2 4* covers this week, which is more then ever is a such short time. And I am sure that those covers will help me to improve my 4* roster and make winning another Legendary tokens easier.

For me it is a big step forward.
    And it's also challenging which is also good.
  • thisone
    thisone Posts: 655 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Thanks for the communication. Very much appreciated. I look forward to the new season.

Any plans for more ant man style events? I really enjoyed that. Challenging but not crazy difficult icon_e_smile.gif
  • whoami
    whoami Posts: 75 Match Maker
    Options
    Re the AI's use of a team-up: if you can't disable this yet, couldn't you just make sure the AI has a useless one instead of something strong? Seems like that would be an easy tweak.
  • thanos8587
    Options
    "- The opponent currently gets a Team-Up while the player doesn’t. The player not getting Team-Ups was a very late design choice. However, the enemy Team-Ups cannot be disabled without a client change (without disabling Team-Ups for the entire Deadpool’s Daily). This client change is planned, but due to our production pipeline, shouldn’t be expected in the near future."

in addition to being a "very late design choice", it was communicated before the event to the players specifically that teamups WOULD be allowed, and then without communication you did the complete opposite and blame it on YOUR inability to implement. If you cant get the job done, put it back to the way it was and deliver what was promised.
  • Der_Lex
    Der_Lex Posts: 1,035 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Regarding AI team-ups: does the current system allow you to manually input what TU the AI gets? Because then a temporary fix would be to make sure the AI gets as harmless/useless a TU as possible. One that generates AP in a color that the character doesn't use, or something like one of Yelena's powers at one cover. To do this once every five days shouldn't take too much of the dev team's time.
  • Boommike
    Boommike Posts: 122 Tile Toppler
    Options
    IceIX wrote:
    Roswulf wrote:
    I don't think that's true- when DDQ launched, my most covered 3* was a 6-covered Cap. And yet, using almost exclusively 2* characters, I've managed to beat DDQ every day of its existence. Indeed DDQ has been the central tool in transitioning to what is now a very developed 3* roster (more than half fully covered, most of the rest close).
    To be honest, you're very much the exception there. The vast majority of players clearing the 3* node (and improving rosters) are ones that are using 3*s to start with. That node is supplementing most player's 3* roster, not creating it. I mean, definitely grats on the skill needed to pull that victory day after day, just know that most players don't do that. icon_e_smile.gif

I too am surprised by this. I got to the point in the game where I joined an alliance family and was able to compete in DDQ around the same time. My 3* transition exploded. But all of this started out with 3 2*s: Storm, OBW, Magneto. If it were possible, I could complete every node of the previous DDQ with a maxed 2* team. Essentially, I could acquire a 3* cover with a solid 2* team.
    I'm not saying the legendary DDQ should be a gimme. I remember being bested by the Ol' Enchilada for quite some time. But I humbly disagree that that node did not supplement my 3* roster. It very much did create it.
    *Disclaimer: My whole point would be moot if Wind Storm did not exist and I could not use it every day. That alone may be the single factor that my 3* roster is what it is today.
  • Lemminkäinen
    Lemminkäinen Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Boommike wrote:
    *Disclaimer: My whole point would be moot if Wind Storm did not exist and I could not use it every day. That alone may be the single factor that my 3* roster is what it is today.
    I did originally complete DDQ for a month or so using Thor, Daken, and Mags so it's also very doable without Wind Storm. Though it does help immensely (I even lost a couple of times with that team).
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Before DDQ, in the days of vaulted characters.. a real 3* transition was as hard as we are now proclaiming the 4* transition is... and there were twice as many characters.

DDQ changed everything. It is now the staple of many peoples day. People who hate Events, do their DDQ, people who hate PVP, do their DDQ, heck, retired players log in to do their DDQ..

DDQ was a boon to everything. Adding the 4* node was inevitable, but at no time did i have any expectations that i would be able to beat it with all of my 4*'s. I think it was executed very well, and the enemy we fought was the absolute perfect choice, and as much a pain in the butt to Wolvie as he is in the Comics.

All this being said. Take the long view. With more and more 4*s being released, and more ways to get them in the game now, and from what Hi-Fi said, coming soon.. In 2 or 3 months, the new node will just be another part of DDQ that everyone who can, will, and log in to do it, even if they are not interested in anything else.

My only suggestion... give us the choice of rewards. When we beat the node, pop a screen up to let us choose the reward, 4 choices, have 1 of each color for the required 4*, and the Token.

This will keep it in the spirit of DDQ, where you can get a cover for the required, and also, if you do not need a cover for them, give you that chance at a 4*.
  • ZeiramMR
    ZeiramMR Posts: 1,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    One thing I hope D3 will consider and research is being conservative in when new 4* characters are added to the DDQ node cycle before it returns to X-Force Wolverine.

The rate of covers for a brand-new character is: UP to 4 for solo play and a 5th for Alliances from their release Story event, 1st place in the PVP preceding their release, reaching 1000 in their release PVP event, lucky draws from tokens, and then from there it is a matter of future events/tournaments and purchased covers (Did I miss any?). But very few players are going to get all of the above... two of those covers are specifically to people who place Top 1 or 2 in an event for their bracket, and many players will only get 1 or 2 covers from the Story event. If the difficulty of the DDQ node remains consistent, at the end of the cycle we could get to a point where many players are stuck fighting with a character around level 100 due to few opportunities outside of paying for covers. THAT would cause some outrage, though probably not as much as the mishandled expectations earlier this week.
  • Cartoon Face
    Options
    It was a problem competing against people with maxed out 4* to begin with. Now i feel like its going to be impossible. The strong get stronger while the weak sit patiently. Sounds completely fair icon_e_sad.gif
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    ZeiramMR wrote:
    One thing I hope D3 will consider and research is being conservative in when new 4* characters are added to the DDQ node cycle before it returns to X-Force Wolverine.

The rate of covers for a brand-new character is: UP to 4 for solo play and a 5th for Alliances from their release Story event, 1st place in the PVP preceding their release, reaching 1000 in their release PVP event, lucky draws from tokens, and then from there it is a matter of future events/tournaments and purchased covers (Did I miss any?). But very few players are going to get all of the above... two of those covers are specifically to people who place Top 1 or 2 in an event for their bracket, and many players will only get 1 or 2 covers from the Story event. If the difficulty of the DDQ node remains consistent, at the end of the cycle we could get to a point where many players are stuck fighting with a character around level 100 due to few opportunities outside of paying for covers. THAT would cause some outrage, though probably not as much as the mishandled expectations earlier this week.
    I suspect the order of the 4* may be based on the percentage of the playerbase that has the character at an acceptable level. First X-force, then Nick Fury.... Third maybe Thor?
  • xequalsy
    Options
    ZeiramMR wrote:

I hope so too, but if you look at it from a timescale point of view:

Since each 4* DDQ is 5 days apart, with 16 4* (not including Iceman, or DD), it'll take 80 days before it would theoretically cycle back to XFW. That's almost 3 months of time to get covers for a particular 4* from 1k PvP (though I'm aware this cycles almost as slowly as the DDQ, you'll still probably get the chance for 2/3 covers of a specific 4* from this) and tokens. As long as they don't introduce new 4*s into the cycle until towards the end of each one, that still gives plenty of time for people to get the opportunity to cover the 4*s they need to. And I can only think that 4* draw rates/reward rate will only increase from here on forwards.

So as long as they are conservative about when they introduce "new" 4*s into the cycle, it's not too big an issue as it is currently. This is all under the assumption that people earn ~2 covers from the release PvE (I think most people who care about getting the new 4* will get at the very least top 100 + alliance), earn the 1k in the release PvP that follows, and then earn the cover again 2/3x when it is 1k. That gives non-whales the chance to have ~5-6 (from just specific rewards, they may well have 1/2 more from token pulls) covers, which from the data of the XFW event, those people have a decent shot at beating the node.
  • ZeiramMR
    Options
    One more suggestion: If you plan to remove the enemy Team-Up but it is not a priority for patching, then at least make it a TU which does not synergise with the enemy. I don't think anyone would sincerely complain about the AI getting a Spider-Man 1-turn stun. Even something like Gamora's Red which just does minor damage (at the level the TU is going to most likely be) is at least fair.
  • ZeiramMR
    Options
    xequalsy wrote:
    ZeiramMR wrote:

I hope so too, but if you look at it from a timescale point of view:

Since each 4* DDQ is 5 days apart, with 16 4* (not including Iceman, or DD), it'll take 80 days before it would theoretically cycle back to XFW. That's almost 3 months of time to get covers for a particular 4* from 1k PvP (though I'm aware this cycles almost as slowly as the DDQ, you'll still probably get the chance for 2/3 covers of a specific 4* from this) and tokens. As long as they don't introduce new 4*s into the cycle until towards the end of each one, that still gives plenty of time for people to get the opportunity to cover the 4*s they need to. And I can only think that 4* draw rates/reward rate will only increase from here on forwards.

So as long as they are conservative about when they introduce "new" 4*s into the cycle, it's not too big an issue as it is currently. This is all under the assumption that people earn ~2 covers from the release PvE (I think most people who care about getting the new 4* will get at the very least top 100 + alliance), earn the 1k in the release PvP that follows, and then earn the cover again 2/3x when it is 1k. That gives non-whales the chance to have ~5-6 (from just specific rewards, they may well have 1/2 more from token pulls) covers, which from the data of the XFW event, those people have a decent shot at beating the node.
    That's my expectation level as well. I mean, I'm in a casual alliance so I lose those potential covers, but I'm not counting that against my math since most people who are dedicated enough can generally be in an alliance that does that well.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,837 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I realize I'm late to the party, but I've brought this up many times without a response: Why didn't you simply create a Growth Industry-type event for the Legendary token? It had such an overall positive feedback yet you chose a 1v1 with only 24hrs to complete. There would have been much better feedback if we got a 4* path with 3 nodes and 5 days to beat it. Make them difficult but give us time to beat them. Anything would have been better than the 1v1.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I realize I'm late to the party, but I've brought this up many times without a response: Why didn't you simply create a Growth Industry-type event for the Legendary token? It had such an overall positive feedback yet you chose a 1v1 that you had 24hrs to complete. There would have been much better feedback if we got a 4* path with 3 nodes and 5 days to beat it. Make them difficult but give us time to beat them. Anything would have been better than the 1v1.

Funny enough... i had forgotten about Growth Industry! It was amazing fun, and we got nifty rewards on our way to that Ant-Man cover! I 2nd this.. a 5 day Growth Industry type event for the legendary token, 3rd node (the non wave) would require that weeks 4* to do, this way, like DDQ, you can get some rewards to help you, but not complete the final if you lack the required... maybe toss in an extra taco token for 2 of the waves.. this would make the 300 item vault more slightly less harrowing!
  • philosorapt0r
    philosorapt0r Posts: 36 Just Dropped In
    Options
    IceIX wrote:
    Roswulf wrote:
    I don't think that's true- when DDQ launched, my most covered 3* was a 6-covered Cap. And yet, using almost exclusively 2* characters, I've managed to beat DDQ every day of its existence. Indeed DDQ has been the central tool in transitioning to what is now a very developed 3* roster (more than half fully covered, most of the rest close).
    To be honest, you're very much the exception there. The vast majority of players clearing the 3* node (and improving rosters) are ones that are using 3*s to start with. That node is supplementing most player's 3* roster, not creating it. I mean, definitely grats on the skill needed to pull that victory day after day, just know that most players don't do that. icon_e_smile.gif

What's relevant isn't what proportion of the player pool already had developed enough 3* rosters that they used 3*s to clear TBE. What's relevant is this: of the population that had maxed/near-maxed 2*s, and undercovered 3*s, could they use their 2* team to develop their 3* roster?
    The answer is yes. I've been playing about 6 months, and now use 3*s to clear TBE in DDQ (GSBW nukes / Cap Red ftw), but I only have them covered enough to do so because I spent several months using Ares/OBW/Daken (or sometimes Storm) to get from a bunch of 1-4 cover 3*s won in events to a usable 3* roster in the first place. Covering 3*s to usability solely from PvP/PvE events would have been a slog, would have resulted in a much narrower usable roster than I have now, and I highly doubt I'd be as interested in the game as I am now (with DDQ having enabled a range of usable characters to choose from for a given fight).

A large proportion of the player-base is in a similar position with 3*s/4*s: They have some number of 3*s maxed out that they use, and a bunch of 4*s sitting on their roster taking up space with 1-4 covers. You could make a brutally-difficult DDQ node to win 4* covers (like, complain-on-the-forums-stupid-gauntlet-node-hard) that let those people use their current 3* roster to progress toward usable 4*s, and that would be fine. Frankly, it's a waste of game content and development effort NOT to let a larger % of the player-base get their 4*s to a usable point faster, now that they aren't the pinnacle of power any more. (And if the problem is that you don't want to give out that many shots at 5*s, then just make the reward a guaranteed 4*, like DDQ is now for 3*s.)
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Also, you've been on the forums for a long while. Do you really not remember all the threads when dpdq first started of 2* players unable to beat the 3* wave node? In addition, many forumites gave advice to help those players. Advice most players did not access.

TL; DR: It's easy for people to mock that game doesn't improve, but the facts point otherwise. They also point that the 4* transition will continue to improve in the future.

Now that you mention it, I remember the complaints about the Big E. I juststopped paying attention after the ?th time. :p

There have been a lot of good changes in the game. I have a positive outlook and no objection to playing guinea pig while they work things out, since they've earned some goodwill.. icon_e_smile.gif

This is true, but I think it's pretty clear from even casually scanning the forums (to say nothing of the dev reaction) that the player uproar from the difficulty of the 4* node was entirely different than the player "uproar" over the big enchilada. On the whole, DDQ was hugely popular with players right from Day 1.
  • tanis3303
    tanis3303 Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Why cant the node just scale to the level of the required 4* on your roster? I have a lvl 270 Xforce, so the lvl 270 Cyclops was challenging, for sure, but beatable. I would expect a 270 opponent on Hulkbuster, Fury, Thora and Carnage day as well, as they are also 270 on my roster. But why not on FalCap day, when my lvl 100 (could take him to 115 I believe) 1/3/1 Sam Wilson is up to bat, have him face, say a lvl 150 max opponent? That's still gonna be a hell of a challenge for him to face down alone, but it would feel do-able with some patience and luck. Any lvl 270, even Bagman, will decimate him however, which kinda sucks.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    tanis3303 wrote:
    Why cant the node just scale to the level of the required 4* on your roster? I have a lvl 270 Xforce, so the lvl 270 Cyclops was challenging, for sure, but beatable. I would expect a 270 opponent on Hulkbuster, Fury, Thora and Carnage day as well, as they are also 270 on my roster. But why not on FalCap day, when my lvl 100 (could take him to 115 I believe) 1/3/1 Sam Wilson is up to bat, have him face, say a lvl 150 max opponent? That's still gonna be a hell of a challenge for him to face down alone, but it would feel do-able with some patience and luck. Any lvl 270, even Bagman, will decimate him however, which kinda sucks.

That's a great idea: 270 Bagmans all-around!!!!!!!!!!!! That's the real challenge that demiurge and players have been looking for!