Deadpool's Daily & The 4-Star Transition

Options

Comments

• I find it funny how lackadaisically you (devs)speak of the transition from 4 to 5 star. There is nothing easy about a 3 to 4 star transition let alone a 4 to 5. It would take me months of play to earn enough ISO to max a 4 star character, let alone a whole team of them. I can only imagine the billions of ISO it will take to max a 5 star.

Not everyone plays, or can play, or should even be "suggested" to play hours on end every day.

You guys (devs) have lost sight of reality because of the whales and the hardcores but I have a hard time believing that those people can account for anything more then maybe 10-15% of players.
  • If you can't change the AI team up on the legendary DDQ node fine, but while you still can't change it let the players also use theirs.

You are saying you can't just remove it but punishes your costumers by doing it one sided. "we can't remove but we can leave it there, so we will leave it there for the AI only and in a few months maybe we can remove that one too" is utterly TINYKITTY.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    IceIX said that while the client doesn't allow turning off team-ups for a particular fight it's possible to disable enemy team-ups for an entire event, and would that really be such a bad thing? Are the team-ups ever decisive in any of the regular DDQ fights?
  • And I fail to understand how handing out more 4* covers on legendary DDQ, one every 5 days, would hurt the game. Seriously, they say the 1300 on PvP is for 3->4* transition?! It makes no sense!

If you want to hand out more covers for transitioners DO IT RIGHT, see what they can do and put an extra prize on that (like the PvE top progression one). Transitioners to the 4* cant hit 1300 and #1 at all times (if ever), then reducing the difficulty on legendary DDQ should be obvious to help those with undercovered 4*s.
  • Roswulf wrote:
    IceIX wrote:
    Vhailorx wrote:

For the DDQ node, for players that haven't really covered their 4*s yet, it's not very useful. The same can be said of the 3* node for those transitioners too however, as people with low covers on most 3*s also tend to have underdeveloped rosters, so that survival node is rough. For players in the transition area (like myself) it's a likely 4* cover every 5 days with what could be a difficult battle. For people past my stage, it's the start of the 5* transition.

I don't think that's true- when DDQ launched, my most covered 3* was a 7-covered Cap. And yet, using almost exclusively 2* characters, I've managed to beat DDQ fully every day of its existence. Indeed DDQ has been the central tool in transitioning to what is now a very developed 3* roster (more than half fully covered, most of the rest close).

My most covered 4* when the weekly version of DDQ launched this week was a 7-covered X-Force. Most of my 4 stars have only a single cover. Barring insane luck, the new variant of DDQ is completely useless to me.

Traditional DDQ tests you on the quality of your 2* roster, and rewards you with 3*. The new version tests you on the quality of your 4* roster, and rewards you with 4*. That's a fundamental difference.

Figured I would just quote this in its entirety, as it says exactly what I would have wanted to say.

DBC
  • thanos8587
    Options
    IceIX said that while the client doesn't allow turning off team-ups for a particular fight it's possible to disable enemy team-ups for an entire event, and would that really be such a bad thing? Are the team-ups ever decisive in any of the regular DDQ fights?

decisive? maybe not, but ill certainly burn a 2* storm teamup if it means not taking some crazy hit that might cost health pack or two. i can easily get the teamup back from my alliance.

teamups are part of the game and when they said they would be available only to yank them away without notice while at the same time giving cyclops a thor red teamup all because they couldnt manage the programming on their end is......well ****.
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,609 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Just as a point of feedback, I like the 4* DDQ node. I like singular hard battles that take puzzling instead of just RPG leveling/overpowering. My favorite part of original Puzzle Quest was the last boss battle, where every swap mattered, and you had to deny well and minimize what the AI could get.

But I realize most that play this game are pretty casual and want to just match their color, fire a big ability, and win.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I like a challenge but I also think that after 6+ months of DDQ people have an expectation for what the mode is supposed to accomplish, and how hard it's supposed to be, that the 4* fight just blows straight through. That plus the messaging from Ice led to a big gulf between what people thought was coming and what we actually got.
  • alphabeta
    alphabeta Posts: 469 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    IceIX wrote:
    Roswulf wrote:
    I don't think that's true- when DDQ launched, my most covered 3* was a 6-covered Cap. And yet, using almost exclusively 2* characters, I've managed to beat DDQ every day of its existence. Indeed DDQ has been the central tool in transitioning to what is now a very developed 3* roster (more than half fully covered, most of the rest close).
    To be honest, you're very much the exception there. The vast majority of players clearing the 3* node (and improving rosters) are ones that are using 3*s to start with. That node is supplementing most player's 3* roster, not creating it. I mean, definitely grats on the skill needed to pull that victory day after day, just know that most players don't do that. icon_e_smile.gif

Have you the stats on that?

I just find it stunning - the survival node is a cakewalk with maxed 2*s - people may be choosing to use 3*s to make it interesting but Stormneto or OBW and Thor is basically a guaranteed clear at maxed 2* every day other than when you hit us with bloody ninja's.

Choosing to use 3* for fun / to test new combos is very different than a node requiring 3*s to clear it
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    scottee wrote:
    Just as a point of feedback, I like the 4* DDQ node. I like singular hard battles that take puzzling instead of just RPG leveling/overpowering. My favorite part of original Puzzle Quest was the last boss battle, where every swap mattered, and you had to deny well and minimize what the AI could get.

But I realize most that play this game are pretty casual and want to just match their color, fire a big ability, and win.

I think that is a big part of the problem here scottee. Like IceIX did in some of his other posts on this topic, you are conflating people not wanting something that is extremely difficult with people wanting something very easy.

No one (or more likely almost no one) wants a complete pushover node. People don't just play through the prologue over and over again because they enjoy easy. Super easy nodes are just boring.

This topic isn't a fight between lazy, entitled players who just want everything for free, and good, noble players who enjoy a challenge and are talented and skilled at the game.

It's a discussion over the difficulty of a node relative to the reward offered. Players, by and large, do enjoy a challenge and enjoy achieving something in the game. That's why people, for the most part, really like the gauntlet, despite the fact that there are almost always a few threads complaining about the difficulty of the later nodes.

What players don't like is feeling that they will never be able to achieve anything, or that they must face a tremendous challenge in order to achieve a marginal reward. That's why people complained about the endless grind of 4* release events when only the top 10 even got 2 covers. Or when placing well in PVE required scoring well in excess of 2x the max prog-reward, but only offered a 3* prog. It's also why people didn't like the second run of the ultron event, when the difficulty was so hard that only 2 alliances in all of MPQ managed to pass round 8. I think it is possible to construct a reasonable argument that this 4* node is too hard, particularly if you view the feature as intended for the 3*-->4* transition (which demiurge clearly doesn't. hence a lot of this misunderstanding).

(And to be clear, this is not meant as a personal attack on Scottee, whom I think is a valuable member of the forum community. I am just getting very tired of people framing this debate in moral terms. Asking for certain things to be easier in the game is not a morally inferior position to those who advocate for higher difficulty. It's just a difference of opinion (that may not be correct, but is perfectly valid)).
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    very surprised by their comments on the big enchilada. if it helps the data, i'll go back to using my 2s like I did for months before getting a good group of 3s high enough. sure I haven't used them in a while, but once I learned how to use them I can count the number of wipes I had on one hand, and one of those was the ninja bug (actually still finished with my 2* 94s that day after a few tries). sure, full fledged 3* players use 3s. that doesn't mean they have to or the node cannot be consistently, reliably, routinely (not rarely) beaten with 2s.
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,609 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Vhailorx wrote:
    scottee wrote:

I think that is a big part of the problem here scottee. Like IceIX did in some of his other posts on this topic, you are conflating people not wanting something that is extremely difficult with people wanting something very easy.

No one (or more likely almost no one) wants a complete pushover node. People don't just play through the prologue over and over again because they enjoy easy. Super easy nodes are just boring.

This topic isn't a fight between lazy, entitled players who just want everything for free, and good, noble players who enjoy a challenge and are talented and skilled at the game.

It's a discussion over the difficulty of a node relative to the reward offered. Players, by and large, do enjoy a challenge and enjoy achieving something in the game. That's why people, for the most part, really like the gauntlet, despite the fact that there are almost always a few threads complaining about the difficulty of the later nodes.

What players don't like is feeling that they will never be able to achieve anything, or that they must face a tremendous challenge in order to achieve a marginal reward. That's why people complained about the endless grind of 4* release events when only the top 10 even got 2 covers. Or when placing well in PVE required scoring well in excess of 2x the max prog-reward, but only offered a 3* prog. It's also why people didn't like the second run of the ultron event, when the difficulty was so hard that only 2 alliances in all of MPQ managed to pass round 8. I think it is possible to construct a reasonable argument that this 4* node is too hard, particularly if you view the feature as intended for the 3*-->4* transition (which demiurge clearly doesn't. hence a lot of this misunderstanding).

(And to be clear, this is not meant as a personal attack on Scottee, whom I think is a valuable member of the forum community. I am just getting very tired of people framing this debate in moral terms. Asking for certain things to be easier in the game is not a morally inferior position to those who advocate for higher difficulty. It's just a difference of opinion (that may not be correct, but is perfectly valid)).

To be clear, I wasn't saying there's anything wrong with playing the game casually, or that serious players or better or anything. I was acknowledging that I know I'm not the norm. Just stated my opinion because I think it's valuable to have all the data points.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I like a challenge but I also think that after 6+ months of DDQ people have an expectation for what the mode is supposed to accomplish, and how hard it's supposed to be, that the 4* fight just blows straight through. That plus the messaging from Ice led to a big gulf between what people thought was coming and what we actually got.

What's funny (at least to me) is I pretty much nailed my prediction on the potential opponents, at least so far: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=32604#p406335
    If it's a 3*, I'm expecting level 240-260, and a few class of characters:

Self feeding big nuke types: Thor, Mystique, Cyclops, Scarlet, Hulk, Doom
    Self heals: Groot, Patch, Daken, Spidey
    PITAs: Gorgon, Fist, Cage
    Quick strikes: Deadpool, Gamora (plus her black 1v1 could be devastating)

What's not funny (at least to me) is that the first class there is way harder than I thought it'd be.
  • TheOncomingStorm
    TheOncomingStorm Posts: 489 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Roswulf wrote:
    IceIX wrote:
    Vhailorx wrote:

For the DDQ node, for players that haven't really covered their 4*s yet, it's not very useful. The same can be said of the 3* node for those transitioners too however, as people with low covers on most 3*s also tend to have underdeveloped rosters, so that survival node is rough. For players in the transition area (like myself) it's a likely 4* cover every 5 days with what could be a difficult battle. For people past my stage, it's the start of the 5* transition.

I don't think that's true- when DDQ launched, my most covered 3* was a 7-covered Cap. And yet, using almost exclusively 2* characters, I've managed to beat DDQ fully every day of its existence. Indeed DDQ has been the central tool in transitioning to what is now a very developed 3* roster (more than half fully covered, most of the rest close).

My most covered 4* when the weekly version of DDQ launched this week was a 7-covered X-Force. Most of my 4 stars have only a single cover. Barring insane luck, the new variant of DDQ is completely useless to me.

Traditional DDQ tests you on the quality of your 2* roster, and rewards you with 3*. The new version tests you on the quality of your 4* roster, and rewards you with 4*. That's a fundamental difference.

Figured I would just quote this in its entirety, as it says exactly what I would have wanted to say.

DBC

That's only true if and only if legendary tokens only give out 4*s.

So by that same logic, since legendary tokens offer 5*s, they should test your 4*s.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    In light of the ongoing discussion about ddq's utility for 2* players, I tried the big enchilada with only 2*s today.

OBW 94 3/5/5
    Thor 94 3/5/5
    Daken 94 4/4/5

I would say that I had moderate board luck. no big, lucky cascades for me, but the board did give me a a steady supply of green and blue. didn't have as much yellow as I would have liked however.

It took a bit longer than my normal 3* tactics, but it was not hard at all. Overall the ai made a total of 6 moves (2 in wave 2 and 4 in wave 4), and never fired a power. I was a little lucky in that the enemy countdowns were always placed in accessible spots, so I could usually match them away. Had any of them threatened to go off, I always had plenty of blue in reserve to extend the countdowns.

At the end of the match OBW was down to ~3k, Thor had 4.3k and Daken had 2.7k.

Whether or not a majority of players use 3*s to finish that node, and on the basis of this admittedly anecdotal evidence, I am satisfied that 2* players can finish it with a modicum of effort (except maybe for the one day with "turn to smoke" ninjas). Even if they wipe a few times, it shouldn't take more than few tries. And I didn't even use one of the top tier 2* teams.
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    First off I really appreciate the devs response to the forum's issues over the past few days. No doubt hi-fi played a role in bringing them out concerns and urging them to respond so thank you there as well.

I'm still not exactly happy about converting specific covers at 1300 to tokens since that now means you need to get lucky with pulls as opposed to a guaranteed path, but I accept that they need more tokens in the game to at least get some 5* out there, so that is at least a logical change to make.

As for the big enchilada discussion, my alt account won a handful of these with maxed 1* (it took a few tries sometimes), and now uses level 80 cstorm, 80 2*thor, and a 1/1/1 kingpin. I often eat a CD or two in wave 1 but by wave 2 I'm near going infinite with red and purple feeding yellow, yellow feeding green, and cstorm green generating 13+ ap every time I fire it. I realize kingpin isn't exactly 2*, but I could easily do this node with a respectable obw (mine is only 3/3/2 or something), or even the daken I do have, it just wouldn't be as fun.
  • thanos8587
    Options
    Vhailorx wrote:
    In light of the ongoing discussion about ddq's utility for 2* players, I tried the big enchilada with only 2*s today.

OBW 94 3/5/5
    Thor 94 3/5/5
    Daken 94 4/4/5

I would say that I had moderate board luck. no big, lucky cascades for me, but the board did give me a a steady supply of green and blue. didn't have as much yellow as I would have liked however.

It took a bit longer than my normal 3* tactics, but it was not hard at all. Overall the ai made a total of 6 moves (2 in wave 2 and 4 in wave 4), and never fired a power. I was a little lucky in that the enemy countdowns were always placed in accessible spots, so I could usually match them away. Had any of them threatened to go off, I always had plenty of blue in reserve to extend the countdowns.

At the end of the match OBW was down to ~3k, Thor had 4.3k and Daken had 2.7k.

Whether or not a majority of players use 3*s to finish that node, and on the basis of this admittedly anecdotal evidence, I am satisfied that 2* players can finish it with a modicum of effort (except maybe for the one day with "turn to smoke" ninjas). Even if they wipe a few times, it shouldn't take more than few tries. And I didn't even use one of the top tier 2* teams.

there is a new member in my alliance who is clearing BE with level 70 2 stars. im not sure there are still alot of complaints on that issue any longer.

the funniest thing is his enthusiasm and enjoyment of the game and the process. that seems to have gotten beaten out of me at day 323. i feel like im playing only because ive played for the last 322 days. waiting to see what the anniversary brings is about the only thing i can look forward to.

thats why this cheese with the 4* node has me so irked. i beat the node after 6 tries and i wasnt happy, excited or anything else positive about completing it. it wasnt challenging or entertaining or interesting, it was straight up irritating on every level. i kind of looked forward to adding to my pathetic 4 stars (not all that much, im still 1.5m iso short for my 3 stars) but after that garbage on tuesday im really of the opinion they can keep the damn token if they feel it necessary to play bait and switch with the conditions they themselves stated before the event.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    TxMoose wrote:
    very surprised by their comments on the big enchilada. if it helps the data, i'll go back to using my 2s like I did for months before getting a good group of 3s high enough. sure I haven't used them in a while, but once I learned how to use them I can count the number of wipes I had on one hand, and one of those was the ninja bug (actually still finished with my 2* 94s that day after a few tries). sure, full fledged 3* players use 3s. that doesn't mean they have to or the node cannot be consistently, reliably, routinely (not rarely) beaten with 2s.
    ok, like vhailorx I also did todays BE with my thormneto team and they got one move in. thor took 200-300 damage (one move if I remember right) and I had 30 ap in all going into both 2 and 4. cannot imagine that they think that the 4* node and big enchilada are similar difficulties for their intended purpose.
    mohio wrote:
    I'm still not exactly happy about converting specific covers at 1300 to tokens since that now means you need to get lucky with pulls as opposed to a guaranteed path, but I accept that they need more tokens in the game to at least get some 5* out there, so that is at least a logical change to make.
    what if they kept the same exact schedule they used to have at 1300 but offered the token as an alternative to the set cover. those that need the cover can get it, those that don't have the cover could choose a token. that would seem like a win-win to me and I could target it whenever a key character comes up, not just when boosteds align right. I'm not to the point I can chase every 1300 but could now and then but I sure would prefer to know the extra hp is going to be worth it.
  • Konman
    Konman Posts: 410 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    To summarize recent changes to boost 4-Star output to players:
    - (Season 16) Increased odds of 4-Stars by about 50% in Heroic and Event packs.
    - (Season 18) Added Legendary Tokens as progression rewards at the top end of each Story Event.
    - (Season 18) Switched in Legendary Tokens as progression rewards at 1300 Progression in each Versus Event.
    - (Season 18) Added Legendary Tokens as part of the Deadpool’s Daily Quest.
    - (Season 18) Switched in 1 Legendary Token for a 4-Star cover in the Taco Vault.
    - (Season 18) Added a Legendary Token for each 40-pack purchased.

Lets look at these already implemented, D3 described 4* transition goodies.

Odds from a heroic token went from infinitesimal to merely miniscule and are currently 2.8% chance to get some 4*, likely Starlord yello.
    Legendary tokens in story PVE events, equaling 1 new token every 4 or 7 days, at twice the previous top progression reward, welcome to Grindtown: population You.
    1300 PVP progression is being achieved by the exact same players as previously, only now its a token instead of a cover.
    DDQ 4* token is what all this hub bub is about in the first place. What the event is vs what players seemed to think it was going to be. Not exactly the transition we were looking for.
    Vault token introduction is a non factor, either relying on long odds or long waits while you stockpile those tacos to even the odds. No one is using the vaults as a source of tokens.
    40 packs cost around $70 US. I hope this isn't a sincere suggestion on how to transition our rosters.

The other items in the list are yet to be seen, so I won't comment on their efficacy at the moment.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Konman wrote:
    To summarize recent changes to boost 4-Star output to players:
    - (Season 16) Increased odds of 4-Stars by about 50% in Heroic and Event packs.
    - (Season 18) Added Legendary Tokens as progression rewards at the top end of each Story Event.
    - (Season 18) Switched in Legendary Tokens as progression rewards at 1300 Progression in each Versus Event.
    - (Season 18) Added Legendary Tokens as part of the Deadpool’s Daily Quest.
    - (Season 18) Switched in 1 Legendary Token for a 4-Star cover in the Taco Vault.
    - (Season 18) Added a Legendary Token for each 40-pack purchased.

Lets look at these already implemented, D3 described 4* transition goodies.

Odds from a heroic token went from infinitesimal to merely miniscule and are currently 2.8% chance to get some 4*, likely Starlord yello.
    Legendary tokens in story PVE events, equaling 1 new token every 4 or 7 days, at twice the previous top progression reward, welcome to Grindtown: population You.
    1300 PVP progression is being achieved by the exact same players as previously, only now its a token instead of a cover.
    DDQ 4* token is what all this hub bub is about in the first place. What the event is vs what players seemed to think it was going to be. Not exactly the transition we were looking for.
    Vault token introduction is a non factor, either relying on long odds or long waits while you stockpile those tacos to even the odds. No one is using the vaults as a source of tokens.
    40 packs cost around $70 US. I hope this isn't a sincere suggestion on how to transition our rosters.

The other items in the list are yet to be seen, so I won't comment on their efficacy at the moment.

40packs are 10kHP in the offseason events.. so roughly $50, half a stark..and same odds as a standard heroic 40 pack.

But more to the point, it sounds like you really hate the game.. so why are you playing.. and why are you even bothering to post to the forum with nothing constructive to say?

The PVE token.. very easy, had it before day 4 in Hulk.. does not require much more than a couple clears lazily each day.. so a free 4* every 4-7 days.. is way more than we had when it was 0.. and they added another token and some HP along the way.

The vault always had long odds for a 4*, but, now, it has a chance at A 5* with the token in it. This is called an improvement.

1300 in PVP is a goal to work for.. it sounds like you were expecting a handout? Hitting 1k already gets you a 4* cover.. and yes, just about anyone with a decent 3* roster can do it.