12345679»

Comments

• Stax the Foyer
    Stax the Foyer Posts: 941 Critical Contributor
    Options
    raisinbman wrote:
    Sometimes you win at solitaire, sometimes you lose
    Pylgrim wrote:
    You have all the odds at your favour (i.e. full control over the board, turn after turn) but a significant chance of being screwed by chance.
    Dauthi wrote:
    When all else fails, and a bomb is about to hit, instead of giving up I find it fun to use a shake-up or mix-up ability and see what luck will deal me.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

"Sometimes you'll lose" is frustrating, but it's tolerable when the rewards are tuned the way they were for this one. Some boards are going to be unwinnable from the get-go, especially with bombs stacking.

But remember, the HB release was tuned to require near-perfect clearing from 20 alliance members to get the third cover. If the superbomb damage persists when Ultron is used to release another 4* character, a bad string of unwinnable boards can put the third cover out of reach for an entire alliance despite their best efforts. I never wiped, but I squeaked by a couple times, and the only reason that I didn't wipe was because there wasn't a second bomb stacked on top of the one that exploded. That's not skill or planning, that's just luck. There was more than enough tolerance in the tuning on this one to handle it, but there might not be in a 4* release.

The biggest change that they could make for future re-runs would be a rule for bomb placement that wouldn't let a bomb spawn in the same column two twice in a row. I'd also like to see the bomb damage capped below 10K, so that the more tanky characters can take a hit, even if the Hoods and other glass cannons still get vaporized. Both of those changes would greatly reduce the chance of an unavoidable loss.
  • mrcheddar
    mrcheddar Posts: 58 Match Maker
    Options
    I've had a lot of success using patch (lvl 153 - 4/4/5) + gsbw (lvl 140 - 5/1/5) + cyclops (lvl 114 - 3-2-4).

Patch in the middle tanks everything but black and purple. Gsbw for purple and failing that chase red/yellow to power for best there is which seems to hit for over 6k reliably. plus add berserker rage hitting for 3k. I use gsbw sniper rifle if I need the board control.

Patch has been by far my MVP this time around. Black panther a close 2nd (lvl 140 - 5/3/3) but he eats through my heath packs in the nodes.

I've lost due to bad boards against Ultron but not as often as I thought considering from lvl 6 onwards no-one apart from patch could survive a a bomb. Maybe I got lucky from good boards but it helps to not just chase ap.

Good luck icon_e_smile.gif
  • Dauthi
    Dauthi Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Dauthi wrote:
    Pylgrim wrote:
    I have to say that I completely agree with this. If it weren't for the high bomb damage, I'd never, ever lose in that node. You have all the odds at your favour (i.e. full control over the board, turn after turn) but a significant chance of being screwed by chance. That makes you plan every single move as optimally as possible to minimise bad the impact of bad luck. Sometimes things seem dire and you have to gamble on a move that will bring new tiles into the board that hopefully will allow you to match away bombs, etc. It is exciting because the danger is real; it is, as vhailor says all or nothing but I think that's actually a positive as usually the rest of the MPQ experience are shades of gray (i.e. you win consistently but your heroes quickly accumulate damage across battles).

As I see it, it is refreshingly different, exciting and rewarding of strategical thinking more than other events are.

Agreed. It is exhilarating to snag a 4 match next to a bomb in hope it will drop a color you need next to it, or using your match 3 skills to maneuver 2 bombs in places where they can be double matched in one turn. When all else fails, and a bomb is about to hit, instead of giving up I find it fun to use a shake-up or mix-up ability and see what luck will deal me.

I am on round 8 and have wiped a couple times now, but still had fun struggling to the last bomb drop. Board manipulation through player skill and character abilities have never been so relevant, so it's nice to see a new skill-set being put in the spotlight to succeed. You either find a way to match the bombs with them, or die trying.

Do both of you think that your enjoyment of this event would be lessened if there were twice or thrice as many bombs that each did 1/2 or 1/3rd of the damage? Pylgrim obliquely addressed this suggestion saying that he would never lose if bomb damage were lower. But he didn't discuss the idea of lower damage AND more bombs. And what about you Dauthi?

I think less bombs that do more damage forces you to plan/maneuver more yourself. It also has the effect of bad luck being really bad (wipe), and good luck being really good (unscathed), unfortunately.

If there were lots of bombs for less damage, shake-up abilities from characters would be a lot more efficient (X-Force for instance). I'm not sure if the threat would be as sincere if it was spread out. It would certainly be easier though.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Dauthi wrote:
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Dauthi wrote:
    Pylgrim wrote:
    I have to say that I completely agree with this. If it weren't for the high bomb damage, I'd never, ever lose in that node. You have all the odds at your favour (i.e. full control over the board, turn after turn) but a significant chance of being screwed by chance. That makes you plan every single move as optimally as possible to minimise bad the impact of bad luck. Sometimes things seem dire and you have to gamble on a move that will bring new tiles into the board that hopefully will allow you to match away bombs, etc. It is exciting because the danger is real; it is, as vhailor says all or nothing but I think that's actually a positive as usually the rest of the MPQ experience are shades of gray (i.e. you win consistently but your heroes quickly accumulate damage across battles).

As I see it, it is refreshingly different, exciting and rewarding of strategical thinking more than other events are.

Agreed. It is exhilarating to snag a 4 match next to a bomb in hope it will drop a color you need next to it, or using your match 3 skills to maneuver 2 bombs in places where they can be double matched in one turn. When all else fails, and a bomb is about to hit, instead of giving up I find it fun to use a shake-up or mix-up ability and see what luck will deal me.

I am on round 8 and have wiped a couple times now, but still had fun struggling to the last bomb drop. Board manipulation through player skill and character abilities have never been so relevant, so it's nice to see a new skill-set being put in the spotlight to succeed. You either find a way to match the bombs with them, or die trying.

Do both of you think that your enjoyment of this event would be lessened if there were twice or thrice as many bombs that each did 1/2 or 1/3rd of the damage? Pylgrim obliquely addressed this suggestion saying that he would never lose if bomb damage were lower. But he didn't discuss the idea of lower damage AND more bombs. And what about you Dauthi?

I think less bombs that do more damage forces you to plan/maneuver more yourself. It also has the effect of bad luck being really bad (wipe), and good luck being really good (unscathed), unfortunately.

If there were lots of bombs for less damage, shake-up abilities from characters would be a lot more efficient (X-Force for instance). I'm not sure if the threat would be as sincere if it was spread out. It would certainly be easier though.
    healers might have it too ez
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Dauthi wrote:

Huh, you are right to a certain extent. But I don't know that it would be much easier.

in Round 8 bombs are doing 16k and change. Lets assume that Ultron spawn 3 bombs each round, and each bomb did 5.5k damage. That means that big tanks can take 2-3 bombs (depending on match damage sustained), and squishy supports can barely take 1 (and hood can't take any). You have a bit more slack to let a few bombs through, and with so many more bombs, many more of them will get matched away. But I still think it would be risky to use something like xforce with 3 bombs per row.

It's entirely possible that this solution would be just as irritating, or even more irritating, that the current mega-bombs, and if it were implemented I would just end up complaining about something else. Nevertheless, I I would like to see it attempted in a later run of the event. I think that the feast or famine nature of the current system doesn't mesh well with the design of the ultron event. As stax pointed out, the second run of this event required near-perfect performance for 5 days from 20 people to reach the max level. That is not a requirement that meshes well with an all or nothing game mode that results in 90% victory and 10% unavoidable defeat. (but it's not a problem at all in this particular run where the score requirements are low and there is plenty of time to finish).
  • TLCstormz
    TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
    Options
    OMG at the amount of gloating being done in here. Not sure why people get fulfilment from that, but to each his own, I suppose?

If the bombs have NEVER hit this hard before and there was NO warning from the creators, that is an issue. Period. I don't see why anyone would even take pleasure in arguing with that.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I'm using Cap/IM40 with 2 yellow/GSBW. Boosting 2 r/y. Once it gets going, nothing can stop them, apart from those lovely cascades from top. Still doesn't mean **** as I've had boards that doesn't allow me to get any colour I need to start anything. I've had one where I struggled for >10 turns and was never offered single yellow match, let alone two, that wouldn't make bomb fall 3 tiles down. And yes, I do know how to manipulate board to set up better colours/match4-5s etc. Can't do that if game offers you one-two viable moves.

And when I lose on Solitaire, I don't need to wait 2 hours for health packs or win a Sapper before being able to redo.
  • snooka
    snooka Posts: 23 Just Dropped In
    Options
    try this team for almost guaranteed win against Ultron bomb node:
    GSBW + Hood + Hulkbuster + Y/R 2AP boost

HB boosts Red with his blue and black
    GSBW clears multiple bombs with her red/green/purple when they are near bottom
    Hood clears multible bombs with his yellow

my HB is 2/3/3 and still good enough for this purpose
  • Unknown
    Options
    Nivrax wrote:
    I'm using Cap/IM40 with 2 yellow/GSBW. Boosting 2 r/y. Once it gets going, nothing can stop them, apart from those lovely cascades from top. Still doesn't mean tinykitty as I've had boards that doesn't allow me to get any colour I need to start anything. I've had one where I struggled for >10 turns and was never offered single yellow match, let alone two, that wouldn't make bomb fall 3 tiles down. And yes, I do know how to manipulate board to set up better colours/match4-5s etc. Can't do that if game offers you one-two viable moves.

And when I lose on Solitaire, I don't need to wait 2 hours for health packs or win a Sapper before being able to redo.
    well then, solitaire comes free on windows
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I like to add that even when losing you are still gaining points. So it is different from the usual pve when if you lose, you gain zero points. In Ultron, when you lose you still make progress.

(Though the frustration and agony experienced still remains)
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,311 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Dauthi wrote:
    Pylgrim wrote:

I don't think I was that oblique? More bombs/less damage will cause less wipes I guess (so 0-2 instead of the 3 I had in this whole event?) but will cause more cumulative damage to my guys, whereas the current approach allows for a high number of flawless victories. Similarly, the fact that is "all or nothing" is, I believe what makes Ultron different and interesting. With a more spread way of dealing damage, the game is less about controlling the board and stopping every single bomb, and more about racing damage... like every other single battle in MPQ.
  • Unknown
    Options
    atomzed wrote:
    I like to add that even when losing you are still gaining points. So it is different from the usual pve when if you lose, you gain zero points. In Ultron, when you lose you still make progress.

I'd like to see this implemeneted somehow in non-ultron environments(and I guess non survival mode) -

almost won but Juggernaut just took 500 ap and crit 60 times? You get points/prizes for trying!

Got attacked 500 times since you're unshielded and just went down 600 points? Your point value is heavily reduced for the next hour!

fighting an INSANE/DEADLY node? Well, we don't expect u to beat it, so here's points/prizes for trying!
  • MarvelMan
    MarvelMan Posts: 1,350
    Options
    raisinbman wrote:
    atomzed wrote:

I'd like to see this implemeneted somehow in non-ultron environments(and I guess non survival mode) -

almost won but Juggernaut just took 500 ap and crit 60 times? You get points/prizes for trying!

Got attacked 500 times since you're unshielded and just went down 600 points? Your point value is heavily reduced for the next hour!

fighting an INSANE/DEADLY node? Well, we don't expect u to beat it, so here's points/prizes for trying!

But only if you get to retry the node to obtain the remaining points. Getting locked out of the node/points, as it is with Ultron, could/would break the competitive aspect of the game in so many ways.
  • Unknown
    Options
    MarvelMan wrote:
    raisinbman wrote:
    atomzed wrote:

But only if you get to retry the node to obtain the remaining points. Getting locked out of the node/points, as it is with Ultron, could/would break the competitive aspect of the game in so many ways.
    that's fair. I mean, 99% of the game is so draconian in either YOU WIN icon_mrgreen.gif or YOU LOSE icon_evil.gif.

If there was a middle ground we could do fun stuff like "Juggernaut is on a rampaging thru the city, how much damage can you deal before you have to retreat?"
  • MarvelMan
    MarvelMan Posts: 1,350
    Options
    raisinbman wrote:
    <snip>that's fair. I mean, 99% of the game is so draconian in either YOU WIN icon_mrgreen.gif or YOU LOSE icon_evil.gif.

If there was a middle ground we could do fun stuff like "Juggernaut is on a rampaging thru the city, how much damage can you deal before you have to retreat?"

That sounds great as far as a true PVE event, or even in a limitedly competitive one. Its just when you introduce the prize thing that people go crazy.
  • Rob13
    Rob13 Posts: 41
    Options
    I disagree with pylgrim