Ultron bomb damage out of control?

Comments

• Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Malcrof wrote:
    Just had a board shuffle (no matches available) on Tetris Ulron... brought 4 bombs to the bottom, wiped my team.. was only the 6th turn, didn't get a single ability off.

That may need to be addressed.

Sorry malcrof,

According to dauthi above, this is just a failure of your player skills. If you were better at match 3 games, you wouldn't have moved the board into an unplayable state.

So take some time to reflect on what you did wrong, and try to be better a person. The fault was all yours. . .

/sarcasm

Sarcasm aside, you are not entirely wrong. When the board started, there were plenty of matches available.. the ones i chose, ARE the ones that ended up causing the shuffle, as the AI does not make matches on the tetris ones... Making one match over another could have ended in a 0 heath loss win... the puzzle continues!
  • Everything else aside, the fact remains that during the first run of Ultron, bombs were much more forgiving. You could take a couple and still come out on top. With the insane bomb damage, you're looking at a lot of 2x1 Ultron matches instead of 3x1 ones.

This past clear for instance, I batted 5/6 against him. 3 of those matches had indestructible bombs take out 1 of my heroes at the start, 3 of them also had stacked bombs (the loss was one of those), 2 of the matches I managed to come through alright.

Skill is only a part of the equation. Also, it isn't wholly true that Ultron doesn't make matches. When he destroys the bottom row, the RNG often gives him match-4's/match-5s at the top, even on pretty dry boards that shouldn't be generating those kind of cascades (sometimes even full row single-colors).

But I've also had several clears past few rounds that were 3/6. The fact remains that this run of Ultron is much less forgiving of minor mistakes or poor luck.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Malcrof wrote:
    Just had a board shuffle (no matches available) on Tetris Ulron... brought 4 bombs to the bottom, wiped my team.. was only the 6th turn, didn't get a single ability off.

I had an interesting one. board shuffle brought a blue bomb to the bottom row and it sat there with it being my turn, did not explode. I had mnmags purple ready, so I cast it to match the bomb on the bottom row away. then the bomb exploded when the match was made. I don't understand that one at all.
    DFiPL wrote:
    I still detest the Gunners. There is no reason the Fighters should get to proc Swarm first and then let the Gunners proc Core tinykitty afterwards based on what the Fighters do.
    I hate gunners too. they aren't anything I can't deal with - haven't wiped on them yet, but gunner and 2 fighters. when they can swarm/core meltdown and go criticals on turn 2 its a little gimmicky - like mickey mouse putt putt gimmicky. they do such low damage luckily they don't hit big, but its a slow bleed that can be dealt with by many characters, but still gimmicky.

regarding the bombs - last ultron the bomb dropper matches were much more fun to me. I'd rather increase his health and pull back on the bombs. let us at least take one and survive. OR, if you're going to make us take on an 'ace it or wipe' fight, let us replay the node and not kick us back. really detest the 'ace it or wipe' nodes with nothing between.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Glad I hit max individual progression with only one run in round 7 - and done, to heck with Captain Marvel (Thanks, I guess?) Now one bomb does 14K damage - HB barely survives that, not many others would. Sorry to team-mates who have to continue on with this harder Ultron icon_e_sad.gif
  • MarvelMan
    MarvelMan Posts: 1,350
    Single shotting a boosted Patch is just nuts, but I guess it is level 7.....

I think ~6.5k damage per bomb would be ideal. You have to worry about match damage because that combined with one bomb can wipe a char but neither is enough on its own. Too much and luck becomes a significant factor. Ive had a couple dry boards where the only matches I could make, including the subsequent options resulting from those, were in colors that did nothing for me (at least for board control purposes).

Or, if they want the bombs that powerful make them drop every other turn.
  • Malcrof
    TxMoose wrote:
    I hate gunners too. they aren't anything I can't deal with - haven't wiped on them yet, but gunner and 2 fighters. when they can swarm/core meltdown and go criticals on turn 2 its a little gimmicky - like mickey mouse putt putt gimmicky. they do such low damage luckily they don't hit big, but its a slow bleed that can be dealt with by many characters, but still gimmicky.

The way i deal with sentry nodes, usually leaves me without the need for any health packs.

3Thor, Cage, Essential (if cage is essential, i bring in OBW)

Work on matching black first,green and yellow if they come.

Once you have 12 black, take out mr core meltdown. do the same if you have enough AP left for anyone else, leave a "feed the system" guy for last.

Reasoning behind this is simple. Feed the system will heal himself indefinitely, while you gain the AP to 1 turn kill the final round. Cage's shield makes most damage 1, so you can basically pound on it all day with tile matches and it will heal itself, when you are ready with Thor, jjc jjc and the sentry dies and you are off to the final round, having taken little to no damage.
  • MarvelMan
    Malcrof wrote:
    3Thor, Cage, Essential (if cage is essential, i bring in OBW)

This is what I do, but with Patch swapped for FatThor, and rather than OBW I bring IF. Put Patch on the left though, that way he owns TU matches. I barely get touched and often build enough AP to wipe everyone out at once. It can be slow though.
  • TxMoose wrote:
    I had an interesting one. board shuffle brought a blue bomb to the bottom row and it sat there with it being my turn, did not explode. I had mnmags purple ready, so I cast it to match the bomb on the bottom row away. then the bomb exploded when the match was made. I don't understand that one at all.

From an amateur coding standpoint, that sounds like a bug. By appearances, Ultron checks when a bomb "drops" into the second row, and when that occurs, it destroys the gem, and then the bomb damage is checked on placement when gem destroyed. Which is why you don't get nuked when you match it higher. I don't believe that Ultron's bottom row wipe is coded like a normal ability as being performed by an enemy AI.

In this situation, the shuffle "placed" the bomb on the row outside of it's normal drop and trigger check, so it didn't destroy for being on the bottom row, but then you matched it, and it checked for it's place when destroyed to generate effect, and hit you with the bomb damage.
  • cyineedsn
    cyineedsn Posts: 361 Mover and Shaker
    Dauthi wrote:
    Again, I'm not talking about skills a character has, though many can help, I am talking about match 3 skills a player has. Ultron is just a hardcore match 3 puzzle.

In the early rounds it was a cool hardcore puzzle. At rounds 7, 8, and to some extent 6 it's a slot machine. One-shot bomb damage makes the early board config and possible matches >>> everything else, including player skill/team makeup. As others have mentioned, it's either a cakewalk romp where your board manipulating heroes and lazy cap control everything, or a 30 second wipe where you futilely watch the bombs you can't match one-shot your team.

tldr; I prefer cool hardcore puzzles, not glorified slot machines where if the starting board looks nasty, I'm already 75% guaranteed a loss. (Made up some random number there obviously. Real odds are definitely not good.)
  • mouser
    mouser Posts: 529 Critical Contributor
    FIghting Ultron primarily with LCap and Cyclops, then adding a 3rd wheel, often XF. Cyclops is really just there to generate red for Cap.

Rounds 1-6 are manageable because everyone can usually survive a single bomb hit if there haven't been some ugly Ultron cascades before. Once you're into round 7 it's usually either a win with almost no damage or a loss. Lots of luck factors in the board layout if Ultron gets a bomb or two moving that you simply can't get a match on.
  • cyineedsn wrote:
    Dauthi wrote:
    Again, I'm not talking about skills a character has, though many can help, I am talking about match 3 skills a player has. Ultron is just a hardcore match 3 puzzle.

In the early rounds it was a cool hardcore puzzle. At rounds 7, 8, and to some extent 6 it's a slot machine. One-shot bomb damage makes the early board config and possible matches >>> everything else, including player skill/team makeup. As others have mentioned, it's either a cakewalk romp where your board manipulating heroes and lazy cap control everything, or a 30 second wipe where you futilely watch the bombs you can't match one-shot your team.

tldr; I prefer cool hardcore puzzles, not glorified slot machines where if the starting board looks nasty, I'm already 75% guaranteed a loss. (Made up some random number there obviously. Real odds are definitely not good.)
    disagree, theres some teams which can definitely own Ultron regardless of the board, 75% of the time
    Malcrof wrote:

they already addressed it thru round 8 "adjustments" *kappa*
  • cyineedsn
    raisinbman wrote:
    disagree, theres some teams which can definitely own Ultron regardless of the board, 75% of the time

What teams? icon_eek.gif
  • Kingofpopcorn
    Kingofpopcorn Posts: 65 Match Maker
    Out of control ? F***** yes !
    I almost smashed my phone.

Demiurge realy needs to improve their play test (if they do)
  • MarvelMan

Youre funny.
  • Out of control ? F***** yes !
    I almost smashed my phone.

why should they play test when they already "adjusted Ultron" in response to Hulkbuster round 8? *Kappa*
    cyineedsn wrote:
    raisinbman wrote:

What teams? icon_eek.gif

Um, I dunno. Depends on your roster. I stick with triple thor/america/logan.

Definitely have to boost to see consistent results.

I think Scarlet + Mag + Cap could also be something. In the same respect, Scarlet + GSBW + anyone(professor x ideally I guess)

Then there's the strongest team in game charles/danny/pietro

GSBW + others

Invisible Woman Blue

1*Hawkeye + Bullseye teamup + others

X-Force deals heavy damage to ultron and board shakes

the teams here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=25460&p=314418&hilit=+infinite#p314418(though you have to be careful with cascades/board shake)
  • mouser wrote:
    FIghting Ultron primarily with LCap and Cyclops, then adding a 3rd wheel, often XF. Cyclops is really just there to generate red for Cap.

Rounds 1-6 are manageable because everyone can usually survive a single bomb hit if there haven't been some ugly Ultron cascades before. Once you're into round 7 it's usually either a win with almost no damage or a loss. Lots of luck factors in the board layout if Ultron gets a bomb or two moving that you simply can't get a match on.

If you're in 1 hit kill territory, I would suggest swapping Magneto 2 star, or GSBW , for XF, if you have their purple abilities covered. Their abilities are more precise board manipulators as you can possible match away blue or green bombs respectively, or create column match 4-5s if bomb color is an issue. It's not fool proof, and TU tiles may cause an issue. Mags has the bonus of being cheaper and producing red tiles for your cap, while GSBW has the extra tool of Pistols if you have the red and no other bomb removal options, in theory at least. I haven't had the chance to try that.

Board shake is BAD, because at times it may work well and save you, but its generally uncontrollable, will cause cascades, and will cause bombs to drop at an accelerated rate. The Tetris Ultron fight requires precision, so giving up over all damage for a longer match with less bomb risk is probably the best scenario.
  • Malcrof
    Bring Juggs, boost red, get 2 or 3 headbutts in and let him eat a bomb..
  • cyineedsn
    raisinbman wrote:

I think Scarlet + Mag + Cap could also be something. In the same respect, Scarlet + GSBW + anyone(professor x ideally I guess)

GSBW + others

Invisible Woman Blue

the teams here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=25460&p=314418&hilit=+infinite#p314418(though you have to be careful with cascades/board shake)

Hmmm I haven't tried SW, I'll give that a try!
  • Malcrof
    cyineedsn wrote:
    raisinbman wrote:

GSBW + others

Invisible Woman Blue

Hmmm I haven't tried SW, I'll give that a try!

Does hex bolt or her passive take out bombs?
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,576 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm using LCap, Cyclops, MnMags. None of them can take a hit in the round I'm in, which actually frees me from the need to use health packs if they're over a 1000 hp or so. Less than that, they can very easily die from match damage.

I'd say I win somewhere between 2/3 to 3/4 of the time with about 1/3 of that with losing just one character. If I have enough board control, I sacrifice MnMags first, then Cyke. If I lose LCap my only real hope is "Full Blast" to end the match quickly.

Sure, that sounds okay on paper, but having a Total Party Wipeout 1/3 to 1/4 of the time just plain sucks - it's really hard on health packs. If I was actually grinding for points and not just idly trying to get the red Vision cover, I'd be very much not happy.